• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central - Sarah Bond has set up a new team dedicated to game preservation and forward compatibility

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...o-game-preservation-and-forward-compatibility

What you need to know​

• Per emails received by Windows Central, confirmed by Microsoft as genuine, Xbox President Sarah Bond recently briefed her team on a wide range of topics.
  • In the emails, Sarah Bond reiterated Microsoft's plans to build new Xbox hardware focused on delivering "the biggest technical leap ever in a generation."
  • Sarah Bond also revealed that Microsoft has set up a dedicated team for future proofing our digital Xbox game libraries across future hardware paradigms to further "build on [Xbox's] strong history of delivering backward compatibility."
  • Additionally, it was revealed that Xbox has become Diablo 4's biggest platform, since the game's inclusion into Xbox Game Pass.
Sarah Bond was promoted to Xbox President a few short months ago, and kickstarted something of a reorganization to streamline Microsoft's gaming org to position itself for the future. With Activision-Blizzard now acquired, Xbox has become something of a gaming powerhouse, with huge platforms across Xbox console and cloud, PC gaming, mobile titles, and subscription services. Even when you disregard the millions of Xbox Game Pass subscribers, Microsoft counts various other subscription service gaming businesses within that fold, from Fallout 1st, to Minecraft Realms, and to World of Warcraft.

The complexity of the Xbox business is doubtless a huge challenge, but there are similarly huge opportunities ahead of the firm. To that end, Sarah Bond recently sent out an email to rally her troops, while also sharing some interesting bits of news in the process. Microsoft has confirmed to us that the correspondence is genuine.

"It’s been nearly six months since we came together as an organization. Our collective achievements in that timeframe are tremendous. Everyone should feel incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved and excited about the opportunities ahead," Sarah said, "We are moving full speed ahead on our next generation hardware, focused on delivering the biggest technological leap ever in a generation."
Sarah also touched upon Microsoft's innovations in gaming AI, understood to be a big part of Microsoft's vision for the future of Xbox. We were recently told that departing XEmTech lead and AI innovator Kareem Choudhry was known within the org for putting players and developers first, and it seems that influence will continue driving Microsoft's thought processes on the tech, "We are innovating in Gaming AI, focused on delivering player-first, developer-first value for discovery, engagement, and creator velocity."

Further in, Sarah describes how Microsoft is continuing its work to integrate Activision-Blizzard games and Battle.net into Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass. Microsoft brought Diablo 4 to Xbox Game Pass a short while ago, in collaboration with the Microsoft Store platform team over on the Windows side. Bond revealed that as a result of Diablo hitting Game Pass, Xbox has now become the #1 platform for the game. "We are integrating Activision Blizzard King titles into our services — we launched Diablo IV into Game Pass and Xbox has quickly become the #1 platform for D4 players," Bond reiterated some of the other games on the horizon for Xbox, "we are integrating with Battle.net, all while launching CoD: Warzone Mobile and preparing for the upcoming Hellblade II, Avowed, and Indiana Jones and the Great Circle."

In recent times, the preservation of games has become an increasing concern, as the shift to digital licensing models and online services has made it too easy for games to go permanently offline. It's a particularly large problem in mobile gaming, where publishers and companies like Apple and Google have no problem wiping games from existence. Even core platforms like Nintendo are known to shut down stores, offlining tons of games in the process. Microsoft itself is closing parts of the Xbox 360 store this year for new purchases, although many hundreds of the most popular Xbox backward compatible games managed to escape the Xbox 360, and continue to live on across Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S platforms. It seems that now, they'll live on even further.

As part of the emails to her team, Sarah Bond revealed that Microsoft has set has now set up a dedicated team to ensuring the future-proofing of the current Xbox game library against future hardware paradigm shifts, ensuring that our games remain accessible long into the future. "We have formed a new team dedicated to game preservation, important to all of us at Xbox and the industry itself," Bond said. "We are building on our strong history of delivering backwards compatibility to our players, and we remain committed to bringing forward the amazing library of Xbox games for future generations of players to enjoy."

sean-connery-james-bond.gif

panda-zebra

As part of the emails to her team, Sarah Bond revealed that Microsoft has set has now set up a dedicated team to ensuring the future-proofing of the current Xbox game library against future hardware paradigm shifts, ensuring that our games remain accessible long into the future. "We have formed a new team dedicated to game preservation, important to all of us at Xbox and the industry itself," Bond said. "We are building on our strong history of delivering backwards compatibility to our players, and we remain committed to bringing forward the amazing library of Xbox games for future generations of players to enjoy."
The xbox "console" is going to be quite a different thing going forwards.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
  • Sarah Bond also revealed that Microsoft has set up a dedicated team for future proofing our digital Xbox game libraries across future hardware paradigms to further "build on [Xbox's] strong history of delivering backward compatibility."

That sounds fantastic. There was an article a few months ago that around 90% ( or so ) of older games have been lost to time.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They are honestly saying the right stuff to keep me in the ecosystem. This + multistore OEM and I will stay, get the next gen system and the handheld.

Sounds cheesy but I think they heard us. That was my main complaint and they've mentioned addressing it 3x now.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

But will they preserve a platform to play them on?
  • In the emails, Sarah Bond reiterated Microsoft's plans to build new Xbox hardware focused on delivering "the biggest technical leap ever in a generation."
Sarah said, "We are moving full speed ahead on our next generation hardware, focused on delivering the biggest technological leap ever in a generation."
it sound like an early release of the new Xbox🤔

We Will see

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Their BC is software based anyway so it doesn't matter as long as it plays on something.
Hey, I imagine PC will always be there. But my point was more aimed at the traditional console space, which is where I'm focused.... its great knowing all my Xbox library will be intact, but if the platform to play them on vanishes further down the road....

There will still be an Xbox platform for one more gen just what will it look like
And that's good to know. I was being sincere too, where are we in 15 years time? I'm kind of excited if it were to be something powerful they've got lined up. But also, my trust has been eroded, so much I'd have to watch on the side line for a while. In short I have a large digital library with Xbox and its great to know that will always be there. But, my concern is I'm not so sure I'll ever own another one of their bits of kit to ever access it again...

Darsxx82

Sounds like Sarah gonna be the new CEO of Microsoft Gaming at some point..
Everything points to this, but in this case the situation arises that Sarah Bond is the president of XBOX and the main person in charge of XBOX hardware. That is to say, it is logical that she is the one that should manifests in aspects related to decisions about hardware.

PS.By the way, what a flagrante case of direct leak from MS 😅

Last edited:
Maintaining BC is a no-brainer as it is where everything is going. I do wonder if eventually we can play Xbox games on PC. Would be neat.

Also I guess we should really expect ARM Xbox?

Last edited:
Telling consumers that their physical libraries are now dead would be a death sentence for both Xbox and PlayStation. If one next-gen device has back compatibility and the other doesn’t that would be a big deal - enough to sway a number of fans.

Perhaps this could mean a new system to convert physical ownership to digital? You know via inserting the disc - it just gives you the digital copy. The problem being that people could abuse such a system. The only other way physical could come along for the ride would be via an external usb-c disc drive. I can’t think of any other way it could be done.

Last edited:

hinch7

Considering that people invest a lot of money into an ecosystem this should be standard. I do have my qualms with Microsoft but their hardware and software support for legacy content is second to none.

This is what puts me off investing more in games on consoles, is that support is dropped rather quickly on Sony and Nintendo platforms after a gen or two.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Considering that people invest a lot of money into an ecosystem this should be standard. I do have my qualms with Microsoft but their hardware and software support for legacy content is second to none.

This is what puts me off investing more in games on consoles, is that support is dropped rather quickly on Sony and Nintendo platforms after a gen or two.

Adding to that, a lot of great X360 games are often on sale (There's a big 900 item sale happening right now) and they make it very easy to get the legacy games for low prices, like Lost Odyssey is on sale for just $8 right now.

I sincerely hope they revisit and add some more games to be backwards compatible in the next few months.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Telling consumers that their physical libraries are now dead would be a death sentence for both Xbox and PlayStation. If one next-gen device has back compatibility and the other doesn’t that would be a big deal - enough to sway a number of fans.

Perhaps this could mean a new system to convert physical ownership to digital? You know via inserting the disc - it just gives you the digital copy. The problem being that people could abuse such a system. The only other way physical could come along for the ride would be via an external usb c drive. I can’t think of any other way it could be done.
I also have no idea how it could be done. The only assumption that would be feasible would be that you acquired the digital license from your (for example) XSX with disk and could play on the new Xbox or even on PC or other platforms capable of BC.
Or simply that a removable or independent disk reader be sold for that type of case.
First thing I thought as well
How compatible is it to use ARM with the goal of achieving the "greatest generational leap"?🤔

I am clear that the future use of specific hardware for ML and AI is going to have great importance in that purpose, but I don't know if there is something we don't know or it is only part of the equation

Last edited:

hinch7

Adding to that, a lot of great X360 games are often on sale (There's a big 900 item sale happening right now) and they make it very easy to get the legacy games for low prices, like Lost Odyssey is on sale for just $8 right now.

I sincerely hope they revisit and add some more games to be backwards compatible in the next few months.
Nice. I don't have Series X/S but still have my copy of the game somewhere in my house. That's a great price though for an amazing RPG. If only this sort of thing was available on PS5, I'd end up buy a lot of old games and have access to my old discs.

Still waiting for a port for LO to come to PC lol. Not sure how the emulation scene is like for 360, but may have to try getting it up and running.

Last edited:

Elios83

I thought they already had a team that had worked on backwards compatibility ?

This is not backwards compatibility.
It's forward compatibility, that means that if they want current games to run on future hardware they need to think about it right now.
Which means that whatever the next Xbox is it's likely to have considerably different architecture than what they're having today so they need an emulation layer.
It basically lends credence to the fact that they're changing strategy and they might even not go with AMD.

Three

I thought they already had a team that had worked on backwards compatibility ?
This just means that whatever they release (possible ARM hybrid device or several OEMs) will require a team to make sure xbox one/series games work on it. It's forward compatibility and not for the 360/OG games.

Are you saying backwards compatibility stops innovation?

Good Lord
I think his point is that forward compatibility often means they launch hardware with no innovative games specifically made for it. Like this gen which had "forward compatible" games like Gears at higher framerates marketed as its flagship game at launch. I don't particularly agree with the premise though.

Last edited:

djjinx2

I think his point is that forward compatibility often means they launch hardware with no innovative games specifically made for it. Like this gen which had "forward compatible" games like Gears at higher framerates marketed as its flagship game at launch. I don't particularly agree with the premise though.
If they are moving to ARM etc then this is a very smart move, a compatibility layer or emulator for BC doesn't mean it stunts innovation.

Basically Sony has pumped to many remakes this Gen but it doesn't mean MS will.

Gears at a higher frame rate is because they can unlock it or tweak to be better on more powerful HW. It takes no time at all to do these things.

Remakes are another story as they use up a Dev that could make something new for years at times!

Last edited:
Top Bottom