• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - New screenshots

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Rather than have these buried in other threads.

27/04
11000214_1594639240779616_6483838142300314972_o.jpg

11194433_1594639247446282_7122569674426632718_o.jpg

11154737_1594639270779613_3303632680152548391_o.jpg

25/04

Hypron

Great looking pictures.

I shouldn't have read those quest goals though. One of them sounds like a pretty big spoiler.

Looks great, and in particular I think the vegetation seems sharper now [in the first image] ? Sharpen filter or ultra settings?
Or maybe it's just depending of the location, time of day, etc.

I was reading the Gamestar preview, which is very positive. It also said that quests marks and place of interest marks can be toggled on and off in options.
And those question marks in the map? They are locations that Geralt heard or read about it but he still hadn't visited, so they aren't all the PoI in the game.

edit: another good tidbit: you won't regenerate health in hard or dark dificulty.

Great looking pictures.

I shouldn't have read those quest goals though. One of them sounds like a pretty big spoiler.

Some journalists talked about it already, it involves the
Skellige succession crisis.
It is one of the major side quests I think.

UnrealEck

Looks good, nothing spectacular though by any stretch. These would honestly pass for console screenshots. Maybe they are and they're keeping tight-lipped. Or maybe it's just high settings.

Durante

Looks great, and in particular I think the vegetation seems sharper now [in the first image] ? Sharpen filter or ultra settings?
Or maybe it's just depending of the location, time of day, etc.
There's no sharpening filter in these shots.

Foliage has been improved in the shots and clips we've seen recently (past few weeks) over what we saw since the initial reveal (the "donwgrade" phase). I think we're now seeing higher settings.

Durante

You don't think those shots look blurry or low quality? They definitely don't look downsampled.
You are off your rocker sir.

I mean, just look at any of the high-frequency sub-pixel detail in any of these shots!

Edit: I still feel like I'm being made fun of. A single glance at something like the fine-grained PBR highlights on any metal surface in these shots shows the amazing IQ (and most likely the amount of resources thrown at it).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, this all looks amazing. No other way for me to put it really.

Didn't read any of the quest names other than the first one, although I don't think it'll be any problem looking at them.

I guess I better hop to it with actually playing a Witcher game, in my case, either opening my sealed Witcher 2 X360 version, or playing the free digital 360 version I have. I have The Witcher 2 for free through GOG.com as well too, but I doubt my laptop can run it the way I'd like even though it's a Win8 laptop.

So hyped for May 19th! I've got to ask though, that last picture...isn't that of a completely new area we haven't been shown before? I don't recognise it from any of the media released so far. Almost like a desert.

Slixshot

Banned
:O Looks great! I know nothing about The Witcher Series... but this is making me want to give the game a try next month.

Makareu

The first one seems a bit rough quality wise.
The last one is 100% downsampled, just look at the sword's hilt.

That being said I dont really want to see anything more, I just need to play it now.

Durante

Nah, the quality of the images is pretty bad.
I don't know how much you know about image quality, but I'm an expert, and I tell you that IQ in these shots is fantastic.

(unless you are purely talking about the jpg compression, which is rather ugly on these. But the base rendering IQ is great)

Dr Dogg

Edit: I still feel like I'm being made fun of. A single glance at something like the fine-grained PBR highlights on any metal surface in these shots shows the amazing IQ (and most likely the amount of resources thrown at it).

I'm on my phone at the mo so having a hard time finding it but I think the January gameplay vid really highlights that. When you see the hilt and handle of Geralt's swords as he's chatting to someone you can see the metal sections aren't using something like a specular map but actually reflecting the geometry behind him and certainly not a low res cube map you often find in open world games.

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know how much you know about image quality, but I'm an expert, and I tell you that IQ in these shots is fantastic.

(unless you are purely talking about the jpg compression, which is rather ugly on these. But the base rendering IQ is great)

He is talking about .jpg compression artifacts. There are versions of some of these screens that are far cleaner.

TokiDoki

Agreed , even if I intentionally zoom in a notch or two with my browser , it still looks fairly sharp . I don't get the blurry complain , is it being viewed on a low res laptop screen or mobile .

Gotta love how the text in the first pic says " hits Cyclops for 132.99 " and the on screen displayed damage is 133 lol.

Sure they will have that resolved to where the text rounds up like the damage display does.

Better looking pics then in the past.

SJRB

Gold Member
I assume Geralt is fighting here in this pic? Looks more like he's told a terribly shitty joke only he found funny

He's even got that knee-slapping pose

Geralt's like "That's not what your mom said last night"

Soldier's like:

Npgv500.gif

lol

These shots look great, although I hope that higher settings or .ini tweaks enable shadow casting grass. Seeing all these great high quality cascades is jarring in comparison to the grass tufts which do not cast shadows.

Top Bottom