• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... I'm sending my PS4 back to Sony

Dominator

Mine was doing this in April. It was spitting discs out and wouldn't even let me put any in, it was like the slot shut. It was trying to eject stuff when I didn't even have anything in it. Every 10 seconds the sound of eject would go, it was horrible. I unplugged it, waiting a while, then plugged it back in and have been fine since. Hopefully that fixed it permanently.

Toemon

Banned
Sony were really good with my 5 PS3 returns. Each time they came to my door, collected the old one and handed over a new one, though I understand they do this differently in the States.

They never even asked for a receipt once, only the date I bought it without proof.

Seems kind of strange because getting broken PS4's online is cheap if not mistaken.

Jolkien

Had a faulty hdmi port on my first fat 80gb ps3. Sent it to Sony, I called them on saturday afternoon, receive the coffin monday morning, had my new ps3 on Wednesday morning. hope it goes as fast for you OP.

Ricky_R

Mine was doing this in April. It was spitting discs out and wouldn't even let me put any in, it was like the slot shut. It was trying to eject stuff when I didn't even have anything in it. Every 10 seconds the sound of eject would go, it was horrible. I unplugged it, waiting a while, then plugged it back in and have been fine since. Hopefully that fixed it permanently.

That's exactly what happened to me. I would say that chances are it will do it again, but I really hope yours is ok.

Btw, thanks for the good wishes dudes.

This happened to me two evenings ago. Did a bit of googling and forum digging and followed instructions to start it in safe mode and then rebuild the database. That did the trick, so because it was a software issue in the end I didn't feel the need to send it into Sony.

Ricky_R

This happened to me two evenings ago. Did a bit of googling and forum digging and followed instructions to start it in safe mode and then rebuild the database. That did the trick, so because it was a software issue in the end I didn't feel the need to send it into Sony.

That was the first "fix" I used and it worked temporary. Just like all other fixes.

Hopefully yours isn't broken. Keep an eye on warranyt exp. just in case.

Pjsprojects

Hope ya get sorted op.

I'm less than happy with Sony. My PS4 went back at launch due to switching off and now this ones doing the same.
My first DS4 had worn thumb stick and R2 packed up so was sent back. Now my second DS4 has failed in the same way and has been sent back.

The trouble is every time there has been a one hour hold for them to answer the phone! Live chat won't help because I'm in the UK and Sony have never replied to any email.

Overall they seem to of built a nice spec console on the cheap. My Xbone has never given any trouble unlike the many 360 models I had.

That was the first "fix" I used and it worked temporary. Just like all other fixes.

Hopefully yours isn't broken. Keep an eye on warranyt exp. just in case.

I guess because a software related solution fixed it, that it's not a hardware issue (as far as I understand these things), so I'm comfortable with things for now. However if it does happen again within the next couple of weeks I will send it in before my year warranty expires.

I imagine I'll have to dredge up the OEM HDD and slot it back in there too since I've got a new 1TB in there currently :\

Ricky_R

I guess because a software related solution fixed it, that it's not a hardware issue (as far as I understand these things), so I'm comfortable with things for now. However if it does happen again within the next couple of weeks I will send it in before my year warranty expires.

I imagine I'll have to dredge up the OEM HDD and slot it back in there too since I've got a new 1TB in there currently :\

Hehe yeah, you would have to do that.

Now that I think about it, when I rebooted in safe mode and rebuilt database, that was the fix that lasted me the longest. I thought I was home free... Then after a couple of months it happened again, so I tried a couple of more fixes, but those didn't last that much.

zeroyazi

Banned
I'm very unhappy with Sony. My PS Vita has started giving me trouble with the right stick. I've emailed them and I was told that I had to call them - I tried to call them and I was put on hold for 35 min, and afterwards my call got disconnected. Result: 10€ spent on a call that didn't solve anything. I sent another email to Sony support and I was told that since my Vita is imported I would need to talk to Sony Japan.

So I'm keeping my Vita until it's finally unplayable and then I'll fix it myself. Fuck them.

I read up on importing a Vita in advance and read that warranties would only be honored in their original countries. Still didn't stop me from getting a lime green precious. Good luck! Hope it lasts you a long time.

Ricky_R

Sony got my system today at around 9 a.m. and I received an email at 1 p.m. that it was already serviced and on the way here. Thought that was gonna take longer tbh.

Chatted with PS support to see what was done to it or if they were sending a new one and they told me it was a re-certified replacement
refurbished
. Would've preferred a new system, but I guess that's too much to ask these days. Anyway, I should be getting the system soon enough. Process has been quite fast

Sent the system Friday afternoon and it's already on the way here. :)

foxbeldin

Bumping this thread because someone on a french forum got an answer on the matter from the support.

Here's the translation.

"On the first models, the rubber feets under the console don't handle heat very well when the system gets really hot. They dilate and the one on the front can touch the eject button which is really sensitive. The tech support replace those rubbers by stronger ones."

Bumping this thread because someone on a french forum got an answer on the matter from the support.

Here's the translation.

"On the first models, the rubber feets under the console don't handle heat very well when the system gets really hot. They dilate and the one on the front can touch the eject button which is really sensitive. The tech support replace those rubbers by stronger ones."

That's quite interesting, surely though people would notice if the feet started melting?

Rootbeer

Banned

Here's the translation.

huh, well that's interesting. well, if it ever happens to me i'll just remove the feet and see if I can replace them with something on my own. unless i have some gaming downtime and can wait for a replacement

Nyx

I still need to do this, same problem.

But with Destiny on my desk now I will wait a few more weeks...

Here's the translation.

Wow, it only took them 10 months to reply to this mass problem.

Peeete

Well, it's not melting, it's just slightly expanding. Just enough to push eject.
But is it actually a mechanical button? Doesn't it rather work like a touch screen? This also doesn't explain why it works again after unplugging, I don't think the rubber would cool down that fast.

Has anyone actually ever tried the screw trick while the console is plugged in? I believe the screw thing does nothing. It only appears to be fixing because the console has been unplugged.

I had this problem several times already and tried all the tricks. It always works again for 1 day to 4 weeks, then it comes back again. Today it started again after about 4 weeks of no problems.

I do believe it has something to do with the little rubber foot directly under the eject button but I don't believe it's an issue of it expanding. I rather think it's a static thing. Maybe it has something to do with the underground the PS4 is standing on?

I'm really not sure if I should send the console back or not. If it's a design flaw it'll just happen again or are new consoles already revised?

Ricky_R

Here's the translation.

Thanks for bumping with that info. Unfortunatelly, I also tried that to no avail.

I'm telling you. I tried every trick ;)

Sony got my system today at around 9 a.m. and I received an email at 1 p.m. that it was already serviced and on the way here. Thought that was gonna take longer tbh.

Chatted with PS support to see what was done to it or if they were sending a new one and they told me it was a re-certified replacement
refurbished
. Would've preferred a new system, but I guess that's too much to ask these days. Anyway, I should be getting the system soon enough. Process has been quite fast

Sent the system Friday afternoon and it's already on the way here. :)

Make sure you have your old one deactivated as your primary system when you get the knew one. I didn't and I lost access to all my downloaded games when the Internet went out a few days ago.

DSmalls84

Sending my system in this week. It started to make a buzzing/vibrating sound when I put a disc in or launch a disc based game. Anyone else had this issue?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how do returns in the UK work for fucked up DS4s? Do you have to send yours off and wait - don't suppose there is any option to swap them over in GAME?

Is there a PS4 DIY repair thread?

Sending mine to Sony really isn't an option for me at this point.

The PS4 is super easy to work on but troubleshooting its problems tends to be very weird. I have this bizarre issue with powering it on and I have taken it apart multiple times and reassembled and have yet to figure it out

Ricky_R

Make sure you have your old one deactivated as your primary system when you get the knew one. I didn't and I lost access to all my downloaded games when the Internet went out a few days ago.

Yeah, I deactivated it, deleted all games and my user account before sending it. I think I'm good, thanks.

Is there a PS4 DIY repair thread?

Sending mine to Sony really isn't an option for me at this point.

The PS4 is super easy to work on but troubleshooting its problems tends to be very weird. I have this bizarre issue with powering it on and I have taken it apart multiple times and reassembled and have yet to figure it out

Why it isn't an option, if I might ask?

how do returns in the UK work for fucked up DS4s? Do you have to send yours off and wait - don't suppose there is any option to swap them over in GAME?

I'd expect Game with their shitty customer services to tell you go go via Sony, I'm glad I bought my PS4 with John Lewis as their after sales support is second to none.

Yeah, I deactivated it, deleted all games and my user account before sending it. I think I'm good, thanks.

I'd imagine the part where he said

I have taken it apart multiple times and reassembled and have yet to figure it out

Kinda stops a warranty repair.

Listonosh

Oh wow! Kinda glad to hear I wasn't the only one having that issue. Like yourself, I tried all the fixes that I could find on YouTube, and nothing. I honestly want to know what the issue was, and if that was something that a software update could have fixed. When I described it to the Sony rep, they acted like they never heard of this issue before, which is what scared me at first.

Bought it super cheap used and already voided the warranty

I feel like Sony would charge me more than just having me fix it myself. I just need to pinpoint the actual problem

The system functions but I usually have to apply pressure to the processor/Heatsink to get it to turn on. I think its a seating issue but after multiple disassemblies I still can get this thing to boot reliably

I need to double down my efforts or grab some parts off of ebay i think

PaNaMa

Banned
Mine does the same thing, even with no disc in there.
I will wake up at 5am to the sound of my Ps4 trying over and over again to eject a disc that's not even in there. Was happening every couple of days.

3 months ago I just flipped the thing vertical, and it hasn't happened since.
On a whim the other day, I put the PS4 flat again, and within 10 minutes it was auto ejecting again. Reset to vertical, never happened since.

Ordered a Sony vertical stand off Amazon UK. Not sending the thing back to Sony now with Destiny out.

Ricky_R

Bought it super cheap used and already voided the warranty

I feel like Sony would charge me more than just having me fix it myself. I just need to pinpoint the actual problem

The system functions but I usually have to apply pressure to the processor/Heatsink to get it to turn on. I think its a seating issue but after multiple disassemblies I still can get this thing to boot reliably

I need to double down my efforts or grab some parts off of ebay i think

I hear ya! I disassembled and "fixed" my Fat PS3 from the YLOD three times before trading it at Gamestop (kinda irresponsible from me and negligent from then since they didn't notice that the void sticker wasn't firmly stuck). It's pretty rewarding to open a system up and fixing it yourself. It sucks that you haven't been able to fix it though.

Hope you can get it to work cost effectively.

did you get it back?

was a launch unit?

Me? It's on the way. Yes, it was a launch day unit.

Mine does the same thing, even with no disc in there.
I will wake up at 5am to the sound of my Ps4 trying over and over again to eject a disc that's not even in there. Was happening every couple of days.

3 months ago I just flipped the thing vertical, and it hasn't happened since.
On a whim the other day, I put the PS4 flat again, and within 10 minutes it was auto ejecting again. Reset to vertical, never happened since.

Ordered a Sony vertical stand off Amazon UK. Not sending the thing back to Sony now with Destiny out.

My first "fix" was disconnecting power cord for a while, putting the system vertically (I was #TeamHorizontal) booting up in safe mode and rebuilding database. It lasted a good while until it started doing it again. Just a heads up.

I hear ya! I disassembled and "fixed" my Fat PS3 from the YLOD three times before trading it at Gamestop (kinda irresponsible from me and negligent from then since they didn't notice that the void sticker wasn't firmly stuck). It's pretty rewarding to open a system up and fixing it yourself. It sucks that you haven't been able to fix it though.

Hope you can get it to work cost effectively.

Me? It's on the way. Yes, it was a launch day unit.

I mean hey I can get it working. It just takes a few tries

Ive been watching a bunch of teardown vids and I think I have a better idea of what I want to try next

Honestly I just need to get every screw to seat properly and maybe even troubleshoot the two screws that hold the heatsink in place (along with possibly changing out the pasts and double checking the positions of the heat spreaders on the ram.)

Im confident now that I can really get this back into tip top shape if I take my time

atomsk

Party Pooper
My launch model had this issue (and the wobble) on day one.

Got it replaced within a week, have had zero issues since.

Nyx

When I described it to the Sony rep, they acted like they never heard of this issue before, which is what scared me at first.

There have been complaints about the auto-eject issue from day 1, just check the official PS forum, there is a 150+ page thread about it and Sony never replied….

Ricky_R

I mean hey I can get it working. It just takes a few tries

Ive been watching a bunch of teardown vids and I think I have a better idea of what I want to try next

Honestly I just need to get every screw to seat properly and maybe even troubleshoot the two screws that hold the heatsink in place (along with possibly changing out the pasts and double checking the positions of the heat spreaders on the ram.)

Im confident now that I can really get this back into tip top shape if I take my time

Be sure to write down the steps. You might help a poor soul in the future.

Be sure to write down the steps. You might help a poor soul in the future.

Yeah Ill post results as soon as i can

For those of you having issues with the system powering on and immediately shutting down this will be for you

There is definitely a seating issue with the heatsink and there is clearly a contact that checks for a proper connection.

Dunan

I've had DVDs not be able to go inIto the drive, and the controller (from the very beginning) makes hideous squeaking noises when the trigger buttons are pressed.

Compared to the PS2 and PS3 (and PSP and Vita, come to think of it), this thing really is a disappointment. I was pumped up to be an early adopter -- I got mine just two months after it was released here in Japan -- but where is the quality Sony is famous for?

I've had DVDs not be able to go inIto the drive, and the controller (from the very beginning) makes hideous squeaking noises when the trigger buttons are pressed.

Compared to the PS2 and PS3 (and PSP and Vita, come to think of it), this thing really is a disappointment. I was pumped up to be an early adopter -- I got mine just two months after it was released here in Japan -- but where is the quality Sony is famous for?

That ship sailed a long time ago, although they are slowly getting their brand back in other areas too, the Xperia line of mobile phones are great and good build quality and their TVs are once again worthy of the price they charge.

McSpidey

I put some rubber to elevate the console from the table and have't had that issue since then.

I noticed my PS4 started doing this and noticed it was sensitive to not properly grounded devices nearby (HDMI receiver and splitter in this case - the cable). I moved them further away and the PS4 has been fine since, but rubber pad seems like a good idea. I recommend this to anyone having the problem.

Ricky_R

but where is the quality Sony is famous for?

Looking back, I think the only system that worked perfectly for me was the PS2. I remember having to put the PS upside down so it could read discs and I got the YLOD on my PS3 (Had no issues with slim version). Now, the PS4 was defective also.

PS2 and Vita are the only ones that have worked flawlessly for me. I don't play that much on the Vita though.

Oddduck

Today, I was trying to decide between buying the Destiny white PS4 bundle...or the Xbox Madden Bundle + Free game offer.

Is this auto disk eject issue only happening with launch PS4 consoles? Has anyone who bought the white Destiny PS4 bundle experienced these issues? Thanks.

Today, I was trying to decide between buying Destiny PS4 bundle...or the Xbox Madden Bundle + Free game offer.

Is this auto disk eject issue only happening with launch PS4 consoles? Has anyone who bought the white Destiny PS4 bundle experienced these issues? Thanks.

If you are buying new I wouldn't even sweat it man

Ricky_R

Today, I was trying to decide between buying Destiny PS4 bundle...or the Xbox Madden Bundle + Free game offer.

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that the issue is probably only on launch consoles.

Have you tried this yet? How to Fix PS4 Auto-Eject Problem

got this from r/PS4
I've put pennies under the 4 corners of my ps4 and haven't had any problems since. It really does sound made up, but I got the suggestion here from reddit and I was really happy that I listened.
I've had the eject problem and tried the pennies trick about 3 months ago. Haven't had any eject problems since.

TheGamer

I sent mine over to Sony to fix the very same issue. So far, it has been a few months and it hasn't begin ejecting my disk. *knocks on wood* My PS4 also had a beeping problem when it would shut off. Even when I removed the power cord from my PS4, it would still continue to beep. Idk if you have the same problem.

K' Dash

Tried all, but elevating the PS4. Not really sure if it would've worked (probably not), but my warranty ends in November and I didn't want to take any more chances.

I tried it and it worked for a while, after some time it just starts doing it again, last time I fixed it with the eject screw.

It is very annoying it got to the point of ejecting every few seconds and never stopped, hopefully mine lasts until a revision comes, fucking disposible hardware :/

Top Bottom