• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 PC Performance Thread

94b32ccb3e0bf8ebaf3af257edc9025f.jpg

Release Date: September 29th for Ultimate Edition, October 3rd worldwide
Developer: Turn 10 Studios
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Platforms: Windows 10 and Xbox One exclusive

System Requirements:

MINIMUM

DirectX: DirectX 12 Feature Level 11
Memory: 8 GB
Video Memory: 2 GB
Processor: i5 750 2.67GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GT 740 or NVIDIA GTX 650 | AMD R7 250X
Storage: 99 GB

RECOMMENDED

DirectX: DirectX 12 Feature Level 11
Memory: 8 GB
Video Memory: 4 GB
Processor: i5 4460 3.2GHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 670 or GTX 1050Ti | AMD RX 560
Storage: 99 GB

Current Drivers

Geforce Game Ready Driver 387.92 | AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 17.10.1

Graphics Options

Known Issues

Random crashes during gameplay, mostly menus but can happen in races.
Geometry occasionally disappear after a rewind during long races.
Particle Density option is not working under dynamic optimization.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
my biggest issue with the demo was that i kept getting freezes that lasts a good 2-3 seconds. not every lap but it happened a lot.

i want to buy the game but not paying £50 if it's still there.

my biggest issue with the demo was that i kept getting freezes that lasts a good 2-3 seconds. not every lap but it happened a lot.

It's not there for me any more, but I heard it might still happen for some people.

Afro

Yeah, I felt occasional micro stutter in the demo w/ an i7 3770, 980 Ti, 16GB RAM, SSD. Setting max pre-rendered frames to 1 and power management to highest helped, but it was still there. Not sure if the full game has it or if this patch helped at all. I don't own the game. edit: there was also a very slight freeze at the start of every new lap, weirdly.

jdmonmou

Were there any issues downloading the game from the Windows store? Did anyone have a download fail and have to start from the beginning again?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hope it performs good on my new rig

Popsickles

The hitching is not as bad as the demo but it's still there. Doesn't seem to matter what graphical setting I use either

shandy706

I'm in that situation where the game runs pretty well on old drivers and I'm scared to update them. (nervous laugh) I'm playing with "ultra dynamic".

i7 7700, 980 Ti Classified, 16GB DDR4

Were there any issues downloading the game from the Windows store? Did anyone have a download fail and have to start from the beginning again?

Mine downloaded on the first try.

As a note for everyone. Just set the "dynamic" render to what you think your system can handle. That's often seemed to be the best thing for the Forza games. If you're forcing for some screenshots, then change/customize them.

Really want to move this to my living room TV for 4K and HDR.

Try Ultra Dynamic...just to see what happens.

MaDKaT

Upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers and there seems to be more stuttering/pausing during menu load transitions compared to the previous driver for me. Races are smooth though and Im not seeing missing geometry or the odd graphical glitches I was getting previously.

i7 7700K OC'd
GTX1080 OC'd
32GB DDR4

Ultra w/ no dynamic / 200% resolution / 21:9 2560x1080

Really want to move this to my living room TV for 4K and HDR.

I had 3 crashes before they released the first patch and haven't had a single one since, Although I still on occasion get the geometry disappearing thing.
Running on a 980TI at 3840x2160 and it's really smooth.

jman4371

Neo Member
I5 7600K (OC to 4.5Ghz)
GTX 1070 Founders
16gb of RAM

Able to run this at 4K 60FPS at Ultra settings with Dynamic MSAA scaling no problem. My only major stutters happen before a race starts when it loads. I get slight drops during gameplay only when I run head first into a wall but if you don't suck like me you'll be fine. Haven't encountered any stuttering during gameplay like others mentioned so I'm probably the exception but the port has been good for me.

I played for many hours already so I can give some sort of performance review.

I played on both GTX980Ti and GTX1080Ti.

Performance on PC is actually amazing with either graphics card as far as framerate is concerned but there are occasional stutters, luckily, most of them happen in menus, but sometimes during races as well. Game didn't crash once for me.

With both cards I was able to play at 4K maxed out, including 8xMSAA, rock solid 60FPS.

I noticed many graphical glitches though. Drivatar liveries aren't visible, in some tracks there are some textures missing (black lines where road paint is supposed to be), headlight shadows flickering, spectators flag waving animation goes apeshit after a while, in menus driver model and other elements sometimes are flickering, etc.

If I had to rate PC performance and presentation as a whole, it would be 8/10. 10/10 for framerate but 6/10 for stuttering and annoying graphical glitches.

Fredrik

I can see some stuttering on my side screens but the middle screen runs smooth as butter with g-sync on. Very satisfied with the looks and performance!

6000x1080 resolution, max details
1080 ti lightning z
i7 4790 @ 4 ghz
16gb ram
64 bit win 10 home

I've experienced at least a handful of crashes though... One at the final stretch of a 3 lap nordschleife race which nearly caused me to break my steering wheel from frustration :p

Kareha

Can someone check the CPU usage during gameplay, I'm interested if it's still only using 1 core like the demo did.

Can someone check the CPU usage during gameplay, I'm interested if it's still only using 1 core like the demo did.

This game never used just 1 core, not even the demo. It always used 1-2 cores at nearly 100% and all remaining cores at around 10-20%.

Gsync is completely broken here. It stutters like hell. The new drivers changed the settings in Nvidia Inspector (Gsync Application State was turned to 'Allow'). I had to change it to 'Force Off' to get rid of the stuttering. But that's not how it is supposed to work...

derFeef

I still can't download it on my PC, never had that problem with any other big MS game (Horizon 3 or GoW 4)
One hard drive the download does not continue at all and on the other hard drive it does not even start with the error everyone is getting (0x803FB107)

Gsync is completely broken here. It stutters like hell. The new drivers changed the settings in Nvidia Inspector (Gsync Application State was turned to 'Allow'). I had to change it to 'Force Off' to get rid of the stuttering. But that's not how it is supposed to work...

Are you on the September 21st Game Ready Driver? That one actually broke Gsync support on FM7, the previous one works, I don't know about the latest though.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Are you on the September 21st Game Ready Driver? That one actually broke Gsync support on FM7, the previous one works, I don't know about the latest though.

The latest is supposed to fix Gsync. It didn't for me.

The latest one re-enables GSync in Forza 7 and it works, but as always (Forza 6 Apex and FH3), the game's graphics settings are reseted when you update your driver...

I was having 15 FPS with low GPU usage (because of all settings being set to dynamic), I set back all my settings and now the screen locks to 60 Hz when I chose the 60 FPS options (note that the 60 FPS VSync option unlocks the FPS with GSync in this driver). Before my screen would stay at 120 Hz.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well one thing's for sure, a new CU is out next week so we'll see if it cures a lot of graphic problems in this game.

dem0neyes

Turned off G-Sync and gained like 6 FPS on average.

4K Maxed.

thats interesting. Ive got an i5 6600k and a vega 64 and was getting 100 fps but it felt awful. i turned off freesync and it was butter. ive never had any game do this and this is my first windows store game ive tested.

this on a 144hz monitor btw

Momentary

Banned
thats interesting. Ive got an i5 6600k and a vega 64 and was getting 100 fps but it felt awful. i turned off freesync and it was butter. ive never had any game do this and this is my first windows store game ive tested.

this on a 144hz monitor btw

My monitor sometimes resets to 60hz when a game starts u p for some reason and I have to set it back to 144hz. If my monitor is set to 60hz and the game goes over that it becomes a stuttery mess until I set the hz back to 144.

The latest one re-enables GSync in Forza 7 and it works, but as always (Forza 6 Apex and FH3), the game's graphics settings are reseted when you update your driver...

I was having 15 FPS with low GPU usage (because of all settings being set to dynamic), I set back all my settings and now the screen locks to 60 Hz when I chose the 60 FPS options (note that the 60 FPS VSync option unlocks the FPS with GSync in this driver). Before my screen would stay at 120 Hz.

My screen is 165 Hz, but I have to set it 60 FPS in the settings for it to work properly?

I found my problem btw. I had the resolution at 4K on my 1440p monitor. Switching to native resolved the stuttering. I feel dumb :)

Bydobob

Video showing 4k performance at 130% resolution scale with a 6700k/1080ti. Full specs in description.

My takeaway is the game isn't designed to run much beyond 60fps:

- Lowering resolution scale and capping at higher framerate starts seeing CPU-related dips.

- Upping resolution scale gets the GPU working more like it should, but craps out whenever there's lots of smoke on screen.

- Dynamic optimisation sits me at 82fps but introduces VSync (165Hz monitor) which for me is highly undesirable.

These are just about the optimal settings for my rig in the game's current state, but as you can see it should be capable of much better.

Maloney

I'm running in to a couple of wierd happenings:

1 Audio freezes for around 5 seconds or so intermittently during a race. Then goes back to normal, doesn't affect the gameplay at all.
2 Occasionally, textures for the track won't load, and I am racing on a flat grey slab (can't think of a better way to explain). It usually is ok by the next lap.
3 Horrendous loading times.

Anyone else experiencing this? I have a nasty feely it might be my hard drive though =(

My pc is:
Core i5 2500k (running at stock)
Gtx 1060 6gb
16gb ram
Display 720p (lol)

My pc :
X5670 xeon 6 core 12 thread @4.4ghz
Rx480 4gb @1400/1870
12gb ddr3 @1771mhz.

I play on a 1200p monitor, but settings ingame are on 4k, with all ultra/highest setting there is except for msaa which is at 2x msaa.
Benchmark is at min 47(but thats just a start bug) max at 88.
When racing on Brandshatch with 24 cars in the rain i never drop below 60fps.
On suzuka in the rain i never drop below 70fps.
So its pretty decent.
Unfortunately the game itself is not what i hoped but thats for a different topic.

carsar

FM7 crashes every 30 minutes without any error message. However, Forza horizon 3 has not been crashing for 20 hours of playing

Nick_C

I'm running in to a couple of wierd happenings:

1 Audio freezes for around 5 seconds or so intermittently during a race. Then goes back to normal, doesn't affect the gameplay at all.
2 Occasionally, textures for the track won't load, and I am racing on a flat grey slab (can't think of a better way to explain). It usually is ok by the next lap.
3 Horrendous loading times.

Anyone else experiencing this? I have a nasty feely it might be my hard drive though =(

My pc is:
Core i5 2500k (running at stock)
Gtx 1060 6gb
16gb ram
Display 720p (lol)

Load times seem to be pretty bad depending on settings. To run a benchmark on Recommended with my PC took about 1.5-2 minutes to load. To run it on Ultra took 7 minutes to load.

My PC build is as follows:

GTX 1080 Founders
i7-4820k OC'd @ 4.0
16 GB RAM
1080p display

It could just be both of our hard drives shitting the bed, or it could just be really long load times. I think closer to the latter given that load times are "masked" with the race setup menus. When you run a benchmark you stare at a black screen with spinning lines in the corner, making the wait more noticeable.

Nothing about performance improvements in the patch notes so don't hold your breath.

Thought there might be something, considerning they used the super ambiguous "PC and multiplayer stability improvements".

Nick_C

Might also be worth noting, after running a benchmark under various settings the menu music disappears. It only returns when a new menu screen loads.

dr_rus

Turned off G-Sync and gained like 6 FPS on average.

4K Maxed.

Turning off Gsync will increase performance everywhere. Gsync slows down frames rendering a little bit because it prevents frames from being presented on top of other frames ("tearing"). This is by design and applicable to any VRR and is somewhat the same as with triple buffered vsync.

horkrux

I still can't download it on my PC, never had that problem with any other big MS game (Horizon 3 or GoW 4)
One hard drive the download does not continue at all and on the other hard drive it does not even start with the error everyone is getting (0x803FB107)

Store app itself is up to date?

This runs wayyyyy better than the Demo. They never should have released the demo in the shape it was in.

Even the cars feel better.

Top Bottom