• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Employee's Anti-Diversity Manifesto Goes 'Internally Viral'

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
He also, I think quite rightly, objects to being legally compelled to use pronouns (in the case of the genderfluid types) that are entirely subjective and malleable, and thus could change at any time. He argues against trying to build a legalistic framework around such a subjective and unstable concept. If you are "he" one day, "she" the next, and "zher" the day after... can I be legally compelled to address you properly each day? Must I ask you each day how you would like to be referred to? Must a professor do this with each student, each day? Can they be punished if they don't?

Are these really the type of questions that cause you to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night?

oneils

Are these really the type of questions that cause you to wake up in a cold sweat in the middle of the night?

Peterson has received two letters from his employer stating that they believe he may be contravening Ontario human rights law by refusing to use these pronouns. I'd like clarity, I work in Ontario.

dohdough

For you as an individual. MOST individual one on one issues can be easily resolved by using empathy and other techniques found in that and and similar books. When I was a waitress at steak and shake on night shifts. I would sometimes come early when it was super busy and that was how you solve issues. BUT there are rare times when somebody is incorrigible. That's kind of a microcosm of society. Some white people who live in white areas see themselves as white republicans before human and American first or second. But when you talk to them and show them common ground. Barriers break down.

What is the alternative ? Blanket hate or dismissal ? No.

Like, my friend Nikki is kind of a hippie and hates Trump. But her bf is a naval officer. They're both nurses tho. But he loves Trump. But they don't even care that much. They just love.

There are too many boundaries. Too many artificial borders. Country, color, religion, gender. Country kind of makes sense sometimes. But the others .no way.
This white guy at google seemed likke he just wanted the same opportunities to take special classes or whatever.

Anyways doesn't matter what I write. You or somebody else will dig out one sentence and focus on that instead of the point. Which is let's just help each other and work together. Figure out solutions without jumping to hate or demonize.

That's naive as hell and how is that any different from coddling bigots? Where's your empathy for the oppressed? Why aren't the oppressors reaching out or trying to understand why the oppressed are pissed or how just maybe, they shouldn't be bigots???

Are people more than their politics? Of course they are and I'm sure that even Hitler loved his mother. He even had a girlfriend! The fact that people can have strong personal relationships with different ideologies doesn't dismiss the fact that a bigot is a bigot. Just because my white neighbors are nice to my face doesn't mean that they wouldn't vote to put people that look like me in an internment camp or deport my friends.

You're putting the onus on victims to do all the leg work.

sn,x1313-bg,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

There's no such thing as taking the high ground when you're already drowning in shit.

Are you sure you couldn't circumvent it by using they or their name? (Peterson doesn't use they.)

Well, he says that he doesn't, but he's incorrect--he uses singular they quite regularly and somehow only remembers that he "doesn't" when the opportunity to be shitty to a non-binary person presents itself. Funny, that.

What is "more than crazy"?

Someone who classfies a movie that happens to have a female character not needing a man as propaganda and explicitly not art.

From what I can extrapolate is that what made B&B art and Frozen propaganda to him is that Belle got a man (art) and Elsa didn't need one (propaganda)

mlclmtckr

Banned
Yeah, he's definitely a bit crazy. Really interesting, but crazy.

he is interesting in the sense that he used to be a normal if unexceptional professor but is now a widely mocked idiot whose only skill is scamming money out of impressionable chuds

although he's not the only one trying to cash in on this one

ralg3L3.png

Sue

Banned
That's naive as hell and how is that any different from coddling bigots? Where's your empathy for the oppressed? Why aren't the oppressors reaching out or trying to understand why the oppressed are pissed or how just maybe, they shouldn't be bigots???

Are people more than their politics? Of course they are and I'm sure that even Hitler loved his mother. He even had a girlfriend! The fact that people can have strong personal relationships with different ideologies doesn't dismiss the fact that a bigot is a bigot. Just because my white neighbors are nice to my face doesn't mean that they wouldn't vote to put people that look like me in an internment camp or deport my friends.

You're putting the onus on victims to do all the leg work.

There's no such thing as taking the high ground when you're already drowning in shit.

K. List your solutions then.

mlclmtckr

Banned
He isn't crazy, he is intentionally an asshole.

He is a grown man and an academic who knows full well that "marxist postmodernists" aren't a thing (and kind of can't be a thing by definition) and yet still makes youtube videos about how they're infiltrating universities and spreading cultural marxist values or whatever the fuck

he got called out for the pronouns thing and like so many people who get called out for being assholes he ran straight into the arms of the one group who loved him for being a dick - the alt right

now he makes videos full of rightwing anti-sjw conspiracy theories which he knows are bullshit in order to rake in the Patreon cash and the internet adulation. His ego and bank account are more important to him than any sense of morality or even reality.

Fuck Jordan Peterson. I can't fucking wait until he gets fired. Every faculty member I've interacted with this year thinks he's a joke, as do like 90% of the students.

I think he's completely genuine. Look at the rate my professor reviews from before the pro-nouns controversy. I think he's been talking about Gulag Archipelago for 20 years.

Sianos

Anyone want to post a transcript to that fifty minute interview so a response to it with quotes of them can be written in an easily accessible format?

FyreWulff

I see where we're at the point where MRA shit is now getting whitewashed as 'interesting' and we still got Gish Gallopers doing their thing.

watershed

Banned
Jordan Peterson is a grade A academic asshole who clouds his prejudice with words. But his prejudice is still there, clear as day, unless you willfully ignore it.

I meant interesting. I watched some of his 2015 maps of meaning lectures last year and they were rambling messes, but fascinating at the same time.

As a gay male:

A man needs a woman as a woman needs a man.

Is that really such an outlandish claim?

Are you seriously defending this nonsense as not outlandish.

Do you seriously read Frozen is propaganda and but Beauty and the Beast is art because Belle sought a man and Elsa didn't... do you seriously read that and think sounds reasonable.

Do you think the advice that men shouldn't treat women as sex objects not because it's wrong but because women will make men slaves of the state is not outlandish?

As a gay male:

What does this mean?

"To demonstrate that a woman does not need a man is propaganda." Do you agree with this statement?

Also the statement that same-sex parents have a quote "fatal problem because the state must be involved in the process of adoption and procreation". What is the fatal problem here?

Or are you talking about parenthood?

(Yes I find that claim to be outlandish. A woman does not need a man nor does a man need a woman especially to find happiness. Why do you think the divorce rate is so damn high?)

Are you seriously defending this nonsense as not outlandish.

Do you seriously read Frozen is propaganda and but Beauty and the Beast is art because Belle sought a man and Elsa didn't... do you seriously read that and think sounds reasonable.

Do you think the advice that men shouldn't treat women as sex objects not because it's wrong but because women will make men slaves of the state is not outlandish?

What does this mean?

"To demonstrate that a woman does not need a man is propaganda." Do you agree with this statement?

Also the statement that same-sex parents have a quote "fatal problem because the state must be involved in the process of adoption and procreation". What is the fatal problem here?

Or are you talking about parenthood?

(Yes I find that claim to be outlandish. A woman does not need a man nor does a man need a woman especially to find happiness. Why do you think the divorce rate is so damn high?)

Going through his lectures and following the reasoning you bet:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL22J3VaeABQAT-0aSPq-OKOpQlHyR4k5h

By that logic, asking others in this thread for quotes that indicate their claims and getting nothing is not an argument either, but in my case I've actually cited where my claims are coming from and why I think the way I do.

Sure.

That's why I actually responded and gave some on the previous page.

And in fact the thing you are responding to are also quotes.

Your argument thus far is yes I agree abd here's a playlist. I'd say when you want to defend a guy from being called right-wing, MRA, whatever and you respond to incredibly out there comments, that back up that argument, with that's nothing outlandish I'd say you've done a poor job defending if all you do is say here watch all his lectures.

Though admittedly that's straight out of the Sam Harris defense playbook so it's nothing I haven't seen before.

Tapejara

As a gay male:

Adding on to what others have said, Peterson's opinion is that heterosexual people need to adhere to long term monogamous relationships in order to be happy, as you can see in his claim that being sex positive leads to sexual predation. There are two issues with this:

1) There are many people who remain single or engage in poly relationships and are quite happy. "A man needs a woman as a woman needs a man" really only applies to conceiving a child. And we live in a world where a parent doesn't actually require a long term partner to have a child, with options like adoption and in vitro fertilization existing.

2) Peterson's opinions on sexual freedom are clearly informed by his Christian beliefs, with many sects of Christianity advocating for the same things Peterson advocates for. It's not wrong to be a Christian, but it's clear his opinion on sexuality is rather regressive not because it's rational but because sexual freedom clashes with his religious beliefs. This also applies to his opinion of trans people.

What's in those quotes?

The same man himself.

Hah, fair enough!

Honstlely in part i haven't the energy to further along the dialogue, i'm sorry if i've failed you in that regard.

I do think people need to understand the full context of where he is coming from. The ideas Peterson struggles with are long-winded, granted, but there is a rather blunt no bullshit approach to how he describes things, and I really do think a lot of people need to give his lectures a chance.

Hah, fair enough!

Honstlely in part i haven't the energy to further along the dialogue, i'm sorry if i've failed you in that regard.

I do think people need to understand the full context of where he is coming from. The ideas Peterson struggles with are long-winded, granted, but there is a rather blunt no bullshit approach to how he describes things, and I really do think a lot of people need to give his lectures a chance.

You didn't fail me. I'm comfortable. You failed your own arguments.

Do you mind outlaying his arguments or summarizing them or giving your own opinions based on his research or something? Please?

Also I thought we were arguing the articles/comments that you quoted from another poster?

(I also don't want to watch alt-right video recommendations on my phone thanks, lol)

Honestly dude my life's such a mess right now as it is, I was skirting along this dialogue because it's really engaging to me, but I shouldn't and really don't have the capacity to do it service. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by calling it alt-right by a massive margin, and i'd recommend you check it out at least just to say that you did, but i'm sorry i'm just going to have to admit I can't live up to what you guys want or need me to be in that regard.

The best I can do for you all is lazily throw out his lecture, which I really do think will answer your questions, and hope that my pathetic attempt will perhaps show ya'll something a little more moderate to what you are seeing.

I'm drinking now as well so my faculties are swiftly leaving me.

Dude Abides

Banned
The best was when Peterson went on Sam Harris's podcast and the got hopelessly detailed by the most tedious and pointless stoned-sophomore level debate about the meaning of truth. It was the Immovable Wanker meets the Unstoppable Bore.

Honestly dude my life's such a mess right now as it is, I was skirting along this dialogue because it's really engaging to me, but I shouldn't and really don't have the capacity to do it service. I think you're doing yourself a disservice by calling it alt-right by a massive margin, and i'd recommend you check it out at least just to say that you did, but i'm sorry i'm just going to have to admit I can't live up to what you guys want or need me to be in that regard.

The best I can do for you all is lazily throw out his lecture, which I really do think will answer your questions, and hope that my pathetic attempt will perhaps show ya'll something a little more moderate to what you are seeing.

I'm drinking now as well so my faculties are swiftly leaving me.
I was being cheeky with that comment but I don't understand what you are linking me. A deconstruction of how the evils of society are made? I'm not sure which parts or specific videos explain how a man needs a woman or a woman needs a man. (To be not evil I guess?) Or how that makes Frozen propaganda. If you still want discussion, I could be linked the specific video which makes such claims.

Edit: I see that he talks about the Bible on his website so I'm assuming that's where the claim comes from?

Thank you for this. I look forward to reading it in my spare time. Hate that there are only time codes and not names though, ha.

So the alt right and White supremacists are now championing this memo and the subsequent firing as an example of White mans rights being trampled on?

Sianos

I see where we're at the point where MRA shit is now getting whitewashed as 'interesting' and we still got Gish Gallopers doing their thing.

Now that I'm not being forced to sit through a fifty minute long video, I can actually respond to this in context in a reasonable fashion! Let's see if they actually talk about any specific examples of these gender differences, or just hand wave about how it's important that someone talks about this without actually talking about it in any real capacity.

[00:04:42] And yet you laid out a very elaborate document and I reviewed it. And as far as I can tell your opinions are well-supported by the relevant psychological science and I think what all do is a description of this video when I link it is are the references so that people can decide for themselves. I want to put up with age about gender differences in general but I'll try to get the highlights for this particular document.

Alright, let's see if they actually get to presenting some of that relevant psychological science, or am I going to have to dive into the methodology at a later date and help further the Replication Crisis?

[00:08:59] Yes. I was doing it like throughout my free time. I and I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on this and I really just wanted to be proven wrong because you know if what I was saying was right then something bad is happening. And so.

A valid point, but I'd advise for the future that you consult people privately before posting a flawed manifesto that you've written with the intent that other people tear it apart. Or just clarify somewhere that you're steelmanning.

[00:12:15]So the official case was that I was perpetuating gender stereotypes that you were perpetuating gender stereotypes.

Remember when the author of the manifesto complained multiple times about the inflexibility of the male gender role? I guess Google listened to his complaint.

[00:13:38] Yeah. Well I suspect I'm shocked. I'm virtually certain that you have a majority viewpoint is just that the people who hold the alternative perspective which are the radical social constructionist types insist that everything is a consequence of socialization. They're a little bit more organized politically but they're clearly wrong scientific when they're wrong. Actually the wrong ethically for now. So. So you probably have more support than you say and it would be very interesting to see how that turns out. So so what do you think about having greatness or meaning now in your life is going to be turned upside down and for quite a while I suspect. I mean so you get yourself out of line doing this. So what do you think about that.

Can't wait until the part where we actually talk about nature versus nurture arguments instead of referencing them.

[00:16:38] You showed exactly what happens if you have announced I don't know what you'd call it curiosity and courage I suppose but but mostly curiosity to lay out what you think. For discussion we need to open this conversation. You said that you know you weren't jumping up and down and insisting you were right. You were trying to lay out what you understood from doing a bit of reading and ends and make the case that the facts the facts about the differences between men and women in employment choice and payment and all that aren't being discussed and they're not being discussed. I mean we know for example in our book The citation in description has been very difficult for the Swedes for example to flatten out the gender distribution for engineers in Sweden and in the Scandinavian countries in general despite their advanced social engineering let's call it and they can get male nurses.

Perhaps if you feel the topic is not being discussed enough, you could try discussing it. During this fifty minute video that came highly recommended.

[00:17:40] You know I think it's four or five nurses in Scandinavia if I remember correctly or the reverse number or our engineers or male and you know that seems to be associated with this quite well-founded scientific observation that women tilt towards interesting people and men tilt towards interesting things and that's associated with testosterone exposure in utero. This is science you know and I think anybody being an ideological Trump because most of the people I would say that most of the people who are publishing this would have been even happier had it turned out the other way you know the findings actually run contrary to their biases because academia is generally full of people whose biases are less and now and then you know scientific findings emerge to dispute an ideological proposition. That's certainly the case with the role of biology versus society in establishing gender differences so the science is very credible. It doesn't mean it's completely beyond dispute but that's not the point either because your survey was actually a pretty decent survey of the current state of affairs with regards to individual differences. That doesn't mean it's right.

Testosterone! That's a science word! I would have appreciated a description a bit more detailed than "tilt toward" - is he referencing something along the Langlois study on infant facial preference? Is that why there's a correlation there with neonatal testosterone?

Also, Trump invocation. For some reason?

[00:21:15] You know I mean I would say my experiences with the press is that the first thing that happens that will happen is that you'll get jumped on by people who call you the sorts of epithets that would be appropriate if you were a bad guy and you should just shut up and go away. That's already happened. But I think you're going to get it out real quick because I went through your your writings which are not history by the way and are certainly not in diversities three way writing some. And I can't see anything there that identifies you as the sort of person that can be easily and permanently tarred with a hateful epithet. But you know it's logical for the public let's say including the media to jump on someone like you when they blow a whistle because the first thing that you might presume if someone's causing trouble is that there's something wrong with them. Then you have to sort of beat them a while with the idea that there's something wrong with them to see what happens. And so the first thing is you have to withstand that. But there don't seem to be any smoking pistols in your background. So for example you heard an ideal Google employee well that protects you a lot and you don't have a history of this of any sort of troublemaking and you have a solid educational background and you're clearly a reasonable person. And so the first thing is it's just to steal yourself to get through that and then out.

Okay, now we're talking about the press. Calling people hateful epithets is indeed rude.

[00:24:17] Yeah well I won't. Because God only knows what's going to happen to you in the next few weeks and it's going to be a real rollercoaster. And you know the other thing that you might consider is that it's possible that this will turn out extraordinarily positive for you. You know there's going to be it's going to be a rough ride but to the degree that you are accurate in your observations then you know it's not that easy to. It's not that easy for the opponents of truth to have a battle with truth. It's not about being real you know. Let's go over some of the things that he said and so that we can discuss. Yes sir. Right so I'm going to take a look here. So you started with a pretty good solid statement I would say. Google's political bias because he equated the freedom from health with psychological safety put shaving into silence is the antithesis of cycling safe. Well that seems even more relevant now usage with the science has created an ideological echo chamber where some ideas are too sacred to be honestly discussed. Well you can check that one off too. Right right right. That certainly seems to indicate that was the case the lack of discussion for just the most extreme northern tier and elements of this ideology some of the extreme strangeness all disparities in representation or oppression. That's a good one right. That's a very. Very very simple minded. And then the authoritarian element you defined as the idea we should discriminate to correct for this oppression.

Yes, we get that these ideas aren't being talked about enough. It's been twenty-five minutes, are you going to start talking about them in any detail yet?

[00:25:52] And then you make a claim just difference distributions of traits between men and women may in part explain why we only have 50 percent representation of women in tech and leadership discrimination to reach equal representation is unfair and divisive and bad for business. OK so that's your thesis and then you go along and try to justify it. So the first thing you do is talk about left wing versus right wing biases. And I should point out that you don't concentrate on the left biases or on the right as if you're completely evenhanded with regards to laying out the pros and cons. So the last passion for the week disparities are really injustices. Humans are inherently offer that change is good slash unstable open and idealistic. Fair enough man. Dead on with regards to the relevant psychological literature. Where are we seeing that political correctness is motivated by agreeableness and that liberalism is fundamentally predated by openness and the right biases respect for authority. Disparities are natural and just humans are inherently competitive. Change is dangerous. Stable. That would be high conscientiousness low openness and they're closed rather than open and pragmatic rather than idealist. Yeah well I don't think any reasonable person could read that column and say that you were coming down hard on the side of either part of the political spectrum.

What is the difference in distribution of traits? Are we just citing the Big Five personality traits, a rather old - if still useful for more localized discussions of individual personalities - paradigm that has since its inception been heavily criticized for its limited scope, confounding effects due to connotational differences of the semantic handles for different traits, and methodological shortcomings. I already wrote posts about that, imagine if I spent twenty-six minutes waiting for that.

[00:27:18] Dr. Peterson can I jump in with a question. It appears from my interactions with many people that they are projecting words that were not written onto the paper. And would you be able to elaborate on the schemas that people develop and how they classify information in their minds. Because this is very much a stereotype form I would think is kind of just grouping a bunch of disparate but semi related people or things together and then projecting an idea that may or may not pertain to that.

Woah, it's schema theory! One of my personal favorite topics. And also a topic about social construction. Referencing this is actually undermining the manifesto, the sentence "I would think is kind of just grouping a bunch of disparate but semi related people or things together and then projecting an idea that may or may not pertain to that" is heavily applicable to the way schematic representations of binary genders are constructed.

[00:28:15] Because misogynists and bigots will hold viewpoints that are anti-female and racist. And so it's a lot easier just to paint someone with a broad brush especially if they're violating the tenets of your implicit temperament. Let's say that you need to dive into the details where real thought occurs and I think one of the sins that James committed was that he actually dared to make this about details rather than about vague hand-waving idiology. That's very annoying to people who don't want to think in order to analyze his claims.

Please give me some details. It's been almost a half an hour according to these nice timestamps.

[00:30:07] OK this site has rules and checks against encroaching extremists and that's where policies aren't. I Google who regularly told that implicit unconscious and explicit Barss are holding women back in tech leadership. Of course men and women experience bias and workplace differently than we should be cognizant of. But it's far from the whole story. On average men and women are biologically different in many ways. These are just socially constructed because they're are universal across cultures clear by logical and causes linked to prenatal testosterone biological males jouster birth and race as females often still identify and act like males. The underlying traits are highly heritable and they are exactly what we would predict from an evolutionary psychology perspective. No I'm not saying that all men differ from women in all ways or that these differences are just. And then you put in a nice chart indicating that the amount of overlap between men and women per trait is greater than the amount of difference. Wrong in so you state that directly boxtops perfect that's a very good way of defending your thesis and also of not overstating the case then you do a nice job of of also graphically indicating what happens if the distribution is ignored and people are just treated as if they're human coler representatives of a given group which is kind of what they've done with the people who are predicating the push for diversity on gender and race are assuming right which is really so funny because it's really a biologically essentialist organ much much greater than that.

Can you please actually HOW men and women experience bias differently? And what all these highly heritable traits ARE?

At least he mentioned testosterone again. Wait a second, if babies born and raised female don't embody the prescribed feminine gender role because of hormonal differences, isn't that an argument in favor of the existence and validity of transgender people? "Acting like males" is a vague phrase and could just be a result of an inability to see except through the lenses of pre-existing schema that the author developed through social learning.

I'm not one to argue that humanity is 100% nurture 0% nature. I just think that conforming to gender roles is better explained as adhering to social pressures and that the biology underlying a person can express itself in far more nuanced ways than a simple binary choice.

[00:31:40] Then the argument that you're making which is that men and women and the members of different races are so different that in order for a full diversity of viewpoint to be achieved you have to pull in people by race and gender which which you implicitly states that the differences are so great that the distributions don't overlap. Yeah. You couldn't make it more racist and misjudging this statement than that. And it's also technically wrong because men and women are more alike than they are different. Maybe if you summed up all the differences you can absolutely differentiate between you know in all likelihood you're going but some of those differences are clearly irrelevant to the workplace. OK then you go through the personality difference literature and you're exactly right on now I see that the CEO took you to task for using the word neuroticism. However that is the technical term in the personality literature and there are historical reasons for that. A better word might be negative emotion but it's clearly the case that women are higher negative emotion than men and that means that they are on average less tolerant of uncertainty and stress they suffer more psychologically or for equivalent levels of uncertainty. Stress is also why cross-culturally women have more depressive disorders and anxiety. And the research on that is rock solid rock solid. Men have their own problems right. They're more likely to be anti-social they're much more likely to be in prison. They're more likely to have learning disabilities. So it's stating that there are differences in the rates and certain kinds of psychopathic Oleg's doesn't put any either gender into a position of relative in theory or so.

So men and women are more alike than they are different. That seems reasonable, we are of the same species after all. And yeah, many of these differences are irrelevant to the workplace or could just be codified as "ideological diversity" in terms of preferred communication style - which is also in a large part, but not entirely, socially constructed.

Oh no, now we're talking about hysteria. I already wrote about this too, where I said "women are more neurotic, therefore the stress of computer science turns them off" is a poor argument because of counterarguments such as "But not off of the medical field, where they have 60% of biology degrees? And have to experience the horrifying routine of hospital life, working among the scent of decaying flesh as the sense of helplessness bubbles up within you like bile?".

Women are diagnosed with more depressive disorders, but men commit suicide at a much higher rate and are tragically underdiagnosed. The strictness of the male gender role has stigmatized men suffering from mental health illnesses. On an important side note, let's read about how this is a significant systemic problem.

[00:33:43] What what does what the researchers demonstrated was that as top come as countries move to flatten out the socioeconomic playing field and remove discrimination the differences between men and women are many of the differences between men and women maximize instead of minimizing and in Scandinavia you really see maximization of the difference in men and women with regards to interesting people versus interest in St. A major major issue men's hard drive for status. Yeah. Well we know that women are high Pergamos and that they choose men on the basis of their socioeconomic status. Right. Well documented in cross-culturally. And also just rational because women have to make themselves dependent when they are pregnant and when they have the answer that makes perfect sense for them to seek out the most confident person they can manage the most competent and generous person they can manage in order to help them bear the burden. So so no no no. Still there at least. No you're not diverting from the central tenets of evolutionary psychology and biology. People will say that is fine. But you know what. Conjuring this out of thin air. There's a nice solid scientific literature behind so. And you know it's also very interesting to look at the U.S. labor stance on gender differences in occupations you know because it's so funny to watch the radical feminists only go after the high status occupations like a hundred percent of bricklayers are men.

Wait, so we're arguing that men have a high drive to select for status... but then also arguing that women also have a high drive to select for status? I thought this was supposed to be about how men and women were different, and I'm not sure what mate selection behavior has to do with performance in the field of computer science.

[00:35:26] We don't hear not being being complained about. And of course men occupy most of the outside jobs. They move more and they will get more dangerous jobs as well. So so these are all factors that are relevant but completely undiscussed as far as I can tell by the sort of the ideological types that would be going after you.

You're on a podcast. You can talk about it. Give specifics besides complaining women aren't dating enough bricklayers.

[00:35:47] So women are on average more co-operative. Yes specially with members of their in-group whether they're more cooperative members of their own group is a different story. Right because agreeable people are in-group oriented and very hard on no group numbers which I think is partly why the PC types are so hard on their enemies because you know them as predators predators on instance essentially do something with women on average are more prone to anxiety. Yes that's true. Women on average look for more work life balance. That seems to be the case. I don't know if the literature on that is. You know but it's certainly the case that law firms for example how the hell they're keeping their women and in partnership positions because most of them don't want to work the 60 hour work week 60 to 80 hour work weeks that are necessary to performance out that extremely high level so Dr. Petersen for for anybody who might be new listening in.

Is the point trying to be made here that the reputation of computer science for having a poor work-life balance is why women don't go into the field? Maybe we can sell people on the idea of promoting more women in computer science because that apparently means less soul-crushing crunch time. Maybe women's apparently superior coordination skills can help enable that too. Sounds good to me.

He doesn't know the scientific literature, but is confused as to why there are so many women in law firms, because those also have a poor work-life balance. That, uh, suggests that women do work jobs with a poor work life balance - the medical field is another example, because working as a nurse sounds like hell in terms of shifts.

[00:36:48] You mentioned that a lot of women might not be you know interested in working those you know 60 to 80 hour work weeks.

This is why nursing is a male-dominated career. Yep, only men want to be nurses because the workweek is too long and women can't handle those 12 hour marches to the grave. (Nursing is not a male-dominated career, this argument seems remarkably flawed to me)

Stay tuned for part 2.

Sianos

Part 2 of 2.

[00:37:07] We've got to get this right here. The mystery isn't why. There are a bunch of people who are low status because almost everyone is low status comparatively speaking. Right. Men and women like it's a small minority of people who are high status on any damage and they tend to be hyper successful and they tend to be men. So you see this in scientific publishing for example so the median professor's male publishes as much as the median processor female. But the vast majority of the high shoot people are males and that seems to be because there are a small percentage of males who are very stout who seek very focused very energetic and very much prone to put their careers first. And part of the theory for why that is is that some men are that that the the the evolutionary sexual tradeoff for men with regards to high status is much higher than it is for women.

Why are we talking about mating habits here, why does it always go back to mating habits? Is this going to get tied to computer science in any meaningful way?

[00:38:06] So there's good documentation and I can find these references to that. The number of sexual partners or opportunities that a man has in previous years tightly associated with socioeconomic status whereas the number of partners or opportunities for art that a woman has is negative correlated with her status.

Sexism exists, yes.

[00:38:26] And that might be partly because high status women who are looking for either even higher status men priced themselves out of the mating market. And there's is actually pretty good documentation of that as well. So. So you're fine you're fine with all that the harm of being piousness to achieve a more equal gender race representation. Google has created several discriminatory practices programs measuring in classes only for people with a certain gender or race or a high priority in special treatment for Diversity Candidates. Higher Ground is that we can effectively lower the bar for Diversity Candidates by decreasing the false negative rate. Yeah that's a big problem. Either have standards or you don't. The problem is that if the standards produce a non equitable outcome then what happens is people criticize the standards and that would be fine if the standards bore no relationship to the job. But the problem is is that if you have your hiring practices set up halfway intelligently in the end it's never perfect. You're actually hiring for out of huge staff.

The problem isn't that women are failing interviews, it's that mysteriously in the 1980s, corresponding with the push for computers as "boy toys" and a domain for men, the proportion of women obtaining computer science degrees dropped. The proportion of female engineers at Google is actually slightly greater than the proportion of women obtaining computer science degrees per year, suggesting that women perform up to standards.

The issue is that the toxic climate is pushing women out of the field. The ones who weather the toxicity and claims they are biologically more neurotic and predisposed to be unable to handle long work weeks are up to the standards. It's just that many others also up to the standards tire of putting up with such an unhealthy environment, or don't want to venture into it in the first place.

[00:39:58] These practices are based on false assumptions generated by our biases that can actually increase race and gender tensions. Yeah. Well the whole unconscious bias thing is a great example of that is like first of all those tests the implicit association test are nowhere near reliable or valid enough so nowhere near the quality necessary to diagnose anyone as having any unconscious bias. Second second the data relating those so-called unconscious viruses to actual behavior is weak. Third there's no evidence whatsoever that any unconscious bias training programs have any positive effect whatsoever. And some that they have negative that say that because people don't like to be called racists and marched on to forced re-education training. So suggestions were lies. Diversity Yeah that would be good. And start to define it more appropriately. Right. And just just start having a real conversation about what proper hiring practices should be which should be objective standards universally applied without bias because that's the best we can do. That's still going to introduce some not equal outcomes but of course hiring practices are designed to do that. For example clearly designed to reward more intelligent people and that is hardly heritable that's actually a real problem.

You know, if you actually talked about some of these ideas supposedly not talked about enough it would be infinitely more interesting than reading about how we're not talking about these ideas enough. It's been forty goddamn minutes, imagine if I actually sat through this!

It is true that unconscious bias seminars don't work very well, in a large part due to the fact that you have to be open minded about them and consciously attempt to combat the bias themselves - which people who aren't fond of minorities probably won't be motivated to do.

It would be more effective to more holistically affect the unintended consequences of schematic learning and how people can become mired in stereotypes they did not consciously assimilate. Shift the framing to address the concerns made so it doesn't have this negative connotation as punishment for racists.

Here's an article that mentions prospective solutions! it contains content!

[00:44:21] Well I guess that's what we're trying to do right now discriminating just to increase the representation of women in tech is this misguided advice as mandating increases for women's representation home work related violence as Christians in school drop out. Yes this the same thing and it's the same issue as the bricklayer issue as well. What are you going to do to chase the nurses out of the women out of nursing and medicine and psychology and social work and university undergraduate programs where they're radically overrepresented. So what about Jews you can get rid of them too. We're over represented in most complex occupations and Asians as well. So are you own your own. You can do this in very limited circumstances to figure out some way to put a limit on that. It seems very unlikely.

"Yes this is the same thing". Advocating for more women to pursue careers in a subject is the same as chasing men out of the field, apparently.

No one is saying to chase anyone out of nursing and medicine - the field where people work long hours under often psychologically toiling circumstances. And as a matter fact, the deficit of male teachers is a huge problem in primary school education and something that should be fixed. We can even identify the social conditioning that has led to men not wanting to be primary school teachers, because they don't want to be labelled as pedophiles and a strong stereotype has been developed against male primary school teachers.

Fun fact: white people become more supportive of affirmative action when reminded that Asians on average outscore them on standardized tests.

[00:46:31] Ethics for small family units and a terrible ethic to run a company by it looks like conscientiousness is the right way to run a company. But I think conscientiousness we don't have good animal models for conscientiousness. But I think conscientiousness probably evolved so that human beings could could operate in groups that were larger than just king size. You know because when he makes sense I think Kyneton level every day for children to have a good outcome in life and once resources are distributed equally between them. So it's not like it's something that doesn't have a niche microloan prioritizing Tenshi are focused on micro aggressions etc. and other unintentional transgressions increases are sensitive. You do a nice job of criticizing. Now I read Darrell wingsuit book on Michael Gresh. It's an appalling. It's a whole load of trying to put it politely and I believe Scott Lilienfeld who's a very good psychologist has recently published a paper shredding the construct validity of the concept of Mike regression. So it's a non-valid construct right from the bottom up. It's purely ideological in nature and it's also one of those constructs that allows anyone who's tended to to weaponize their revenants discourse around that so reconsider making unconscious training bias training mandatory for promotion committees. Yeah that's just one senator. It should be stopped. There's no scientific basis whatsoever for proceeding with that operation. So great.

This part is a bit difficult to parse, but it also doesn't appear to be relevant to the topic either.

[00:48:05] Well you know it's a pretty straightforward document as far as I'm concerned and I've gone through it with a very fine tooth comb as a behavioral scientist and I would like to state for the record that I believe that what you said in there if not accurate was at least representative of the current state of art among well-trained psychometrics we inform psychologists who are experts in the field of individual difference.

Current state of the art = mostly focus on popular theory created during the 1970s. Notably, a time before the reversal in the trend of an increasing number of women earning computer science degrees.

[00:48:56] Any influence on this. I mean you're going to pay. No actually I'm not sorry. I'd like to say I was sorry but I'm not actually really clean. I do think that you're going to be paid the price for this but that the consequences will be very close. And I I I think you did an excellent job on this document. I think you were very careful. I think the fact that you're being labeled with epithets and that you were fired is absolutely reprehensible. You know it's clear to me that you're just trying to figure out what the hell's going on. And you know you're not you're not any of the things that people would like to think people are so that they don't have to bloody well think about what it is that you said get. So like congratulations to you that courageous people are rare and you put yourself on the line. And I really learned out last year. So I would say keep your head up. Assume that this is going to work out. I wouldn't hide from the press because I think the press is actually you're the right kind of person for the press to be on something for you to use. You know you're well-spoken compliant you're you're you're condensing irrational. You're obviously at least you come across as a decent diet very very rapidly. There's no reason I would say there's no reason not to let people see who you are. Because I think that would improve your credibility and make your message even more powerful.

We're nearing the end of the video.

[00:50:54] That's a technical error. And stick to your damn guns. You know as as as quietly and forthrightly as you can. And now you're going to come out on top of this because you're you're on the side of the right so far as I'm concerned.

The end.

Why was I told to watch this, again? There wasn't anything in here that I didn't already address previously in the thread. Was this an attempt to win the debate by default because no one would respond to a fifty minute video just rehashing the manifesto? (That's kind of uncharitable of me to say, sometimes I quote long posts because I feel they express the direction of what I'm trying to say well. But I've also seen the Gish Gallop happen plenty too.)

They never even said what the gender differences that would negatively impact women are outside of neuroticism and an inability to handle stress! The former of which is just rehashing the concept of hysteria and the latter is contradicted within the same talk by referring to more stressful fields that are female dominated!

You'd think in fifty minutes, fifty long minutes, they could actually present some information in the studies instead of talking circles around it.

Sianos

Thank you for your service

I think this is what I needed to become more confident in my own writing ability.

Because I certainly do ramble, but at least when I go on tangents I'm conveying detailed information. Even I don't speak for fifty minutes managing to barely broach the topic of discussion.

I appreciate your thanks too! This took a lot longer than expected and now I'll probably be sleep deprived tomorrow. It feels good to know people are reading and appreciating your writing. <3

Top Bottom