• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 is currently an inferior media machine

Tabris

I have to say, I am slightly disappointed with the lack of OS updates (really on both sides), but especially with the PS4. We are still missing the following:

• 3D Playback of Blu Ray Movies
  • Improved Blu Ray Playback (not sure if anyone else has experienced some noticeable slowdown on blu rays)
  • Universal Remote Bluetooth Access (i.e. Harmony Remote)
  • Thumbnail / Image for the Blu Ray Disc (don't know what blu ray you have in there until you either eject or start it up)
  • MP3 playback
  • Social media integration with media playback (my activity feed should show I watched a blu ray movie)
I'm a patient person (I did buy a PS4 without games as I knew the good games would be coming in Spring) but I was really hoping for the media fixes. In the meantime, PS3 remains my media console of choice.

What are your thoughts on this? When do you expect we'll get updates? Any positives you've had with the media playback?

maverick40

The general census is the ps3 is the best media device around. Sony did say the big updates are coming and I presume we will get one when it launches it Japan

HORRORSHØW

as far as media goes, i use my PS4 for nextflix and the occasional blu-ray movie, and it's been great in those areas so far. i have not experienced any slowdowns like the OP.

lem0n

It'll get much better with updates. After E3, they buckled down on making it the best gaming platform they could. I don't blame them.

Concept17

I haven't needed any of those things you've listed, personally. But for the most part I just stream a lot of stuff.

Also not sure I would want to see when people watch movies or shows.

TheRook

Look what happens when your a early adopter....We're long past the days in which all functions of a device works day 1....

Tagyhag

It's almost as if they focused on making it primarily a gaming machine.......
Then where are the games?
:p

You just have to wait OP. If you bought the system at launch then that's your fault because you should know by now that you will only get a barebones system every time.

Considering how great of a media player the PS3 was, I have no doubt the PS4 will reach those levels eventually.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DLNA/mp3 is really the only one I care about. I have a PC hooked to TV, but i should be able to play my music while I game.

Oh, and a podcatcher might be nice.

What is it with people making stupid threads complaining about shit that isn't on the console yet. There was plenty of information out there before launch about what the PS4 would have on day 1. I would assume you bought the PS4 in the knowledge of exactly what you were getting which is a console primarily focused on games. Everything else can come later

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Hey, I'm not hating on that. But that focus was done for launch and it's been over 3 months. What is the OS team working on?
It's been 2 months 21 days if you're counting the first launch in any region.

And I absolutely hope that media playback functionality is not the highest priority when the console doesn't have suspend/resume yet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They focused on the right things for launch and nailed them. We know improvements to the OS will come with time.

Clearly they didn't have enough time to implement everything so they had to pick and choose for launch. Focusing on gaming over media was the right move for the time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Try plex. It has a web player that works with PS4. Not perfect, but good as a stop gap.

It is barely two months since euro launch, less than 3 since US launch. How many OS updates were you expecting? I would have expected Sony OS devs to have taken a short break after the likely crux for launch! and then focused on data coming in from launch units to monitor bugs etc.

Added features will come later

Zoc

I really want to get a PS4 for blu rays (streaming audio to the controller is a killer feature for me), but I can't do it until there is a proper media remote. I just can't stand navigating movies with a dualshock.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They weren't kidding when they said that its for gamers first and foremost.
I'm thinking very few of us realized exactly what that meant when they said it in February.

The PS3's only flaws are not currently having HBO Go and no FLAC or MKV support. It's an utter beast when it comes to literally anything else. I've known so many people that bought Rokus and still use their PS3's. Then again, the only reason they have the Rokus are to extend the life of the PS3.

lol did you think they could just flip a switch and add all that shit? Do you know the amount of work that goes into adding these features to the OS?

Holy hell you guys are impatient.

GopherD

Hey, I'm not hating on that. But that focus was done for launch and it's been over 3 months. What is the OS team working on?
Fixing memory errors, improving network latency issues, working with dev support to enhance and fix the gamedev environment and submission structures. You know, a thousand different things.

I'd rather they continue on the path of high priority fixes than getting them to stop that shit so you can watch a 3d bluray.

Patience ffs.

Dabanton

At this point both PS4 and X1 are lackluster media machines.

I'm sure things will improve though but yeah early adopters etc. This is why if you were smart you kept your old console hooked up for media duty.

Personally i don't really miss them but i can understand some do. No 3d is just weird..
I want audio cd and mp3 play but can live without. Netflix and games is all i need

MavFan619

Banned
Netflix and games working for me so that's good. I've only watched one bluray so far had no issues if I I did my PS3 is a hdmi cable switch away.

demolitio

I think it's clear both MS and Sony were primarily focused on just releasing in 2013 so not everything they wanted to pack in was ready in time. I mean, we don't have suspend/resume yet which I think is probably one of their higher priorities anyway because they're going after gamers first and foremost since that's who buys these consoles at launch usually. It will come and while it's a shame it's not great at launch for media purposes, it's part of being an early adopter. I buy these consoles at launch for the games and the experience while fully understanding the OS isn't going to perfect.

With Sony, we know based on the PS3 that they can and will patch in quite a bit of media features over time considering how much the PS3 grew in its lifetime, especially on the bluray front. We're just getting started and while there's more pressing issues to address, I think it's only a matter of time until the big media requests start showing up. I never used my 360 for media purposes but I want to say their features grew over time too so I'm sure that's the case for them too even though it's a little more ironic right now given their "All in One" branding. In time, both will have their pros and cons and serve that purpose.

My biggest gripe on the media side is the lack of 3D support at launch considering it's something rare these days. I'd love to be able to use the PS4 as my 3D bluray player upstairs but my PS3 will have to continue to do that job.

It's funny how often this topic comes up though. Something tells me I typed a lot of this up and no one will read it, but it's my opinion damnit! :D

cakefoo

lol did you think they could just flip a switch and add all that shit? Do you know the amount of work that goes into adding these features to the OS?

They've been working on the console for almost 6 years. Yes, really. 6 years.

Yeah, the PS4's firmware is pretty undercooked at the moment. It's lacking a bunch of features that the PS3 and/or Vita have.

It's almost as if they focused on making it primarily a gaming machine.......
If only these things had a real tangible connection. A proper suspend mode isn't even in, and that's a highly touted game feature. It's a product of time and the need to rush things out for launch, nothing else. It's sad to see console war and marketing rhetoric about being "for the gamers" being touted here.

Blearth

Banned

I expect PS3 features to be available Day 1 on PS4.

No media server and no local media support is a fucking joke.

Top Bottom