• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Microsoft using a Nvidia GTX 7xx in the Xbox One demo units?

Cross posting.

asd.png

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I would say Michael looks more like the douche-bag in that exchange. Why so defensive anyway?

WOW!

I cannot believe this is for real.

How can they possibly explain how this is legitimate?

It is totally deceptive and duplicitous.

I would say Michael looks more like the douche-bag in that exchange. Why so defensive anyway?

He just talked about how his team and others worked so hard to get their games running on real ps4 devkits. If you're a developer working on the game in those pictures, a statement live that could come off a slight against your teams effort.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
He just talked about how his team and others worked so hard to get their games running on real ps4 devkits. If you're a developer working on the game in those pictures, a statement live that could come off a slight against your teams effort.

It just seems to proper response in that case would be something like:

"We made the decision to use PC hardware until the Xbone development kits were finalized. We don't expect any difference in quality in the final release."

Maybe the shitty Xbone development kits are supposed to stay a secret, or you can't talk about them due to some agreement?

Edit: Also, Jonathan has been pretty pissed at MS's treatment of Indie devs lately, so that also also likely played into his tone and reasoning. Regardless you should try to be the bigger guy, especially in a public setting.

hirokazu

The check would not be enabled on dev units.
No!

WOW!

I don't think it's very surprising if there are not enough dev kits to go around and/or dev kits are not ready. The bigger question how many games where actually running on dev kits, and if the majority was running on PC, how did this happen 5 months from launch?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

Stress filled week of e3, showing off your game to the public hoping for good news, and having another dev fueling the fire of console hate using your product and your decision...

It's a tightrope, and obviously he was pissed that Xbone/his game are being thrown under the bus for an image that people would obviously salivate over given the bad feelings towards the console.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Michael Wilford was using hostility as a mean to hush Jonathon Blow.
Wilford, I won't be buying your game, as you sound like a total a-hole.

Seems like a non-story to me. Maybe we'll see another Aliens:CM situation, but that kind of thing is rare.

The trend of "in-engine" trailers masquerading as gameplay is a lot more deceptive, IMO. This is just a reality of regular development practices.

I don't think it's very surprising if there are not enough dev kits to go around and/or dev kits are not ready. The bigger question how many games where actually running on dev kits, and if the majority was running on PC, how did this happen 5 months from launch?

Doesn't seem that strange to me, these games have been running on PC far longer than the dev hardware. And E3 builds are notoriously a lot of work, some devs probably choose not to add to that by trying to fit a one-time vertical slice demo onto a dev kit before they're ready.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Guys, the only reason they're running on PC is to emulate the daily Xbox Live DRM check since these things are not connected to the Internet. How embarrassing would it be if your demo units refused to run your games!

Non-story here.

I hope this is a joke, otherwise it is the most ridiculous rationalization I have seen yet. The cloud one wsa pretty bad too. Use Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is most often true. These people are running PC versions and passing them off as XB1 hardware and code.

belmonkey

I tried making a thread about them using GTX 780s on Battlelog, but it got locked as damage control because of ongoing platform wars. Is it most definitely a GTX 780 though? I heard that it could also be a 680, although I kinda think the only reason they'd skip out on a Radeon 7970 (instead of using GTX 680) is that they'd be going for even more power, and Radeon doesn't have a better single card than 7970.

Vaporak

WOW!

You do realize this is pretty much the status quo for advertising right. Or did you think all these big companies PR teams really used the sub HD console versions to advertise to you. It's pretty much an open secret that just about everything at E3 is running on computers and has been for years.

madmackem

You do realize this is pretty much the status quo for advertising right. Or did you think all these big companies PR teams really used the sub HD console versions to advertise to you. It's pretty much an open secret that just about everything at E3 is running on computers and has been for years.

There is a slight difference between running on dev kits/sameish speced pcs and running on straight up pcs that have way more raw power than the target next gen machine can offer. I guess there is going to be alot of hours put in to crunch those games shown down to xbone spec. At this point i think everyone is slightly suspicious of everything xbone.

TheD

The Detective
No!

YES!

It would not be enabled on dev units and even if it was, you would only need one PC to emulate it!

Caayn

Isn't that essentially where every Xbox One owner is going?
Come on, everyone already knows how people feel towards the DRM policies from Microsoft. There's no need to try to derail every thread into the same DRM topic.

Demon Ice

Banned
Don't certain brands of GTX 680/670/660 have that labeling as well? I don't see anything to suggest it's a Titan/780/770 cooler.

Eusis

Nah, it would be pretty crazy to rely on that in E3's environment, you'd have network problems all over the place.
And you wouldn't spec them that high, you'd just get some $400 desktops that won't break on a stream. Nevermind that the stream quality would probably be bad and have the opposite effect: games reported to look WAY worse than they would at launch. And with shit input lag.

So in reality: do Xbox One games nativly run on any Windows 7 system but they shove in some DRM so it can only be played on Xbox one?

hold on. That's actually kind of interesting.

could it be possible that this big machine is acting like the cloud and the box on the right in the other pictures is actually the dev kit??

.maybe a cloud server for all the machines on the row??

Ok, this is pure gold.

Rashid

Banned
The Titan or whatever card it had also has 6GB GDDR5 RAM. Means PS4 games will look even better as it has 33% more GDDR5 RAM then the kits the xbone games were running on?!

Launch day is going to be glorious

All the comparisons to the e3 demos, people losing their shit because of the visual downgrades.

I cannot wait.

Stimpack

We're given bullshots and CGI trailers left and right that are meant to convince us of a realistic representation of what we're going to get. This has gone on for many years. I don't understand how this is shocking/appalling/disgusting to anyone.

You wait for the consoles to come out, then you make your judgments.

Glasshole

Banned
Umm look at the pictures ffs you would have drawn the same conclusion if presented with that.. If you look further down it was confirmed that the "cloud" was placed there through a shop. Even then due to the other pictures posted you could speculate(like we all are) that this could be a cloud server and the dev kits are the smaller boxes in the other pictures posted here.

Regarding the rest. XNA was still emulation, off course you will still need Dev Kits. Emulation will never ever == Actual hardware.

My reason for bringing XNA up is that in fact they did build a layer through XNA for playing games on a PC. In XNAs case it was a layer that was able to compile for both X86 and PowerPC(xbox360) targets. Not as robust as the actual dev kit since the architecture was so different from that of a PC. Now you are developing for the same base target which is x64. This obviously alleviates part of the problem of emulation but not all of it since you still have custom hardware compared to standard hardware.

1. That pic was called out for being photoshopped several pages ago. The original picture is even in the OP.

2. There's a difference between speculation and, as an other poster said, clutching at straws.

3. I won't comment on your XNA fantasies.

Look, it's pretty easy. It has been said that they're 6 months behind - it seems to be true, like many rumours regarding the XBONE. One of the rumours is that we'll see a downgrade in graphics At release, and I believe it's credible. Lucky for you, it's only gonna be 5 months from now, so we will consequenlty see if those are really devkits, magic clouds, secret sauce or anything else defensive average fanboys made up.

I mean, the sheer fact alone that they're using nVidia cards should have you asking uncomfortable questions.

Sean*O

Doesn't make it right. Let's take you for a test drive down Coast HWY in a Ferrari, but you're actually going to be driving that route in the equivolant of a V6 Accord Hybrid come launch.

Unless they choke back the hardware, and why would they, it's all pie in the sky.

"Well, we hope to iron out the kinks and it should actually drive this road just like a Ferrari by launch time."

I understand why they are doing it, but it's still something that can lead to misrepresentation in the media (which publishers seem to embrace by and large) and it's easy to see how some people can feel cheated.

Good, hopefully this means PC titles will come out good and strong Lessing the need for a Xbox :)

Maybe we will see some kind of emulator removing the need for activation ;)

Really interested what the mod community are planning for the Xbox one, for them it must be looking like a good challenge

Top Bottom