• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny, how good is it really?

Eoin

Titanfall was hyped by the press destiny is hyped by actual human players. Who do you trust?

I enjoyed titanfall
Titanfall was also hyped by actual humans as well, lol. The beta was super fun. It was just too bare bones to keep people engaged long term.

Synth

Wow... thanks for making this much effort to respond. It's definitely the longest "very brief" response I've ever received, but I appreciate it. PSO is actually one of my favourite games of all time (easily top 5), and I've been playing through the original, to EP1&2 on GC (and Xbox), PSOBB, PSU, PSPo, Zero, PSO2 etc. So, I may be looking at comparisons a little more critically than they really warrant. But anyway...

The post itself is slightly difficult to follow, as you did jump about a bit, but I kinda get (and somewhat agee with) what you're saying. As an old jaded Quake player, I definitely agree with your view of ADS and low TTKs, and my heart fucking sinks every time a game I think looks cool is revealed to have them. In this respect, I can agree that CoD and Titanfall are similar in a way that CoD and Halo definitely are not. However as you mentioned, the additional movement options and increased verticality help to alleviate some of the problems commonly associated with CoD and the arenas it takes place in. When the comparison is broad enough that you're able to bring Killzone and BF under the same umbrella, then I think we may be casting the net of similarity a little wide. In all fairness, I would probably cite Killzone as actually playing more similarly to CoD than Titanfall does, with skills for one being more transferable to the other.

For the Destiny/Borderlands/PSO stuff. I'm not trying to claim that Destiny and PSO have nothing in common at all, especially as Borderlands itself was often described as being an FPS take on Phantasy Star Online when it first released. My main contention is the idea that Destiny and Borderlands be considered nothing like each other, and that it shares a lot more with PSO. After reading your post, I can somewhat see how this idea is formulated. I guess I'd say that if Destiny is similar to Borderlands in terms of gameplay mechanics, it would be considered similar to PSO in terms of structure.

Both Destiny and Borderlands share the most basic gameplay mechanic of being first person shooters. They both sit somewhere between CoD and Halo in terms of shooting mechanics. In both cases you're not as reliant on ADS when fighting enemies in close quarters, but will generally want to use it for anything at even a moderate distance. Both despite having different character classes, have none who's primary function is something other than shooting, whereas PSO had classes where melee, shooting and magic were the primary methods of combat for each class respectively. I'd even go as far as to claim that Borderlands is closer to PSO in this regard as each of the characters has a more defined role, and supports the team in ways that the other characters cannot adequately approximate. Both Destiny and Borderlands attach their characters 'super' trait to a cooldown timer that reactivates after a set time... and so on... In my opinion, from a gameplay standpoint there's not much differentiating the two other than Destiny having slightly better shooting controls, and more intelligent enemies (which is something that I definitely would not say about PSO's enemies).

The similarities to PSO are mostly down the mission structure. Whereas in Borderlands, the player mostly makes continuous progression, with new quests primarily taking place in new areas, both Destiny and PSO tend to fill more time by reusing content and adding additional difficulties of the same mission for higher levels to attempt. The field encounters and special missions are almost exactly like they are in PSO2 also. You also have the different races that superficially at least resemble the three main PSO races. I agree less about the weapons. Afterall PSO is a series where one of the more sought after weapons was a frying pan, another is a chainsawd, and another is a 'real hangun' (an actual gloved fingergun)... and finally...

PSO2BigFish.jpg

In terms of narrative and story progression, I'd say that I find Borderlands to have more in common with PSO than Destiny does. In both PSO and Borderlands, right from the start you are introduced to various characters that are important to the world. In both game side quests are used to flesh out, and tell the stories of the characters, and often the sidequests pertain to them directly (with them actually giving you the task). I played through what appeared to be all the content in the Destiny beta, yet couldn't name a single character in that world. In both Borderlands and PSO the bosses had personality, often being introduced to the story prior to your encounter with it, and its effect on the world, and why it must be dealt with made clear. I'm going to be honest and admit that I may simply just not remember Destiny doing this, but it seemed to be more of a case of "there's a wizard, and he's being a cunt.. get him!", and side quests just seemed to come from a faceless, nameless entity over the radio issuing military style orders along the lines of "we need this scanned/protected/killed".

Obviously my impressions of Destiny's story are somewhat lacking due to it only being a beta, and perhaps the full game with have a story to make Mass Effect blush. But in comparison both PSO and Borderlands gave the player a far more immediate introduction to the world and those that inhabit it, and it was a lot easier for these games to hold my interest as a result.

kitzkozan

Titanfall was the very definition of manifactured hype, since the gaming press was going completely over the top for it for whatever "reason". It eventually led to interest or it became a big curiosity since it was supposed to move the shooter genre forward.

We barely knew anything about Destiny and all of a sudden it resonated with a lot of enthusiastic gamers after the alpha. Of course, it will lead to curiosity toward the title and a lot of people tried out the beta. The funny thing is that people get caught all the time when a game or a book or even a movie gather a lot of positive word of mouth. No game, book or movie is for everybody and plenty of people will dislike everything that's out there for numerous reasons.

If you don't enjoy mmo or Diablo / PSO-esque like features and the design decision made around these type of games, I don't see why you would waste your time with Destiny. It's got a story focused campaign, but it's not the type of game where it's very relevant given that there will be raids and hard mode dungeons + plenty of repetitive tasks. Since this game is part of a genre which is a massive timesink, the success often reside on if the core mechanics can hold up well enough to ease the repetitiveness (quality of the loot in the endgame, it's effect on the gameplay and if the core mechanics are fun enough to support hundred of hours of playtime). While having a nice campaign can expand the userbase, the most important aspect of this type of game is that people keep playing since it's a social game where you need a constant healthy userbasse to run group content or organized PvP.

I really like it and could sink in my teeth in it for a big while. But I have a huge feeling that it's gonna be the Ass Creed 1 of the series where future entries will have much more content and be way more fleshed out. Cross gen limitations are also a thing to consider. It'll be a great time waster that's for sure. But I guess you need to be a loot whore like myself.

Sirim

I feel as though the questions stated in the OP were worded poorly, unless you expect this to be the thread where everyone who liked the game comes out and admits it's not really as good as they have been saying on every other thread.

Perhaps, "It's hard for me to see the appeal through videos, what about it gameplay wise makes Destiny so fun to people?". That's just off the top of my head, but hopefully you see what I'm getting at.

Anyway, like others have stated, videos are incapable of doing it justice. Destiny is a game that relies on "being in the moment", and feeling like your Guardian is actually there. The feedback and satisfaction of every kill, even the quick-picking ones you see in the videos that look seemingly underwhelming because of how quick it is, is immensely satisfying.

For evidence of this, look no further than GAF pre-alpha/beta, then GAF post-alpha/beta. Or, in other words, GAF watching Destiny, then GAF playing Destiny. High skepticism quickly transformed into adoration.

Etnos

Banned
Now, we never even talk about Titanfall anymoe except to crack jokes about it.

Are you looking for a game or be part of a popularity contest? Titanfall is not as popular, but there is plenty of people playing it on Xbone and decent population on PC. Providing you like the game there is no reason whatsoever you could not play it today. Regardless of how popular Destiny turns out in the long run, i'll be its gonna be the same.

Who the hell cares if people is talking about it?

David___

Banned
Titanfall was also hyped by actual humans as well, lol. The beta was super fun. It was just too bare bones to keep people engaged long term.

TF was being hyped as the second coming as soon as it was revealed. Destiny took well over a year to actually get any hype behind it.

Deadstar

I wasn't impressed with the game. The shooting wasn't satisfying nor were the weapons. I didn't like shooting a giant robot bug for 15 minutes chipping of damage every few seconds. I thought the enemies and location wasn't interesting or varied. I loved Halo but this is not even close. Multiplayer was not in the least bit fun. The control point mode just wasn't interesting, though this is most likely down to the fact that I don't like the gun play. I also felt that each character class was too similar the powers weren't that interesting.

I did like the speeder bike from star wars though.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think my biggest issue with Destiny is something that I never thought Bungie could get so wrong.

The gunplay. It's just so....weak. It was one of things they got so incredibly right in Halo, so I'm amazed at how poor it feels in Destiny. Unless 343 kept the guys behind the core mechanics because that's one thing Halo 4 absolutely nailed.

I mean, no matter what else external Destiny does good or bad, for me, it's all undone by the terrible gunplay.

I think my biggest issue with Destiny is something that I never thought Bungie could get so wrong.

The gunplay. It's just so....weak. It was one of things they got so incredibly right in Halo, so I'm amazed at how poor it feels in Destiny. Unless 343 kept the guys behind the core mechanics because that's one thing Halo 4 absolutely nailed.

I mean, no matter what else external Destiny does good or bad, for me, it's all undone by the terrible gunplay.

Hm, to me the scout/pulse/snipers/shotguns feel very similar to Halo but the automatics are way better in Destiny. They all feel great to me.

Pimpwerx

TF was being hyped as the second coming as soon as it was revealed. Destiny took well over a year to actually get any hype behind it.
Destiny hype didn't become s train until the alpha IMO. I had mp Xbox, so I was barely watching this game. Then e3 came and I tried the alpha on a whim. Sucked me in. This isn't like TF, which was largely driven by the media. I feel hype actually fell off a bit for that game after the alpha and beta. PEACE.

gatti-man

Destiny hype didn't become s train until the alpha IMO. I had mp Xbox, so I was barely watching this game. Then e3 came and I tried the alpha on a whim. Sucked me in. This isn't like TF, which was largely driven by the media. I feel hype actually fell off a bit for that game after the alpha and beta. PEACE.
The TF beta was what created the hype and it was deserved. The problem was/is that the TF beta was more or less the entire game minus a few maps and titans. Very little content was held back. And there is very little content to utilize the awesome mechanics of titanfall. The game is sparse.

The same thing would happen to Destiny if earth was all it has but that's not the case. There are far more areas, modes, builds, and challenges in Destiny. That is why the game will last.

I loved the game. I played for hours in explore wandering around doing nothing but enjoying the games great gunplay. The PVP, while it did have some issues, was an absolute blast. The strikes were fun, the graphics were great, the OST is awesome. The story felt weak from what I've seen so far but I havn't seen much of it. Sinking so much time into such a small portion of the full game leaves me with zero doubt that this game will be worth admission.

Eoin

People started hyping TF when they could play it (E32013 for the press, beta for the rest of us), just as they are with Destiny. It's just harder to build hype with concept art and vague trailers. I don't think many people could really figure out what Destiny was, untill the Alpha was out and they could sink their teeth into it.

0racle

Without reading this mammoth thread my opinion is as followed.

I found that I was enjoying destiny because I felt like I *had* too.

I mean everyone else is right? huge hype surrounding this game for the past few years and here it is on my big screen in all its glory.

The game is good and very polished but to me its lacking character. I will still buy it and play it but its not a game im going gaga over and im not counting down the days untill the release.

I feel this game may very well be your typical major blockbuster release that fizzles out within a few months a la TITANFALL

I am going to offer my thoughts on the first post, but bear in mind I have not read responses already made in this thread.

I think the problem with Destiny is that Bungie spent so much time telling people what Destiny is NOT, that people did not understand for a very long time what it IS. 'Destiny is not an MMO.' 'Destiny has the Crucible, not PvP.' etc. etc. At the same time, they did not clarify these confusions for the longest time. WHY is Destiny not an MMO? WHAT makes Destiny any different from Borderlands, which is also open world, co-op focused, loot focused, with special powers as well as guns with crazy abilities? Well how many people does a shared world shooter have and is this not just a word to try and differentiate Destiny from the negative stigma of an MMO as a game that takes heavy time investment? The list goes on.

So much about Destiny was so confusing for so long that despite the advertising, nobody was thinking it was really that special is a game. In all honesty, I think the only thing that held Destiny up for quite some time was Bungie's record. I mean think about it- each of their last two franchises brought something totally new to gaming. Halo set a ton of standards I don't feel I need to justify with explanations, and even Marathon had cool things like the ability to look up and down (as opposed to side to side with automatic vertical bullet tracking with DOOM), and online voice chat (I could be mistaken, but I believe it was the first series to ever have this feature). Bungie's 2013 E3 trailer and their Sony Press Conference earlier in 2013 both gave us trailers without much substance. The gameplay looked rather dull and scripted as well. They did not do very well in 2013 to show us what this game is. Add that in with the huge about of negative rep they got with long time fans over the exclusivity thing with Sony, and they had a relatively small pool of defenders out there. Even when the Press got to see the game behind closed doors, most of them reported rather negatively saying how it did not look very new or refreshing.

And then? Then we got to play the game. The PS4 Alpha. As an Xbox One owner I'm still really peeved about that, but that's irrelevant. People got to play the game over those four days and they reported the game to be very fun. We were also allowed to stream the gameplay which was exciting. It got us a good look into how Destiny actually works- what exactly makes this game unique. But still, it's hard to watch gameplay of a game like this and be excited about it. As much as I know the internet hates it, the show 'Sword Art Online' has a wonderful quote something along the lines of "Nothing is more boring than watching somebody else play an MMO." And it's true. Part of the joy is being your own character and progressing that character yourself. It's about the choices you make just as much as the gameplay itself.

So OK. We had the Alpha. Great. Pretty much everyone that played it said it was the best thing ever. Viewers were kind of split. Then? Then we had the Beta in mid-July. That was, I feel, the turning point for Destiny. Definitely the best move they could have made given all this confusion. People loved the game. Shoot, I loved it myself. I have over 40 hours on my profile page logged into Destiny. 40 hours for a game I didn't pay a dime for. Imagine how much I'll get when I play the full thing!

Playing it for themselves, people began to realize exactly what it was Bungie was going for. Forget the empty promises of 'Destiny has this this and that.' Forget their marketing plots to try and differentiate Destiny from an MMO. This game is, at its core, a First Person Shooter RPG with MMO elements. What differentiates it from an MMO? Well, the limited number of players in each world (16 max, with only 12 max in 'PvP'/ Crucible), lack of social communication possible (you can only talk to fireteam members even in the Crucible [something they had better change in the Crucible by release though, I'll tell you that!], and the little things it changes from what we traditionally think of when we think MMO. These include Bungie's focus on horizontal progression as opposed to vertical progression (i.e. leveling gear and subclasses as opposed to 'dinging' a high level in itself) and limited active skill sets (a Super, a grenade, and a Melee... that is it, as opposed to cooldown bars for a dozen different abilities to manage),

But I digress. The Beta was really where people began to see these visions Bungie had for their game. And you know what? ... It was a hit. While I understand it is hard to explain exactly what the appeal of a game like this is unless 'it is a fun shooter' is good enough for somebody, Bungie did a poor job of explaining it even by my standards. But after playing it, I can see that all these elements came together in a wonderful way. Destiny has been in development since 2008 which is when we first knew about it (via a Bungie Weekly Update where they claimed they were working on three projects at once, two of which we now know were ODST and Reach), and was in a more substantial form in 2009 (which we know via the Destiny Easter Eggs in Halo 3: ODST). They have managed to get one of the world's biggest publishers behind this project on a scale never seen before, and it is clear Bungie is throwing everything at this game. The people that have played the game for themselves are raving about it. We already have had a clear taste as to what sorts of activities will keep us coming back to the game time and time again as opposed to a game such as Titanfall which some people did criticize for getting old quickly (though undoubtedly a great game, it had little to draw you back).

Destiny is a game I feel any console gamer can look forward to. In an era when it seems like every game developer and their mothers are trying to do some sort of open world game, Destiny seems to have driven through a bank vault and emerged on the other side with bricks of gold by combining elements of so many differing tastes into one game. I would say you have nothing to be scared of in regards to purchasing the game, especially given how Bungie is commonly acknowledged as one of the best developers for post-release support of their titles.

Anyways, I hope I didn't ramble anybody to too much boredom. I just wanted to give my own viewpoint. Cheers.

From my experience in alpha/beta, the game is way overhyped, but I'm still picking it up, hoping that the full release will be better. My main issue with the game was that it was almost completely devoid of any compelling content, much of which could be explained by its demo status.

- Weapons were all generic standard FPS fare. Loot was rare and uninteresting.
- World is huge, but that's meaningless because explore mode was boring; half the world was completely empty and the other half had nothing to do besides lazy fetch quests and the occasional public event that maybe one other person would participate in at the most.
- Once I hit max level, there was nothing to do
- Only ran a few strikes but it seems that they were the exact same all the time? Hopefully there's a lot of them to make up for that.
- No the game is not a MMO

To me there just wasn't anything in the beta that hooked me. Hopefully I'll be eating crow when the full game comes out, because everything could easily come together if the right content is there later on in the game.

Xamdou

Gameplay is good but there's no trading, auction house nor a centralized hub that contains all the people in the entire server.

Soroc

I was sold until I played the beta. The game has that great bungie gunplay. No worries there. But I was taken back but the completed product the lack of social aspects integrated into the game. I cancelled my preorder and added the game to gamefly, so I won't be playing day 1 but if I find the shipped product offers a better social experience to go along with the great gameplay I'll prolly jump back in.

Nizz

I feel like I'm one of the only ones who isn't really feeling this game at all. From all the hype for the game here, to 2 coworkers of mine ready to get the game day one but the beta just didn't click with me.

I played the game on PS4, the graphics were nice and the art as well. But the game feels so sluggish to me. I know it's not supposed to be a twitch shooter but the movement felt so slow to me, the turning speed, that it turned me off.

Now before maybe someone digs through my post history and sees I said something similar about The Last of Us also (the third person camera feeling slow there also) which Joel's movement can feel RE tank-like. But I'm more compelled by that game where that doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Maybe I'll revisit Destiny sometime in the future and it'll click with me then but right now it"s not doing anything for me.

gogojira

Beta made me unbelieve. I doubt intend to get it unless it goes on a good sale later or something. Too many other good games to pay for.

gatti-man

I feel like I'm one of the only ones who isn't really feeling this game at all. From all the hype for the game here, to 2 coworkers of mine ready to get the game day one but the beta just didn't click with me.

I played the game on PS4, the graphics were nice and the art as well. But the game feels so sluggish to me. I know it's not supposed to be a twitch shooter but the movement felt so slow to me, the turning speed, that it turned me off.

Now before maybe someone digs through my post history and sees I said something similar about The Last of Us also (the third person camera feeling slow there also) which Joel's movement can feel RE tank-like. But I'm more compelled by that game where that doesn't seem to bother me as much.

Maybe I'll revisit Destiny sometime in the future and it'll click with me then but right now it"s not doing anything for me.

Did you try playing with controller sensitivity? TLOU is far more sluggish than Destiny. I wouldn't even consider them comparable to be honest.

Nizz

Did you try playing with controller sensitivity? TLOU is far more sluggish than Destiny. I wouldn't even consider them comparable to be honest.
Oh yeah, I took it up to 10. I think the movement of the character himself was more my problem. Let's say if one of the enemies got behind me, me turning around to handle him felt slow.

I mean, I haven't played a Halo game in forever so maybe it's just I don't find the slower type of FPS gameplay appealing anymore.

HGStormy

Banned
The tower parts where you're in third-person view remind me a lot of a traditional MMO like WoW or Guild Wars.
The actual gameplay is solid, feels a lot like Halo + Borderlands. Enemies are a bit too bullet spongy, the bosses in particular. The graphics are nice and the visual design is pretty interesting.
I don't like the framerate. It feels weird to play at 30fps. I guess I'm just really used to 60fps CoD.
Edit: I didn't like the multiplayer. The framerate didn't feel super stable and it just kind of felt sluggish to control.

I probably won't buy it because I feel like there'd be no one playing on XB1, just like every other damn title on the system.

Mooreberg

My realistic expectation is that what can be strictly considered story missions (stuff with ghost voiceover, cutscenes, unlocks new planets, etc) might be about twelve hours of content. Throw in the strikes, beacon missions, and getting back to areas that require level 20, and you could be looking at 20 to 24 hours of entertainment per character. And then if you want to go down the rabbit hole of revisting areas to do public events and find the best armor and weapons... who knows.

It seems like the game has a lot of campaign/co-op content without having all of geometric level repetition of something like Warframe. This is freshing to me in an era where many shooter campaigns are shorter than a Half-Life 2 episode. I do not know if I will really get into the multiplayer, but the volume of content this game appears to have should keep people happy for a while. I spent twelve hours just messing around in Old Russsia and checking out the Hive caverns on the Moon, so I think they are on to something.

Sande

I see myself playing it for a month or two, having a good time, and then moving on. It's nothing special but scratches the coop/pvp fps itch for me this year just fine.

Oh yeah, I took it up to 10. I think the movement of the character himself was more my problem. Let's say if one of the enemies got behind me, me turning around to handle him felt slow.

I mean, I haven't played a Halo game in forever so maybe it's just I don't find the slower type of FPS gameplay appealing anymore.
The normal turn speed is too slow compared ADS. When ADS starts to be too fast to aim properly, it still takes you ages to turn around when hip-firing. That's my beef with it anyway.

The beat was fun. Nothing really innovative, but it's a fun game. Not buying a console to play it at all. It doesn't do anything any other game of this type has, but it definitely feels, looks, and plays better than those games. It'll do well, and I'll pass on it.

Stimpack

It played well, but as others have said, it's nothing special. I had fun with it, and I'll probably pick it up and clear it. Definitely not what I was really hoping for, though, and that's really disappointing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

Weird... for me, the gunplay feels amazing.

How was your lag for the PvP?

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
The beta was fun for me. I sunk 25 hours into it and I don't normally like FPS. Most of that time was in the explore mode too.

jg4xchamp

It's fun enough, but I'm not buying the "ambitious" kool aid. Everything it does is mmo-lite, and the encounter designs are just standard shooting gallery shoot. Hopefully the game is more varied, because otherwise it's going to be repetitive as all hell.

That said no one exactly making PSO4 on a triple A budget, and Destiny has some nice PSO vibes for me.

The Alpha and Beta sold me. I put more hours into the Beta than I did any other game this year. It has an addictive nature that keeps you coming back for more - it's that awesome loot.

I played the game on my PS3. Pretty great performance on the PS3, though kinda ugly. Nice big open areas, huge scale (not really used from the missions I played).

I'm not sure of the end result. It feels like an RPG more than a shooter, but the shooter aspects force you to pay attention and play by the rules. I didn't find the shooting satisfying though - the guns felt weak because the enemies didn't react to them at all, no blood or sparks, just numbers floating around. Everything takes a long time to kill and it all felt really slow to me.

Top Bottom