• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

Alienous

Not really. The thing can be utter shit and I'll be there day 1. Everyone has that one franchise that they'll get no matter what just to see the next entry. You may want to invoke the "vote with your dollar" policy when it comes to things like this but for me if it says Metal Gear I'll buy it without question.

Then prepare your udders, money cow. The milking is coming.

iLLmAtlc

I know it's hardly the same thing, and sorry if it's already been mentioned, but the speedrun record for MGS4 is well under two hours, and less than 90 minutes for MGS3. Gameplay sections of MG games have never been particularly beefy when you look at it. Just sayin'.

I know that you know this but I'll say it anyway, it makes 0 sense to compare speedruns to reported gameplay times from media. Both MGS3 and MGS4 were 10 hour games, easily, when including cut scenes. Yes, they were capable of being beat under 2 hours (minus cut scenes) just like how MGS:GZ is properly capable of being beat in 5 minutes (it was already posted ITT that Konami play testers did this but I'm not sure if it's serious or a joke).

Vodh

If it was 4 hours I might have considered it. After all, I bought MGR for the full price and I was absolutely in love with the game, one of the best games of last year and certainly worth the price for the 4 hours (and small change) it offered.

But 2 hours? Gotta draw a line somewhere, might as well be right there.

Frodo

Not really. The thing can be utter shit and I'll be there day 1. Everyone has that one franchise that they'll get no matter what just to see the next entry. You may want to invoke the "vote with your dollar" policy when it comes to things like this but for me if it says Metal Gear I'll buy it without question.

You know, if you want to play the game because of the franchise but not support practices like publishers charging you $40 quid for a 2 hours demo game you could still... I don't know, maybe buy used, rent, play at a friend's who has less respect for their money than you. Just saying.

Supporting bad practices just because of the brand associated with it is just silly and will utterly damage the brand you like so much.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This hurts worse than anything else in this thread. MGS2 will go down as the only game let kojima run wild.

Proportionate to the budget, hype, and sales, MGS2 is the most ambitious personal game ever made.

Keep in mind though that he also used plenty of ideas from his team. Stuff like peeking around corners was not Kojima's idea.

Jarmel

Banned
That fiasco, as I understand it, was a team trying a new game concept with Kojima looking over their shoulders.

Have you ever tried to do something creative with your parents watching? It's fucking difficult. I imagine it was much like that for Koji Pro while attempting to make Metal Gear Rising.

I'm sure they could have made a character action game if that was their intention. I'm sure they could make a stealth game is given the opportunity to do so. I don't believe that they are incompetent without Kojima.

Gosh, that must be the worst developer environment.

The game getting off the ground wasn't due to Kojima stifling development but rather the development team having no clear leadership or idea where to go. "How do we implement the slicing techniques?", "When should the story take place", and "What type of game should it be, stealth or action?" are basic questions that the development team never really figured out. They just floundered about for years.

Kimura fucked up.

Warewolf

Damn! I felt just dandy that I could get my money's worth out of four hours of open world Metal Gear but a <2 hour mission?

Even I'm a little concerned by that.

Still looking forward to it, I can't imagine any amount of Big Boss in a Jeep could be inadequate.

iLLmAtlc

The fuck is this bullshit? I am one night rental-ing the fuck out of this game.

C'mon now it's always easy to compare prices in isolation and feel upset. How upset are people outside NA that games are $60 vs whatever it is in their own countries? I'm sure there are many factors at play here that we have no idea about.

OneUh8

You know, if you want to play the game because of the franchise but not support practices like publishers charging you $40 quid for a 2 hours demo game you could still, I don't know... buy used, rent, play at a friend's who has less respect for their money than you. Just saying.

Supporting bad practices just because of the brand associated with it is just silly and will utterly damage the brand you like so much.

Was just about to post the same type of thing.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
ifxPY0pjNWPFh.gif

cm-punk-shock-o.gif

The game costs between 20 to 30 quid here. 2 hours for £20 is daylight robbery whichever way you slice it. Konami better watch out - they're in danger of hurting the brand with a borderline scam such as this.

RPGCrazied

What? Less than 2 hours now? Unless there is some amazing CE or steelbook case, I think I'm going to wait until it drops $10 - $15 dollars.

What I found most interesting is his talk about GTA and Konami. Remember that GTA tweet about how amazing an open world it was and how he was jealous. Well he says he is jealous of Rockstar that they are able to pump all their resources into making the game they desire. He says he can't do that, he still needs to work with Konami and partner on different projects and make sure things are balanced for Konami as a whole.

Just quit Kojima, I love MGS as much as you but am ok with seeing it milked to death as long as it means you get to create what you want to create. The best is yet to come.

RE_Player

You know, if you want to play the game because of the franchise but not support practices like publishers charging you $40 quid for a 2 hours demo game you could still, I don't know... buy used, rent, play at a friend's who has less respect for their money than you. Just saying.

I never rent anything or borrow, I like owning all my content. In terms of supporting bad practices for the brand I like I don't really care if the brand goes down a bad path. Good or bad however it plays out is interesting to me. Do not confuse my attitude with blind fanboy attitude. I am just as interested in bad entries in a series than with good ones.

In the end I want to experience what the content is day one with no other opinions in my head and judge it for what it is. Good or bad I am looking forward to my personal critique of the game.

C'mon now it's always easy to compare prices in isolation and feel upset. How upset are people outside NA that games are $60 vs whatever it is in their own countries? I'm sure there are many factors at play here that we have no idea about.

I don't know what factors are at play here, but I'm not paying extra for current gen or because I'm in the US. I will rent the game for $3 and see everything it has to offer in a day. Or I'll just wait for the full game to come out and buy GZ used for $10.

AHA-Lambda

no its ridiculous, you just said if it was shit you'd be there day one. no its ridiculous

No, thanks.

I love Metal Gear, but I will not be so blatantly ripped off for a video game.

Any bets on what the game will retail for around the time of the release of Phantom Pain? $10-$15?

Better yet, when Phantom Pain comes out, I bet we see a "Complete MGS5 bundle" with Ground Zeroes included for $70 or $80.

Or eeeeeeeeven another option is that some retailers might include Ground Zeroes at a discounted rate with a purchase of Phantom Pain.

trustter

Konami / Kojima it would be a smart move if you pre-ordered MGSV ($20 up front) you would get Ground Zeros as an appetizer.

AHA-Lambda

I never rent anything or borrow, I like owning all my content. In terms of supporting bad practices for the brand I like I don't really care if the brand goes down a bad path. Good or bad however it plays out is interesting to me. Do not confuse my attitude with blind fanboy attitude. I am just as interested in bad entries in a series than with good ones.

In the end I want to experience what the content is day one with no other opinions in my head and judge it for what it is. Good or bad I am looking forward to my personal critique of the game.

no that's blind fanboyism and sheer foolishness.

Serick

Married Member
"Internal testers can speed run the main story-line mission in five minutes."

Pre-order ca... screw it, I didn't pre-order it to begin with.

haha 0_o thats a short game

they should have at least given us Snake vs Monkey...big boss vs monkey or snakeboarding or mini games or VR missions

im there day one but meh i can see this get a price drop asap

Betty

Banned
Yeah, unless this has insane replayability or something I'm not going anywhere near this at $30-40. Fucking ridiculous.

That's the thing really, unless you feel you'll replay this a great amount, which is a dead cert for me personally, it's totally understandable why most would choose to rent or borrow it rather than buy.

RE_Player

no its ridiculous, you just said if it was shit you'd be there day one. no its ridiculous
Experiencing something that is bad is just as valuable as experiencing something that is good. If you just arbitrarily limit yourself to the excellent pieces in any medium you are limiting your ability to have a wide and informed opinion.

MaXsPoT

Can't make a new thread, can someone make one for me?

Apparently, The Phantom Pain is only coming to the PS4, XB1 ?!

Here is the information page about GZ and it says it's coming to PS3, X360, XB1 and P4

and more info in the article

However, in the TPP part it says coming only to PS4, Xbox One

More info, also only says it's coming to the new generation

Looking back, TPP was never shown running on PS3 or X360. Either on a PC or the new generation!

Edit: deleted the scan links, but you can see the magazine.

Top Bottom