• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central - Sarah Bond has set up a new team dedicated to game preservation and forward compatibility

I would say of the big 3 Sony are the ones being stagnant at present. Remake after remake.
New UI?
adaptive triggers?
VR?
Portal?
Returnal? (higher budget rougelite)
Helldivers 2? (Monetization scheme)
push for different modes quality/performance?

Those are examples of innovation.

Also how about more options is better no?
uh?

Are you saying backwards compatibility stops innovation?

Good Lord
I'm saying that if hardware desing is constrained to past software just because in needs to be backwards compatible. is harder to be innovative

i. e.
Xbox series UI is basically the same as Xbox One UI.

Series S acting as an anchor to the serie X.

and with current Xbox's situation they don't have an incentive to be innovative. (hardware drives innovation)

So. is not that Backwards compatibility stops innovation. is that Xbox is.... shit....im soowrry.

StereoVsn

Key words there is that it’s all about digital forward compatibility 😭🥺😔.

So probably no physical drive on the new hardware and no support for physical copies at all. Going to snag a backup XSX at some point but I am done with Xbox hardware going forward.

SHA

Cuigzzi.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
VR?
Portal?
Returnal? (higher budget rougelite)
Helldivers 2? (Monetization scheme)
push for different modes quality/performance?

Those are examples of innovation.

1. Stopped production, also has better alternatives
2. Can be done on any android / iOS device already
3.4.5 Things that have been done by games before this gen

These aren't exactly innovations, more like iterations.

I'm saying that if hardware desing is constrained to past software just because in needs to be backwards compatible. is harder to be innovative

Emulation doesn't need future hardware to be designed around older generations. Xbox One / Series are AMD GPUs which very successfully emulate Nvidia layers from the OG Xbox.

Xbox series UI is basically the same as Xbox One UI.

The UI was entirely updated last year, they also got the new UI on Xbox One for parity.

The PS5 UI is different from PS4 but it still lacks basic features like making folders that the PS4 UI had.

Not sure if this is a positive.

So. is not that Backwards compatibility stops innovation. is that Xbox is.... shit....im soowrry.

You should lead with your personal feelings more often so people can understand. (y)

Last edited:
1. Stopped production, also has better alternatives
Innovation is not guarantee of success.
Those alternatives are not being made by PS

2. Can be done on any android / iOS device already
Those are not made by PS

3.4.5 Things that have been done by games before this gen
not by Starfield or hellblade 2 for example.

These aren't exactly innovations, more like iterations.
is Game Pass innovation or iteration?
is Xbox's backward compatibility innovation or iteration?

Emulation doesn't need future hardware to be designed around older generations. Xbox One / Series are AMD GPUs which very successfully emulate Nvidia layers from the OG Xbox.
IF

e UI was entirely updated last year, they also got the new UI on Xbox One for hegemony.

The PS5 UI is different from PS4 but it still lacks basic features like making folders that the PS4 UI had.

Not sure if this is a positive
innovation is not positive or negative perse. it means something new.

You should lead with your personal feelings more often so people can understand. (y)
no personal feelings, more like an observation of the current situation.

Fredrik

This is exactly what I want to hear.
No idea how it can be done though. How can they get forward compatibility? Unless they just do a PC. Streaming?

adamsapple

Those alternatives are not being made by PS

That is not innovation.

Those are not made by PS

That is not innovation.

not by Starfield or hellblade 2 for example.

That is still not innovation.

Is Game Pass innovation or iteration?
is Xbox's backward compatibility innovation or iteration?

No one called them innovations, they're just better alternatives of similar services offered elsewhere.

innovation is not positive or negative perse. it means something new.

Thank you for contradicting your own earlier bullet points.

Nintendo has also set up a team with the goal of punishing you if you try to obtain games that are no longer in circulation and determining how they can resell you the same set of games each console generation.

Topher

Gold Member
Who is trying to be sneaky by not including the entire statement?

• Additionally, it was revealed that Xbox has become Diablo 4's biggest platform, since the game's inclusion into Xbox Game Pass.

Except that isn't what the quote says: "and Xbox has quickly become the #1 platform for D4 players". More than likely that means Game Pass has more active users than other platforms which makes sense since it is new to Game Pass. I seriously doubt we are talking about D4 player count peaking on Game Pass.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Except that isn't what the quote says: "and Xbox has quickly become the #1 platform for D4 players". More than likely that means Game Pass has more active users than other platforms which makes sense since it is new to Game Pass. I seriously doubt we are talking about D4 player count peaking on Game Pass.
The quote from her is actually

we launched Diablo IV into Game Pass and Xbox has quickly become the #1 platform for D4 players

damidu

yeah most people already done and moved on long before, from what i see. game becomes a borefest ultra fast.
dont see anything special about the statement. just another "duh" xbox pr bullshit.

Topher

Gold Member
yeah most people already done and moved on long before, from what i see. game becomes a borefest ultra fast.
dont see anything special about the statement. just another "duh" xbox pr bullshit.

Yeah, I put in over 80 hours last year and so I'm done with the game. SteamDB shows the game peaking there at around 6k over the last 24 hours vs 28k four months ago.

kqc7sXX.png

Last edited:

adamsapple

The quote from her is actually

we launched Diablo IV into Game Pass and Xbox has quickly become the #1 platform for D4 players

I would not be surprised, it's currently the third most popular game on GP behind Minecraft and Rainbow Six Siege, two extremely-long mainstays at the top of these charts.

Putting it on GP has definitely introduced the game to more than a few million folks.

ZCQPGiQ.jpg

I also have no idea how it could be done. The only assumption that would be feasible would be that you acquired the digital license from your (for example) XSX with disk and could play on the new Xbox or even on PC or other platforms capable of BC.
Or simply that a removable or independent disk reader be sold for that type of case.

How compatible is it to use ARM with the goal of achieving the "greatest generational leap"?🤔

I am clear that the future use of specific hardware for ML and AI is going to have great importance in that purpose, but I don't know if there is something we don't know or it is only part of the equation

"Greatest generational leap" doesn't just have to mean more power. Even right now, I'd argue power is not the limiting factor for Series X or PS5 (maybe for Series S tho it is). It's bloat increase of game budgets, team sizes, and dev times that are the main barriers to AAA game dev now.

Smarter technologies to address those things are what future hardware will need, not obscene levels of more raw compute or even RAM. And other things to drive value proposition, too. I don't see Sony doing any "PC-fication" of PlayStation next gen in large part because the traditional business model is actually working for them (tho I would like to see them maybe develop certain productivity apps for PlayStation consoles or at least make PlayStation-compatible versions of stuff like Sony Vegas etc), but I'd like to see them bring other advances to gaming besides just more power.

Kind of a reason I'd like to see them continue with VR development and hopefully bring some cheap scalable MR as default to their next system. They're in the best position to do that type of thing, just like how Microsoft are ironically in the best position to shift their console model to a more hybrid console/gaming-PC model that more info seems to be strongly suggesting.

This is not backwards compatibility.
It's forward compatibility, that means that if they want current games to run on future hardware they need to think about it right now.
Which means that whatever the next Xbox is it's likely to have considerably different architecture than what they're having today so they need an emulation layer.
It basically lends credence to the fact that they're changing strategy and they might even not go with AMD.

Personally, I think they're still going to go with AMD on the GPU front. But, they might use Intel's fabs to press whatever their chip design is.

ARM CPU, AMD GPU, Intel fab process (& maybe Intel co-developed ML silicon block) would be my guess for whatever's established as the next spec processing-wise. Also if they are going with a PC-like business model going forward some of that would also reflect in parts of the spec.

Like, upgradable system RAM or upgrade options for compatible low-profile GPUs depending on the hardware profile of the system itself (i.e mini-PC NUC vs. laptop), even if they share similar processing specs otherwise.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I know this will be a minority take here on gaf but this is a complete waste of time. Stop focusing on old games. I don't even have enough time to play all new games that come out, let alone go back to older games.
A good game is a good game, regardless of the time it came out and the machine it came out on.

Why would any game fan not want to the opportunity to be able to keep playing games they have loved from their past?

Mortisfacio

Yeah, I put in over 80 hours last year and so I'm done with the game. SteamDB shows the game peaking there at around 6k over the last 24 hours vs 28k four months ago.

kqc7sXX.png

I'm more amused it reached 28k peak players. Nearly every friend/co-worker that games (beyond just the new COD and sports games) that I know has bought this game or is playing it now on GamePass. I don't know a single person who owns it on Steam.

Last edited:
Top Bottom