• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 7 PC Performance Thread

Ogawa-san

Kinda sucks to hear about how the performance differs from demo to retail. I tried the demo again yesterday with the new Nvidia driver, it ran better but still made my machine feel inadequate. I don't want to buy it just to see if it runs well enough.

Kinda sucks to hear about how the performance differs from demo to retail. I tried the demo again yesterday with the new Nvidia driver, it ran better but still made my machine feel inadequate. I don't want to buy it just to see if it runs well enough.

My main rig is down needing a new water cooler so I am on my wife's PC for now. I tried the demo on release and it was a mess, stuttering and freezing. Menus would lag etc.

Retail works almost flawlessly. I had some stutters in menu first time I launched but it went away after a reboot. Night and day difference for sure.

i5 2400/ 8gb/ 1070 on her rig. Runs great so far.

Crashes every time I go to paint a car. I can apply a downloaded design but paint it a solid color and bam app closes.

GrazGamer

Just like Horizon 3, this game does not like any kind of PC tuning software, EVGA Precision Server, Gigabyte App Centre all cause it to crash on loading. Once they are disabled, runs fine.

Gestault

Video showing 4k performance at 130% resolution scale with a 6700k/1080ti. Full specs in description.

My takeaway is the game isn't designed to run much beyond 60fps:

- Lowering resolution scale and capping at higher framerate starts seeing CPU-related dips.

- Upping resolution scale gets the GPU working more like it should, but craps out whenever there's lots of smoke on screen.

- Dynamic optimisation sits me at 82fps but introduces VSync (165Hz monitor) which for me is highly undesirable.

These are just about the optimal settings for my rig in the game's current state, but as you can see it should be capable of much better.

Fancy

qtuNiyW.gif

PowerK

Just like Horizon 3, this game does not like any kind of PC tuning software, EVGA Precision Server, Gigabyte App Centre all cause it to crash on loading. Once they are disabled, runs fine.
Both AIDA64 and MSI AfterBurner are running fine here while plying Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7.

sTiTcH AU

After turning off all the 'game' related settings in windows 10 like dvr and game bar, F7 is running like a dream for me.

Qassim

Just like Horizon 3, MSI Afterburner works fine for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Izuna

Banned
Will revisit this game once a couple patches come out.

Can't believe we didn't even get an in-game FPS counter.

Somehow i lost alot performance...
Used te play at 4k 2xmsaa and ultra.
But i noticed some low fps today so ran a benchmark and when i used to get 59.9 fps avarage (because of starting run dip ) but never dropped below 60 in entire run.
Now it drops to a low of 44 in som areas and avarage is 57.7..
Didnt change a single thing in options or the pc.
Maybe the latest patch screw me ? Didnt play it after last patch till today...

EDIT 15-10-2017

Just discovered a weird bug, i lowered my settings to 4k (lowered resolution scale to 90%) 2x msaa ultra except for particals wich are at quarter now (1 lower then highest setting).
And on suzuka in the rain with lighting i get 63-75 in 3rd person view.(70-100 in cockpit).
But out of the blue when i restart the race it would lower the fps to mid 50's and wouldnt get to 60..
Then i would change the resolution scale to 85%, go back to main menu and reload the same race. Now i get even higher fps then on 90% scale.
But again after couple restarts it would drop to around same level as before(mid 50's not above 60).
Then would change the scale back to 90% and exit the race to the main menu of the game. Reload same exact race and yep 63-75 in 3rd person and 70-100 in cockpit...
All the data didnt show a drop in gpu or cpu usage, no difference in vram/ram usage nothing...
This game is just really bugged i believe..

ALSO:
Lower your particle effects to quarter(2nd highest setting) and i didnt get the drops when driving through a water puddle. And really looked close but didnt notice any difference in quality really.

Qassim

I just started this up for the first time since the creators update and had a degradation in performance, frametime spikes here and there and generally just not close to as smooth as I had it (I cap at 75fps and 98% of the time it's rock solid there, frametime readings don't move either, a solid line at 13.3ms).

I went through the Windows 10 gaming settings and found that game mode is no longer a global toggle.. so I re-enabled the gamebar - booted up Forza 7, and checked the settings for that game. Game mode was enabled. So, disabled it, quit the game, turned off the game bar and booted up the game again. Back in the race and it was as smooth as before.

I was sceptical that game mode would provide any real benefit before it's release, but I never expected it to degrade performance, let alone degrade performance to the degree it has been doing ON MICROSOFT'S OWN GAMES.

That they've somehow re-enabled it on this game and slightly obfuscated the global settings for it... is beyond ridiculous.

Do these affect the demo? I'm guessing not.

Also do the menus stutter like crazy even with these drivers? After the creators update people with the best rigs possible said the menus stutter.

dr_rus

Is that using the built in benchmark or a custom run?

I don't know if they've used the same testing method for new drivers as with the rest of their benchmark there but if yes then this is a result of a replay of full lap on Indianapolis track.

Top Bottom