• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Kingdom Hearts 3 Preview

Vashetti

Banned
"The end also means a new beginning, and I'm certain that as this story arc ends, players will be able to look forward -- carrying this excitement -- for something new and different, never-before-seen in the series," he says.

iOS

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I am starting to think SE might have switched around FFXV with KH3. Maybe they decided to release KH3 first then FFXV.

By the looks of it that's what is going to happen.KH3 actually got kinda more coverage than XV(if you discount the versus stuff)

Not sure which method would give SE a more shitty rep. lol. (not a serious comment.)

Famassu

Spoiler about Saix and DDD ahead

He's already confirmed to be one of them as showed in Dream Drop Distance.
Ah, yes. It's been well over a year since I last played DDD so I've forgotten some details. Will replay soon.

I'd say that and I fail to see what's "next gen" about the visuals from what we've seen.
Sigh. What you've seen is some extremely early footage. It's in no way representitive of what the game will look like after they've worked on it for at least two more years. They've just decided to listen to some complaints about never showing the games they've announced. Clearly they made a mistake and they shouldn't have shown any footage of KHIII at that Disney event as some people don't seem to understand how games don't look as good 2+ years in advance of the release as they will once development of the game is completed

yeah...I mean you'd expect FFXV to hog all the spotlight before anything KH3 related shows up ,but I guess SE likes to mess around.
Well, we already kind of know a fuckton of stuff from FFXV. Not necessarily super detailed info, but we have gotten info on the protagonists, antagonists, the world & main premise behind the story + plenty if small details, seen combat and some other gameplay stuff, seen two of the major cities in the game (of maybe, what, 3-5) etc. etc. They can't really start marketing the game too much yet since that would mean we would easily wander into spoiler territory too soon before release. Though, it should be about time for the game to resurface soon.

FFXV is in a kind of weird spot in how it's been so long since its announcement that they've actually trickled out plenty of information of the game and what kinds of plans they have for gameplay, story and everything, yet due to the generational leap from PS3 to PS4Bone, it might still be in a transitional phase where they simply don't want to show too much of the game because much of the work of upgrading the visuals and bringing it to next generation might still be somewhat unfinished.

Besides, there's a clear reason why KHIII was shown at the D23 event. It's probably the biggest most critically acclaimed Disney including game franchise around. I wouldn't necessarily expect to see KHIII again too soon. Maybe at TGS 2014 next, properly, with some smaller previews, interviews and maybe small teasers at most in the meanwhile, whereas I fully expect them to start the usual pre release hype machine for FFXV 6months prior to release next year at some point.

I am starting to think SE might have switched around FFXV with KH3. Maybe they decided to release KH3 first then FFXV.

By the looks of it that's what is going to happen.KH3 actually got kinda more coverage than XV(if you discount the versus stuff)

Unlikely but not impossible. KH games have been rushed out before like KH2 and DDD (especially the latter) but still maintaining a quality high enough for them not to get XIII like backlash outside of the smaller titles in the series. I think they have much higher standards for XV than they have for KH3. If one of those will be rushed out it will be KH, XV will be much more important title for them if they want to repair the damage done to the brand. Fans will gobble up KH3 even if it is just a fun button mashing action RPG with requested Disney cameos/worlds no matter how shitty the plot is, no matter how mediocre the graphics are. Osaka team working on KH3 made a good job on DDD if you think about it. It definately felt rushed and a mess of different design decisions. An experimental title of sorts. They shat that game out for relatively new hardware in less than 2 years and it was technically the most impressive title on the platform along with Resident Evil. KH3 will of course be in development for longer but I wouldn't doubt for a second that those guys can shit out impressively next gen KH game very fast even if it meant cutting corners. They'll just do what they did with KH2 and rerelease the game again fixed in a year and fans will buy it again.

If XV releases in unimpressive form the franchise would get a huge blow. KH3 can dissapoint but as long as it is flashy and has tons of new crossover content that will be enough no matter how brainless the gameplay itself is.

That being said I have no clue what form KH3 will be released in. I don't even dare guess.

Famassu

Unlikely but not impossible. KH games have been rushed out before like KH2 and DDD (especially the latter) but still maintaining a quality high enough for them not to get XIII like backlash outside of the smaller titles in the series. I think they have much higher standards for XV than they have for KH3. If one of those will be rushed out it will be KH, XV will be much more important title for them if they want to repair the damage done to the brand. Fans will gobble up KH3 even if it is just a fun button mashing action RPG with requested Disney cameos/worlds no matter how shitty the plot is, no matter how mediocre the graphics are. Osaka team working on KH3 made a good job on DDD if you think about it. It definately felt rushed and a mess of different design decisions. An experimental title of sorts. They shat that game out for relatively new hardware in less than 2 years and it was technically the most impressive title on the platform along with Resident Evil. KH3 will of course be in development for longer but I wouldn't doubt for a second that those guys can shit out impressively next gen KH game very fast even if it meant cutting corners. They'll just do what they did with KH2 and rerelease the game again fixed in a year and fans will buy it again.

If XV releases in unimpressive form the franchise would get a huge blow. KH3 can dissapoint but as long as it is flashy and has tons of new crossover content that will be enough no matter how brainless the gameplay itself is.

That being said I have no clue what form KH3 will be released in. I don't even dare guess.
KHII wasn't rushed in any sense of the word. They just got quite a lot of negative feedback about different things in the game (too easy, Organization members weren't fleshed out at all, could have had more extra content, lack of platforming) so Nomura fixed some stuff and fleshed it out (harder, more scenes with org xiii,more extra boss battles etc) The Final Mix release of II would have been done anyways (they are partly done to appease some fans who want to hear Disney's English VAs) and Nomura just took advantage of that and added all that stuff.

KHII wasn't rushed in any sense of the word. They just got quite a lot of negative feedback about different things in the game (too easy, Organization members weren't fleshed out at all, could have had more extra content, lack of platforming) so Nomura fixed some stuff and fleshed it out (harder, more scenes with org xiii,more extra boss battles etc) The Final Mix release of II would have been done anyways (they are partly done to appease some fans who want to hear Disney's English VAs) and Nomura just took advantage of that and added all that stuff.

I dare say KH2 was rushed. Mainly the lack of content, bad textures or just plain wrong textures that had to be fixed in FM. The game while impressive on technical levels and gameplay wise was very barebones release compared to the final version. I do think they cut a lot of ideas they had just for the sake of Final Mix and to get it released in 2005.

I wouldn't say the new difficulty setting and such were a part of this but KH2FM doesn't only feel like a game where they added new content, it almost makes the original look like it wasn't really the product they wanted to release.

Or if that isn't the case and they went from KH1FM to KH2 and didn't see the problems then the designers were more incompetent than I'm willing to believe. I just think it is much more plausible they polished the core game as well as they could and cut a bunch of cool ideas that should have been in the game in the first place, mainly the side content, and decided to put them in Final Mix 2.

There was an interview with Nomura back when KH2 released and how he didn't have any plans for FM. I just don't believe that at all.

I know, it's just jarring how Sora/Kairi/Riku had a connection to
Ven/Aqua/Terra
and thus that was the explanation for them being able to wield one, while
Lea
just... asks and receives. Sure did whatever it was he needed to 'succeed' quick though, even Yen Sid looked as shocked as everyone else when that Keyblade popped into his hand.

There was a scene in
Birth by Sleep
where he
touches the toy keyblade Ventus received from Terra. I wonder if that counts as the inheritance ritual?

edit:
I mean, they were fine with Kairi "accidentally" receiving one, so I don't think it's too far-fetched.

Malyse

Wonder if there'll be a new kid introduced in Kingdom Hearts 3 to be revealed as another wielder or something, and they'll use him as the new hero for Kingdom Hearts games after that.

Much more likely that we'll start out as Kairi
This game is coming in 2015. I can feel it.

Yes. 2.5 in 2014 and 3 in 2015, (unless we get a RE or FM of Dream Drop in 15), thus keeping with the one KH a year we've been getting.

Some of it is? Unless I missed an earlier interview.

Mainly:

That's not really new for people who played 3D
Ah, I could've sworn he mentioned that the new saga would introduce a new hero. I'm probably mixing that up with introducing a new villain since this is after all the "Xehanort Saga". If they're going to keep using Sora, I wonder how long Haley Joel Osment will keep with it. He doesn't do much of anything anymore does he?

Pretty certain he said that KH will always be the story of Sora. Plus they've changed VO before. I mean, we've have like three or four Aeriths.
Deleted that post, posting again

The 7 Keyblade weilders are
Sora

Riku

Kairi

Mickey

Ven or Roxas

Aqua

Terra ]
Don't count on
Sora and Terra being two of the seven. Also, Terra is corrupted by Xehanort; I think you mean Aqua. Plus Lea has a keyblade.
the human comes back, not the nobody. roxas IS the nobody. sora is the human. hes already back...
Nobodies can grow their own hearts and they've said that everyone whose become a part of Sora can return (AKA Ventus, Roxas, and even Xion)

Basically, you need to play or read up on Dream Drop Distance before you have conversations about KH plots, because that game seriously had a lot of revelations in it.
Nobodies can grow hearts! Sora falls to darkness! Isa is back! Organization XIII was empty shells for Xehanort to take over! Lea has a keyblade! Kairi is being trained by Master Yen Sid! Everyone can come back!

There was a scene in
Birth by Sleep
where he
touches the toy keyblade Ventus received from Terra. I wonder if that counts as the inheritance ritual?

edit:
I mean, they were fine with Kairi "accidentally" receiving one, so I don't think it's too far-fetched.

Since nobodies can grow hearts, he could have got it from Ven's heart in Roxas (or even Xion). I'm pretty sure he picked up a keyblade at some point in Organization XIII.

I wonder if he'll make Riku be one of the 13 rather than a Light-wielder. (Hope not, though, already earned his redemption more than once)

I'm expecting the Lea/Isa plot has conclusion too.

This game is shaping up to be quite epic.

Malyse

Also if Riku is your fave. Hes practically the lead character in this.
Not practically, literally. He does fight the end boss after all, and he's the only one to pass the mastery exam

I wonder if he'll make Riku be one of the 13 rather than a Light-wielder. (Hope not, though, already earned his redemption more than once)

I'm expecting the Lea/Isa plot has conclusion too.

This game is shaping up to be quite epic.
Definitely not. It's more likely that Sora is one of the darknesses: KH2 has shown us that he's fallible to machinations of darkness and 3D pushes that concept even farther. I mean:
Sora becoming overwhelmed by his own darkness near the end of the game makes all the more sense when you remember the quote prior to Sora fighting the Darkside the first time “The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.” Throughout the series Sora has been relying solely on the light and strengthening it inside him, thus inadvertently strengthening the darkness within him at the same time, but unlike Riku, Sora hasn’t been using the darkness, and thus when the Xehanorts stoke the darkness within him, he doesn’t know how to control it.

I literally think about Kingdom Hearts every day.

They need to get Star Wars in there.

What was the point of spending all those billions otherwise?
And Pixar, and Indiana Jones, and Marvel, and more Princesses.

Soriku

Wtf??

The stories in these games make zero sense

You're saying this in the face of one of the most straightforward plot points in the series?

You know it actually helps to familiarize yourself before saying something doesn't make sense or not.

Lucent

I just hope they don't leave us hanging for a long time on a console game again. There were too many handheld games in between 2 and this one (IMO).

Shin-Ra

I want furry characters (with "teh fur shading") and 3D-looking short grass ("teh grass shading") like Starfox Adventures and Shadow of the Colossus. EMPHASIS ON GRASS.

Dueck

Banned
My one and only request is that it have "previously..." summaries for the games in KH3. I don't care if it's a wall of text or cutscenes, I just missed a lot and won't go back. It'd be nice to have it all there to end this story.

Soriku

My one and only request is that it have "previously..." summaries for the games in KH3. I don't care if it's a wall of text or cutscenes, I just missed a lot and won't go back. It'd be nice to have it all there to end this story.

KH 3D did. I bet KH3 will as well. That said I recommend getting 1.5 and 2.5 if possible.

traveler

Not Wario
Wait, people are expecting late 2015 for this? C'mon, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. They've already said a) there will be a huge gap between XV and KH3 given the team overlap and b) that KH3 was shown off too early simply to placate fans in the long wait between installments. I would be surprised if the game comes out earlier than 2017 and if I had to put my money on a year, 2018 would be my pick.

Keyblade Wielder #5

kh-wakka-a.jpg

Oh yeah, bruddah!

Wait, people are expecting late 2015 for this? C'mon, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment. They've already said a) there will be a huge gap between XV and KH3 given the team overlap and b) that KH3 was shown off too early simply to placate fans in the long wait between installments. I would be surprised if the game comes out earlier than 2017 and if I had to put my money on a year, 2018 would be my pick.

I doubt it takes them over 4 years to develop this...

Also there is no team overlap. They ain't even located in the same place. Apart from Nomura and Shimomura kind of deals ect.

And the revealed too early is taken a bit too seriously methinks. I agree it WAS revealed too early but I think it is more about them having nothing to show for it than it being another Versus.

I am willing to change my nick into Donkey_Butt if the game isn't released in 2015-2016. Also if I had to bet on a date I'll stick with my old december 2015 in Japan and early 2016 in the west.

Boogiepop

So, since there's not much to discuss with the "info" anyway and similar discussion is going on... Can anyone remind me what the deal was with
time travel and Dreaming Worlds
from DDD? It's the only thing from the various plots that's still a little blurry in my memory, now that it's been a while since I played the game.
Were the dreaming worlds still dreaming, or was that time travel? Also... there was something with having needed to "be in that moment" in some form, yeah? Is it just something that can normally be done now? Or was it just an excuse to let Xehanort form an Organization XIII of himself? Also, I didn't count, but how many of them did we see there, and were any of them pulling the "we have our hood up so you can't tell who we are" thing?

For the most part I've kept up with the plots just by playing the games, but that got a little messy. Also, I guess I should probably play re:coded at some point, seeing as all the plots are apparently relevant. Which reminds me that the new phone game exists. I really hope I don't have to play that to keep up.

Malyse

So, since there's not much to discuss with the "info" anyway and similar discussion is going on... Can anyone remind me what the deal was with
time travel and Dreaming Worlds
from DDD? It's the only thing from the various plots that's still a little blurry in my memory, now that it's been a while since I played the game.
Were the dreaming worlds still dreaming, or was that time travel? Also... there was something with having needed to "be in that moment" in some form, yeah? Is it just something that can normally be done now? Or was it just an excuse to let Xehanort form an Organization XIII of himself? Also, I didn't count, but how many of them did we see there, and were any of them pulling the "we have our hood up so you can't tell who we are" thing?
So from my understanding
the dreaming worlds haven't actually been interacted with, so they are still reusable. Personally, I don't think we will see them again, but it's doable. To answer the question, yes the dreaming worlds are still dreaming. Also, keep in mind that Sora and Riku didn't go to the right worlds. The Recusant Sigil pushed him into a part of Xehanort's choosing. The time travel is a thing where Xehanort can pull other instances of his consciousness into the present to wreck shit up. If you've seen the Day of the Doctor special it's like how all 13 Doctors can be in one instance and not break causality. Once Riku aced Young Xehanort, it fixed things for now. Of course, now that the potential is there, expect to fight Xemnas, Young Xehanort, Ansem SOD, and Master Xehanort (and possibly Terranort from BBS) through the course of KH3. Plus I wouldn't be shocked if No Heart from BBSFM and Lingering Sentiment somehow get invites to the party.
For the most part I've kept up with the plots just by playing the games, but that got a little messy. Also, I guess I should probably play re:coded at some point, seeing as all the plots are apparently relevant. Which reminds me that the new phone game exists. I really hope I don't have to play that to keep up.
RE: Coded is a lot of fun mechanics wise and systems wise, but aside from a few lines and further evidencing that anything can grow a heart, it's not extremely critical. There's a reason it's to be a movie in 2.5. I'd be more concerned with KHX[chi]. Shit just got canon.

What new phone game?
needs new track from utada
I would love to see her come back soon.
myself said:
I’m wondering what kind of song Hikaru would give us for the last game in the trilogy. I think that KH3 is likely to be the darkest entry in the series thus far, something that might unfortunately match with Hikki’s emotional state right now. You see, on August 22nd her mother committed suicide after an apparent bout with mental illness. In her first statement afterward, Hikaru stated that she was “beyond sad” and felt a lot of remorse. In her previous works, her life has somewhat reflected the tone of her music; when she go married her songs were one way, when she got divorced, another. So emotionally, I’m curious as to what she’d bring to the table for us this time. No doubt that it would be brilliant.

DigitalOp

Banned
Is there a chronological order to these?

My GF has told me she's interested in the series and I've played a bit of 1. This would be a good time for both of us to sit down and go through it.

I'm gonna start with KH HD 1.5

But how should I go through the series to make sense of the story...

Because once she gives up on the story.... Bye bye kingdom hearts....

I hope she makes it through the opening movie

Malyse

My GF has told me she's interested in the series and I've played a bit of 1. This would be a good time for both of us to sit down and go through it.

Play in this order:
KH1
KHCoM
KH2
KH Days (or watch)
KH BBS
KH coded (or watch or skip)
KH 3D
KH3

Boogiepop

So from my understanding
the dreaming worlds haven't actually been interacted with, so they are still reusable. Personally, I don't think we will see them again, but it's doable. To answer the question, yes the dreaming worlds are still dreaming. Also, keep in mind that Sora and Riku didn't go to the right worlds. The Recusant Sigil pushed him into a part of Xehanort's choosing. The time travel is a thing where Xehanort can pull other instances of his consciousness into the present to wreck shit up. If you've seen the Day of the Doctor special it's like how all 13 Doctors can be in one instance and not break causality. Once Riku aced Young Xehanort, it fixed things for now. Of course, now that the potential is there, expect to fight Xemnas, Young Xehanort, Ansem SOD, and Master Xehanort (and possibly Terranort from BBS) through the course of KH3. Plus I wouldn't be shocked if No Heart from BBSFM and Lingering Sentiment somehow get invites to the party.

RE: Coded is a lot of fun mechanics wise and systems wise, but aside from a few lines and further evidencing that anything can grow a heart, it's not extremely critical. There's a reason it's to be a movie in 2.5. I'd be more concerned with KHX[chi]. Shit just got canon.

What new phone game?
Thanks for the recap.

And my bad, I meant KHX[chi]. Forgot that it was a browser game, not a phone game. Just didn't have any interest in it. Guess it shows, since I didn't even realize it was out. Does it look to be important? I mean, even Days got to have some significance, so I'm worried about that one. For that matter, is it even any good?

Village

I would wait for 2.5 so she can play it in story order and have her get all the games in one go.

Malyse

Im honestly surprised they didn't move on this yet.
I think he'll play a major role in the next story arc. I wouldn't want them to waste a character with such potential

I don't know if there's some unwritten rule that one has to be a full member to receive a tag, but we all agree this has to be his right? This thread proved it.
I'm totally okay with that. I mean, I've had my profile like this since day one:
oUKfFmt.png

Thanks for the recap.

And my bad, I meant KHX[chi]. Forgot that it was a browser game, not a phone game. Just didn't have any interest in it. Guess it shows, since I didn't even realize it was out. Does it look to be important? I mean, even Days got to have some significance, so I'm worried about that one. For that matter, is it even any good?
I've been in since day one and honestly it's kind of a blast for what it is (that being a flash based browser game). There's a lack of story details what with my complete lack of understanding Japanese, but it's pretty addicting. And most importantly, it's pretty fair for a F2P. Granted, spending money will net you advantages, but even without paying there's a solid month or so of story content to get through. Now as for the story...

Nomura has already stated that KHX will tie directly to KH3 canon in an upcoming update and there's a group (of whom I count myself) who suspect that you're actually playing on the villains team in KHX. Ah...

Do y'all really care? Cause I don't want to type up this long ass post that no one wants to read, but there are some interesting things going on.

Actually, it's enough for a new thread I think. but I won't bother if y'all don't care. ^^;

EDIT: Oh, I need to change my steam name. Also, is there any way to change our NeoGAF name?

I've been in since day one and honestly it's kind of a blast for what it is (that being a flash based browser game). There's a lack of story details what with my complete lack of understanding Japanese, but it's pretty addicting. And most importantly, it's pretty fair for a F2P. Granted, spending money will net you advantages, but even without paying there's a solid month or so of story content to get through. Now as for the story...

Nomura has already stated that KHX will tie directly to KH3 canon in an upcoming update and there's a group (of whom I count myself) who suspect that you're actually playing on the villains team in KHX. Ah...

Do y'all really care? Cause I don't want to type up this long ass post that no one wants to read, but there are some interesting things going on.

Actually, it's enough for a new thread I think. but I won't bother if y'all don't care. ^^;

EDIT: Oh, I need to change my steam name. Also, is there any way to change our NeoGAF name?

1) Change your GAF name by PMing a mod.
2) I, for one, would read the shit out of that post
3) Just in case, I meant the tag thing in a good way!

Malyse

1) Change your GAF name by PMing a mod.
2) I, for one, would read the shit out of that post
3) Just in case, I meant the tag thing in a good way!

Oh, I'm not insulted. When I say I literally think about Kingdom Hearts everyday, I mean I literally think about Kingdom Hearts every. day.

Be back in a few then.

Malyse

So Kingdom Hearts χ[chi]. This game take place far far in the past of Kingdom Hearts in "the time of fairy tales" (a common misconception is that this is an actual fairy tale that Kairi's Grandmother told her, but I'm not buying that until I see the localization. Or, the game is being localized, BTW). There's two basic components to the game: boss battles and quests. The quests are further subdivided into three areas: story quests, event quests, and weekly quests. The story quests are just what they sound like: a Disney character will tell you "Save me from the heartless that's attacking" or "Help me find X number of X" and you'll go do it. It's just like any other MMO. Completing story quests actively effects the world in a way reminiscent of 358/2 Days: things you do in story quests like unlocking a door with cause that door to be forever open in that world and the types and strength of Heartless will increase as you continue. Weekly quests run from Sunday to Sunday and are basically run off the mill grinding. In fact, you can mostly ignore the weekly quests for story any event quests, because a good number of them overlap. For example, if the story quest is to kill 20 Yellow Operas and the weekly quest is to kill 10 heartless of any type, you're complete the weekly quest in the middle of the story quest. The Event quests are much like the other quests except much more esoteric: you have to kill X heartless, or do X damage to raid bosses, or (and this was very odd) you have to talk to your union members. The events tend to run for 2-3 weeks and can completely change the look of KHX; for example, the hub world is currently covered in snow and has a christmas tree up. Also, there are a ton of level 444 (!!) Christmas Tree Nightm- I mean Heartless. (I can't kill them).

The biggest difference between this and a regular MMO is that any action you take uses up your AP (ability points). Run out of AP and you either have to wait for it to recharge at 1AP every three minutes or use a potion to restore 10AP or hi potion to restore it all. You start out with 50 points and you gain an extra point for every member of your team up to 80 points. PLUS one of the bonuses for one of the weekly missions is an AP Up item, so I actually don't know what the max AP can be (likely 99). Also, you'll get potions almost constantly as rewards for missions and logins, so you can more or less play as much as you like. I for example have been playing for about four and a half months and I have 186 potions. This is the world screen showing Makine in Dwarf Woodlands:

0JVbDiD.png

The other major part of the game is the Raid Bosses. These are team based fights where you take on some of the major Heartless Bosses from the series, such as Darkside and Trickmaster. The key to these fights is to time it with your allies properly: if you attack within three minutes of your ally's attack, you'll get a combo bonus, which is literally your teammate(s) coming out and doing Sonic Rave on the raid boss for extra damage before you start up your own attack. The number of hits is equal to the current combo chain, so if you manage to get it to something ridiculous like 25, you see a nice orgy of keybladed violence unload on the bosses face before you even step in. In addition to the combo bonus, you'll get a bonus if your keyblade matches the enemies weakness.

GOp31QZ.png

The current raid boss is Trickmaster and since I'm wielding Starlight, I get a damage bonus as well. Doing attacks uses up BP (battle points). You have a total of 5 BP and the max you can use in an attack is three. Much like the AP, when your BP is gone, you can either wait for it to recharge at the rate of 1BP every 15 minutes, use and ether to restore one point or a hi ether to restore them all. Alternatively, you can use the BP share (I don't actually know what it's called) to restore a union mates BP, which will also restore a point for you as well. You can restore up to five points a day. They recently added two new wrinkles to the game that make it much easier to play. Alongside of gieing you a SR card for free once you hit level 20, they've added the Guilt system and a second chance mechanic. The second chance is pretty straight forward: if you are fighting a heartless and that heartless knocks you out in battle, you can immediately take the heartless on again with their HP to whatever you reduced it to and your fully restored. The Guilt system is actually quite interesting. Whenever you kill a heartless, you release three things: Lux (which I'll get into later), the Heart (of course) and occasionally this thing called Guilt. Again, since I can't read Japanese I don't know what was being said in the cutscene explaining guilt, but I do know that the players had been working for an imposter and something is pretty messed up ATM. In any cause, hunting specific heartless will release a certain amount of guilt, which will cause your damage again raid bosses to increase. This is Makine fighting Trickmaster and you can see her current guilt bonus off to the left hand side:

KxuK4Aj.png

The other major thing is the customizing. I'm certain by know you've all noticed Makine's adorable reindeer outfit. There are a number of outfits to be gained in KHX, but the main customizing is the Keyblade and your attack decks.

ERnxRve.png

Here you can see the current keyblade I have equipped and my current attack deck. If you look at the upper left corner of the card you'll see the red physical symbol, the blue magical symbol, and the green technical symbol. If you look beside the keyblade, you'll see the same symbols with a multiplication symbol and a number under it. This is how you make your critical hits. When you go into battle, your deck of nine is shuffled and you get three of your cards in random order. If the card type matches the position, then the damage is increased by the multiplier. On the earlier screen, you see that Makine's third blow was a critical hit. As you level up your keyblades with materials, you'll increase the number of bonus slots and the value of those bonuses as well.

The cards are customizable as well. Not only can you increase their level, but you can also limit cut them to increase their max level and attach skills to them to provide a variety of abilities. For example, my gullwings card has a strength up modifier as wel as a skill that makes it so defeating enemies has a card of dropping a rare card. There's another set of five support cards that increase your max HP and the amount of Lux you get from defeating enemies.

[It's 12:00am. My eyes are swimming, so I'll have to pick this up again tomorrow morning]

To do:
Lux
Foretellers
Unions
Story

Definitely not. It's more likely that Sora is one of the darknesses: KH2 has shown us that he's fallible to machinations of darkness and 3D pushes that concept even farther.

Yeah, it'd be interesting if he goes this route with Sora (but if he brings up Vanitas again (and if he still looks like him), it would be quite a weird interaction. Then, again, you have Ventus and Roxas so it's not impossible to consider)

neither

Still need to play DDD, can't get myself past Traverse Town cause I get distracted with other games (VLR)

But I expect to see this game come out in late 2015 (worldwide?)

Development is supposedly easier on next gen (well on ps4) so I hope that means faster dev time.

wmlk

Still need to play DDD, can't get myself past Traverse Town cause I get distracted with other games (VLR)

But I expect to see this game come out in late 2015 (worldwide?)

Development is supposedly easier on next gen (well on ps4) so I hope that means faster dev time.

Standards are high, so more expensive too. That offsets the supposed "easier" development ecosystem if you'd ask me.

Famassu

Standards are high, so more expensive too. That offsets the supposed "easier" development ecosystem if you'd ask me.
Sure, but part of the problem why Japan struggled was PS3's incredibly shitty hardware. When they don't have to fight with the hardware's complexities, they can focus more on just creating content and less on trying to figure out how in hell they get anything done on some stupidly complex hardware.

Malyse

Yeah, it'd be interesting if he goes this route with Sora (but if he brings up Vanitas again (and if he still looks like him), it would be quite a weird interaction. Then, again, you have Ventus and Roxas so it's not impossible to consider)

Spoiler tagged for a reason :(

Kingdom Hearts χ[chi]

Hmmm... never been a huge MMO guy, but these systems all sound quite interesting to me, especially the card/loot. Good to know this is getting localized in case my interest piques!

Great write up so far, this is OT material for when it gets released over here.

Malyse

Clipboard09.jpg

tumblr_muty4tfPqx1r9t4sfo1_1280.png

tumblr_muty4tfPqx1r9t4sfo2_1280.png

When you first start playing Kingdom Hearts χ[chi], you'll get some backstory about the time of fairytales and them be dropped into character customization. Outside of your gender, none of the choices you make here matter as they can all be changed later on. Then you'll be ask to pick which union you want to join. The availible unions (and their leaders) are:

Anguis
Anguis_Union_KHX.png
140px-The_Forteller_%28Anguis%29_KHX.png

Leopardos
Leopardos_Union_KHX.png
134px-The_Forteller_%28Leopardos%29_KHX.png

Unicornis (this is my union)
Unicornis_Union_KHX.png
163px-The_Forteller_%28Unicornis%29_KHX.png

Ursus
Ursus_Union_KHX.png
181px-The_Forteller_%28Ursus%29_KHX.png

and Vulpeus (this is the union where the most English players are)
Vulpeus_Union_KHX.png
139px-The_Forteller_%28Vulpeus%29_KHX.png

Immediately after you pick and confirm your union, you'll get your first keyblade and be dropped into the world. Specifically, you be dropped into Daybreak town.

tumblr_mpytfwYLkS1qjlludo1_1280.png

Where you'll immediately be attacked by a Darkside

Clipboard22.jpg

And will need your Union Foreteller to come in and save your ass. S/He will exchange a few blows with the Darkside and follow it into the Corridors of Darkness. After they've left a Moogle and a mysterious creature named Chirishii will give you your first combat tutorial as well as explain your mission: to defend the worlds from darkness and to collect the light, which is known as Lux.

This is a Lux
128px-Lux_KHX.png

This is Chirishii
200px-Chirishii_KHX.png

(Side note: Moogles are greedy assholes in this game. In one cutscene, Chirishii clearly drops a card and a Moogle picks it up, says it's his and offers to sell it back. This is a card you happen to need by the way.)

After you take down a shadow, the Darkside reappears and you must face it again. But this time you're not alone.

capture_127_17102013_174059.jpg

After your Raid Boss tutorial, your Foreteller comes back and explains about the emerging darkness in other world that you will need to defeat and prepares to send you on your way. Before leaving again, the Foreteller also warns the player of those who hoard the light for their own greed, seekers of darkness disguised as guardians of light. This is where it gets interesting IMO.

tumblr_msgget2RpT1rz0anso1_1280.jpg

I believe the implication is to not trust the other unions as they are seeking the light for a disingenuous purpose. But if that's the case, why should we trust the people in our own faction? I'd like to direct your attention to the five Foretellers shown up there. Note that you can't see what color their eyes are. I've a suspicion that that's because their eyes are gold. Granted that's just specualtion, but there's another thing I need to point out. Let's take a look at the Foreteller's Keyblades.

Anguis
Anguis_Keyblade_KHX.png

Leopardos
Leopardos_Keyblade_KHX.png

Unicornis
Unicornis_Keyblade_KHX.png

Ursus
Ursus_Keyblade_KHX.png

and Vulpeus
Vulpeus_Keyblade_KHX.png

Did you see it? No? Well, let me give you a few hints.

Void_Gear_%28Vanitas%29_KHBBS.png
Master_Xehanort%27s_Keyblade_KHBBS.png

Still no? Look at the Union leaders' keychains. Now look at Master Xehanort's and Vanitas's Keyblades. All of them have the blue Evil Eye, a mark of darkness. Now this could be a coincedence, but the KH team is absurdly deliberate with everything in the series, right down to the protagonists' names. Furthermore, Kingdom Hearts 2
and Dream Drop Distance
show that the protagonist is not above being completely manipulated for nefarious ends. Nomura announced that KHX will tie directly into canon (specifically into KH3) in an upcoming update and I believe that soon we'll be getting the start of the beginnings of the Keyblade war. In fact, just as the Land of Departures became Castle Oblivion and Radiant Garden became Hollow Bastion, I believe the eventual form of Daybreak Town will be the Keyblade Graveyard.

That's about all I have to say on Chi. If you have any questions or anything you want elaborated feel free. Or if you want to hear my concept for RE: χ[chi]...

tumblr_my2whisnhm1qci67mo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_my2whisnhm1qci67mo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_my2whisnhm1qci67mo3_1280.jpg

Hmm. Very interesting indeed. I didn't pay attention to chi lore even tho I know it is canon. Even more interesting than the evil eye (that is still present even in Rikus keyblade and Soul Eater/Double Soul Eater before it) is that Master Xehanorts keyblade is almost exactly like the ones Foretellers have. Instead he has the demonic goat as his animal and that faction is not in Chi it seems. Perhaps there is some sort of goat faction yet to be revealed that has connections to Xehanort in the far future. We still don't know what exactly made Xehanort go bad during his travels but we do know that the keyblade hes young self has/had doesn't have the eye but it does have a similar goat head on it.

Edit: Nevermind Young Xehanorts keyblade actually does have the eye too.

Malyse

Hmm. Very interesting indeed. I didn't pay attention to chi lore even tho I know it is canon. Even more interesting than the evil eye (that is still present even in Rikus keyblade and Soul Eater/Double Soul Eater before it) is that Master Xehanorts keyblade is almost exactly like the ones Foretellers have. Instead he has the demonic goat as his animal and that faction is not in Chi it seems. Perhaps there is some sort of goat faction yet to be revealed that has connections to Xehanort in the far future. We still don't know what exactly made Xehanort go bad during his travels but we do know that the keyblade hes young self has/had doesn't have the eye but it does have a similar goat head on it.

Edit: Nevermind Young Xehanorts keyblade actually does have the eye too.

Following the Chi naming convention, it would be the Capras faction, barring any artistic license to be employed. Leopardus, Ursus, and Vulpes are all genera of the animals the Unions represent: leopard, bear and fox, respectively. Interestingly, Anguis is not the genus of the snake, but rather of a slow moving legless lizard. Granted, it could be that Serpentes was too on the nose, but considering the absurd amount of thought given to names, I can't write it off as anything other than intentional. [/shameless self promotion]

I think Xehanort was always looking at the extreme side off things. He's never "went bad" so to speak because he's not an absolute evil. Xehanort is an extremist and a scholar with insatiable curiosity. He believes in balancing the forces of light in dark over sublimating dark for light.

Top Bottom