• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed DLC actually persuaded my co-workers to buy the other system.hy?

timed DLC is so damn embarrassing.. how do you even explain it to someone who isn't into gaming? "well you see, Sony pays this other company so that they wouldn't put content on Microsoft's console, so that people using that console can't play the content at the same time, but have to wait."

embarrassing.

*Splinter

I said it before and I'll say it again, when people say "it's just 30 days who cares"
When was the last time you were hardcore into COD, only game you play and had to wait 30 days while the other side has it?

If you were a xbox owner, not once in the last 10 years, so you have not experienced how much it sucks so you can't say 'it's just 30 days'

I think people forget that COD is huge, and Treyarch makes the best COD's

ps (part of me thinks this story is duck tales just make a thread about COD going to ps4 and how quickly people are jumping ship)
Yeah, for someone playing nothing but COD the DLCs are really nicely timed... for Xbox (now PS). By the time the delayed DLC comes out things are pretty stale for the last couple of weeks, and when it releases we're already hearing about the NEXT dlc which gets kind of annoying for some reason.

For both Ghosts and Advanced Warfare I actually stopped playing in between the Xbox and PS release of first dlc, and never even downloaded the map packs. (It's not that I was particularly aware that the maps were available elsewhere, just coincidentally got bored of those games at that time.)

It's not a huge deal, but I'll be very glad to be getting the new maps slightly earlier than I usually do

Skittles

timed DLC is so damn embarrassing.. how do you even explain it to someone who isn't into gaming? "well you see, Sony pays this other company so that they wouldn't put content on Microsoft's console, so that people using that console can't play the content at the same time, but have to wait."

embarrassing.
Hm? You act like it's some abstract console exclusive to gaming. Any company that offers a service will gain benefits from having a product on their service before their competitors. Just look at the movie rental industry, same concept there (i think its redbox who advertise having a movie faster than netflix)

occelinho

OP, I wouldn't have believed your story before I learned about "#XboxOrWeRiot".
But yeah, it's totally believable to me now.

I really didn't know timed DLCs are that important for some people, I always thought these deals are just a waste of money.

ViciousDS

Banned

I really didn't know timed DLCs are that important for some people, I always thought these deals are just a waste of money.

wait, That hashtag is actually a thing? Holy shit!

I played CoD on PS3 after MW2 (because of friends) but was timed DLC as big of a deal then as it is now? I don't remember the insane uproar before.

BokehKing

Banned

Is that hash tag some sort of entitlement group? They should realize it didn't work when destiny happened.

I thought that hashtag was about keeping competitive play on Xbox. Maybe it's about DLC too. Either way, it's dumb.

Tenebrous

Timed/exclusive DLC has NEVER made me want a console more/less than any other, and it's terrible that people cheer for such nonsense on stage.

KaYotiX

Banned
I feel like the CoD players dry up around the first map pack release anyways.

The first month or 2 the game is always hot, by the time the new maps are out alot of the hype has died and the only people that buy the maps anyways are the Super die hard fans.

I used to buy the maps day one until I saw how less and less players are really playing them.

embarrassing.

OK now explain to someone who doesnt game the Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusivity. Also explain to that same person with the DLC that the CoD DLC spent a decade going to Microsoft first and this a role reversal. Or explain to me where you bought those rose tinted shades.

gruenel

It's a super shitty practice, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

wow
https://twitter.com/search?q=#XboxOrWeRiot&src=tyah

u6JVgPL.gif

ViciousDS

Banned
It's a super shitty practice, but they wouldn't do it if it didn't work.

wow
https://twitter.com/search?q=#XboxOrWeRiot&src=tyah

OMG...........I can't grasp my head around it.

Also wtf at all those replies about headsets and shit? UM, PS4 actually has the cheapest Headsets you can get and is probably the most user friendly when it comes to non proprietary hardware. FFS. For Xbox having such a competitive scene you would think they would at least allow me to plug in a standard USB headset to use.....nah, why do that when you can make money. Still messaging Phil with no response to get this as a feature.....it badly needs it.

But damn...........that entire wall gives me a headache, I see Drift0r trollin though hahaha. This makes me so sad for the future community of gaming seeing this shit though. Well at least I have my GAF to save me!

BokehKing

Banned
I feel like the CoD players dry up around the first map pack release anyways.

The first month or 2 the game is always hot, by the time the new maps are out alot of the hype has died and the only people that buy the maps anyways are the Super die hard fans.
And call of duty is pretty much a majority of die hard fans..

HyperOne

Banned
That....is honestly a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider how expensive and low quality most DLC from AAA franchises are these days, to switch systems and spend hundreds of dollars to get a piece of DLC a single month in advance...Wish I had that kind of cash to toss around for something so silly.

Radec

It's a shame that the kid who uploaded a vid in youtube about that #xboxorweriot is now removed. You guys will love it.

BokehKing

Banned
That....is honestly a bit ridiculous. Especially when you consider how expensive and low quality most DLC from AAA franchises are these days, to switch systems and spend hundreds of dollars to get a piece of DLC a single month in advance...Wish I had that kind of cash to toss around for something so silly.
They don't have to, there is still like a combined 100 million people who didn't make the switch to next gen yet

finley83

Banned
With an annualised franchise like COD I can see it making a difference, as serious fans are only going to be playing that instalment until the next one is released. If you're getting an extra month to play that content then I understand the attraction.

Haha, holy shit. I can't believe some people take 30 days of DLC exclusivity so seriously, but I guess Sony wouldn't have done it if people didn't.

Majority aren't complaining about the DLC, they want competitive to stay on xbox. I don't see why it would, it's like having the option to race in a ferrari or lambo and staying with the ferrari. PS4 is much better suited for competitive CoD. Only ones complaining are the "amateurs" who think they will be the next big thing.

Donos

a lot of german tweets there although Germany is now more sonyland than ever.Some sad stuff there on this tweets. consolewarz.

ViciousDS

Banned
Majority aren't complaining about the DLC, they want competitive to stay on xbox. I don't see why it would, it's like having the option to race in a ferrari or lambo and staying with the ferrari. PS4 is much better suited for competitive CoD. Only ones complaining are the "amateurs" who think they will be the next big thing.

yes, I reading the one long wall of text saying they were trying day in and day out to become huge. They couldn't afford to switch and its a huge blow to the amateurs. I couldn't stop laughing at it. I probably should have told them that their career is over if they can't go pro for a shooter by the age of 25, because thats your prime after 25.....APM drops every single year. It's why everyone pro for shooters are all mostly young. (after that you coach....)

I'm not surprised at all. I know some people that basically only play Call of Duty. I know people refer to that group as "casual" but they play a fucking lot of Call of Duty. They play the game more than I play everything else combined. Buying a second console because of this deal is exactly something they would do. They have the money and the game is easily their biggest source of entertainment.

yes, I reading the one long wall of text saying they were trying day in and day out to become huge. They couldn't afford to switch and its a huge blow to the amateurs. I couldn't stop laughing at it. I probably should have told them that their career is over if they can't go pro for a shooter by the age of 25, because thats your prime after 25.....APM drops every single year. It's why everyone pro for shooters are all mostly young. (after that you coach....)

There's even a petition signed by like 1000 people. I really don't think any organisation cares. It's not like there is no one interested in competitive on PS4.

B.O.O.M

well It wouldn't exist if it didn't work. To some these types of situations are a big deal and I can fully understand why.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it is a bit confusing how in previous years this timed DLC and comarketing is called out as important and ties the CoD brand to Xbox; yet this year Giant Bomb and others have said 'ah, doesn't really matter' now it gets announced for PS4.

The #XboxOrWeRiot thing is hilarious.

I've never cared about getting the DLC a month late on my PS3, but I wasn't a diehard competitive CoD guy either. Youtubers switching their main console to PS4 is going to be huge though.

ViciousDS

Banned
it is a bit confusing how in previous years this timed DLC and comarketing is called out as important and ties the CoD brand to Xbox; yet this year Giant Bomb and others have said 'ah, doesn't really matter' now it gets announced for PS4.

nothing impresses Giant Bummer this year......I was puking the entire time from what little I watched on the Sony conference.

This deal is huge.....massive to the general market that hasn't upgraded. Which according to my little brother is basically his entire list of friends. Because he owns GTA V on the PS4 but still almost exclusively plays the PS3 version because thats where all his friends play.

I think this Holiday is going to be the one when parents drop the money and buy their kids the current systems. This is the parent upgrade year, there will be a great deal of AAA games after this Holiday. This is probably the most loaded Holiday season we have had in awhile and its the first true loaded Holiday with the current gen systems with known IP's. Star Wars, Black Ops 3, Fallout, Need for Speed, Hitman, Batman now will be out for the kids, RockBand/Guitar Hero, Metal Gear Solid, Tony Hawk, Just Cause,

The ratings don't matter much to parents anymore ever since GTA V took off like a bat out of hell. So the audience for upgrade is huge come this Season

This holiday season is going to be hhuuuugggeeee.

Boke1879

It's a huge deal, and I don't understand why so many podcasters/members of the media seem to be downplaying it. I personally couldn't care less about COD DLC, but its long been known to be a big driver of sales and interest.

I love Gaf and I love this community but GAF is not a concensus of the mass market. I remember during th Sony conference. Sony was showing Destiny,And AC people were positing "boring", "move on" in the thread. Millions of people love those games and want to see them.

I've never cared about getting the DLC a month late on my PS3, but I wasn't a diehard competitive CoD guy either. Youtubers switching their main console to PS4 is going to be huge though.

If people are that die hard for CoD, sell their xboxs and save a bit of money for a PS4. Not that hard to make some money as a teenager, all my games and consoles were bought by me. As for spoilt 13 year olds? They aren't even old enough to be playing the game. A lot of MLG tournaments are 18+ now. GFinity and CoD Champs are too.

ViciousDS

Banned
If people are that die hard for CoD, sell their xboxs and save a bit of money for a PS4. Not that hard to make some money as a teenager, all my games and consoles were bought by me. As for spoilt 13 year olds? They aren't even old enough to be playing the game. A lot of MLG tournaments are 18+ now. GFinity and CoD Champs are too.

Getting a job at 15 was amazing....I bought so much shit lol. That's when I bought $10k worth of games a year lol. I remember getting over 100k power up rewards points in a year....I just bought everything!

10 years later and sadly....I can spend that much anymore :(

True all the ones wanting to go pro can't even do so until adulthood anyways.

Jonnax

Just googled that scuf thing and turns out it's some custom controller with paddles to mimic the face buttons.

Isn't that kinda cheating? I mean not on official tournaments but online multiplayer. I always thought console had a level playing field with same controllers. It just feels dishonest.

ViciousDS

Banned
Just googled that scuf thing and turns out it's some custom controller with paddles to mimic the face buttons.

Isn't that kinda cheating? I mean not on official tournaments but online multiplayer. I always thought console had a level playing field with same controllers. It just feels dishonest.

Only turbo/rapid fire controllers are cheating. Adding paddles to the back of your controller are not. They are even tournament legal along with joystick extensions.

Top Bottom