• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer played through MGS Ground Zeroes' main mission in [1.5hrs, not rushing]

RE_Player

While I do respect your opinion, you are not making a whole lot of sense here. What is the point of reviews then? They TYPICALLY are to inform the audience whether or not they should spend their time and money to see or use the product. Do you go see EVERY movie that comes out in the theater? Of course not because that would cost too much. Same thing here. No one is saying they will never play it, but paying full price for this is stupid and is perpetrating exactly what is wrong with the industry. All these big companies only see things in terms of $$$. They will continue to make whatever makes them money. Sorry for the rant. :)
Reviews serve different purposes for different people. Yes the typical use is the one you outlined. For myself however I buy things that I am interested in experiencing and read reviews/general forum chatter afterwards to see another perspective on it. Nothing wrong with having the "vote with your wallet" mentality but for myself I'm just a sucker for playing anything and everything I have an interest in.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah, but... Did anyone really believe it would've been cross gen? I figured most people put it up there with FF15. Current gen only and won't come out for at least two years (so the install base grows (?)).
Absolutely but the messaging has been so poor on their behalf that it was hard to be sure.

Saya Brea

Banned
2 hours at $40 is way too much for me to justify on this. I'll probably pick it up when it hits about $10. I'm not paying anywhere close to $40 for the MGS equivilent of Dissidia Prologus. (with better graphics of course)

Spaghetti

uh, if true, the phantom pain being next gen only is actually new news considering it was always meant to be a cross-gen title

wow, that's the last gut punch i needed to get me to cancel my ground zeroes preorder. might as well save myself the effort of playing a stunted prologue to a game i'm excited for, because i sure as fuck cannot afford any of the new consoles

bring it to pc in a timely fashion and i'll bite full price, but no fucking way am i blowing what little cash i have on a games console.

Sakura

I thought everyone knew Ground Zeroes was like the Tanker part of MGS2 or the Virtuous Mission in MGS3. Why wouldn't it be like 2~ hours?

Palocca

Man... I really can't justify paying full price for this anymore. I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, but a 2 hour main campaign for $40 cuts too deep.

Ugh, guess I'll just wait for it to go on discount..

Not even a full four hours. Are the buildings in the background even explorable? I honestly think Kojima is releasing this as a prologue purely to test the insanity of MGS fans. If we buy into it he'll probably lose hope that we aren't just mindless.

Alienous

While I do respect your opinion, you are not making a whole lot of sense here. What is the point of reviews then? They TYPICALLY are to inform the audience whether or not they should spend their time and money to see or use the product. Do you go see EVERY movie that comes out in the theater? Of course not because that would cost too much. Same thing here. No one is saying they will never play it, but paying full price for this is stupid and is perpetrating exactly what is wrong with the industry. All these big companies only see things in terms of $$$. They will continue to make whatever makes them money. Sorry for the rant. :)

In defence of RE he has the only purchasing rationale I can accept for an informed fan getting this at full price (Getting it in terms of satisfying a collection).

That said I'd still withdraw from purchasing it at $40, for the long term viability of MGS. And the more fans that think and act like that the healthier the future of the franchise will be.

It starts here. Next, who knows? Maybe the MGSV epilogue will be $40? Maybe the game after that will be an episodic, 5 part, $200 game? It can only get shittier for fans, and ultimately Konami, if this succeeds.

Mr. RHC

ifxPY0pjNWPFh.gif

Perfect! hahaha

I thought everyone knew Ground Zeroes was like the Tanker part of MGS2 or the Virtuous Mission in MGS3. Why wouldn't it be like 2~ hours?

Because of the $40 price point. The MGS 2 demo came with Zone of the Enders. So you were getting a full game + MGS 2 demo. People were just expecting more.

Experiencing something that is bad is just as valuable as experiencing something that is good.

If you just arbitrarily limit yourself to the excellent pieces in any medium you are limiting your ability to have a wide and informed opinion.

How can a person "arbitrarily" limit themselves based on the quality of the work? That is by definition NOT arbitrary.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Did GI specify what difficulty they played on? It couldare a massive difference to the length.

Sakura

We did know that. That's why the price point never made sense.
I always saw it as something the hardcore MGS fans would be willing to pay a premium for. I'm honestly surprised people thought there would be more content. There are 4~5 hour 60 dollar games released all the time, 2~ hour 40 dollar glorified demo doesn't really seem that weird in today's market.

RangerBAD

I always saw it as something the hardcore MGS fans would be willing to pay a premium for. I'm honestly surprised people thought there would be more content. There are 4~5 hour 60 dollar games released all the time, 2~ hour 40 dollar glorified demo doesn't really seem that weird in today's market.

Doesn't mean we have to accept it.

TheBear

Well shit, guess I'm waiting for Phantom Pain.
What are the chances they will fuck everyone over and not put GZ in Phantom Pain?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
$20 for digital download 2 hours game is okay i guess, considering Gone Home got the same price. Also, downloadble content between TPP and GZ, if it's free, then it's cool...

Oh man, still a bit conflicted though.

Unless we know for sure that Kojima is not trolling us hard that they trick GI into thinking it's only a 2 hours game, i don't know how to respond, other than wait until the game came out.

RE_Player

How can a person "arbitrarily" limit themselves based on the quality of the work? That is by definition NOT arbitrary.
Ugh yup I messed up. I hate when I mix up words. I meant limiting one's self to a restrictive mandate one makes like "I will only play games with a Metacritic of 90+" or something like that.

Most of those short games focus on or contain multiplayer components at least. They have been nothing but vague with the length and content of Ground Zeros the entire time, and with such a price tag slapped on, folks expected more.

doofy102

This needs to get universally bashed by the media and fans. I hate to see Kojima's reputation to go down in disgrace, but really, this is unacceptable.

Zemm

Haha I knew from reading the title that Batzi would have had a meltdown in here, worst fanboy ever.

Awful from Konami this, they've completely destroyed every last bit of excitement I've had for MGS5 and I think that'll stay with Phantom Pain, no way I'm supporting shit like this.

Sakura

Doesn't mean we have to accept it.
Of course not. Just surprised at the reactions is all. I remember reading during the reveal people explaining how Ground Zeroes was likely just going to be like the Tanker part, and Phantom Pain would be the main game. It just screamed Konami trying to get some cash for MGSV now, because the game proper won't be out for a long time. Just wait for the full game, and other people can pay for the overpriced demo...
Well shit, guess I'm waiting for Phantom Pain.
What are the chances they will fuck everyone over and not put GZ in Phantom Pain?
If they didn't include it, then I'm sure by the time Phantom Pain comes out, you could snag GZ for cheap.

Most of those short games focus on or contain multiplayer components at least. They have been nothing but vague with the length and content of Ground Zeros the entire time, and with such a price tag slapped on, folks expected more.
Metal Gear Rising was 60 bucks at launch and I finished it in 4 hours and some odd minutes. I guess you could argue there is more replayability, but still, if we're comparing length of main mission it's not all that different.

RangerBAD

Truth be told, rather than being vague, Kojima was literally showing us everything of importance right in front of our faces. Some people saw it coming and some people didn't.

iLLmAtlc

Of course not. Just surprised at the reactions is all. I remember reading during the reveal people explaining how Ground Zeroes was likely just going to be like the Tanker part, and Phantom Pain would be the main game. It just screamed Konami trying to get some cash for MGSV now, because the game proper won't be out for a long time. Just wait for the full game, and other people can pay for the overpriced demo...

If they didn't include it, then I'm sure by the time Phantom Pain comes out, you could snag GZ for cheap.

Metal Gear Rising was 60 bucks at launch and I finished it in 4 hours and some odd minutes. I guess you could argue there is more replayability, but still, if we're comparing length of main mission it's not all that different.

1 key consideration is MGR does not include cut scenes. you put that together and it's probably about 6-8 which is a lot more reasonable.

so really you're talking about comparing 2 and 6-8 which is kinda different.

but i just wanted to point out that it's not really 40 for 2 hours. it's possible to pay 20 or 30 for it too if you're willing to go digital. I say 30 dollars for what amounts to DLC is pretty nuts though. if you're willing to play on last gen an digital only, it could be had for 20 which is pretty reasonable if you ask me.

For $35 I can spend an entire day at local theme parks and get more than two hours of entertainment. I can spend $12 at the local AMC and watch a movie for 2 hours. Seriously Kojima? Seriously?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
First time I've actually cancelled a pre-order based on game length.

Normally, game length isn't an issue for me, but I have a pretty strict game budget this year, and I was stretching it at $80 for inFAMOUS Second Son CE, and $40 for MGS Ground Zeroes. I wasn't expecting Zeroes to be this 20 hour experience, but I didn't think it'd be a 2 hour game. Not for $40 (I preordered the retail version). I can probably use that $40 on other games in my budget for March, or save it for my April budget.

I'll pick this up when it drops lower in price.

Yeesh, even shorter than expected. As a promo game for the Phantom Pain, they really should be selling it cheaper.

Will pick it up when much cheaper / closer to the PP.

Top Bottom