• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny, how good is it really?

nib95

Banned
My point is, the game in no way, shape, or form, justifies the amount of hype all over the place, it's disproportionate in the extreme and very very gross.

Of course it does. Just because you don't see it, don't claim it's falsified. A majority thought the game looked looked boring or dull prior to the Alpha, after playing it however, the hype went up several fold. The GAF post Alpha stats thread shows this, with 80% of people's opinions being changed for the better. That's not manufacturered hype, that's real hype based on actual hands on play.

Destiny has all the ingredients to be a hype monster. Halo mixed with Borderlands mixed with Mass Effect mixed with Phantasy Star Online. That is a killer combination however you slice it, and an excellent development of the tried and tested first person shooter formula, especially moving on from Halo.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You realize your opinion isn't always right? Like I already posted Destiny is one of the best games I have ever played. Along with a lot of other people. Does that make it true? Hell no.

Deal with it. This is how marketing works and right now a lot more people are interested I this game then anything else right now.

I don't get off on mobas or grand theft shot but I don't sit around and complain whenever used converge or the torrent of hype around GTA

Gotta say I agree with this.

I've actually been eating up all of the new information because I'm excited to play the full game. I probably wouldn't have cared without the Alpha or Beta, but I don't think the marketing is particularly repulsive. It's not as if Bungie want to make your their bitch.

Razgreez

My impression after putting in a fair amount of hours is that what destiny does well it does so in a very polished manner. However,things like voice acting and variety seemed very poor/sparse in the beta. Boss and mini-boss AI was great but average fiend AI was mediocre and hand-guns... well they were all so poor i literally did not meet anyone who used them.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This game inspires almost as many random threads on GAF as Watch Dogs did.

To answer the OP, how good? So good.

I think Destiny and Titanfall shouldn't be compared in terms of hype.

Titanfall was over hyped way before people played it and then fell off the map shortly after people got their hands on it

Destiny had a pretty luke-warm reception (if that) and only started to really get hyped when people started playing it (Alpha and Beta).

The game is pretty good, though whether it has legs remains to be seen (obviously). However, it does seem Bungie and Activision are in for the long haul on this one and it should get regular content upgrades. I am pretty sure it will last a while.

I found it so odd that TF was so hyped up by the press and fell off a cliff after launch while Destiny was the opposite. there were a few media outlets that had problems with what they played at a preview event earlier this year.

it just reenforces the notion that gaming sites are the last place I want to go to for information.

Of course it does. Just because you don't see it, don't claim it's falsified. A majority thought the game looked looked boring or dull prior to the Alpha, after playing it however, the hype went up several fold. The GAF post Alpha stats thread shows this, with 80% of people's opinions being changed for the better. That's not manufacturered hype, that's real hype based on actual hands on play.

Destiny has all the ingredients to be a hype monster. Halo mixed with Borderlands mixed with Mass Effect mixed with Phantasy Star Online. That is a killer combination however you slice it, and an excellent development of the tried and tested first person shooter formula, especially moving on from Halo.

That just reads like you're copywriting, like, all of it. You aren't helping. I expect more of GAF than just mindless circle jerking to this very bland game.

Synth

Titanfall and destiny are hyped. The only difference is, we got to try destiny, alpha and beta. Titanfall dont remember it getting tried before the launch date.

Titanfall had an alpha and a beta too.. and impressions from both were wildly positive also.

Bungie has a much better track record in regards to keeping players interested in their multiplayer aspect.

Have you forgotten how popular Halo was?

Do they really though? If Respawn has any sort of track record at all, it'd be as the guys that made Modern Warfare... and that game basically killed Halo online, to the point where Bungie (and later 343i) started making alterations to Halo to try and get at some of its audience.

No they didn't. Some people maybe. But tons of people were luke warm to cold on TitanFall.

Just like how many people are for Destiny? Or do you have some sort of filter for all the impressions where Destiny is described as boring, repetitive and lacking in narrative?

There's really not that much difference between the initial receptions of either game. If anything the main difference is simply that Destiny is on more consoles, and a lot more of the negative impressions are coming from people that actually played the beta, rather than simply diverted to writing it off as "X game with Y" because it wasn't on their console of choice.

That just reads like you're copywriting, like, all of it. You aren't helping.

Yeah, nib, please stop it with the manufactured hyping of this game called Destiny. You obviously are buying into this artificial excitement and need to realize you don't really enjoy the game.

#wakeupsheeple

DNAbro

Yeah, nib, please stop it with the manufactured hyping of this game called Destiny. You obviously are buying into this artificial excitement and need to realize you don't really enjoy the game.

#wakeupsheeple

I'm actually on Activision payroll to promote this game.

I mean...yo Destiny is cool.

#wakeupsheeple

You straight up had fucking knives out when anyone said anything negative about this game in the other thread a while back, you and a few others, I really don't like these Destiny flash mobs trying to mow over any negative criticism about the game on GAF.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is it 60fps on PS4?

Do they really though? If Respawn has any sort of track record at all, it'd be as the guys that made Modern Warfare... and that game basically killed Halo online, to the point where Bungie (and later 343i) started making alterations to Halo to try and get at some of its audience.

True but that is because IW added something new that we, as gamers, were missing in the online aspect. Eventually there is going to be a developer who adds something new into games that will make people hop over. This has been the case for countless of years and I can see Destiny creating a new online norm.

nib95

Banned
That just reads like you're copywriting, like, all of it. You aren't helping. I expect more of GAF than just mindless circle jerking to this very bland game.

Are you accusing me of being a shill? For who? Bungie? Activision? Do you know how long I've been posting here and how many tens of thousands of posts I've made on all sorts of random subjects, half of them in the off topic segments of the forum? Lol.

Seriously, put the tin foil hat away, and re read my post. Nothing I said was false. For whatever reason your unjustified hatred for this game is making you lose all sense of logic and rationale.

Nipo

You straight up had fucking knives out when anyone said anything negative about this game in the other thread a while back, you and a few others, I really don't like these Destiny flash mobs trying to mow over any negative criticism about the game on GAF.

The problem is both the negative and positive accounts amount to little more than "I didn't like the beta" or "I liked the beta".

You straight up had fucking knives out when anyone said anything negative about this game in the other thread, I really don't like these Destiny flash mobs trying to mow over any negative criticism about the game on GAF.

I can't speak for the poster you are talking about but most of the stuff I have seen has been pretty civil.

Look at most of the posters claiming love for the game almost every one says "it's my opinion"

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Well let's be honest. Most of the criticism (and praise) is extremely premature since, you know, the game isn't out yet.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
TFQ7Ls1.gif

Are you accusing me of being a shill? For who? Bungie? Activision? Do you know how long I've been posting here and how many tens of thousands of posts I've made on all sorts of random subjects, half of them in the off topic segments of the forum? Lol.

Seriously, put the tin foil hat away, and re read my post. Nothing I said was false. For whatever reason your unjustified hatred for this game is making you lose all sense of logic and rationale.

Though there definitely are shills around, the sad part I think is people buying into their bullshit, I just don't like it when people are manipulated into buying the idea of a game, instead of it's boring, bland self.

No that's my point about your drive by post.

Well it's amazing if you only play FPS.

What does that even mean?

It's the best FPS? FPS fans dont enjoy quality? Role paying games do it better?

I have no fucking clue

The point. I just lost it.

What the heck is going on with some people here?

Zakalwe

Banned

Criticism is fine. Telling everyone they're wrong because you're right is tiresome.

Though there definitely are shills around, the sad part I think is people buying into their bullshit, I just don't like it when people are manipulated into buying the idea of a game, instead of it's boring, bland self.

Dude, Seriously get over yourself.

According to you I am buying into the bullshit?

I don't genuinely enjoy the game I spent 50 hours in? On a beta.

You can't understand that some of us played it and fell in love?

nib95

Banned

Stop. Just stop. And at least expand on your critisims if you're going to insist. Re using the words bland and boring over and over monotonously doesn't really expand on your viewpoints on why you think the game is any of these things.

And it's not manipulated at all. You realise there has been an Alpha and a public BETA? Do you know what that entails? That means most people interested, and even many of those not interested, have actually already played an unfinished bite size portion of the game, and as such, are able to form honest opinions based on actual play time, not manufacturerd hype.

DNAbro

You realize people have played it right? I like the game because it's really really fun to play. I don't see it as boring and bland. I see it as fresh and fun. The game isn't for everyone but don't bring opinion and try to put it as fact.

Nipo

What are you using for the definition of "shill"? A shill is someone with a with a close relationship with the seller without disclosing it. Do you really think that is a common thing on Neogaf to the point there are hundreds of them?

Are you using the word just to mean anyone who is enthusiastic about the game after beta?

I think we're running into a definitional problem here since the way you're using the word doesn't make sense.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
It's Amazing, if you go Titan

Superb, if you want to go as a Hunter

OMFGWTFBBQAWESOMESAUCE, if you roll Warlock

I mean look at this majestic class:
NOVA BOMB! (KA-POW!)
3hP2Fbk.gif

Same move, different talent chosen for it:
lSmAhFs.gifp

SPACE MAGIC!:
c3Vqejul.jpg

ZanDatsu

So because you find it boring everyone must also? That's not how this works.

Synth

True but that is because IW added something new that we, as gamers, were missing in the online aspect. Eventually there is going to be a developer who adds something new into games that will make people hop over. This has been the case for countless of years and I can see Destiny creating a new online norm.

Yea, that's cool. I just thought that using Bungie having made Halo previously to as a weapon against the original makers of fucking Call of Duty is more than slightly misguided. With that said, I also believe that Respawn did offer something new with Titanfall, which is one of the reasons that the beta sold me on buying it, whilst I've never liked a single CoD game online. It's easy to say that aspect of it are inherited from things like Tribes, or Mechassault, or even various mobas... but then Destiny would be equally comparable to past games like Borderlands. People just tend to be very selective about what they give credit to.

ZServ

Just like how many people are for Destiny? Or do you have some sort of filter for all the impressions where Destiny is described as boring, repetitive and lacking in narrative?

There's really not that much difference between the initial receptions of either game. If anything the main difference is simply that Destiny is on more consoles, and a lot more of the negative impressions are coming from people that actually played the beta, rather than simply diverted to writing it off as "X game with Y" because it wasn't on their console of choice.

Ehh. TF was too similar to cod. That's what kills the legs nowadays, IMO. Everything needs to be similar to that franchise. There are big mechanical changes to how Destiny works that makes it feel more like Halo than anything else, and I haven't liked a Halo MP since 3. The whole one character for everything will probably help too. Granted, I think there are people who do definitely shrug off the criticism under the guise of "haters gonna hate" but Destiny has tools at its disposal that TF just didn't. Open world. Single player. A myriad of endless weapons and customization. It can appeal to the mp guys, sp guys, and those who like co op as well.

I think if anything kills Destiny it will be a lack of content. Which seems to be a very real possibility right now.

Edit: and seriously guys, it's nothing like Borderlands. Where does everyone come up with this? It's more like PSO than anything else. 500 hours in just Borderlands 2 tells me Destiny ain't even similar in terms of play style, loot generation, gearing, etc.

FranXico

Don't judge it based on videos or screenshots alone. The graphics are nothing mind blowing, but still pleasant to the eye.

Although it has nothing new, it does build well upon existing concepts and blends them pretty well together. It has a well thought out upgrade system, plays well and has a good "one more go" feeling. The PVP was kind of limited (it was TF2 style teamplay), and that probably was what let people down a bit, but it was still fun.

Also, please do not compare the Destiny hype to that of Titanfall. Completely different situations.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

I don't think you know what that word means

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.

No that's my point about your drive by post.

"Well it's amazing if you only play FPS"

What does that even mean?

It's the best FPS? FPS fans dont enjoy quality? Role paying games do it better?

I have no fucking clue

As it is a good FPS, and probably refreshing to some degree if that's all you play. Probably still fun if you play other stuff as well. I don't know where you got that I said FPS fans don't enjoy quality or anything. It's just a beta it could get extremely boring or get better, I don't know. You seem to be reading into that post a bit too much.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
You need to be a very special kind of moronic to not notice it. Watching this shit get forcefully spread across the various web outlets just prior to release is going to make me vomit.

I get a feeling this is going to be the worst case of astro turfing in gaming history.

mku6Owj

My point is, the game in no way, shape, or form, justifies the amount of hype all over the place, it's disproportionate in the extreme and very very gross.

Hey, you, get the fuck out of here. You're being pathetic. Some people are genuinely excited for Destiny, and I've seen nobody forcing Destiny upon anybody or negating criticism apart from a few posts. Stop this pathetic 'y'all shills'.

All fun and games until the Destiny Defense Force shows up on Gaf. Deja Vu, all the same people who flooded me last time around, this is proof that if you say something genuinely negative of the game, you just get mowed down by these guys.

Top Bottom