• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2013 [Up2: Xbox One/360 HW, 3DS top system of year]

Anth0ny

ibfP5VO6JDHGko.gif

My God have mercy on all you fucks with a Wii-U who didn't buy this

i was going to buy it but then i tried the demo and it just wasn't clicking for me

I bought the fuck out of that game day one

Wow.

There is no way that Iwata can deny that the WiiU strategy is a failure at this point.

Well, there is a way, but involves fantastic leaps of illogic, rainbows, and animal sacrifice. We'll see in two weeks.

Need to see if the 3DS is down year over year in the US, like it is in Japan. Troubling times in Kyoto.

Vita is dead. Is it even selling well enough to clear current inventory? Cause that's the only way we're getting the 2000 LCD revision. It may be awhile yet before that happens.

I love the little bastard, but you can get your forks out and commence sticking. It's done.

Skeff

Yeap, you could be right. But yes, seems to be very close indeed. Would also confirm that there really is a lot more demand for the PS4 comparative to the Xbox One.

Considering it's so difficult to tell the difference, I doubt the gap is bigger than 20k, maybe 900k Ps4 shipped, 890k sold 1k in shops 9k store returns(1%), but we really need someone with a protracter...

donny2112

All I know is my Vita projections are going to have to be revised downward. A platform selling that badly will be quietly phased out in short order. I think 2013 was Vita's last year on the American market. Shipments will be small if nonexistent until Sony announces its discontinuation on store shelves. To get to 20 million units I was hedging on America selling six to seven million units. Now I expect it to be discontinued.

So 13-14 million units WW year 5. That's if the discontinuation does not have an effect on sales in other regions. It could go lower.

I don't think Sony's going to be making handhelds much longer. That's kind of sad. I loved both PSP and Vita in theory. They just never really lived up to their potential of "Home console games on the go."

I don't even know how PSP got to 70m with how poorly it sold over its lifespan. With PS2 selling millions in a quarter having < 250K of that from U.S.+Japan, I figure if any company can figure out somewhere to shove an extra 15m copies of a system, it's gotta be Sony.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Biggest surprise to me is the amount of software sold on XBO. I would have thought it would be significantly lower due to the added cost of the console. Pretty great success there.

Using above posted angles and assuming Green is 360 and Purple XB1, and using those known values as the base value for extrapolation

Code:
	Using 643	Using 908
Blue	306		318
Red	871		905
360	643		668
XB1	874		908
L Blue	154		160
Orange	491		510

Are people just writing random numbers onto the segments... :/

Anth0ny

Wow.

There is no way that Iwata can deny that the WiiU strategy is a failure at this point.

Well, there is a way, but involves fantastic leaps of illogic, rainbows, and animal sacrifice. We'll see in two weeks.

"December 2013 was the strongest month of the Wii U's life, with hardware sales of over 800k units worldwide during that period. While sales may fall short of our initial predictions for this fiscal year, Wii U's strong momentum will continue into the new year with compelling software such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros for Wii U. We are revising our forecast down from 9 million units sold to a more reasonable 7.89 million. There will be no changes to our current strategy. Please understand."

Those Wii U numbers were achieved with significant investment in advertising and promotion. Ouch.
Is this some kind of new sarcasm? I could barely tell that the Wii U was still for sale this holiday.

You can't find PS4s anywhere but I still see the "Perfect Day" commercial 3 or 4 times per hour. Nintendo probably doesn't even want to toss money at the Wii U right now since it will only make their operating profits look even worse.

Lumyst

"December 2013 was the strongest month of the Wii U's life, with hardware sales of over 800k units worldwide during that period. While sales may fall short of our initial predictions for this fiscal year, Wii U's strong momentum will continue into the new year with compelling software such as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, and Smash Bros for Wii U. We are revising our forecast down from 9 million units sold to a more reasonable 7.89 million. There will be no changes to our current strategy. Please understand."

Don't forget his prepared slide with the logos of 5 third party games when asked the question about third party support.

I see illogic and rainbows, but I don't see the animal sacrifice. Where's the chicken blood?

Wait...ok, now I need the PS4 number after that pie...because if it is only like a 5 to 20k difference between PS4 and XB1 despite supply vs no supply than big lol at the big NPD win.

donny2112

WiiU is in a similar way in Europe. It's not exactly doing well anywhere, but it's doing exceptionally bad in Europe. Bad enough to question how long it will have a shelf life there.

Two platforms performing this badly, while the prior market leader in the handheld market is seeing a drastic contraction of that market makes me queasy. Market crash is real people! And it's coming from the casuals! Batten down the hatches!

Casuals are a fleeing! They who make up 80% of a console sales are being zapped away! Some mysterious enigmatic force!

I just peed...

Bad Monkey! Go in the corner and get some hay to cover it up.

Salex_

wow... but wait I thought that no one wanted those xbox ones just sitting in stores? I saw al the photos.

Is that all you gathered from the results? Here's what I learned:

1. Xbox One has plenty of supply in the US which makes me wonder why they delayed the launch from 18>13 countries and many other countries still has TBA release dates.
2. PS4 demand is higher than the supply and it's still in the lead in LTD sales in the US. It's currently available in about 50 countries.

And here's the stock situation in the US:

http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/ps4/
http://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/consoles/xboxone/

Do we have the PS4 numbers yet?
EDIT: PS4 and Xbox One numbers were very close this month even though the PS4 is sold out pretty much everywhere?

Top Bottom