• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Nintendo Switch ditch the touchscreen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanquito

So, how would you use the touch features when it's docked? None of the controllers they showed had a screen, from what I could tell.

Chorazin

Why is this even a question? Of course it'll have a touchscreen.

They also didn't show an OS, do we think it doesn't have one?

That dock didn't show the power cable, does it charge via magic?

Does it wirelessly transmit an image to the TV using alien space rays since it doesn't show an HDMI cable?

FFS people. They aren't going to kill Mario Maker when it's one of their hottest games since FOREVER.

So, how would you use the touch features when it's docked? None of the controllers they showed had a screen, from what I could tell.

that's my concern too. it seems like when you play on the go it could have touchscreen, but when it's docked it seems to be just "standard" controller only.

sucks if true, because wind waker hd with the touchscreen inventory was godlike

Omikaru

It'll have a touchscreen, though I don't think core games will be built around it. Still, when you're holding a device with a screen in your hand, the first thing most people will do in 2017 is touch the screen to interact with it. I think it's pretty much essential from a user experience perspective.

Other than that, it'll probably work with mobile ports, too. But for the core gaming experience I don't expect a touchscreen at all.

I'm waiting for word on gyro as well as touch, but it's completely understandable if these didn't make the cut in an initial message that had to be focused, especially when they still have a bit of a stigma attached to them among people who thought the previous Nintendo systems were heavy on gimmicks.

Skeletos311

Maybe NS supports Wii U gamepads or there is a screen attachment? So many Nintendo games use the touchscreen so much. I doubt they'll just get rid of it. Same goes for motion. Maybe the Joy-cons are actually a wireless version of the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

I'm pretty sure that it was confirmed a while back that all of Nintendo's future mobile games would also work on the NX (Switch). Not sure how that would be possible without a touchscreen.

I would guess that while it's a touch screen Nintendo will forbid games from requiring its use. Which may result in some games/features that are a little awkward when playing with the controller due to being designed with touch in mind, I'm sure.

-Horizon-

I think its still a touch screen but limited to just when you're on the home menu or miiverse or using the browser on the go.

Glix

The system probably works exactly the same in portable or docked mode, so having touch would be a non-starter because you don't have access to the screen in dock mode.

The only solution would be a touch pad on the controller thing that goes in the middle of the two detachables.

Mihos

Gold Member
Of course it has a touch screen.

They didn't show Amiiibo support, a web browser, or a Mii.... but I am pretty sure they will all be there.

I want to see an HDMI out on the tablet itself, I can't get a good view to see if I can connect this to my hotel TV like every other mobile device I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom