• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic Duels |OT| Magic The Hearthstonening [Update Support Ending]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
20150630045806a0e4wat8cuyi.jpg

Have you ever wanted to play Magic The Gathering, but with an exact clone of the business model found in Hearthstone? Boy, have I got a game for you!

Where to get the game:

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magic-duels/id881106329?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/316010/
Xbox One: https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-O...b-07ce-44e3-a097-ca2bf6f01ecc?cid=majornelson
PS4: Forthcoming in a few months

FAQ:

Question 1: What platforms is this for?

PC, iOS, Xbox One, and in August, PS4.

Question 2: Can I share cards across platforms?

You cannot share cards across platforms, and also can't play people on other platforms.

Question 3: What's the business model of this game?

The game is free 2 play. You can make any decks you like, but beyond the starter cards, you have to earn them with in-game gold or buy them with real money. Each pack contains six cards including one rare. You get daily quests and community challenges to earn gold and a surprisingly large amount for each game you play as well. They say it's tuned such that you can earn every card for free by the time the next set releases, and the math works out pretty easily.

Question 4: I have no idea what I'm doing. How do I play Magic?

The game has an extensive, seemingly mandatory tutorial and a horrendous deck building wizard that will actively sabotage you. I'm sure people in here or the Magic Off-Topic thread would be happy to help you if you want a better deck. If someone has another link they want me to recommend, please say so.

Question 5: What game modes are there?

Ranked 1v1, Two Headed Giant, and AI Battle. You can also play against your friends in 1v1 or Two Headed Giant. You get 20 gold for a random 1v1 duel, 5/10/15 gold for a 1v1 AI duel (depending on difficulty), and absolutely nothing for Two Headed Giant.

Question 6: How often is this game be updated? Does it have all the cards?

This game has ~60% of the cards from the Origins set plus a variety from previous sets, and will be updated with the cards from each new set as they release once every three months. This is an indefinite replacement for Duels of the Planeswalker, so this is the last game in the series you need to download, and you'll keep your cards forever.

Question 7: Will there be any story content or things of that nature?

Yes, there's a five part campaign that takes you through the origins of each primary planeswalker (Gideon, Jace, Liliana, Chandra, and Nissa). Each are five missions long, and with the exception of Gideon's campaign, have a reasonable amount of variety. The later campaign missions have some pretty challenging missions as well.

danmaku

Oh god, sounds too good to be true. They'll probably fuck up something in the F2P model but who cares, I'll play it anyway.

tebunker

Banned
Well I have a strong dislike of WoTC but I like MTG, so if I can truly play this without spending a dime I think I can live in that space.

I will def try this on IOS and steam.

This is my dream game, this is what I've wanted all this time. Hope it's a good f2p model but I have my doubts, actually I have more doubts on the developer Stainless Games. I don't know why they keep giving them work. If it sucks there is always the Micropose Magic the gathering to keep my TCG itch going.

ultron87

For a Hearthstone-a-like the lack of global accounts is pretty horrible. Not that I'm shocked at this from a WOTC digital offering. Is your per-platform progress at least saved on the cloud somewhere? Losing everything due to resetting an iPad or something would be the pits.

One seemingly nice thing about their F2P model is that it sounds like you can't get extras of cards in a pack once you have a playset. So, unlike Hearthstone, there's a reasonable finite number of boosters to buy to get the full set, if you want to go that way.

I expected a way more ghetto OP. :p

I'll have to play more to see at what rate you earn coins. That tutorial quest was 30 coins IIRC and a booster pack is 150 coins.

Question 7: Will there be any story content or things of that nature?

They've implied at some point, yes, but I don't think there's any in the launch version. Again, the information release for this game has been terrible, but it's out now, so we should find out soon enough. There are supposed to be "thousands" of randomized AI decks though.
There's definitely a story mode, I didn't get to see it because I gave up on the unskippable tutorial after a few minutes. I simply did not have the patience to endure learning to block again.

Is it just the Magic Origins set? Or are there more blocks since it's free to play? ~200 cards is nothing for a F2P card game.

P.S. Thank god WotC is dropping those horrendous core sets. What a waste of paper and ink.

Helznicht

One seemingly nice thing about their F2P model is that it sounds like you can't get extras of cards in a pack once you have a playset. So, unlike Hearthstone, there's a reasonable finite number of boosters to buy to get the full set, if you want to go that way.

Wow that is nice. So once I have 4 of the same card it will never show up in booster purchases again? How hard is it to set up a match with a friend? Does it have friends lists?

For a Hearthstone-a-like the lack of global accounts is pretty horrible. Not that I'm shocked at this from a WOTC digital offering. Is your per-platform progress at least saved on the cloud somewhere? Losing everything due to resetting an iPad or something would be the pits.

What makes you think like that?
It will make people less likely to spend money on boosters, since there will only be a finite number of boosters you need before you get everything.

Is it just the Magic Origins set? Or are there more blocks since it's free to play? ~200 cards is nothing for a F2P card game.

P.S. Thank god WotC is dropping those horrendous core sets. What a waste of paper and ink.
I just counted, there's 251 cards in there (the collection is 18 pages with 14 cards on each, except for the last page which has 13 cards).

Xater

It's really slow on the 5S, but you know, it's Magic on the go.

It's even sluggish on an iPad Air 2 and I got it to crash already. It's pretty sub standard effort if you ask me. If you want to compete with hearthstone you better bring your A game.

ultron87

Wow that is nice. So once I have 4 of the same card it will never show up in booster purchases again? How hard is it to set up a match with a friend? Does it have friends lists?

What makes you think like that?
It will make people less likely to spend money on boosters, since there will only be a finite number of boosters you need before you get everything.

That's what people on the Duels Sub Reddit are saying: https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicDotP/comments/3ccup6/i_did_the_math_and_in_total_we_will_need_to_open/

It has the same rarity restrictions for deckbuilding as last year, so if you open 80 packs you'll have 4 of every common, 3 of every uncommon, 2 of every rare, and 1 of every mythic.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's even sluggish on an iPad Air 2 and I got it to crash already. It's pretty sub standard effort if you ask me. If you want to compete with hearthstone you better bring your A game.

Well, I mean, it's WotC. They still firmly believe everybody is better off playing with paper. They leave millions upon millions upon millions of dollars in the garbage due to their general lack of care about it not being 1995 any longer. For them, this may still be one of their better digital offerings. We'll see.

What's funny is that I left MtG for HS, and I'm so heavily invested now that I'm never going back. Sucks for WotC. Too little, way too late.

I just counted, there's 251 cards in there (the collection is 18 pages with 14 cards on each, except for the last page which has 13 cards).

Welp. And of course 95% of those cards are Limited fodder you wouldn't use in an actual deck, and the other 5% are good cards that were reprinted from previous blocks.

Altima

I think it said that Magic Duels will have 80 % of card from Origin + some old boring card and they will add 80 % of new paper expansions to the game later.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'd love to jump back into MtG. How's fast is gold earned? For instance, just on quests alone, you can typically buy 2-3 packs every 3 days in Hearthstone.

Not having a global account across PC and mobile blows. May have to wait for them to figure that out.

Well, I mean, it's WotC. They still firmly believe everybody is better off playing with paper. They leave millions upon millions upon millions of dollars in the garbage due to their general lack of care about it not being 1995 any longer. For them, this may still be one of their better digital offerings. We'll see.

WotC has had some pretty terrible digital initiatives, but the Duels games have typically been the exception to the rule. Sad to hear of big performance problems, but hopefully things get better eventually.

When is it coming to steam?

I'll probably try it out when it releases on steam. How much I play it will depend on how much effort is required to get enough coins for a booster pack.

Their last few computer offerings were resource hogs too so I'm not surprised it has performance issues.

They could tone down some of the graphics in the game. Hearthstone levels is perfectly acceptable.

Granted, there is more stuff going on than in hearthstone too when it comes to rules and phases.

Also, I believe this is all the cards:

http://imgur.com/a/5qHVR

comes out on steam on the 15th

That's what people on the Duels Sub Reddit are saying: https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicDotP/comments/3ccup6/i_did_the_math_and_in_total_we_will_need_to_open/

It has the same rarity restrictions for deckbuilding as last year, so if you open 80 packs you'll have 4 of every common, 3 of every uncommon, 2 of every rare, and 1 of every mythic.
FWIW, going by the current monetization and buying the most efficient card packs and coin packs, 80 packs would be 75€ without unlocking a single coin or card. So that's kind of the monetization ceiling.

If you were entirely inefficient and bought each pack for its maximum rate, that would be 160€.

(I assume the monetization is $1 = 1€)

Hari Seldon

I was excited for this since I am pretty new to hearthstone and have always wondered about magic, but lack of account system will prevent me from buying any packs. I can't believe they launched without this lol. Still, I will try this out and do the tutorial and single player free stuff.

Tsosie

This is exactly what I have wanted from a MTG game for a long time. I am a bit bummed that the cards are not cross platform. Since I will only be playing on PS4 and Android it is not a huge deal but still a tad disappointing.

Been playing these annually since the first release, but it's really frustrating that this won't run on an iPad 3--Hearthstone runs like butter on mine, and that's what's getting my money and playtime.

Biggest disappointment for me, though understandable, is lack of any limited format (draft or sealed). I was hoping they would devise a system like Hearthstone's Arena mode...

Sounds just like a stripped down Duels with less work going into the updates to make the free model work?

sgjackson

I think there's an account system on their end, but they just don't let you play cross platform.

I could be wrong.

if they track pack purchases on their end now i'd jump back in.

if the 80 dollar number for all the cards is real it sucks, though, cause last year in the base game you could get everything for 35 or so.

Biggest disappointment for me, though understandable, is lack of any limited format (draft or sealed). I was hoping they would devise a system like Hearthstone's Arena mode...

Sounds just like a stripped down Duels with less work going into the updates to make the free model work?

it feels wrong to buy packs in any tcg now without playing some kind of limited with them. magic draft and hs arena has me trained.

edit: ooh, two duals of each color pair. i was having fun playing three color control monstrosities last year before my packs got eaten, that's probably way more viable now.

Awesome, downloading now. Have wanted to dip my toes in with Magic but wasn't keen on going to a local store and doing it that way.

I really want to try this on PC. I recently got into hearthstone but it's just lacking compared to my memories of playing MTG and DOTP. I hope they continue to build on this and it turns out well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Will pass for now.

No cloud save + shitty mobile performance = Pass for Now

I'll keep playing Hearthstone till they fix shit.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was waiting on the next Magic game release to try it but I'll just go with this on PC for now instead even though I don't care for Hearthstone.

I really love MTG and have been playing HearthStone, I will have to wait till there is a global unified account. HearthStone is fun, but it doesn't scratch my MTG itch.

Helznicht

Will pass for now.

No cloud save + shitty mobile performance = Pass for Now

I'll keep playing Hearthstone till they fix shit.

Would this not save through the steam cloud? I mean if both me and my daughter play this on my PC through 2 different steam accounts, how would it track what cards we have? What happoens when I log into a new PC with steam? Do I not have my cards I unlocked purchased, like I would my save games that are downloaded from steam?

Edit: I know this is mobile, but does steam solve this issue for PC users?

I think the real appeal to this is being able to play constructed MTG with people without the savage power level that regular constructed MTG has. Just playing with simpler low-powered cards and enjoying the game.

No limited is a huge bummer though. :/

edit: just an aside, I would consider Hearthstone's current card pool and ruleset more deep than than this game is at release. That will change over time of course as more sets get added, but playing this to have a game with more complexity that HS is not why you should play it.

Staf

It's already better than Duels 2015 since they got rid of that horrible menu navigation system.

Top Bottom