• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Timed DLC actually persuaded my co-workers to buy the other system.hy?

it worked before i dont see why it wont work now, one of my young cousins which was a ps3 user before bought the xb1 with his friends because of call of duty (he liked to do videos and what not)

a year or so later though they all switched back lol

The #XboxOrWeRiot thing is hilarious.

I've never cared about getting the DLC a month late on my PS3, but I wasn't a diehard competitive CoD guy either. Youtubers switching their main console to PS4 is going to be huge though.

I love how emotive and cloying that quote is. All I could think was 'sell your Xbox for a PS4 if it matters that much'. This is all about consumer electronics after all.

Genki

I'm sure I'm just part of a tiny minority, but stuff like this makes me less likely to buy a PS4 because I don't want to support such terrible practices.

aly

I'm sure I'm just part of a tiny minority, but stuff like this makes me less likely to buy a PS4 because I don't want to support such terrible practices.

So you did'nt have an Xbox when they were doing it?In fact, you might as well not buy either since both sides do this for different games

MilesTeg

Banned
CoD DLC is huge and probably the only DLC that could sway system purchase, along with maybe Destiny. Honestly if I were a big CoD fan and got Xbox One based on past DLC release history, I would be pissed about this news. Now I'm no longer getting maps on time and I'm playing a version that likely also doesn't perform as well (900p or whatever).

Corpekata

Banned
I get why they do it.

I don't get for instance, that weirdo Disney Infinity guy. Like, are audience members actually excited that not only is Boba Fett walled off by a console, he's walled off by an expensive limited edition? Hooray? Felt like he was pitching it to board members or investors.

Just googled that scuf thing and turns out it's some custom controller with paddles to mimic the face buttons.

Isn't that kinda cheating? I mean not on official tournaments but online multiplayer. I always thought console had a level playing field with same controllers. It just feels dishonest.

Well there always used to be a possibility of making a third-party controller, if I remember correctly 360 was the only platform where MS decided to completely block unlicensed ones?

Anyway, controller legality arguments are endless.

Genki

So you did'nt have an Xbox when they were doing it?In fact, you might as well not buy either since both sides do this for different games

No, I didn't. I mostly play on PC nowadays. But what I posted wasn't that I absolutely wouldn't buy one, just that it would be a factor that would negatively impact the likelihood of me buying one.

iBeleaf

Never understood why people say Call of Duty is dying. For some people it is the only game they play. Heck two of my friends specifically bought XBONE because of the CoD connection. Just look at the top game voters are voting for BC on XBONE, last time I checked they were all in the top 15.

MS was the first one to start this timed exclusive practice. And now with the PS4 sales compared to XBONE, publishers are going where the money is. Whether you like it or not, this is a huge score for Sony.

viveks86

Not surprising. This will cost MS dearly. Hardcore COD fans' loyalty is to COD, not the platform it's on. They will go wherever they get more COD sooner. This kind of exclusivity has always been anti-consumer but they do make a difference

Well all the big youtubers who don't have a PS4 are gonna do it, they need them clicks for when the new maps come out. So I would assume people who only played CoD are gonna buy a PS4 too. This deal was a good get for Sony, I have to admit.

Steel

Banned
They wouldn't spend money on this type of thing if it didn't make a difference. It's dumb that it does make a difference, but that's another thing.

aly

No, I didn't. I mostly play on PC nowadays. But what I posted wasn't that I absolutely wouldn't buy one, just that it would be a factor that would negatively impact the likelihood of me buying one.

That makes sense and I see where you are coming from. I just can't stand some of the hypocrisy from some. Like this is some new tactic that only one company does.

wipeout364

As someone who is probably a very mild COD fan; I play every few weeks for a few days then go back to battlefield. I actuallly find the thirty days a pretty long wait for map packs( I play on PS4). I can only imagine how crazy it would be if I was a real hardcore fan. This is a big deal for Sony; as someone else said after 30 days a map pack feels like old news.

Koobion

It's pretty funny that many of the people who are questioning whether or not this early DLC exclusivity is effective, also seem to be the ones who are most sour over Microsoft no longer having this. It's almost as if those people liked having the early DLC on Xbox - you know, as if it was an effective practice.

Interesting how things change. The fact that even some people in the core GAF "bubble" are clearly affected by this change speaks volumes about how meaningful it must be to the mainstream audience.

I personally know multiple "hardcore" gamers who are also adjusting their next gen purchasing plans around this. Kudos to Sony for nabbing this advantage.

Apparently timed DLC is actually pretty big. I was explaining to a few of my co-workers today that every major shooter outside of exclusives (halo) is marketed for the PS4. Including DLC coming to PS4 first for Black Ops 3.

They thought I was joking, I told them no......its swung the other way now and DLC come outs first exclusively on PS4 for 30 days. All 3 are now going out to buy PS4's just because of call of duty. I didn't think that console timed DLC was that big of a deal....but holy shit. If everyone making a jump this winter moves onto the next console and are big into call of duty, I could see them jumping to a competitors brand alone just because of 30 days now.

Anyone else have people they know, that are that serious into a certain game and will actually buy another console just so they can play DLC a month before another brand? I gamed on PS3 last gen for all of call of duty and never really found 30 days to be that distracting. But now I truly see why Sony jumped for that deal now.....seems to actually be quite a big deal.

It's not like this is a Destiny ordeal.....I think that DLC is timed for roughly a whole year, but a measly 30 days.

It's pretty big because 1 person made their decision based on that? Don't think it matters to most TBH>

The only thing that irks me about this is that zombie strats will already be known and we won't have that day one, do whatever we can and figure what we can to survive. The multiplayer can go to hell, as an xbone player Destiny, Gears and Halo cover my shooter needs. It's the zombies that makes this bothersome. But oh well, life goes on.

Gren

Well I guess these scenarios are exactly what Sony was hoping for when it made the deal w/ Activision.

We'll see how well it worked in coaxing over fans in the software NPDs.

jaypah

No, none of the Call Of Duty X1 people I know are buying a whole different console for 30 day map packs. They all know about the deal though so I can absolutely imagine people doing it. It was lucrative then and it still is. Of course it was lame then and it is now but at least it's not forever or a whole game.

SeanTSC

I would never buy a platform for an entire timed exclusive game, let alone just some timed exclusive DLC.

But it's not at all surprising. That crowd totally buys into that stuff. Sony's marketing deals are just as huge of a thing as any game announced this year if not more so - it's just not DLC, they're get their Ads plastered all over TV and Social Media. The AAA shooter crowd will go all in on Sony for CoD and BF deals and fans of other games and RPGs get titles like Persona 5, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Talos Principle, Dragon Quest Heroes, Tales of Zestiria, Until Dawn, Disgaea 5, Galak-Z, etc. And maybe even The Witness and Rime if we're lucky.

Apparently timed DLC is actually pretty big. I was explaining to a few of my co-workers today that every major shooter outside of exclusives (halo) is marketed for the PS4. Including DLC coming to PS4 first for Black Ops 3.

I doubt many people would buy a console just for a 30-day timed DLC for one game. But as you said, it's not just one game, it's a trend. So, as a long-term investment, a PS4 makes sense.

And it's not like those DLC are the only thing where the PS4 has an advantage. For your co-workers, the decision to switch was probably a mix of several reasons.

I've been myself thinking of getting an XBone for Fifa 16 Ultimate team legends, which are not part of the Ps4 version. I feel like a casual.I already pre-order the game for Ps4 aswell. So yeah exclusive dlc or timed dlc can be huge if you are really into a game.

*Splinter

CHuDqK-UYAAH5RG.jpg
Just beautiful

Some extra background:
1. Competitive cod has never used DLC maps, so isn't even affected by this timed exclusivity.
2. A SCUF controller (mentioned above) is widely (but not exclusively) used in competitive CoD and costs around $150

Incredible levels of entitlement in that quote

Oh and 3. PS3 has always had a competitive players too, it's just that the major competitions where on Xbox

ViciousDS

Banned
I doubt many people would buy a console just for a 30-day timed DLC for one game. But as you said, it's not just one game, it's a trend. So, as a long-term investment, a PS4 makes sense.

And it's not like those DLC are the only thing where the PS4 has an advantage. For your co-workers, the decision to switch was probably a mix of several reasons.

CoD was the biggest factor for 1. My cousins boss at a plastic factory who plays CoD with us bought a PS4 for one game and now owns a total of 3 because of how bad CoD was. He owns Ghosts, BF4, and CoD:AW. He's not the only person I know that plays CoD exclusively year round. There were a lot of people on PS3 that I played CoD with and that was the only game they bought every year.....that's it.

It still amazes me how people will drop $400 just to play one game.....that's even multiplatform.

Top Bottom