• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii Fit U | OT | Don't Forget to Breathe!

maxcriden

Reposting from Miiverse:

Scuba search is amazing! I can see why people want an Endless Ocean for Wii U!

zlCfzRMg7x4YpqgEVi

This parfait is pretty tricky!

zlCfzRMc1z8ABFe--n

iphys

Nintendo moved the release date for Wii Fit U + Fit Meter and Wii Fit U + Fit Meter + Balance board to January 10.

I wonder why?

What's weird is the Fit Meter/game bundle finally went up on Club Nintendo for intend-to-buy just yesterday I think, but it expires Dec 6th like the game is still coming out on the 13th. There's no intend-to-buy for the Balance Board bundle even. I had been wondering why there was no intend-to-buy for either last week when the release date was still the 13th. I swear Nintendo has no idea what they're doing with this game. Launch window title, lol!

Bwana Whiskey

Neo Member
Can I buy a meter a few months down the road and still receive the game for free? Or do I need to buy one before the trail is over? I have 14 days before my trail period ends.

Lexxism

No, you can't. I read that you can by changing the region of your WiiU to your desire country but I don't if it is possible to change countries in WiiU.

Tokieda

Can I buy a meter a few months down the road and still receive the game for free? Or do I need to buy one before the trail is over? I have 14 days before my trail period ends.

I don't anyone actually knows, given that noone has tried it yet. I'd think so, but I'm not sure...

iphys

They're a measurement of how much exercising you're doing.

The thing I don't get is we don't get any fit credits for walking with the Fit Meter. Before I got my Fit Meter, I was inputting my steps from my 3DS and walking time in the activity log, and I was getting credit for steps and Calories burned/fit credits. Now that I got the Fit Meter, it doesn't give me any fit credits for my steps, but I can't input my walking time in the activity log to get fit credits or that would give me double Calories burned. Not that I really care abut my fit credits, but it does seem strange to me that your activity with the Fit Meter isn't worth any.

How's the actual workouts in this game? I've been lousy at working out past couple months and want to get back into it. Would this be good in conjunction with my gym membership or should I even bother?

zigg

Not that I really care abut my fit credits, but it does seem strange to me that your activity with the Fit Meter isn't worth any.
The Fit Meter and the traditional Fit Credits scheme seem to be completely orthogonal to each other, really. They both push up your calories burned estimate, but other than that, I'm pretty sure they're unrelated.

I agonized for a bit over how to record my stationary bike rides, because the Fit Meter picks them up (though at a very low calorie level) and it's also useful for me to know how long I rode. I ended up just adding Activity Log minutes for the ride time at a MET level that added with the Fit Meter's calorie estimate to come up with a decent calorie number.

maxcriden

How's the actual workouts in this game? I've been lousy at working out past couple months and want to get back into it. Would this be good in conjunction with my gym membership or should I even bother?

My experience is that it really depends how much you put into it and which exercises you choose to do. There are plenty of cardio and strength training exercises in the game that can help you work up a good sweat.

Goodlife

Not sure if this has been covered, but I downloaded WiiFitU a while ago and my MIL has bought me a fitness meter for Xmas.
The trial will expire before Xmas, so was wondering if I could still activate the full game after Christmas, or will I have to buy the full version?
If that's the case I'll just steal it off her for a day, register, then give it back to her.

D-e-f-

Banned
Not sure if this has been covered, but I downloaded WiiFitU a while ago and my MIL has bought me a fitness meter for Xmas.
The trial will expire before Xmas, so was wondering if I could still activate the full game after Christmas, or will I have to buy the full version?
If that's the case I'll just steal it off her for a day, register, then give it back to her.

A) the trial expires after 30 days of use! Not 30 days period. (second hand info)
B) Christmas is still within the trial period which ends January 31st.
C) You're fine.

Kuntz

Second wiimote plus get !

Can't wait to finally try the dances, from the feedback here they are really fun and a good workout.

My ready is body.

maxcriden

Can't wait to finally try the dances, from the feedback here they are really fun and a good workout.

My ready is body.

Dance is great. I am pretty terrible at the ones I have tried, other than popping and locking, though.

iphys

My ready is body.

Hip hop is my favourite, and the most intense. Locking is my second favourite. I think dance mat games are probably better than the balance board, but I've never had the chance to try the mat. The balance board seems kind of clunky, especially when you have to step off and on to it: a couple times I haven't got my feet back on quite properly and nearly tripped myself on it or fell off the thing, and sometimes it doesn't seem to register me stepping back on to it unless I stomp it a bit, and I don't want to break it doing that, so I've been trying to avoid the dance activities that have a lot of footwork.

Robin64

I'm not sure why you'd want to cheat with Fitness software. Surely you want the most accurate results possible as the only benefit is your own health.

Sendou

I'm not sure why you'd want to cheat with Fitness software. Surely you want the most accurate results possible as the only benefit is your own health.

Is wearing it while sleeping cheating at all though? I bet you burn calories if you move while asleep so it shouldn't be neglected. The problem is how accurately the meter can follow that movement.

L~A

I think they unlocked new games and stuff in Wii Fit, but I don't know what it does in Wii Fit U.

In some exercices, it allows you to quit an exercise midway and still got the calories burnt taken into account. It asked me if I wanted to do just that when I was doing the advanced cycling exercise.

Honest question: Would it be considered cheating to wear the fit meter while I'm asleep?

It doesn't much, unless you're running marathons while you sleep. The Fit Meter tracks activity even when you're just sitting on a chair (that's how I get 12 calories burnt every morning when I go to do my daily routine, even though I've been wearing the Fit Meter for, like, 2mn).

Your body is still burning calories while you sleep/you're sitting, and the Fit Meter takes that into account.

By the way, anyone got a tip for the running exercise? Wiimote detection thing is unreliable at best...

Robin64

Is wearing it while sleeping cheating at all though? I bet you burn calories if you move while asleep so it shouldn't be neglected. The problem is how accurately the meter can follow that movement.

I'm sure you do, you burn calories by living. Accordingly, we burn an average of 77 calories per hour while asleep. Thing is, I don't think any calories loss/gain requirements listed in various places take into account calories burnt while sleeping.

For example, Wii Fit wants me to burn about 700 calories per day right now. If I take my period of sleeping from midnight to 8am when I wake, I've already burnt 616. Just 84 to go!

iphys

Honest question: Would it be considered cheating to wear the fit meter while I'm asleep?

I have fallen asleep on my couch with it, and it doesn't seem to record anything. I think I read somewhere that you have to record at least 6 steps at a time for it to count them, so even if you turn over once every 10 minutes or something, it probably won't count it at all. I'd be more worried about turning over on to it and breaking it.

Real cheating would be nudging it up and down in your hand, but why bother when there's no reward like the play coins on the 3DS?

L~A

I have fallen asleep on my couch with it, and it doesn't seem to record anything. I think I read somewhere that you have to record at least 6 steps at a time for it to count them, so even if you turn over once every 10 minutes or something, it probably won't count it at all. I'd be more worried about turning over on to it and breaking it.

Real cheating would be nudging it up and down in your hand, but why bother when there's no reward like the play coins on the 3DS?

Nah, the Fit Meter does record something, though obviously, it doesn't take into account your "movements" in your bed. But you don't even need to have it on you at all (I don't keep it while sleeping).

But the point is, like you said, putting it on you while sleeping won't do much :p

maxcriden

By the way, anyone got a tip for the running exercise? Wiimote detection thing is unreliable at best...

Sure thing. If you're putting the Wiimote in your pocket, I would say it is not going to work as well. I haven't done the running exercise on Wii Fit U yet, but on Wii Fit Plus I had good results when holding the Wiimote in my hand. I would also say try to keep pace with the leader as much as possible, it seems to register best that way.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Sure thing. If you're putting the Wiimote in your pocket, I would say it is not going to work as well. I haven't done the running exercise on Wii Fit U yet, but on Wii Fit Plus I had good results when holding the Wiimote in my hand. I would also say try to keep pace with the leader as much as possible, it seems to register best that way.

me too I was holding the remote in my hand

Kolgar

But theoretically wouldn't it maximize the USB 2.0 speed? I have the flash drive ordered for $15, a price I'm willing to pay to upgrade my Wii U storage.

Give it a try. It'll work as fast as it works. The more important thing is whether it will keep working.

I plugged a nice 32gb PNY stick into my Wii U and enjoyed a spacious refrigerator for months. Then one day, the Wii U didn't recognize it. I turned off the console, unplugged the stick, put it back in. My stuff's still there, but I'm not sure the stick solution is reliable. Nintendo recommends an external hard drive.

Still, I choose to live dangerously. ;)

Bullza2o

Give it a try. It'll work as fast as it works. The more important thing is whether it will keep working.

I plugged a nice 32gb PNY stick into my Wii U and enjoyed a spacious refrigerator for months. Then one day, the Wii U didn't recognize it. I turned off the console, unplugged the stick, put it back in. My stuff's still there, but I'm not sure the stick solution is reliable. Nintendo recommends an external hard drive.

Still, I choose to live dangerously. ;)

Flash drives are not reliable because of their lack of write/read speeds compared to a HDD. That's why I want this faster stick. I think they also wear out more quickly, but I only plan on using it for download-only games like Wii Fit U and DLC that might be spacious.

Hoodbury

I've gotten a score of 0 now twice doing Plank. The trainer keeps saying I'm doing great throughout the time and then the score comes up 0. I had to do a quick adjustment since it's so uncomfortable having your arms on the board like that, but it's like a split second the circle goes outside the box.

Other exercises you can have the dot go outside the box and still get a score but why does Plank give you a zero?

69wpm

Flash drives are not reliable because of their lack of write/read speeds compared to a HDD. That's why I want this faster stick. I think they also wear out more quickly, but I only plan on using it for download-only games like Wii Fit U and DLC that might be spacious.

Sticks are not made to be constantly read, they will die within months if you use them with the Wii U, it's really not worth it.

iphys

I've gotten a score of 0 now twice doing Plank. The trainer keeps saying I'm doing great throughout the time and then the score comes up 0. I had to do a quick adjustment since it's so uncomfortable having your arms on the board like that, but it's like a split second the circle goes outside the box.

Other exercises you can have the dot go outside the box and still get a score but why does Plank give you a zero?

Yeah, I've gotten 0 for it sometimes too. The scoring is incredibly unkind. I'd rather just do it on the rug than the uncomfortable board.

L~A

But that's what I do, the detection is crap. Even if I keep the same pace, my Mii sometimes decided to just start sprinting for no reason. Some I'm trying to keep pace with the guide (which I actually managed to do for the island lap, but not the short ones...), but there's always one point where my Mii just starts running fast erratically.

I'll try holding the Wiimote in my hand, though it's worked just fine for one session (60% burn rate, 30% for all the others). No idea why. Any special way to walk?

maxcriden

But that's what I do, the detection is crap. Even if I keep the same pace, my Mii sometimes decided to just start sprinting for no reason. Some I'm trying to keep pace with the guide (which I actually managed to do for the island lap, but not the short ones...), but there's always one point where my Mii just starts running fast erratically.

I'll try holding the Wiimote in my hand, though it's worked just fine for one session (60% burn rate, 30% for all the others). No idea why. Any special way to walk?

Yeah, the burn rate itself I have noticed is incredibly inconsistent and hard to get right. I would say keep your arms up as you jog, and try to keep as measured a pace as possible. That is strange that your Mii runs fast erratically, it could have something you do with the way you move your arms. From what I understand the healthiest way to jog is to land with your feet as flatly on the floor as you can. I do it this way and haven't had the issue you are describing so that might help somehow.

Nicktals

Banned
Yeah, what in the world does burn rate mean anyways? I did a few times with it in my pocket, or arms, and get around 90%. My wife sticks it in her bra and has gotten 200%, regularly 150-170%

ozfunghi

I got a question:

I already owned a Wii balance board, i downloaded Wii Fit U, my girlfriend is bringing home a fitmeter tonight... but the WiiU is split over two users (accounts). Does every user need his own fit meter to unlock the game, or is one fit meter enough to unlock it on all the accounts on the same WiiU?

L~A

Yeah, the burn rate itself I have noticed is incredibly inconsistent and hard to get right. I would say keep your arms up as you jog, and try to keep as measured a pace as possible. That is strange that your Mii runs fast erratically, it could have something you do with the way you move your arms. From what I understand the healthiest way to jog is to land with your feet as flatly on the floor as you can. I do it this way and haven't had the issue you are describing so that might help somehow.

Ok, gonna try that tomorrow. Tahnks a bunch.

ps: do you actually run? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong :p

I got a question:

I already owned a Wii balance board, i downloaded Wii Fit U, my girlfriend is bringing home a fitmeter tonight... but the WiiU is split over two users (accounts). Does every user need his own fit meter to unlock the game, or is one fit meter enough to unlock it on all the accounts on the same WiiU?

Activation work for all users, though the Fit Meter itself can only be used by 1 user at the same time.

maxcriden

Ok, gonna try that tomorrow. Tahnks a bunch.

ps: do you actually run? Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong :p

No problem!

Oh! Yes. I do actually run. I at least will jog. I can't do this exercise anymore because we moved and our downstairs neighbors freaked out when they heard me running in place upstairs.

Was the golf swing analyzer new in Wii Fit U? I don't remember if it had the New! text on it

I'd like to think it's helping my swing, but I just got to get used to it. Although I think it's highlighting what was already wrong with my swing :lol

Top Bottom