• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2015. Everyone's burned out and looking for an excuse to quit.

3aDrWO2.png

uaNVpkO.png

Take a look at what's hitting shelves in April.

MR6n8.png

GPLRkCv.jpg

KcHZmMu.jpg

+Uncanny Inhumans #0 by Charles Soule and Steve McNiven (Apr 1). The Inhumans are soooo important to the future of the Marvel Universe that they deserve a second ongoing! In this issue, see a side of the Inhuman king Blackagar Boltagon that you've never seen before.
+Ant-Man #4 by Nick Spencer and Ramon Rosanas (Apr 8). An old foe has returned, and Cassie is in grave danger because of it! To save his daughter, Scott will have to recruit a team that includes a guy in a bear costume. Better hope the ex-wife doesn't find out!
+Deadpool #250 (aka #45) by Gerry Duggan, Brian Posehn, Mike Hawthorne and More (Apr 8). "The Merc with a Mouth" is celebrating his 250th issue milestone, and he's going out with a bang! Ultimatum is gunning for Deadpool, and he's got no other choice but to take them down hard. Will he succeed? Nah, he's dying. Spoiler alert.
+Avengers #44; New Avengers #33 by Jonathan Hickman, Mike Deodato and Kev Walker (Apr 29). The final issues of the Hickman Avengers saga have arrived, and the buildup to the Secret Wars summer event has reached a fever pitch! As worlds die and universes collide, those unable to stop the impending armageddon will turn to -- or on -- each other.
+Fantastic Four #645 by James Robinson and Leonard Kirk (Apr 29). After 645 issues, "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" comes to an end -- and it's all FOX's fault! Can Marvel's First Family pull it together one last time, or are the divisions between them too much to overcome?
+Secret Avengers #15 by Ales Kot and Michael Walsh (Apr 29). After 15 issues, "The World's Avengiest Comic Magazine" comes to an end -- and it's all YOUR fault! Can Marvel's misfit family pull it together one last time, or is the M.O.D.O.K. among them too much to overcome?

*****SPECIAL "HEY, WE'VE GOT A NEW AVENGERS MOVIE COMING OUT!" EXPANDED EDITION*****
KfJUSNi.jpg

+Avengers: Rage of Ultron HC by Rick Remender & Jerome Opena (Apr 1). Years ago the Avengers, Earth's Mightiest Heroes, saved the planet by defeating the genocidal robotic villain Ultron, and launched the defeated foe into space never to be seen again. Yeah... turns out that wasn't such a bright idea.
+Ultron Forever #1-3 by Al Ewing and Alan Davis (Apr 1, 29; May 20). An epic adventure spanning past, present and future! Centuries from now, Ultron has succeeded in conquering the Earth. Desperate to change fate, one man will stand against the robot tyrant by pulling seven Avengers through time for one last battle.
+Avengers: Operation Hydra #1 by Will Corona Pilgrim and Andrea Divito (Apr 22). The heroes of Marvel's summer blockbuster 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' come together to battle the forces of Hydra! Black Widow has uncovered a splinter cell bent on toppling the world order, and only the Avengers can thwart their schemes in time.

QV0uw.png

M9QtEpb.jpg

KSABrSL.jpg

+Convergence #0-4 by Jeff King, Scott Lobdell, Ethan Van Sciver and More (Apr 1, 8, 15, 22, 29). Brainiac-Prime has bottled cities from dead timelines across the DC Multiverse, and is pitting them against each other in a battle to the death! But why? And which of your beloved classic DC characters, if any, will survive?
+Convergence: The Question #1 by Greg Rucka and Cully Hamner (Apr 8). Renee Montoya is back as The Question! Protecting her bottled city from the forces of evil, Renee must partner with Two-Face to vanquish the twisted Harvey Dent of another world, or see her own destroyed.
+Convergence: Superman #1 by Dan Jurgens and Lee Weeks (Apr 8). It's a dream come true as Lois Lane and Clark Kent are happily married AND expecting their first child! But when the bottled city they're living in comes under attack, can a powerless Man of Steel still defend them?
+Convergence: New Teen Titans #1 by Marv Wolfman, Nicola Scott and Mark Deering (Apr 22). Nightwing! Starfire! Cyborg! Beast Boy! And the rest! The New Teen Titans are back in action, defending Titans Tower and their from the Doom Patrol of another universe! Are they up to the challenge?
+Convergence: Shazam #1 by Jeff Parker and Evan "Doc" Shaner (Apr 29). The world's mightiest mortal and his marvelous family have lived peacefully under the dome of their bottled Fawcett City. Now steampunk creatures from another world are invading, and the Marvels must put a stop to their rampages!
+Wonder Woman '77 Special #1 by Marc Andreyko, Drew Johnson and Matt Haley (Apr 29). The classic 70s TV series returns in comic form! In this special issue, secret agents Diana Prince and Steve Trevor go undercover at Studio 52, hoping to crack the case behind a sinister disco and a Cold War terror.

*****SPECIAL "HEY, WE'VE STILL GOT NON- "CONVERGENCE" COMICS YOU'LL WANT!" EXPANDED EDITION*****
tGcnr73.jpg

+Batman #40 by Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo and Danny Miki (Apr 29). You've got to hand it to the Joker: he certainly knows how to throw a party. With time running out against a seemingly unstoppable villain, how much is Batman willing to risk to thwart the Joker's most maniacal scheme yet?
+Justice League #40 by Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok (Apr 29). The march toward this summer's "The Darkseid War" event starts here! Two of the multiverse's most powerful beings are on a collision course, and Earth is caught in the middle! Will the Justice League survive the battle to come, or be torn apart?
+The Multiversity #2 by Grant Morrison, Ivan Reis and Joe Prado (Apr 29). The final chapter of Grant Morrison's epic ride through the DC Multiverse has arrived, and reading it just may end everything. Can a collection of heroes across space and time unlock the sinister secrets of The Gentry, and save their worlds?

9sam5.png

OdO2Spf.jpg

E4R3VFd.jpg

+Birthright #6 by Joshua Williamson, Andrei Bressan and Adriano Lucas (Apr 8). Brothers on the run! As they head for the next wizard on Mikey's list, Brennan learns more about his brother's adventures. Meanwhile, their parents go to war over the choices they've made; is the Rhodes family a lost cause?
+Jupiter's Circle #1 by Mark Millar and Wilfredo Torres (Apr 8). They are the world's most famous superheroesl Fame, fortune, and glory are heaped upon the members of Jupiter's Circle. Beneath the surface, however, these heroes live a secret life that threatens to topple the empire they've built.
+Legacy of Luther Strode #1 by Justin Jordan, Tradd Moore and Felipe Sobreiro (Apr 8). The hyper-violent martial arts series returns for the final installment! Luther and Petra have been on the run for five years, honing their skills in anticipation of the day they would take down the Murder Cult. That day has finally come.
+Savior #1 by Todd McFarlane, Brian Holguin and Clayton Crain (Apr 8). A man appears one day, with no memory of who he is or where he came from. What he has, though, is powers beyond those of mortal men. Powers that make the rest of humanity ask questions about who or what he is. Could he be..?
+Deadly Class #12 by Rick Remender and Wes Craig (Apr 22). Marcus finds himself in deep, deep trouble when the cartel closes in looking for revenge for a murdered son. As (bad) luck would have it, his best chance of survival lies in the hands of the girl whose heart he just broke. Sucks to be you, kid.
+Kaptara #1 by Chip Zdarsky and Kagan McLeod (Apr 22). Only one comic dares to ask, "space, why you gotta be like that?" And it's this one! Keith Kanga and his intrepid crew crash on an alien world, where dangers of all kinds lurk in every dark corner and crevice. The survival of the human race depends on theirs!

9CWx4.png

r8Pacx8.jpg

uOI8Kqg.jpg

+Lady Killer #4 by Joelle Jones and Jamie Rich (Apr 1). Josie's kept a secret from her happy, blissfully ignorant suburban family: that she's an assassin-for-hire! When someone puts a hit out on her, however, the secret may be out -- unless a fellow female killer can help her keep it under wraps.
+Rebels #1 by Brian Wood, Andrea Mutti and Jordie Bellaire (Apr 8). The year is 1775, and a militia movement has risen up against oppressive government tyranny. With conflict looming in the colonies, can newlyweds Seth and Mercy Abbott find happiness before the demands of war take their toll?
+Archie vs Predator #1 by Alex de Campi, Fernando Ruiz and Jason Millet (Apr 15).The Riverdale gang is headed to Costa Rica for spring break, but their fun in the sun is about to take a deadly turn. Someone else is in town with a few days to kill, and he's looking to collect some trophies from Archie, Betty, Veronica, Jughead and the rest!
+B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #130 by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Peter Snejbjerg and Dave Stewart (Apr 15). After a harrowing mssion, B.P.R.D. agent Johann finds himself alienated from his fellow team members. To what lengths will he go to close that gap between them, and what horrifying repurcussions will his actions have?
+Resurrectionists #6 by Fred van Lente, Maurizio Rosenzweig and Moreno Dinisio (Apr 15). Now a digital exclusive! Lennox is closing in on Jericho Way and his team, and so are the NYPD, a greedy corporation, and the mob. Can they break the cycle this time, or are they doomed to another thousand years of death and rebirth?
+The Order of the Forge #1 by Victor Gischler and Tazio Bettin (Apr 29). Vampires? Pfft. Our nation's first president cut his teeth on the walking dead! George and his pals Ben and Paul are out to thwart a madman's quest to rule a colonial empire of zombies. They don't teach this one in history class (because it never happened).

ymY7S.png

YhL8MMk.jpg

LV3jEXA.jpg

+MLP Fiendship is Magic #1-5 by Various Writers and Artists (Apr 1, 8, 15, 22, 29). This time it's the bad guys' turn to shine! Each week, explore the secret origins of Equestria's most nefarious villains, and what led them to walk on the dark side. Each new revelation will chart the future of the MLP series, and lead to its first major event!
+Drones #1 by Chris Lewis and Bruno Oliveira (Apr 15). In Las Vegas, two former drone operators find themselves overwhelmed as the lines between reality and fantasy blur. Someone has opened the world's first terrorism-themed hotel. How far is too far, for the sake of entertainment?
+Judge Dredd #29 by Duane Swierczynski and Nelson Daniel (Apr 22). After a harrowing experience, Judge Dredd is back in uniform and ready to hit the streets of Mega City One, dispensing justice like no other street judge. There's just one small problem: Dredd's boss, Chief Justice Cal.
+Uncle Scrooge #1 by Jonathan Gray, Rodolfo Cimino and Romano Scarpa (Apr 22). Disney comics are back, and surprisingly not at Marvel! The world's richest duck returns, looking to add to his already considerable fortune. That fortune may be shrinking, however, if the Beagle Boys and their giant mecha have anything to say about it.
+Godzilla: Rulers of Earth #23 by Chris Mowry and Matt Frank (Apr 29). Three issues to go! The trilopods are swarming over the remains of the ruined Earth, and even the King of Monsters may not be able to stop them. Godzilla won't have to face them alone, however, as King Caesar awakens from his mountain slumber to join the battle!
+The Infinite Loop #1 by Pierrick Colinet and Elsa Charretier (Apr 29). The crowdfunding success, now in print at IDW! In the distant future, Teddy is tasked with upholding the laws of time by correcting time paradoxes. When the girl of her dreams happenes to be one of those paradoxes, however, will Teddy choose love over duty and risk unraveling existence?

4T1fu.png

PzRVFe5.jpg

MosDXGK.jpg

+Jungle Girl Season 3 #1 by Frank Cho, Doug Murray and Jack Jadson (Dynamite, Apr 8). Frank Cho's revealing take on the "dinosaurs and babes" genre returns for another round! In the previous installment, Jana defeated an eldritch horror from beyond; now, a portal to another dimension threatens to consume her prehistoric home!
+Kaijumax #1 by Zander Cannon (Oni, Apr 8). The world has locked away its rampaging giant monsters, on a remote island where the only harm they can do is to each other. Torn away from his children and dumped into this hostile world, Electrogor must quickly learn and adapt to the rules of the big house, or become some tougher monster's prison b*tch!
+Bloodshot Reborn #1 by Jeff Lemire and Mico Suayan (Valiant, Apr 15). Transformed by the experiments of Project Rising Spirit, Bloodshot became an unstoppable engine of death and destruction. Now though, he lives a life of quiet exile, reflecting on the horrors of his past and dreading the day it catches up to him once more...
+UFOlogy #1 by James Tynion IV, Noah Yuenkel and Matthew Fox (Boom!, Apr 1). In the tiny town of Mukawgee, high schooler Becky Finch leads an unremarkable life that suits her just fine. When a being from beyond the stars leaves its mark upon her, however, Becky will need the help of her eccentric classmate Malcolm to uncover the truth of her alien destiny.
+The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #2 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Robert Hack (Archie, Apr 22). Remember this comic, and how excited everyone was when it was announced on the heels of the spectacular Afterlife with Archie? Yeah... in this issue, the secrets of the horrific Madam Satan are revealed! What's is her connection to Sabrina's father, and what are her designs on everyone's favorite teenage witch?
+Scarlett Couture #1 by Des Taylor (Titan, Apr 29). By day, Scarlett works as the head of security for her mother's fashion house. By night, she infitrates nefarious organizations, as the CIA's most talented operative. Stunning and intelligent, deadly and delightful, fashionable and fatal. Danger never looked so good.

5lcMDk2.png
uqwNqxS.png

UDCohBm.jpg

(NOTICE: Due to an apparent lack of interest this year (February saw a total of four votes submitted; January, just seven), I have decided to indefinitely suspend this segment until further notice. Those of you who participated each and every month, whether your favorite books made the medal podium or not, you have my gratitude. --Spike)

1ST PLACE WINNER:
Howard the Duck #1; written by Chip Zdarsky; pencils by Joe Quinones; colors by Rico Renzi; published by Marvel Comics (10pts)

2ND PLACE FINISHER:
Jem and the Holograms #1; written by Kelly Thompson and Sophie Campbell; pencils by Sophie Campbell; colors by M. Victoria Robado; published by IDW Publishing (8pts)

3RD PLACE FINISHER:
*TIE* Silk #2; written by Robbie Thompson; pencils by Stacey Lee; colors by Ian Herring; published by Marvel Comics (5pts)
*TIE* Superman #39; written by Geoff Johns; pencils by John Romita Jr.; colors by Hi-Fi; published by DC Comics (5pts)
*TIE* The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #3; written by Ryan North; pencils by Erica Henderson; colors by Rico Renzi; published by Marvel Comics (5pts)

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

[spoiler]Or not.[/spoiler]

Yo COMICGAF, i only check this thread once in a while but i was wondering if anyone knew of a good mini series Comic these days? Kinda like Six Gun Gorilla, a couple issues and BAM! done! I don't have time for ongoing much these days so this would be welcome?

Squire

Banned
I like comics. They're pretty cool.

Also, I'm about to spend like $150 on X-Men this month. What am I doing

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is civil war when Thor grabs Ironman by the throat and calls him little man? I remember that page being all over the internet

Wait, Resurrectionists went digital exclusive? When? Because that explains a lot.

I feel like I just don't pay attention some times.

Yo COMICGAF, i only check this thread once in a while but i was wondering if anyone knew of a good mini series Comic these days? Kinda like Six Gun Gorilla, a couple issues and BAM! done! I don't have time for ongoing much these days so this would be welcome?

read The Auteur

I really liked Translucid and Starlight.

Sandfox

Did Inhuman get cancelled and replaced with Uncanny or are they both gonna be ongoing?

The current Inhumans series is ending when Secret Wars starts and all we know is that Uncanny will be starting up afterwards under the same writer.

Guys my body is ready to Converge with the rest of you.

Also, played Poison Ivy in Infinite Crisis today. Don't normally do support but still managed to go 3-1. Last match was especially epic and came down to an explosive turnabout team fight where we wiped them with 2 survivors on our side and then those two sacrificing themselves to push the enemy base for the victory.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Convergence and secret wars are incredibly similar. Its a shame this is all a coincedence and will lead to nothing.

Squire

Banned
Read Young Avengers Vol. 3 in a single sitting.

This whole series started out solid and ended up being phenomenal. The epilogue so perfectly wraps everything up. What a touching story.

Edit: Is Loki: Agent of Asgard good? I LOVED Loki in this.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I've decided to read comics this month, got the Lazarrus first three trades. Did I make a good choice?

Also I've been reading American Vampire and I'm not digging it much. How do I break it to my GF who loves the series without hurting her feels?

Zombine

Banned
*****SPECIAL "HEY, WE'VE GOT A NEW AVENGERS MOVIE COMING OUT!" EXPANDED EDITION*****

1404084147372.gif

Also I've been reading American Vampire and I'm not digging it much. How do I break it to my GF who loves the series without hurting her feels?

You say, "Hey, I'm not a big fan of American Vampire, but at least the art is awesome. I can see why you love it but I think I enjoy books like ______ more."

I've decided to read comics this month, got the Lazarrus first three trades. Did I make a good choice?

Yeah, American Vampire didn't quite click with me either. I love Snyder but I'm not a fan of the setting/subject in general.

If you defeated Ultron why would you send him into space? Why wouldn't you just destroy him? People really gotta learn sending shit into space doesn't solve your problems.

Messi

Read Young Avengers Vol. 3 in a single sitting.

This whole series started out solid and ended up being phenomenal. The epilogue so perfectly wraps everything up. What a touching story.

Edit: Is Loki: Agent of Asgard good? I LOVED Loki in this.

Lokis series is fantastic so far

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
More Chip Zdarsky comics? Fucks yeah. Dude can do fowl comedy, now let's see how his sci-fi joint is.

Starman Omnibus 3: Shade #1-#4 - This mini-series was brilliant. Just these 4 issues might explain why this volume is hard to find. It starts off right after Shade gains his powers and follows his multi-generational feud with the Ludlow family. I have no idea how Robinson writes so much melodrama without it sounding corny.

Paper was pretty thin though, got bumpy towards the end. Fucking Marvel print comics. .

Fixed that for you. There have been a few Marvel omnibuses that I really wanted to buy (e.g., Busiek's Avengers) but I can't justify the price. I'll just read them on MU.

Top Bottom