• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 720 Rumours: Specs, Release Date, Launch Games Round Up

Globox_82

Banned
[Updated 24 Feb 2012]

Xbox 720 rumours are heating up, so we've rounded up as many as possible for you to check out, as well investigated them further to try and see if they are plausible, or just plain nonsense.

We'll be updating this page as new rumous appear, so boomark it for all of the latest Xbox 720 news as it happens.

Also, if you have a Xbox 720 news tip, get in touch via the comment box below.

Xbox 720 has the working title ‘Durango’

First reported in mid-February, sources close to Microsoft apparently revealed that the manufacturer is using the internal codename ‘Durango’ when referring to its next console.

If the console has a working title then chances are it is either a fair way through the development phase, or is firmly on the minds of those in charge at Microsoft. The rumour doesn’t go much further beyond this, but the name Durango is, itself, quite interesting.

Durango is the name of a Mexican state, which ties into Microsoft’s working title for Kinect, which was Natal, another South American city situated in Brazil. Could the South American theme be Microsoft’s way of naming up work in progress projects? We’ll know soon enough.

Xbox 720 is six times more powerful than Xbox 360

This assumption began after rumours suggested that the Xbox 720 would use a GPU that is close to, or derived from an AMD Radeon 6670. If true, this would make the Xbox 720 only six times as powerful as its successor. In the grand scheme of hardware generation leaps, this is pitiful.

NowGamer recently discussed at length what the impact would be should this rumour turn out to be true. Well, while the AMD Radeon 6670 GPU is capable of 1080p HD visuals, Direct X11 compatibility and 3D imagery, it doesn’t do much else.

But, this would result in cheaper manufacturing costs for Microsoft and a lower selling price at market. While this would result in a cost-effective Xbox 720 that families and parents could afford on a budget – just like Nintendo Wii – it doesn’t seem likely that Microsoft would abandon its penchant for high-power, triple-a experiences just yet.

The Radeon 6670 rumour originally spun out of reports that production had begun on Xbox 720 dev kits, and that they included the GPU. However, it has also been suggested that both Ubisoft and EA are already developing titles on even earlier versions of the hardware.

Xbox 720 will run Unreal Engine 4

In early February 2012, Epic’s Mark Rein revealed that the studio would reveal Unreal Engine 4 later this year, and he said that it is currently running on “Systems we can’t name yet.” Rein dropped the info bomb at the DICE summit in Las Vegas, and the jury is still out on what formats he was referring to.

Given Xbox 360’s influx of Unreal Engine 3-powered titles over the years, it’s silly to assume that Xbox 720 won’t run Unreal Engine 4. Aside from Xbox 720, it seems likely that Wii U and whatever Sony has lined up next for the PlayStation brand will also run the engine.

Xbox 720 will use Windows 9 and will be cheaper

Following on from rumours that Xbox 720 will use a more cost-effective GPU, and will therefore be cheaper, a reliable source of Microsoft leaks MS Nerd claimed that Xbox 720 will run on Windows 9 – not a complete emulation of the PC-based Windows of course, but more likely a selection of key features.

Much like Xbox 360 now uses elements of Windows 8’s Metro visual interface, Xbox 720 could use some features of whatever Microsoft is planning with Windows 9.

According to MS Nerd, the Xbox 720 will also, “Use a Zune HD-like hardware platform—a 'main' processor with multiple dedicated assistive cores for graphics, AI, physics, sound, networking, encryption and sensors. It will be custom designed by Microsoft and two partners based on the ARM architecture.”

“It will be cheaper than the 360, further enabling Kinect adoption. And it will be far smaller than the 360. It will also demonstrate how Windows Phone could possible implement Windows 9’s dev platform on the lower end.”

Microsoft is having a huge Xbox 720 recruitment drive

This brand-new piece of information comes by way of a Microsoft job listing on both Gamasutra, and Microsoft’s own recruitment page. The company has started ramping up vacancies in the hardware section of its career site, with some references to gaming.

One vacancy listing in particular is for a Senior Network Programmer for something called ‘Platform Next’. As the job is specifically lifted under the Microsoft Studios gaming arm of the company, it seems likely that ‘Platform Next’ is a referral to Xbox 720.

The post also makes reference to the role being part of a “Next-generation project, built from the ground up in Microsoft Game Studios.” So whether this is a direct reference to Xbox 720 hardware itself, or a game for Microsoft’s new project, it’s clear that work is in full swing on the platform.

Project Gotham Racing 5 is an Xbox 720 launch title

While Project Gotham Racing 4 developer Bizarre Creations might be no more, it seems that Microsoft is looking to revive its former flagship racing series. Rumours of the game’s existence began way back in 2009 through the unlikeliest of sources.

Owner of a Tesla Roadster supercar, Tom Burt revealed on a Tesla enthusiast blog that Microsoft Games Studios asked Burt if he could take his car to the track in order for the developers to record the engine sounds for both Forza Motorsport 3, and a new Project Gotham Racing title.

Jump forward to 2012, and new reports started filtering through the news cracks regarding Project Gotham Racing 5. The current rumour is that the game will be an Xbox 720 launch title, and that Microsoft is looking to farm the game out to a third-party development studio.

If Project Gotham Racing 5 is indeed an Xbox 720 launch title, then the chances of it appearing at E3 2012 are slim. However, Microsoft has launched both Xbox consoles with Project Gotham Racing games, so there is a good chance this will happen again.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1258261/xbox_720_rumours_specs_release_date_launch_games_round_up.html

Good roundup. As someone who has generally stayed away from most new console rumors, for fear of disappointment, this is a good quick read

fernoca

bgassassin did something similar back in January. (a summary/round-up of rumors)

But lack of interest combined that everything are just rumors from different sources and citing different things (specs, tablets, Kinect 2.0, etc.) made for a thread that was largely ignored.

Good luck with yours if anything.

And as noted, Mexico is not in South America. :p
Durango is the name of a Mexican state, which ties into Microsoft’s working title for Kinect, which was Natal, another South American city situated in Brazil. Could the South American theme be Microsoft’s way of naming up work in progress projects? We’ll know soon enough.

Krilekk

Banned

First reported in mid-February, sources close to Microsoft apparently revealed that the manufacturer is using the internal codename ‘Durango’ when referring to its next console.

There are also rumours pointing towards Loop/Infinity (which would make sense with Windows integration).

Xbox 720 will use Windows 9 and will be cheaper

Following on from rumours that Xbox 720 will use a more cost-effective GPU, and will therefore be cheaper, a reliable source of Microsoft leaks MS Nerd claimed that Xbox 720 will run on Windows 9 – not a complete emulation of the PC-based Windows of course, but more likely a selection of key features.

Never heard that one. It is rumoured to run some kind of Windows 8 but definitely not Windows 9, which won't be around for at least another three years.

Much like Xbox 360 now uses elements of Windows 8’s Metro visual interface, Xbox 720 could use some features of whatever Microsoft is planning with Windows 9.

The new dash isn't using Windows 8's Metro, it is using Windows Phone's Metro which will also be in Windows 8.

Jump forward to 2012, and new reports started filtering through the news cracks regarding Project Gotham Racing 5. The current rumour is that the game will be an Xbox 720 launch title, and that Microsoft is looking to farm the game out to a third-party development studio.

That's not a 2012 rumour, that's from late 2010.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/36227/Project-Gotham-Racing-revival-underway

Windows...9? Did I miss something?

Yeah, how long until windows 9 even? Surely not 2013, the speculated release year? Unless, of course, they plan to use stuff from windows 8 and 9 before 9 is official, but do they really know what they plan for 9 enough to plan it into the 720?

slider

Decent round-up. I'm ready but, weirdly, I don't expect an E3 announcement. Maybe later in the year.

[Updated 24 Feb 2012]Given Xbox 360’s influx of Unreal Engine 3-powered titles over the years, it’s silly to assume that Xbox 720 won’t run Unreal Engine 4.

Is there a name for a sentence constructed like this? I mean silly to assume * won't run...? It seems simpler (maybe because it's positive) to say "it's safe to assume * will run... /totally not important

It would indeed be pitful if Xbox 3 was only 6 times more powerful (I know x times means nothing without context) than Xbox 360. That's much less of a leap than the original Xbox to Xbox 360. Especially given the much larger gap in time between Xbox 360 and Xbox 3 (7-8 years) compared to Xbox to Xbox 360 (4 years).

Marco1

With the upcoming UE4 reveal at GDC, I would imagine that to be a close approximation of what nextbox will be capable of.
MS want epic in their pockets and they will want a very close relationship with them.
I wouldn't be surprised if epic and crytek had some say into what MS should build.
MS are extremely aware of the multi-platform comparisons being in their favour, they will will want to keep that winning streak next-gen, trust me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everytime I hear of the PGR5 rumour I get really excited and then am hit with profound sadness.

Good round up though.

Jonm1010

Banned
With the upcoming UE4 reveal at GDC, I would imagine that to be a close approximation of what nextbox will be capable of.
MS want epic in their pockets and they will want a very close relationship with them.
I wouldn't be surprised if epic and crytek had some say into what MS should build.
MS are extremely aware of the multi-platform comparisons being in their favour, they will will want to keep that winning streak next-gen, trust me.

I pretty much agree with this.

Sean

Banned
Yeah, how long until windows 9 even? Surely not 2013, the speculated release year? Unless, of course, they plan to use stuff from windows 8 and 9 before 9 is official, but do they really know what they plan for 9 enough to plan it into the 720?

"could use some features of whatever Microsoft is planning with Windows 9" is not the same as 'running on a fully-featured and finalized version Windows 9'... It's completely possible and would make a lot of sense.

20yearoldnerd

Neo Member
I would have stuck with this thread until you said, "windows 9".

Windows 8 is about to launch, wouldn't see the 9th one coming till 2014-15.

Also. Does anyone else think the M$ isn't going to power route? If this gen has proven anything, power isn't a factor for the the victory.

Why would Microsoft use a low-end DX11 GPU in a console that's supposedly going to be based on Windows 9?
I know Windows 8 will be using DX11.1 but wouldn't Windows 9 make use of DX12? It doesn't make sense to me.

I call bullshit on the 6x 360 rumor.

mclaren777

Owner of a Tesla Roadster supercar, Tom Burt revealed on a Tesla enthusiast blog that Microsoft Games Studios asked Burt if he could take his car to the track in order for the developers to record the engine sounds for both Forza Motorsport 3, and a new Project Gotham Racing title.

That seems rather odd, but I guess it's important to get the right whirling sound even though the tire and wind noises would be much louder.

iblrKqvXQLTm1i.jpg

mhayze

The 'six times more powerful' heading in and of itself probably debunks most of the rest of the thread because it is close to certain to be untrue, given the state of computation today vs. where we were at 360 design / launch time.

bgassassin did something similar back in January. (a summary/round-up of rumors)

But lack of interest combined that everything are just rumors from different sources and citing different things (specs, tablets, Kinect 2.0, etc.) made for a thread that was largely ignored.

Good luck with yours if anything.

And as noted, Mexico is not in South America. :p

Beat me to adding the link. :p Didn't know eastside had posted after me.

Xbox 720 will run Unreal Engine 4

In early February 2012, Epic’s Mark Rein revealed that the studio would reveal Unreal Engine 4 later this year, and he said that it is currently running on “Systems we can’t name yet.” Rein dropped the info bomb at the DICE summit in Las Vegas, and the jury is still out on what formats he was referring to.

Given Xbox 360’s influx of Unreal Engine 3-powered titles over the years, it’s silly to assume that Xbox 720 won’t run Unreal Engine 4. Aside from Xbox 720, it seems likely that Wii U and whatever Sony has lined up next for the PlayStation brand will also run the engine.

This one isn't completely correct. Rein only said that Unreal (no specific engine) was running on Wii U and other systems that can't be named yet.

[Updated 24 Feb 2012]

*sigh* This is silly. Microsoft has always had a pattern of code naming their projects after cities. This is going off memory but usually because someone from the project is from that city.

Marco1

You only have to look at windows phone, windows 8 and the xbox dashboard to see were MS are going with nextbox.
They want all 3 to work together because they want all 3 of those item in your house and pockets.
My only problem with nextbox is kinect, if it's bundled in then it will become a huge part of the nextbox experience. Something I don't want to be a part of. Sorry MS but what you're doing with kinect at the moment hasn't convinced me.
The problem with MS is that they could quite easily give everything they've accomplished over to Sony if they're not careful.

Scapegoat

What would the chances be of some sort of tiered structure with an economy box and a higher specced box that could run games at smoother framerates and higher res?

Pachinko

I was thinking today about this new console and how lately there so many of the same sequels available at console launches we can actually assume a working list of 25 games that should be out around day 1-(which I think will be somewhere between October 15th and November 30th of 2013)-or at the very least ,within the launch window

From EA games:
NFL 2014
Fifa 2014
NHL 2014
NBA 2014
Need for speed criterion/arcade style (like hot pursuit)
SSX deluxe (either a sequel or a special edition of the forth coming franchise reboot)
Battlefield title (maybe a souped up version of 3 or a new bad company? )

From Activision:(2 of the 4)
Call of duty modern warfare 4 or whatever 2013's game is
tony hawk?
Skylanders ?
spiderman/xmen game?

Ubisoft:(at least 2 of these 4)
Assassins creed
splinter cell
farcry
rayman - whether it's a rapids game or a real rayman

From Squarenix/Eidos:
untitled square game
untitled enix game
Tomb Raider
untitled eidos game

Other games from various-
Dynasty warriors
Ridge Racer
DOA5/Ninja Gaiden 3 port
konami pro evo soccer
3-5 casual games like dancing , party minigames from various devs

Finally , first party games-
Halo2/3 anniversary , the second game will get an HD facelift like 1 had on the 360, the 3rd game will be virtually the same , just in 1080p. Multiplayer modes/maps will be shared with whatever halo 4 uses (halo 4 being a 2012 360 title .... for now)
PGR5 or a different new racing game
Casual party game for new version of kinect
MS published EPIC action game

I mean really, there's barely even any guesswork here. Fill in the blanks with some licensed games and I think you've got the release list for the first 3-4 months.

Also , I think it's time for MS to re-do the xbox live gold system. They need to add in a bronze and a platinum tier.
Bronze tier- offline tag used for using a second controller for someone , multiple people in the same household using 1 system, etc - free /offline only/does not earn achievements
Silver tier- online tag used for anyone that wants to go online with a system /free , ad supported, CAN JOIN ONLINE GAMES BUT NOT START THEM!, can earn achievements , buy xbla goods
Gold tier- paid online tag used for primary user of console, ad free , exclusive content and early access to demos etc , can start and join online games , earn achievements and buy goods (cost 30$ a year)
Platinum tier- (60$ a year) same benefits as gold but you get even more perks such as discounted content

If this is true, I will likely be sitting this next Xbox venture out in favor of PC or PS4. I can honestly look at the entire Xbox 360 exclusive list and shrug right now. Most of the games that I was psyched for this gen have been multi-platform games and their sudden move mid-gen towards trying to emulate Nintendo is not my cup of tea. I'll just as soon get a Wii U because I know for a fact it will supply excellent exclusives regardless of the hardware.

/rant.

What would the chances be of some sort of tiered structure with an economy box and a higher specced box that could run games at smoother framerates and higher res?

Early on that's how the rumor(s) kind of sounded. I don't know if that's still the case based on newer info.

Completely defeats the purpose of consoles.

Not if you do Two power tiers and three package tiers.

720p 30fps kinect bundle 6x GPU power goes against WiiU $399

1080p 60fps pro bundle no kinect 12x GPU power goes against PS4 $599

1080p 60fps Elite Bundle with kinect 12X GPU power goes against PS4 $699

then in three four years limit it to just two or even one bundle once costs go down.

gbovo

then in three four years limit it to just two or even one bundle once costs go down.

ray-j-gif.gif

Busty

Banned
[Updated 24 Feb 2012]If the console has a working title then chances are it is either a fair way through the development phase, or is firmly on the minds of those in charge at Microsoft. The rumour doesn’t go much further beyond this, but the name Durango is, itself, quite interesting.

Much like 'Project Natal' MS randomly names project internaly after a member of the team's birthplace. Project Natal (aka Kinect) is in Brazil. IIRC there was even a project codenamed Oban because a team member came from Scotland.

Ponn

Banned
So basically now is the best time to get a xbox 360 with no regrets?

Ready for this E3 and Velocity Girl...I miss Allard.

Youre too far beyond what the avg gamer or consumer can even comprehend. This would be suicide.

Persona7

Banned

You can do better than that.

ShdwDrake

Banned

Thats a terrible idea.

sankao

That would be a 24x upgrade for the 1080p60 version, not 12.
It sounds unlikely, but I wouldn't dismiss the idea immediately.
I'm sure the success Apple has had releasing yearly hardware upgrade to its platforms must have had some console manufacturers seriously considering it.

Top Bottom