• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

LOL the Wii U beat the PS3. Never would've guessed. Sony HAS to price cut the PS3 really badly now!

I'm not sure Sony cares about selling lots of PS3 consoles. I think they would sell what they have in inventory at a high profit. If they are making $50 per machine they made 12 or so million dollars in the month.

Effer

Is this some kind of new sarcasm? I could barely tell that the Wii U was still for sale this holiday.

You can't find PS4s anywhere but I still see the "Perfect Day" commercial 3 or 4 times per hour. Nintendo probably doesn't even want to toss money at the Wii U right now since it will only make their operating profits look even worse.

Not intended as sarcasm, no. But it might as well be.

From my understanding Nintendo made efforts to advertise to younger demographics on the disney channel, set up demo kiosks in various malls, and even throw a backpack full of money at Ellen to have the Skylanders bundle appear on her show. I'm in the same boat as you, I didn't see a single advertisement myself-- but I don't watch television either so there's that consideration.

Valkyria

Banned
This one fits almost 100% over the original image:

capturaznz.png

From my understanding Nintendo made efforts to advertise to younger demographics on the disney channel

I watch a lot of disney channel, and there was lots of nintendo commercials, mostly about the 3ds family

donny2112

So COD Ghost sold more in PS4 than PS3.

If so, could explain some of the lower GT6 numbers, and would be a good sign that PS4 is going to hit the ground running with PS3's big franchises. No BC is forcing that choice to leave behind last gen pretty strongly for PS4/XB1 owners, I'd imagine.

fuck this shit

The W101 number really makes me sad. I'll admit I'm kind of 'new' to the awesomeness of Platinum Games (Revengeance was the first one of their games I had played), but W101 seems to be one of the best action games I've played in a long time. It's definitely one of those underrated gems.

I'm so glad I own a Wii U...XD. Looks like it being the next Dreamcast is confirmed and I am 100% okay with that.

Rad-

360 numbers are still pretty good but those PS3 numbers are bad. Strange that it's dropping that much. And CoD Ghost selling more on PS4 than PS3 what the...? PS3 software sales dying really fast as well?

ah man it's within 3k apparently!
I want to have an NPD month where one outsells the other by like 200 (yes that's with no k, just two hundred)

edit: hey NPD people, for a difference that small, would they make it so that the order is always preserved, or is there a chance that the last few digits that they throw in could lead to different people getting different rankings?

ascii42

I'm not sure Sony cares about selling lots of PS3 consoles. I think they would sell what they have in inventory at a high profit. If they are making $50 per machine they made 12 or so million dollars in the month.
Probably not from here on out, but given the number of games they released on PS3 last year, they could have benefited greatly by getting more people on board last year to buy them.

VillageBC

so that would put us at 909k xb1 and 906k PS4.

EDIT: using XB1 number as baseline to calculate PS4.

Assuming that image doesn't include handhelds. (Which it might not, missed the origin post if it made any claims) But assuming it doesn't, and the graph was made with real numbers and not just someone randomly with crayons....

I do believe that makes it a tie. Though if that was that close, I would expect Sony PR to be less 'we still lead overall' and more 'we also sold over 900k' this month.

qko

I watch a lot of disney channel, and there was lots of nintendo commercials, mostly about the 3ds family

Watching the Harry Potter marathon on that one Thanksgiving weekend on the Disney Family channel had the Wii U/ SMB3DW commercial every commercial break.

prag16

Banned
What did you expect for numbers after the WiiU performance so far on 2013?
He was going to get a snide remark in regardless of whether the number was 200k or 700k. He's Ninja Scooter. He's predictable.

Just need SM3DW numbers and I can go to bed.

From my understanding Nintendo made efforts to advertise to younger demographics on the disney channel, set up demo kiosks in various malls, and even throw a backpack full of money at Ellen to have the Skylanders bundle appear on her show. I'm in the same boat as you, I didn't see a single advertisement myself-- but I don't watch television either so there's that consideration.
Disney, eh? Good luck with that Nintendo. Those kids were way too busy playing Minecraft on their 360s to pay attention to your kid targeted ads.

Probably not from here on out, but given the number of games they released on PS3 last year, they could have benefited greatly by getting more people on board last year to buy them.

They have an install base for that. I would fathom that people buying a console this late in the game are doing so for CoD, Madden, Uncharted, and so on. Doubt it is for smaller games like Puppeteer.

Loudninja

We know the Xbox One did a total of 1817k for Nov and Dec and that the PS4 is higher than that.

The PS4 was about 1138k in Nov.

Edit:Thanks Aqua.

Rat Salad

Banned
Big congratulations for Microsoft on those nice numbers. Those sales are very much deserved. Best launch lineup in a very long time. F5,Ryse,DR3,KI.Peggle,and Max BrotherHood have me playing daily.

Those W101 numbers are a fucking travesty. How the hell did Lego sell so much? More than Pikmin, even? Jesus.

Crazy. Didn't expect that number to be so high for Wii U. I for one would have purchased the game for Wii U if it wasn't delayed. Instead, I had other things to play during it's week of release. Like, you know, GTA V.

they should go ahead and put Brain Age out on ios at this point for 99 cents. There isn't a chance in fuck people are going to pay $40 for a game like that on a dedicated gaming handheld in this day and age. What's the drop off between Brain Age DS and 3DS? LOL

Also, FUCK YEAH FIRE EMBLEM, FUCK YEAH ANIMAL CROSSING, FUCK YEAH LUIGI, FUCK YEAH MONSTER HUNTER ^_^

Best month ever.

Still dead.

January is going to be painfully bad if January 2013 is anything to go by...

Lego is an utter classic, it completely blows me away. There so much to explore, the writing and humor is HILARIOUS, and the game is shockingly polished, go look up the E3 2012 trailer and gameplay from then, holy fuck it was bad, and Lego games are infamous for framerate issues and tearing IIRC. All gone in LCU on Wii U in the final build, a VERY wise delay from Nintendo of what was supposed to be a launch title.

I'm also blown at how well Lego did on Wii U to boot, so happy, and don't fret, Pikmin came quite a bit later so it's actually doing better in terms of time span.

And WOW at Monster Hunter on 3DS, way more anyone could've expected from a port of a game already released years prior (MH3 on Wii), it helped there was a lot of buzz building from the time since it was announced. Wii U version did okay as well. :)

Shame about 101, and what were the SMT IV and Rune Factory 4 numbers from before? They look barely higher than their debut NPD numbers.

Sonic I think did pretty good considering it did less than 30k combined in their debut month, and considering the split now, that would likely be Wii U = 14K 3DS = 16k. a 5+x growth in two months is pretty good for the Wii U version.

Eager to see Sega's official worldwide LTD likely at the end of the month.

Skeff

What would be the LTD for all 3 of the next gen consoles if the PS4 did sell 900-905K?

XB1 1817k in US
PS4 2038k in US if PS4 sold 900k in Dec.

Assuming that image doesn't include handhelds. (Which it might not, missed the origin post if it made any claims) But assuming it doesn't, and the graph was made with real numbers and not just someone randomly with crayons....

I do believe that makes it a tie. Though if that was that close, I would expect Sony PR to be less 'we still lead overall' and more 'we also sold over 900k' this month.

I agree with that last part, Which is why my original guess when I saw the chart was 890k sold. The Chart is from a reliable source though it was never said handhelds were not on it, but the Red and Purple are too close for the 3DS to be there, one of them would need to be much larger.

prag16

Banned
Those Wii U numbers were achieved with significant investment in advertising and promotion. Ouch.

I don't know I'd say that. Significant by comparison to last year maybe.

How many people actually predicted 500k+? Yet a lot of people seem to be acting as if they're taken aback by the 481 number...

It's horribly weak in the grand scheme of things, but it's surprisingly good considering the Jan-Nov numbers.

One can make a variety of charts that will nearly overlay with the one posted.

So I guess that's as good an approximation as any.

Taking:
PS3 ~300K
PS4 ~900K
WII ~150K
WIU ~480K

Also sums to 1830K which would amount to 54% of the console market to Sony/Nintendo, to Microsoft's 46%.

Don't forget his prepared slide with the logos of 5 third party games when asked the question about third party support.

1. Watch Dogs
2. Lego Hobbit
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Sadly I'm serious.

WiiU numbers are actually better than I expected. I was worried it be below 400k.

Rat Salad

Banned
Hoping the PS3 has good price drop cause i want to play GT6 allot right now. Hope to see a 250 Gig GT6 Spring bundle for around $200.00 Make it happen Sony.

Jonboy

Can we all at least agree on this...putting GT6 on ps3 was a complete disaster. Should have been made a ps4 launch title or delayed until it was ready to release simultaneously on both.

Top Bottom