• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - New screenshots

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Combination of Ultra and High"

I still don't like the lack of clarity and mystery ultra settings rhetoric.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

At this point I can only assume CDPR wants to avoid the "But the earlier footage looked better than the Ultra we have now!" storm in a teacup for as long as possible... which raises the question of when CDPR will feel comfortable unveiling a playable (as in "fit for recording" as opposed to "fit for public consumption") build of 2077.

Dr Dogg

I'm sure coding to the molecule is a thing trumped up at some point.

At this point I can only assume CDPR wants to avoid the "But the earlier footage looked better than the Ultra we have now!" storm in a teacup for as long as possible... which raises the question of when CDPR will feel comfortable unveiling a playable (as in "fit for recording" as opposed to "fit for public consumption") build of 2077.

Probably in 2077.

Tovarisc

I read in another Witcher 3 thread, on GAF, that they put Cyberpunk 2077 into ice some time ago as they had to put all bodies into finishing Witcher 3. I wouldn't expect screenshots or videos from 2077 for few years.

UGH I want it bad enough already CDPR lol, quit making me want it more. The crab/spider things shot really does showcase there is variety of environments in the game.

Why would they want to hide the best graphics for this game? It doesn't make any sense.

I can see 2 possibilities.

1. They want to show settings that are closer to what the console versions will look like so that console players aren't disappointed when they FINALLY show those versions.....

2. They want to keep stringing people along thinking that ultra will look so much better than this "mix of ultra and high."

I just can't imagine that ultra will look all that much better than this. Then again... I think my expectations are lower than most.

Jedi2016

Somebody pixel-count those first three screens, then. If those really are XBO screens, then us console plebes don't have anything to worry about, it looks great.

Somebody pixel-count those first three screens, then. If those really are XBO screens, then us console plebes don't have anything to worry about, it looks great.
Can't see any obvious aliasing I could use to pixel-count. If there were any, they are hidden by compression artifacts. So my money is on downsampling.
Game play videos beside that E3 one were recorded in 1080p with post-AA only, which I used to debunk various "Xbox one footage" claims.
hcount3nuhb.png

HeelPower

1) The game runs at single-digit FPS on XB1.

What if that's actually true ?

Don't some Gaffers on the screenshot thread sometimes use unplayable settings just for the sake of screenshots ?

What if CDPR can do that on their XB1 Dev Kits? Wouldn't be lying ,right ? ;) Technically,It would be captured on an XB1 ;p

Genio88

Awesome, can't wait to play it, just hope my r9 290 OC won't disappoint me, i need ultra setting at at least 30 steady fps

erawsd

I read in another Witcher 3 thread, on GAF, that they put Cyberpunk 2077 into ice some time ago as they had to put all bodies into finishing Witcher 3. I wouldn't expect screenshots or videos from 2077 for few years.

I doubt it'll be years. I expect they'll start to reveal more next year and itll release in 2017.

Jigolo

They probably don't want the downgrade publicity? The visuals come close but aren't at the level of what was originally shown from the game, what they claimed to be "in-game". I mean really, until we see this exact sequence on someone's PC there is no doubt about that CDPR was over-promising on visuals (I think the game still looks great).

UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

Even with everything set to Ultra, I don't think anyone will be able to replicate this. It was likely all smoke and mirrors. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jigolo

Until we see that exact place at that exact time of day in the final game, people really need to stop posting that fucking gif over and over and over and over again. I know what it looks like, I don't need the constant reminder.

Yup, exactly what I'm waiting for. Lets see what the mysterious Ultra settings bring to the fucking table.

The screenshots look pretty good, but it's a bit of a let down that The Witcher 3 isn't using any global illumination, especially when games like Ryse, The Order 1886 and FFXV are using global illumination on weaker console hardware.

ThisOne

I'm very anxious to see what it will look like on PS4. The fact that they haven't shown anything yet on console (at least to my knowledge) is a little bit troubling.

Well these aren't maxed out screen shots. They look good, but murky. Want some l'oreal and non console-like resolutions for my screenshots.

I guess they just don't want the majority of consumers to feel like they've been had when they finally pick this up on PS4 or XB1.

Can't wait for the salon goodness.

W3sod.gif
I remember when the game looked like that.

Gold and stlll no console SS/footage. The detail in the armor is nice though especially in that last 2 shot.

Yeah, that's pretty pathetic; even Rocksteady have shown off console (PS4) footage.

Considering that the console versions will amount to most of their sales, it'd just be nice to have a modicum of transparency.

My hope at the moment is that this is a conscious decision to only show footage that will be achievable by a majority of the players and not that the Ultra settings are buggy/incomplete.

Otherwise the actual game is going to be drowned out in a furore of "downgrade" shouts.

Despite that being the case, I think this time around, TW3 will sell a pretty decent amount on consoles. And they really should show off the console versions.

Decent, sure. Most, no.

As for the footage, they already showed Xbox one footage at E3 last year, which ran and looked nicely, and they are currently putting together a new one.

tuxfool

Banned
The screenshots look pretty good, but it's a bit of a let down that The Witcher 3 isn't using any global illumination, especially when games like Ryse, The Order 1886 and FFXV are using global illumination on weaker console hardware.

2 of those aren't open world games and the 3rd currently runs quite badly. There is AC:U which is open world but does not have dynamic time of day.

Decent, sure. Most, no.

As for the footage, they already showed Xbox one footage at E3 last year, which ran and looked nicely, and they are currently putting together a new one.

Yea, I don't think it'll be the most on consoles either. The game's pretty unestablished on consoles.

Their main audience base is PC.

I think it's safe to say that simultaneous PC and console AAA releases sell more on console.

By Steams hardware census, the majority of Steam users are running dual-core CPU's and integrated GPU's. For all of CD Projekt's "pro consumer" bullshit and rhetoric, not showing any console footage is pretty underhanded, especially when all of the PC footage is showing controller prompts.

The only reason I care so much about it is, the majority of opinions formulated and discussion surrounding it will be based on it's most popular platform/s...and where it was played. MKX players on console Vs. PC are having radically different discussions, albeit that one isn't due to graphics.

Despite primarily being a PC gamer for the past few years, I'm still genuinely excited about what devs can pull off on consoles, and I do buy the occasional AAA game on them.

Some people have a hard time getting that.

They don't need to release console footage, they're mainly a pc dev. There's no other game like this on consoles so I doubt the lack of console footage will hurt them too.

If your buying the game on consoles, I doubt you care whether or not CDPr gets hurt so much as making sure the game is running fine and looks good.

All they've seen is one vertical slice from one console a year ago.

I think it's safe to say that simultaneous PC and console AAA releases sell more on console.

By Steams hardware census, the majority of Steam users are running dual-core CPU's and integrated GPU's. For all of CD Projekt's "pro consumer" bullshit and rhetoric, not showing any console footage is pretty underhanded, especially when all of the PC footage is showing controller prompts.

The only reason I care so much about it is, the majority of opinions formulated and discussion surrounding it will be based on it's most popular platform/s...and where it was played. MKX players on console Vs. PC are having radically different discussions, albeit that one isn't due to graphics.

Despite primarily being a PC gamer for the past few years, I'm still genuinely excited about what devs can pull off on consoles, and I do buy the occasional AAA game on them.

It's noble of you to be worried about their reputation, but I think they'll do fine. Given the genre, same one where Skyrim did fine for Bethesda despite issues.

It's noble of you to be worried about their reputation, but I think they'll do fine. Given the genre, same one where Skyrim did fine for Bethesda despite issues.

What made you think I "cared" about their reputation on their behalf? I'm not even sure how you misconstrued that.

No need to be condescending. If anything, I should feel sorry for your reading comprehension.

My point was that CD Projekt position themselves as different from other AAA developers/publishers, but are guilty of the same underhanded marketing that's become the norm.

tuxfool

Banned
For a moment you had me doubting my memory and had to check Nvidia video <.<

Well I think Nvidia may have wanted some assurances about use of PhysX and HairWorks before pushing such video to their channel, so there is big chance that at least bear still looks like that.

Let me know if AC:U has tesselation...

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Some people have a hard time getting that.

They don't need to release console footage, they're mainly a pc dev. There's no other game like this on consoles so I doubt the lack of console footage will hurt them too.
So their potential customers on consoles don't have the right to see what they're getting beforehand? Don't get me wrong, I trust CDPR to deliver a fantastic product on consoles, but that line in particular is a bit ridiculous.

Top Bottom