• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Employee's Anti-Diversity Manifesto Goes 'Internally Viral'

Jakoo

The response on my feed was "well the mainstream media libeled him in the first place, so of course he wouldn't talk to them."

Yeah, and if he legitimately cared about these issues he was trying to solve, he would be willing to engage with his critics and better explain his motives. The phoniness here is astounding.

I would love to know how competent an employee this guy was, because I have to imagine someone with such a low level of emotional intelligence was not exactly a power-player within Google.

wazoo

my daughters are major in theiir science course, both of them. i do not know if tech need more girls ( it would imply they have different skills ..) but there is nothing proved they can not aechieve equal or better than men.

I'm glad someone is standing for accuracy, this completely changes the point being made.

I'm sorry if this has gone over my head, but I'm not sure that I understand your sarcasm. Yes, if someone is ideologically inconsistent between these two topics surrounding free speech, that's at the very least amusing.

I haven't had time to read the author's memo in full (job, newborn, etc.), but the suggestion that he believes women aren't people seems like an escalation from the secondhand information I've read so far.

I'm honestly just wondering if this an honest representation of the debate here.

Pau

Unsurprising to me. Despite getting good grades, despite doing extremely well in my physics class, despite the hours I would spend coding in high school, I never once thought I would be "good enough" or "smart enough" to go to school for computer science or engineering. Lol at thinking I was smart enough to get a physics degree. This was propped up by a nerd culture that assumes women aren't as good as men in these fields, and by the "litmus tests" I would constantly encounter from men.

Reading the shit in the memo is just another lovely man thinking he is a bastion of logic and smart decisions compared to his female counterparts. He can fuck off, and I'm sick of dealing with men like him in nerd-spaces and at school. It absolutely hurts morale, and it absolutely affects women in tech. We deal with people hinting at or outright telling us that our biology makes us inferior all the time. This asshole was just another scoop on top of the shit-sundae women are handed by ignorant men in tech all the time.
Same. I was two years ahead in math and always at the top of the class. Got 5s on the math APs. Always won the math awards at my school. Started coding at age 12. And I still never seriously considered going into a STEM degree because that wasn't what girls, let alone Latinas did. Part of it was that teachers assumed I just worked really hard instead of being "naturally gifted" while my male peers were considered geniuses for doing worse than me. (I worked about as hard as other students, and mostly so that I could get perfect scores instead of "just" an A.)

It wasn't until my statistics teacher in high school that I considered myself good enough to keep on studying this stuff. Graduated earlier this year with a near perfect GPA in Statistics with a minor in Computer Science. And even still I doubt myself in thinking I'm good enough to study this at the graduate level. I wish I had the privilege of science telling me my gender wasn't inferior at what I enjoy and love.

Sianos

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! If anyone sees flaws in my arguments please let me know so I can improve my writing.

He updated the the video with likes to all of the sources and studies he mentioned in the video. I haven't had a chance to go through them yet but here is a quick copy and paste from the video description:

Here are a series of references buttressing each and every claim James made in his memo, which has been erroneously deemed pseudo-scientific (full papers linked where possible):

[a list of studies not related to computer science]

This won't address the problem of how the manifesto fails to connect any of these concepts to computer science in a concrete way. No one's arguing that there aren't gender differences - gender is a very complicated concept filtered through object-oriented linguistic traditions that fail to capture the nuances of its expression.

At the same time I haven't seen any argument demonstrating why these gender differences mean women are not biologically suited for the field they created.

Also why does it always go back to mating habits? Always?

If you want me to address a study actually related to the topic instead of moving the goal posts from "the gender differences between men and women do not explain the reversal in trend of women entering computer science" to "there are no gender difference", pick a good one and provide a summary instead of Gish Galloping so I can ascertain its relevance before diving into the methodology.

Does anyone know how we got here? I mean, there's a ton of professions that started overwhelmingly male and eventually got close to or over gender parity - even a lot of very well paying and prestigious fields like law and medicine.

Why's tech the holdout, when it was overwhelmingly women 40 years ago? Why did the number of women in tech drop around the same time women were making huge strides everywhere else?

I can't figure it out.

It must be because of evolution, a process which is famed for acting quickly between just two adjacents generations to produce massive changes in trait expression. That's the scientific view. /s

Unsurprising to me. Despite getting good grades, despite doing extremely well in my physics class, despite the hours I would spend coding in high school, I never once thought I would be "good enough" or "smart enough" to go to school for computer science or engineering. Lol at thinking I was smart enough to get a physics degree. This was propped up by a nerd culture that assumes women aren't as good as men in these fields, and by the "litmus tests" I would constantly encounter from men.

Reading the shit in the memo is just another lovely man thinking he is a bastion of logic and smart decisions compared to his female counterparts. He can fuck off, and I'm sick of dealing with men like him in nerd-spaces and at school. It absolutely hurts morale, and it absolutely affects women in tech. We deal with people hinting at or outright telling us that our biology makes us inferior all the time. This asshole was just another scoop on top of the shit-sundae women are handed by ignorant men in tech all the time.

Shocking.

I thought this was quite the takedown on the common occurrence of men who think their lazy, undercooked insight is something revolutionary that no one has ever considered before while simultaneously putting down the hard work of women.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Then you level the playing field by dismantling those systemic barriers. Like with this guy, it's plain some people use it as a disingenuous way of saying "I suppose diversity, but I don't actually want to do anything to promote it", but I don't see the idea of working to be race and gender-blind as intellectually bankrupt. The only diversity initiative in the piece quoted that seems like it could be discriminatory is preventing certain employees from taking workshops, but the vast majority of what he's railing against don't actually have anything to do with that. I highly doubt his characterization that Google is lowering standards for hiring in order to bring in more women is actually true, for instance.

I mean, we're mostly in agreement, but post-racial doesn't work when the system is still racist (and sexist).

I also highly, highly doubt this guy was being honest about who can and can't participate in the workshop.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Same. I was two years ahead in math and always at the top of the class. Got 5s on the math APs. Always won the math awards at my school. Started coding at age 12. And I still never seriously considered going into a STEM degree because that wasn't what girls, let alone Latinas did. Part of it was that teachers assumed I just worked really hard instead of being "naturally gifted" while my male peers were considered geniuses for doing worse than me. (I worked about as hard as other students, and mostly so that I could get perfect scores instead of "just" an A.)

It wasn't until my statistics teacher in high school that I considered myself good enough to keep on studying this stuff. Graduated earlier this year with a near perfect GPA in Statistics with a minor in Computer Science. And even still I doubt myself in thinking I'm good enough to study this at the graduate level. I wish I had the privilege of science telling me my gender wasn't inferior at what I enjoy and love.

Stories like yours are exactly why this ex-Google douchestain is so, so wrong.

You are so much more skilled and talented than that joke of a coder. Never let a man tell you otherwise! You are kicking ass!

Laiza

Saw this posted on Twitter:
DG9Wc81VoAAKkm1.jpg

DG9Wc80VwAAz6MI.jpg
Because apparently abusing scientific research to further an agenda of placid complacency is "thinking different". I guess.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Because apparently abusing scientific research to further an agenda of placid complacency is "thinking different". I guess.

Are there alt right manifestos coming out of Apple? I can't wait until there is one and the person gets fired.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Clickhole has a take on this:

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/feminists-dont-want-admit-it-its-actually-biologic-6473

Anyone who’s spent even a little bit of time around the internet in recent years knows that feminists and social justice warriors will take any opportunity to cry discrimination, but it’s time we had a dispassionate discussion and examined the empirical realities of fairness and equality in gender. If we look at the facts, it’s clear that, despite what some would have you think, it’s not so-called sexism but instead biological gender differences that keep women from succeeding in my meticulously engineered, six-story mega-labyrinth.

Every year, I abduct hundreds of people from their homes and drive them on a stolen school bus to a secret location in rural Montana, where lies the treacherous, windowless labyrinth I spent 20 long years designing and building to exacting specifications. When I let the people loose in my labyrinth, I give each person the same instructions: They are to complete the maze and defeat the furious, starving bull trapped at the center of its topmost level. And every year, about 75 percent of those who complete the task and emerge alive are men.

Are there alt right manifestos coming out of Apple? I can't wait until there is one and the person gets fired.
Those aren't real ads.
Anyway if all tech companies fire someone they will simply move the goalposts.
What I am not looking forward to is if he wins ta wrongful dismissal lawsuit because google didn't write an employment contract that foresaw such assholery.

Fuchsdh

I think they'll be in for a rude awakening if they think Apple is going to be much more hospitable to them. Certainly Damore is not getting hired at any of the big tech companies.

Kill3r7

Those aren't real ads.
Anyway if all tech companies fire someone they will simply move the goalposts.
What I am not looking forward to is if he wins ta wrongful dismissal lawsuit because google didn't write an employment contract that foresaw such assholery.

They will settle because google has no interest in having their dirty laundry aired out in the court room. Google will even settle the class action suit, if it comes to that.

watershed

Banned
That Goolog tshirt just shows what an entitled asshole he is. He works for Google one of the most prestigious tech companies in the world, makes good money and has access to all the perks of the Google campus but since he got fired for violating the code of conduct the place is a gulag and he's a fighter4truth. Entitled idiot.

The damage that ignorant teachers can cause in young people is staggering. It often takes only one asshole teacher to discourage someone from following their passion or strengths.

I've seen it with plenty of my former classmates and it makes my blood boil to think about it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So just for sake of argument, if all these statistics and data are true, what is supposed to be the ultimate end goal here exactly? Does Google fire its current female and minority employees, or does this only apply to the prohibition of prospective female and minority applicants?

Fuzzery

Are you going into grad school for Stats or CS? Either way, that's really impressive, I think self-doubt at that level is totally normal, imposter syndrome is a very common thing. You can do it!

So just for sake of argument, if all these statistics and data are true, what is supposed to be the ultimate end goal here exactly? Does Google fire its current female and minority employees, or does this only apply to the prohibition of prospective female and minority applicants?

I believe the argument is that its not sexist that so few women are in tech, "its just biology" so don't go out of your way to hire more and keep the hiring standards extremely high. Keep in mind this memo wasn't written just out of the blue, the guy claims to have attended a few internal seminars that were deliberately not recorded (by Google, which records everything else) where they basically said things that made him think minorities and women are hired under "easier" interview conditions.

There is no proof of any of that afaik, he could be lying or making it all up, etc.

The second part was that having internal seminars aimed solely at women and minorities to train them up is wrong, those courses should be offered to everyone. Again, no clue if Google actually does that, it seems kinda weird to have a class that has a clause, "only women can attend".

As people have said though, India for example graduates as many female computer engineers as men and the ratio is near 50/50 in the workplace there so clearly biology alone isn't an issue. Also one of his points was that women are more neurotic (which is NOT a negative thing in the scientific parlance, it just means women feel emotions more) so computers are scary or something, but again that is a fairly ridiculous argument - my wifes a doctor, TONS of women are doctors, more women are nurses than men and healthcare is one of the most stressful work environments around, far far far far far more than coding.

A few pages back someone mentioned the probable cause of the pipeline problem: fewer women go into computer science and graduate because its one of the few college degrees where you can get REALLY far ahead in high school. I had coded video games before I went to college and could rattle off anything compsci related, which is wildly above someone who has never seen a data structure. Its the equivalent of going to college basketball and having LeBron James and Kobe and other amazing natural talents on your team, you will probably get discouraged and quit quickly.

A few colleges have started segregating the first year comp sci students into beginners and advanced, and thats probably a good idea, by the time they are all sophomores they can be together but otherwise it can probably be very intimidating. Few other degrees are like that, its not like knowing all of Shakespeare will really get you that much ahead in English Lit. Comp Sci, math, physics, certain engineering degrees are certainly ones though where they need to have a basic first year program for people who are interested but have little to no experience.

The second problem is that women are discouraged at elementary and high school from going into computers, I don't know how that gets fixed.

The author wrote an article for WSJ on why he thinks he was fired, its behind a paywall unfortunately I think (or at least the stuff past page 1)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-i-was-fired-by-google-1502481290

whipihguh

Banned
The levels of irony from that Goolag shirt is blowing my mind, never mind plastering it online for the whole world to see and begging for money. These people really don't know how good they have it in the free world. The very face of entitlement.

now I'm starting to wonder if this dude's gonna use this to launch an alt-right media career.

It's what they all do, successful or otherwise.

Imposter Syndrome? You're gonna fit right in. At least a third of the members of my cohort (~30 total) in physics expressed thoughts along these lines, which is of course only those I heard. My cohort was disproportionately men (a rather unfortunate and large fluctuation), so gender is not a good armor here. Which in no way implies that it's equal, but honestly, you will be in good company regardless of cohort composition.

You'll have a leg up just watching yourself for self-sabotaging behaviors.

philz

This is why we should be severely thoughtful about programs intended to counteract variables we do not fully understand.

Mumei

Have authors such as this been discredit somewhere? This looks like a woman with a PhD in neuroscience disagreeing with other scientists. There have been others as well, but that's the link I happen to have handy. So to me, I just see equally credible scientists debating with each other, which is the definition of "lack of consensus".

Debra Soh relies heavily on arguments involving prenatal exposure to testosterone, as in this example from your link:

As mentioned in the memo, gendered interests are predicted by exposure to prenatal testosterone – higher levels are associated with a preference for mechanically interesting things and occupations in adulthood. Lower levels are associated with a preference for people-oriented activities and occupations. This is why STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields tend to be dominated by men.

We see evidence for this in girls with a genetic condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia, who are exposed to unusually high levels of testosterone in the womb. When they are born, these girls prefer male-typical, wheeled toys, such as trucks, even if their parents offer more positive feedback when they play with female-typical toys, such as dolls. Similarly, men who are interested in female-typical activities were likely exposed to lower levels of testosterone.

The theory, simply put, is that prenatal exposure to testosterone restructures the brain, creating male or female patterns. The differences might be subtle and overlapping, but they are distinct enough to matter. This is also where you get Baron-Cohen's systemizers / empathizers dichotomy that Damore also references.

The problem comes with a book that I referenced earlier in this thread called "Brain Storm: The Flaws in the Science of Sex Differences," by Rebecca M. Jordan-Young. She spent thirteen years examining more than 400 studies, trying to find out what the studies actually said. And as one review put it:

So where does this leave us? In light of Jordan-Young's meticulous synthesis, it's hard to name any specific feature of male-typical or female-typical behavior that consistently matches up with prenatal T levels across several models of research. No measure holds up: not aggressiveness, or masturbation habits, or even the ability to rotate objects in the mind, long viewed as the gold standard of sex-difference research because it is a skill on which average men and average women reliably differ. There are studies to cite for all of these claims. But what's missing is corroboration across approaches—from studies that look at different kinds of people (say, those with a disorder like CAH or those without), or that try to gauge prenatal hormone exposures in different ways (say, through amniotic fluid or maternal blood or finger-digit ratio). After decades of determined research, if robust links between prenatal hormones and "male" or "female" minds really exist, shouldn't we see those links across lots of different kinds of studies?

And take Soh's example of the toy preferences of girls with CAH, from another review of the book:

In one stunning passage, Jordan-Young demonstrates that this pattern of misrepresentation and selective reading is true even of the one area where differences are consistently found, that of toy preference: “Although girls with CAH spent significantly more time playing with masculine toys, and less time playing with feminine toys, than did the control girls, the most popular toy with all of the girls was a toy coded as masculine: the Lincoln Logs. . . . The second most popular toy among both sets of girls was also a so-called masculine toy: a garage with four cars. . . . On average, the normal control girls spent three times as long playing with the garage and toy cars as they did playing with the baby doll” (231–32).1

Jordan-Young spends an entire chapter deconstructing some of the arguments presented by girls with CAH, in addition to the time she spends on other studies. To be clear, it is not a book claiming that differences don't exist; it's a critique of a specific theory of sex differences.

What Jordan-Young's analysis uncovered is by turns fascinating and appalling. Investigators' assumptions morph; definitions slip and slide. For instance, the modern notion (currently slipping) that the male sexual appetite is greater than the female's "is the exact reverse of the idea in Renaissance Europe." Definitions aside ("one scientist's heterosexuals are another scientist's homosexuals"), when these studies are juxtaposed, what emerges is an absence of context — a comparing of apples, Tuesday and Belgium. Left-handedness is more common in men than in women; lesbians tend to be left-handed; so do gay males. One study of "toy preferences" in vervet monkeys was ambiguous, since the boy vervets seemed most interested in the plush dog (a toy deemed "neutral") and the girl vervets paid relatively little attention to the doll. The girl vervets did prefer playing with the toy cooking pot, but exactly what they did with it was not reported. Children born with ambiguous genitalia because of prenatal hormone imbalance indeed perform differently from their "normal" peers in behavioral studies, but those children have undergone (often horrifying) medical interventions and have also been reared differently.

Jordan-Young's point "is not that hormone effects are not 'real.'... [T]hey do figure into development, including neural development, in a variety of important ways. Nor is the point that males and females aren't 'really' different.... The problem is the way that brain organization theory ... attributes an unrealistic specificity and permanence to early hormone effects, as well as a demonstrably false inevitability and uniformity to sex differences.... Even in rats, early hormone exposures do not create a solid foundation on which behavior must forever stand."

I freely admit that I am biased. But I think Soh has a bad track record—I find her use of the phrase "gender feminists" telling, too—and perhaps more significantly I find her continuing to ignore a significant critique of a theory she relies on to substantiate her arguments to be questionable at best. Damore also uses the same arguments:

On average, men and women biologically differ in many ways. These differences aren’t just socially constructed because:
● They’re universal across human cultures
● They often have clear biological causes and links to prenatal testosterone

"there's a consensus that prenatal testosterone does affect a lot of personality traits, in particular one's interest in people vs. things"

Even if we stipulate that there are some differences (for instance, in any given society, men are consistently more violent than women, whatever the differences between societies), he still doesn't manage to explain how those specific differences connect to the specific outcomes we see at Google. He also doesn't explain why the arguments he uses to explain why women are less likely to be in tech explain why the same thing didn't happen in, say, medical school, law school, or the physical sciences. Why is women's neuroticism a problem in tech, but not, say, as a legal or medical professional? He doesn't explain why women's apparent advantages (like working with people) wouldn't actually make them better at, say, managing teams, or why men's preference for working with things evidently isn't a handicap when it comes to promoting them to positions where they must manage people. How did women's biology change such that there was a precipitous drop in the 1980s for women's participation in tech when it was rising in the other categories? And he does not explain why average differences are relevant when, as this piece notes, Google would tend to employ people who are near the tail end of the distribution, at least at the kinds of skills Google looks for. What is the support for the argument that the biological differences (to the extent that they are biological) are the cause of the disparities we see?

He doesn't address these things. He simply notes one observation (there are observed differences between men and women in studies), claims another thing (these difference are caused by prenatal testosterone), notes a second thing (women are underrepresented in this field), and then claims that, clearly, the observed difference, caused by prenatal testosterone differences, is the cause of that difference. But he (and Soh) don't do much of anything to address arguments that the prenatal testosterone argument is weak, that it is likely that sex differences are caused both biological (including but not limited to differences in exposure to prenatal testosterone) and cultural differences, or that differences in workplace outcomes in complex jobs isn't reducible to something as simple as "prenatal testosterone.

If you're interested in something more in-depth, this is excellent.

And he does not explain why average differences are relevant when, as this piece notes, Google would tend to employ people who are near the tail end of the distribution, at least at the kinds of skills Google looks for.

While it's true we're looking the tail of the distribution, different averages could lead to different proportions at the tails, assuming roughly equal variance within the two groups being looked at. Not a perfect analog, but think of height. Clearly there's a difference in average height for men and women. If you're just selecting for people 7 feet or taller (i.e. the upper tail), you're going to almost exclusively select men. Even 6 feet and above is vastly disproportionately male.

The Economist wrote a hypothetical letter from Larry Paige to Damore regarding the memo. figured I'd link to it for anyone interested.

20170819_IRP502_0.jpg

Created on: 15th August 2017 at 15:15 (Delivered after 1 seconds)
To: James Damore <***********@hotmail.com>
CC: <all-staff-worldwide@google.com>
Subject: Re: ”Google's Ideological Echo Chamber"

Dear James,

You're probably expecting me to start by claiming that there are no differences in the average abilities, aptitudes and interests of men and women. Or that the fact that four times as many of Google's software engineers are men than are women is proof of discrimination. I'm not going to do that. There is good evidence for dozens of such differences between the average man and average woman. And as a matter of pure logic, you are correct that the gender gap in our team of software engineers is not of itself proof of sexism or discrimination.

I am happy to acknowledge that you state your support for gender diversity and fairness. Your memo starts: 'I value diversity and inclusion, am not denying that sexism exists, and don't endorse using stereotypes.'

So, you and anyone else who reads this may be wondering, why the fuss? Why did your memo go viral? Why did it cause such fury? Why did we fire you?...

&#8212; obviously not official, but worth the read all the same.

Has this article been posted yet? I thought it was an interesting take.

https://medium.com/the-mission/im-a...ick-of-our-approach-to-diversity-17008c5fe999

What do I mean by this?
- We get upset about the state of gender diversity in tech
- We make a pact to hire more women
- The pool has (a lot) more men than women
- After some rounds of low to no success, we start to compromise and hire women just because we have to
- These women show up at work and perform not as great as we want them to
- It reinforces to the male population that was already peeved by the diversity push that women aren't that good at tech after all
- They generalize that observation on the entire women in tech community
- Sooner or later, some such opinions get out there
- The feminists amongst us go crazy
- The diversity advocates are caught in a frenzy and make a pact to hire more women (again)
- This loops. Infinitely.

If we increase the inflow of women into tech education, we will automatically increase diversity in hiring.

bachikarn

https://medium.com/the-mission/im-a...ick-of-our-approach-to-diversity-17008c5fe999

Is there any factual evidence that suggest women on average are performing worse than their peers? I think it is more likely that some perform worse, and because a lot of the employees are sexist, they automatically think it is because they are a women. I guarantee you these guys see a bunch of men performing poorly but don't automatically think all men are bad.

Basically it sounds like the article is saying a company has to only hire women who are really good to change the perception of the sexists.

It is also flawed to assume that increasing the amount of women majoring in tech related fields would increase the amount of employment when it has been documented that hiring practices can have sexist (and racists) biases (and sometimes the hiring people don't even realize they are doing it).

Nephtes

Some of this makes sense to me...

Whenever my development firm attempts to hire a new programmer or developer, we sometimes get no female applicants to the job. It's not that we don't want to hire women, sometimes no women show interest in the positions we offer.

Personally, I don't care what your gender is if you can do the job and don't inject stupid bugs into the product.
Of the female development staff we have hired and retained, I can't say enough good things about them.
I wish the pool of applicants for our development positions were more diverse.

Is there any factual evidence that suggest women on average are performing worse than their peers? I think it is more likely that some perform worse, and because a lot of the employees are sexist, they automatically think it is because they are a women. I guarantee you these guys see a bunch of men performing poorly but don't automatically think all men are bad.

This is essentially her point though. If you "settle" for an employee just to fill diversity quotas you will reinforce the sexist views of men in the office and this creates a cycle that doesn't improve anything.

I think the point is we need to attack it from a broader angle than simply hiring practices. We won't solve this with the HR department alone. Society as a whole needs to change.

Kickz

Does anyone know how we got here? I mean, there's a ton of professions that started overwhelmingly male and eventually got close to or over gender parity - even a lot of very well paying and prestigious fields like law and medicine.

Why's tech the holdout, when it was overwhelmingly women 40 years ago? Why did the number of women in tech drop around the same time women were making huge strides everywhere else?

I can't figure it out.

Will Wilkinson, off the top of my head. Me, I think protecting an employee's right to question workplace policies is important and I hope the LRB case goes well for him. Principled civil libertarians exist.

This is anecdotal but I work at a large tech company and I notice there alot more women here, more than in any tech company I have ever worked in. The peculiar thing is 80 to 90% are business analysts rather than software developers.

Zoe

This is anecdotal but I work at a large tech company and I notice there alot more women here, more than in any tech company I have ever worked in. The peculiar thing is 80 to 90% are business analysts rather than software developers.

Most business analysts come from business school, not any STEM programs.

digdug2k

This is essentially her point though. If you "settle" for an employee just to fill diversity quotas you will reinforce the sexist views of men in the office and this creates a cycle that doesn't improve anything.

I think the point is we need to attack it from a broader angle than simply hiring practices. We won't solve this with the HR department alone. Society as a whole needs to change.
Its, frankly, a bullshit argument. 1.) You don't hire women/minorities to fill quotas. You don't do it to be fair. You hire them because literally every study ever done on the subject has shown that your company will make more money if you've got diverse teams and 2.) You don't have to settle. There's literally zero evidence that women/minorities underperform white men in these fields. They perform, amazingly, basically the same as white men. A few are amazing. Most are average. A few are awful. You can fire awful engineers. There's nothing against it. No one will hold it against you.

I mean, I think there are cultural things that need to happen to make minorities feel welcome in tech offices, but it is an HR problem on some level. Minority candidates aren't going to come jumping in your lap right now. You (HR, hiring managers, interviewers, etc.) have to actively recruit them.

Its, frankly, a bullshit argument. 1.) You don't hire women/minorities to fill quotas. You don't do it to be fair. You hire them because literally every study ever done on the subject has shown that your company will make more money if you've got diverse teams and 2.) You don't have to settle. There's literally zero evidence that women/minorities underperform white men in these fields. They perform, amazingly, basically the same as white men. A few are amazing. Most are average. A few are awful. You can fire awful engineers. There's nothing against it. No one will hold it against you.

I mean, I think there are cultural things that need to happen to make minorities feel welcome in tech offices, but it is an HR problem on some level. Minority candidates aren't going to come jumping in your lap right now. You (HR, hiring managers, interviewers, etc.) have to actively recruit them.

1. She straight up admits that is what she did a few times. Her point is "don't do this" not "this is what everyone does"
2. This isn't the argument at all, the argument is that the hiring pool for women is smaller... that's all.

This was about a small company, not Google. They couldn't pay the salaries that attract the top talent and had to pull from the application pool they got.

pigeon

Banned

This article is kind of amazing.

"When I was at Google, I wanted to hire women programmers, but I couldn't, because I just couldn't find women with the particular weird skillset I needed.
Now that I'm at a startup and don't have to worry about that weird skillset, I want to hire women programmers, but I still can't, because we can't afford to pay market salaries (even though you'd expect women programmers to be cheaper since they have fewer opportunities), and women are energy vortices that suck energy out of a startup until it fails.
Also, as a mom, I want to raise my own daughter to be a programmer, but I can't, because she mysteriously just isn't the kind of person who wants to be a programmer. No idea where that came from!"

I dunno, man. I dunno.

Yeah, this mindset drives me insane. Mostly because of how ingrained it seems to be in those arguing against diversity. If you're belief going in is that the only way to achieve diversity is to lower standards then you should take a step back and reexamine your worldview.

I'm guessing that maybe the genesis for this mindset (aside from old fashioned racism/sexism) is the drive to diversify colleges by lowering the SAT score requirement for minority students which ignores the fact that the reason that was done was because the tests were found to be culturally biased, not because the students were less inelligent.

Top Bottom