• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed DLC actually persuaded my co-workers to buy the other system.hy?

ViciousDS

Banned
Apparently timed DLC is actually pretty big. I was explaining to a few of my co-workers today that every major shooter outside of exclusives (halo) is marketed for the PS4. Including DLC coming to PS4 first for Black Ops 3.

They thought I was joking, I told them no......its swung the other way now and DLC come outs first exclusively on PS4 for 30 days. All 3 are now going out to buy PS4's just because of call of duty. I didn't think that console timed DLC was that big of a deal....but holy shit. If everyone making a jump this winter moves onto the next console and are big into call of duty, I could see them jumping to a competitors brand alone just because of 30 days now.

Anyone else have people they know, that are that serious into a certain game and will actually buy another console just so they can play DLC a month before another brand? I gamed on PS3 last gen for all of call of duty and never really found 30 days to be that distracting. But now I truly see why Sony jumped for that deal now.....seems to actually be quite a big deal.

It's not like this is a Destiny ordeal.....I think that DLC is timed for roughly a whole year, but a measly 30 days.

Atolm

Of course it's a big deal. Maybe not on GAF where the community is much more vocal about those practices, but they exist for a reason.

Sony and MS wouldn't spend a cent on it if it didn't pay off somehow.

Shauni

.hy?

It's not a huge deal to me, personally, because I don't buy the maps anyway for COD (the prices are ridiculous) and wouldn't be getting Battlefront.

Kane1345

Yeah personally not a big deal for me but I can see it being a big deal for a lot of people. I have a few Xbox friends that were really pissed off about it. One was considering getting a PS4.

I hate this practice as it alienates certain gamers. Maybe I'm in the opposite but just hearing the exclusive bit makes me not want to buy it on that system. I guess I'll get it on Xbox One and wait the 30 days. With how much that is coming out around that time I'll have a bunch of other things to tide me over.

ViciousDS

Banned
.hy?

It's not a huge deal to me, personally, because I don't buy the maps anyway for COD (the prices are ridiculous) and wouldn't be getting Battlefront.

it was supposed to be a Why?, but I somehow accidentally tabbed into submit thread while editing it lol.

Yeah, it's almost like Call of Duty is still a big brand, despite what the cynical internet thinks.

I hate this practice as it alienates certain gamers. Maybe I'm in the opposite but just hearing the exclusive bit makes me not want to buy it on that system. I guess I'll get it on Xbox One and wait the 30 days. With how much that is coming out around that time I'll have a bunch of other things to tide me over.
I don't understand why you would, intentionally, put yourself out if you own both consoles....

BigDug13

When DLC was timed exclusive to Xbox all this time before, you were buying CoD on Playstation because you hate this practice?

BokehKing

Banned
I said it before and I'll say it again, when people say "it's just 30 days who cares"
When was the last time you were hardcore into COD, only game you play and had to wait 30 days while the other side has it?

If you were a xbox owner, not once in the last 10 years, so you have not experienced how much it sucks so you can't say 'it's just 30 days'

I think people forget that COD is huge, and Treyarch makes the best COD's

ps (part of me thinks this story is duck tales just make a thread about COD going to ps4 and how quickly people are jumping ship)

ViciousDS

Banned

HM? Why would you not buy it on the superior system if you already own it. The company who makes the game gets the money either way. Kind of pointless to punish yourself.

I said it before and I'll say it again, when people say "it's just 30 days who cares"
When was the last time you were hardcore into COD, only game you play and had to wait 30 days while the other side has it?

If you were a xbox owner, not once in the last 10 years, so you have not experienced how much it sucks so you can't say 'it's just 30 days'

I think people forget that COD is huge, and Treyarch makes the best COD's

ps (part of me thinks this story is duck tales just make a thread about COD going to ps4 and how quickly people are jumping ship)

I wouldn't say jumping ship, they are keeping the xbox still.....I mean we all want Quantum Break, Crackdown, and Gears......its just how quickly people will add another system to there library over a multiplatform game. But its more a less a huge foresight on the fact that if one game is going to get people to move into this Gen, its going to be the most loved CoD series and thats Black Ops.

Considering how many times I've heard "I only play CoD and Fifa" at work, it wouldn't surprise me. If someone only has an interest in one franchise why would they stick with a console that technically is giving them an inferior experience of said game, even if it's just a tiny wait? Same reason you hear so many people say "I'll wait for a PC version", you want your favourite games to be experienced in the best way they can.

Full disclaimer, I'm not condoning the practice.

Boke1879

Call me crazy but I really felt like Sony getting CoD on their stage and getting the DLC for one moth is enough to help swing the pendulum this holiday season.

The COD market it huge and they take those map packs seriously. COD content creators alone will play on PS4 in order to showcase the maps to their audience.

Why do you think companies are aggressively pursuing these deals and make a big deal out of them at their press conferences?

Because it works.

Sad, but unfortunate truth.

BokehKing

Banned
I wouldn't say jumping ship, they are keeping the xbox still.....I mean we all want Quantum Break, Crackdown, and Gears......its just how quickly people will add another system to there library over a multiplatform game.
Well last gen ps3 was a richmans luxury and 360 was dirt cheap, so a majority of my friends had 360, where I had ps3... I bought a 360 as well and since COD4, I buy a Sony and microsoft copy of COD every year.

I think the whole 'gaf bubble' is real and people need to remember that there is a lot of gamers who only play COD, they own a system to play COD and maybe one other game. Why move onto a next gen system when the only game you play keeps being put out for your system.

(xbox messed up by putting their system seller, Titanfall on Xbox 360, all of my friends just waited.... That's another game I had to buy on two platforms)

Xater

I have never heard about anyone ding that, but most people I know that play are way more into video games.

Like others have said, it must be a big deal for some people otherwise they wouldn't make these deals.

ViciousDS

Banned
Well last gen ps3 was a richmans luxury and 360 was dirt cheap, so a majority of my friends had 360, where I had ps3... I bought a 360 as well and since COD4, I buy a Sony and microsoft copy of COD every year.

Sounds like me......except I did it at a time when the PC version bombed. MW2......bought it for all 3 platforms......I regret ever buying that game on PC.

I believe this is why:

The culture that surrounds a launch is really exciting. People look forward to specific games with their friends and get hyped for its release many weeks before the content actually hits. When a game finally comes out, it becomes water cooler conversation. People asking if you got this game, how far did they get, did they get to this part or that part yet, isn't this new game awesome, etc. People like to be part of this. People look forward to this.

So being excluded from this, even for a month, is really undesirable. Most gamers (from what I've seen, anyway) only buy and play one game at a time. They look forward to a specific release and then play that game until the next specific release, occasionally filling gaps with recommendations of older games from friends.

But people like sharing games and talking about the games they're playing a lot. And having to wait thirty days means missing out on that conversation. It means missing out on that water cooler. And then when you are finally playing the game, even only thirty days later, all your friends have moved on.

People don't want to be left behind by their friends. So they purchase consoles and content based on the majority rule of their environment. And being an outlier, or a perceived outlier, hampers their communal experience.

i think the biggest deal will be youtubers (and the competitive scene) switching to PS4, i mean they have to show the new maps as early as they can and they play with fans etc.. that makes quite a difference to the young kids.

Apathy

Yeah, it's almost like Call of Duty is still a big brand, despite what the cynical internet thinks.

Exactly, it's the same reason why EA spent so much time talking about sports and mobile. We're a non representative microcosm of the larger gaming whole on gaf but people here quickly forget that.

Kayant

Don't people that would do the same but talking about these deals there is a reason these companies do them. These deals are aimed at the people that do zero research/don't actively seek out game information online. What they see advertised is all the info they will even get add to the fact they don't play that many games outside the typical sports/shooter stuff you could see how it can influence some people.

Radec

MS and Sony are doing these because it works.

If MLG goes PS4 as well, the pros and those planing to become one will eventually switch to PS4 too.

Boke1879

i think the biggest deal will be youtubers (and the competitive scene) switching to PS4, i mean they have to show the new maps as early as they can and they play with fans etc.. that makes quite a difference to the young kids.

Exactly. And these youtubers have massive followings.

Servbot24

Banned
To many people they're identical consoles both built for CoD and FIFA. Why not get the one that gets content earlier if that's the main point of owning it?

BokehKing

Banned
Your coworkers are idiots.
There is no reason for that, his co-workers want the maps first, they are going where the maps will be first. Bungie fans, true bungie fans, that don't see console but see their favorite developers, went to Sony, because bungie basically said that was the preferred platform. It worked.

There will be back lash, not the 'I'll just play halo instead' type because a lot of COD players (normies as they were called earlier) hate halo. If I had a dollar for every time I heard "go back to halo" said as an insult while playing COD I could buy us all houses.

No, people will follow the dlc.

Have youtubers made any videos about this yet.

I would never buy a new console just to play DLC a few weeks earlier.
I see it influencing decisions when people have to decide between buying Ps4 or XB1, though.

Skux

In this world of on-demand everything, being first is paramount. Imagine your favourite movie director releases a film exclusively to a certain cinema chain for the first seven days. You're a huge fan and so are your friends. There's no way you aren't going to that particular cinema to watch the movie first. All the fans do too and suddenly that cinema is millions of dollars better off compared to their competitors.

Gaf laughs at timed DLC like i's a joke.

Sony and MS wouldn't do this shit if it didn't work

Sure many casuals will get a PS4 for COD DLC that stuff is massive to them.

MS and Sony are doing these because it works.

If MLG goes PS4 as well, the pros and those planing to become one will eventually switch to PS4 too.

Most pro's have already switched to PS4. Activision have the final say on what console their game is played on, they won't allow MLG to use XB1s. If they don't like that then I can seeing MLG having no CoD at all.

It's a huge deal, and I don't understand why so many podcasters/members of the media seem to be downplaying it. I personally couldn't care less about COD DLC, but its long been known to be a big driver of sales and interest.

BokehKing

Banned
Was it only 30 days on the Xbox as well? Has this long lasting "big" exclusive thing really always been about ONE month?
Yes, and it's a big deal when it's constantly thrown in your face that the season pass you purchased.... Those maps are available, but you can't play them yet, but watch everyone over there play them. Oh that looks cool right? That new zombie map looks sick.

Two spikes...
The initial news will push systems and after the first dlc drops, it will push more.

Before people say "well don't buy the season pass" if that's the only game you play, it doesn't matter. You're buying the maps regardless, might as well get them in the cheap.

ViciousDS

Banned
Was it only 30 days on the Xbox as well? Has this long lasting "big" exclusive thing really always been about ONE month?

yes, it is 30 days lol....same deal as the xbox 360 timed one.

If my favorite game was Star Wars Batlefront and it had timed DLC on the Xbox One (in theory) I probably would look at the Xbox One version as my first option than it being the second.

Apparently timed DLC is actually pretty big. I was explaining to a few of my co-workers today that every major shooter outside of exclusives (halo) is marketed for the PS4. Including DLC coming to PS4 first for Black Ops 3.

They thought I was joking, I told them no......its swung the other way now and DLC come outs first exclusively on PS4 for 30 days. All 3 are now going out to buy PS4's just because of call of duty. I didn't think that console timed DLC was that big of a deal....but holy shit. If everyone making a jump this winter moves onto the next console and are big into call of duty, I could see them jumping to a competitors brand alone just because of 30 days now.

Anyone else have people they know, that are that serious into a certain game and will actually buy another console just so they can play DLC a month before another brand? I gamed on PS3 last gen for all of call of duty and never really found 30 days to be that distracting. But now I truly see why Sony jumped for that deal now.....seems to actually be quite a big deal.

It's not like this is a Destiny ordeal.....I think that DLC is timed for roughly a whole year, but a measly 30 days.
Yes, I have two co-workers (not friends) who only.... ONLY play COD. Nothing else. They play it the whole year until the next COD. They heard about the PS4/Activision deal and each of them ordered a PS4 on Amazon two days ago.

Why is it a surprise it works? If it didn't work so well last gen, do you think either company would do it now? Sure CoDs sales have been shrinking and rumor is Sony got the deal on the cheap, but still. Exclusivity for important titles is a huge draw: it was last gen and it is this gen. Not surprised at all.

nampad

Most casuals only play the same old games so of course it is a big deal for them.

If you spent most of your time with CoD, wouldn't you want the best CoD experience?

BokehKing

Banned
Plus this will be a bundle, as will starwars, maybe Sony will... Have a moment..

lightbulb-went-off-when-you-first-saw-Kelso.gif

And realize they can put out a holiday bundle that includes call of duty and Battlefront

What happens then. The exclusive dlc will always will always be the trump card to the casual fps fan. Not on GAF, but outside of here, it's huge

Top Bottom