• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny, how good is it really?

As it is a good FPS, and probably refreshing to some degree if that's all you play. Probably still fun if you play other stuff as well. I don't know where you got that I said FPS fans don't enjoy quality or anything. It's just a beta it could get extremely boring or get better, I don't know. You seem to be reading into that post a bit too much.

Yes I did I am sorry about that one of my worsts posts in awhile.

DNAbro

All fun and games until the Destiny Defense Force shows up on Gaf. Deja Vu, all the same people who flooded me last time around, this is proof that if you say something genuinely negative of the game, you just get mowed down by these guys.

try fucking harder

FranXico

All fun and games until the Destiny Defense Force shows up on Gaf. Deja Vu, all the same people who flooded me last time around, this is proof that if you say something genuinely negative of the game, you just get mowed down by these guys.

image.php

Are you sure you're a medic?

Zakalwe

Banned

Hey dude!

If you'd like to present a well written post about why you don't like Destiny, we'll be happy to ignore it.

If you come in here and tell us all we're wrong because you're right, then expect us to say something.

Maybe you knew that already, though...

Titanfall had an alpha and a beta too.. and impressions from both were wildly positive also.

Do they really though? If Respawn has any sort of track record at all, it'd be as the guys that made Modern Warfare... and that game basically killed Halo online, to the point where Bungie (and later 343i) started making alterations to Halo to try and get at some of its audience.

Just like how many people are for Destiny? Or do you have some sort of filter for all the impressions where Destiny is described as boring, repetitive and lacking in narrative?

There's really not that much difference between the initial receptions of either game. If anything the main difference is simply that Destiny is on more consoles, and a lot more of the negative impressions are coming from people that actually played the beta, rather than simply diverted to writing it off as "X game with Y" because it wasn't on their console of choice.
I don't care about your opinion on Destiny. You and a bunch of other people can not like it, that's fine. The beta didn't make it seem like it was going to be a perfect game. I was just pointing out that TitanFall wasn't some juggernaut that every one loved when they played the beta like that poster implied it was, it also had farther to fall because people were expecting it to be the One's first killer IP. I'd say after the TitanFall beta opinions were even more mixed then people seem to be about Destiny now.
I don't think you know what that word means
I'm sure he does. On internet forums it's been nick named astroturfing. There was definitely a problem with shills on GAF, and even worse on other internet communities. I remember astroturfing being a problem here right before the One and PS4 came out.

You haven't responded to a single post. Its just new post after new post about "boring" gameplay. This is a discussion and people are going to defend their ideas why don't you?

gatti-man

Though there definitely are shills around, the sad part I think is people buying into their bullshit, I just don't like it when people are manipulated into buying the idea of a game, instead of it's boring, bland self.

I thought the game looked boring and bland. I posted that plenty of times. Then I played it and it changed my mind. Destiny changed my mind not neogaf or some manufactured hype. The game is fun. It's very polished in its pve combat. I can see myself playing it for months over.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Do you know what it is, though? If there's a game that I think is bland and I don't care for, well, I just talk about and play other games. I move on. There are some people here who specifically seek out Destiny threads just to shit on the game. Oh, okay, so someone asks about the game and this person goes into the thread and says "I think it sucks". Is that enough? Nope, they must post again and again in threads about games they don't care about. I think it's pretty funny.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes

I was just thinking to myself how super positive gaf has been about Destiny these past few months. I just can't find any negative threads or posts here about Destiny. It's an endless wellspring of love and hugs!

NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT DESTINY ON GAF

DNAbro

Damn shills tricking me into liking a game I don't even like!
How dare they.

sorry my bad, but who can't be tricked by such a beautiful and ever expanding world full of new content, awesome loot, and fantastic pvp?

Did that sound PR/shilly enough?

ZanDatsu

What a boring response. Do better.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
There's some of that $500m left over to grease a few Gaf accounts, surely?

urk only gave me a coffee cup and I had to buy "That Wizard came form the Moon" shirt!

So my shilling at the moment is
Light -30
Intelligence -25
Discipline +5

Fucking Exotic posting...

Zakalwe

Banned
I was just thinking to myself how super positive gaf has been about Destiny these past few months. I just can't find any negative threads or posts here about Destiny. It's an endless wellspring of love and hugs!

Erm, "The Darkness" is pretty lol.

Good shootbang stuff though.

Seems balanced to me.

Looks like something I'll play for 20 hours and then drop.

That seems like a good long time for a game. $3 an hour?

Anyways, it was a great alpha and an even greater beta that instills high hopes and expectations for the retail release. Maybe it doesn't warrant 3+ threads on the front page of GAF at all times of the day, but it's gonna be a good game.

GraveRobberX

I better have my 400 Spinmetals in my Vault when the game goes live sir

Daddy wants to trade them in!

urk, can I get matchmaking for the raids so I can play with other shills?

Synth

Ehh. TF was too similar to cod. That's what kills the legs nowadays, IMO. Everything needs to be similar to that franchise. There are big mechanical changes to how Destiny works that makes it feel more like Halo than anything else, and I haven't liked a Halo MP since 3. The whole one character for everything will probably help too. Granted, I think there are people who do definitely shrug off the criticism under the guise of "haters gonna hate" but Destiny has tools at its disposal that TF just didn't. Open world. Single player. A myriad of endless weapons and customization. It can appeal to the mp guys, sp guys, and those who like co op as well.

I think if anything kills Destiny it will be a lack of content. Which seems to be a very real possibility right now.

Edit: and seriously guys, it's nothing like Borderlands. Where does everyone come up with this? It's more like PSO than anything else. 500 hours in just Borderlands 2 tells me Destiny ain't even similar in terms of play style, loot generation, gearing, etc.

Saying "Titanfall was too similar to CoD" is really no better than people saying "Destiny is too similar to Borderlands". Can you tell me why it's nothing like it, and has more in common with PSO? I've played both (and fucking love PSO) and I'm not seeing it, at all... not in its gameplay, not in its environments, not in its narrative, and certainly not in its characters. The only thing I identify with it being closer to PSO, is having a communal lobby to find other people (and even that falls short of PSO due to the complete lack of communication).

I don't like CoD, but do like Titanfall. I DO like Halo, but don't like Destiny. Neither is a simple substitute for the other in either case.

Fracas

#fuckonami

remember reach

Wheres my shill money Urk.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this is definitely what is going on here. Destiny Defense Force.

Whatever man, you're not even trying. There are plenty of reasonable concerns / complaints / criticisms regarding Destiny, and nobody is attacking them. Some people are excited for Destiny, that doesn't make them shills. Getting called out by people that you are accusing them of being a shill for no reason is not proof that they are shills.

But whatever, it's not like you're even trying anymore.

Yo Urk, I'm still waiting for that money, you know.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't know why i'm sticking up for Destiny here, I'm still considering cancelling my pre-order because they removed that line about the luna wizard. ;_;

Gaf definitely knows how to ruin a good thing.

jacobeid

Banned
Based on my playtime with the alpha and beta, Destiny is a good game, but nothing that I'll be spending a lot of time with. I canceled my pre-order after the beta and decided to see how the game pans out and maybe pick it up later.

GraveRobberX

urk, can I get matchmaking for the raids so I can play with other shills?

Oh Shit, new Crucible mode!

Iron Banner Shilling Emblem

Every kill nets you $5 Bungie Bucks*

*Bungie Bucks can not be used at the Bungie Store...

Nipo

I'm looking forward to, but not overly hyped about destiny. if you'd like to upgrade me to shill status please let me know and we can work out the details.

I played the beta for over 10 hours. I will have no issues with the full game.

Why didn't you play the beta instead of watching it? The best way to see if you like a game is to (gasp) play it.

Scottiths

Banned
I enjoyed the pve. Not a huge amount. The pvp was ass. Just a bunch of getting 1 shot by snipers hanging around the edges. I also hate how important jumping in the game is. Bunny hoping is shit in every game it had been in. I especially hated it in halo.

Top Bottom