• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Essential New Vegas mods for a first play-through?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't need every mod out there, but are there two or three must installs that mostly fix glitches and/or improve the visuals?

partyboy

New Vegas is the best game of its type as far as out of the box experience is concerned. You don't need any mods.

I'd recommend playing without mods first.
I recommend ignoring this post(not tryto be a dick, its thst mods make the game a better experience, ehy would you deny yourself that?). I got you bro, later when I get home from work ill post a list of my favorite mods, if you really want to get to downloading them though I posted a list of my favorites a few months back

kagamin

I recall an unofficial patch for the game fixing some bugs aand glitches being available, can't recall the name though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You absolutely need some of the mods that add some songs. The default tracks are amazing, but if anybody says they weren't sick of them by hour 20, their pants are currently on fire.

First off You want Fallout Mod Manager, because it can install and uninstall the mods for you, and LOOT, to help you have a proper load order.

Mods I'd recommend:

YUP (Yukichigai Unofficial Patch) cuz it fixes stuff.
FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting, it removes the brown filter and adds some real nice skyboxes.
Maybe the NMC texture pack.

But most importantly, you're gonna want some radio mods:
Mojave Music Radio Extended
Mysterious Broadcast Extended (if you have Old World Blues)
CONELRAD
Radio Blues New Vegas

magnetic

Just started playing New Vegas myself, this is my first western RPG and I'm already wildly in love with it, even with the shitty player model and the sometimes janky graphics.

I can't believe I waited so long to play this, it's one of those games I never realized I wanted.

Snakey125

Here's what you should absolutely need if your starting to mod your game:
- Stutter Remover to get rid of very very small stutters.
- Fallout New Vegas Anti Crash is extremely useful if your experiencing any crashing.
- NMC’s Texture Pack which makes the game look better.
- NVSE (script extender) which a good chunk of mods use.

As stated before, There is a thread around that lists some other great mods.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'd recommend playing without mods first.

I just can't agree with this suggestion. Not all mods are created equal. Sure, maybe you don't want to change the world from top to bottom on your first playthrough. But some "quality of life" improvements can greatly enhance your enjoyment of the game and fix potential issues that may literally make you hate New Vegas.

First off You want Fallout Mod Manager, because it can install and uninstall the mods for you, and LOOT, to help you have a proper load order.

Mods I'd recommend:

YUP (Yukichigai Unofficial Patch) cuz it fixes stuff.
FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting, it removes the brown filter and adds some real nice skyboxes.
Maybe the NMC texture pack.

But most importantly, you're gonna want some radio mods:
Mojave Music Radio Extended
Mysterious Broadcast Extended (if you have Old World Blues)
CONELRAD
Radio Blues New Vegas
FOMM is obsolete now. Use Nexus Mod Manager.

Paasei

Here's what you should absolutely need if your starting to mod your game:
- Stutter Remover to get rid of very very small stutters.
- Fallout New Vegas Anti Crash is extremely useful if your experiencing any crashing.
- NMC’s Texture Pack which makes the game look better.
- NVSE (script extender) which a good chunk of mods use.

As stated before, There is a thread around that lists some other great mods.

I would only add the 4GB Enabler to this list, so it will actually use 4gb RAM instead of 3.
There are other ways to unlock this, but I found this the easiest/shortest route.

You can read about it and download it here. http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55061/?

CloudWolf

I mostly use bug-fixes and enviromental/graphical mods. Electro-City and Nevada Skies are musts IMO (just don't forget to turn off all storms in the last one, those last way too long and make playing tedious). Also, don't even think about installing jsawyer's mod for your first game.

YUP patch
4gb exe
New Vegas Anti Crash
New Vegas Stutter Remover
Darnified UI

For visuals, probably NMC and Poco Bueno texture packs (let Poco Bueno overwrite NMC).

Get the open freeside mod , makes the whole area make more sense.

Do not listen to this man, that mod destroys performance in Freeside.

Don't use Electro City either, adds a bunch of useless NPCs that serve to kill your immersion and be non-lore friendly. Use Simple Street Lights instead.

M.D

If you install YUP using NMM, do you need to mess around with loading order and all that or just have it installed?

OraleeWey

Realistic Wasteland Lighting
Fallout New Vegas Script Extender
Fallout New Vegas 4GB
Interior Realistic Lighting

NMC's texture lack makes my game unplayable, you may want to try "essential textures".

Realistic Weapon Damage
Electro City
Stutter Remover
Anti Crash

These are off the top of my head and I use them all along with other mods that are optional for you, but certainly useful to me.

Ooh and one mod that changed everything for me... Mojave Nights.

MajorTom

I recommend ignoring this post(not tryto be a dick, its thst mods make the game a better experience, ehy would you deny yourself that?). I got you bro, later when I get home from work ill post a list of my favorite mods, if you really want to get to downloading them though I posted a list of my favorites a few months back

I just can't agree with this suggestion. Not all mods are created equal. Sure, maybe you don't want to change the world from top to bottom on your first playthrough. But some "quality of life" improvements can greatly enhance your enjoyment of the game and fix potential issues that may literally make you hate New Vegas.
My reasoning behind my post was that I think OP should experience the vanilla game first because it's great. Then go crazy on later playthroughs.
I'd recommend at least giving it a go without mods first. There's loads of mods that do improve the game though.

Make sure you play on hardcore mode though. I found it way more fun for my first playthrough.

My reasoning behind my post was that I think OP should experience the vanilla game first because it's great. Then go crazy on later playthroughs.
I'd recommend at least giving it a go without mods first. There's loads of mods that do improve the game though.

Make sure you play on hardcore mode though. I found it way more fun for my first playthrough.

The vanilla game has tons of issues, so mods like the unofficial patch and stutter remover should be used on first playthroughs regardless because they fix stuff rather than add new stuff.

MajorTom

The vanilla game has tons of issues, so mods like the unofficial patch and stutter remover should be used on first playthroughs regardless because they fix stuff rather than add new stuff.
I never really had major problems with the PC version..........having said that, I played it on PS3 first so going from that to PC maybe made me less susceptible to the PC problems.

Seyavesh

YUP patch
4gb exe
New Vegas Anti Crash
New Vegas Stutter Remover
Darnified UI

For visuals, probably NMC and Poco Bueno texture packs (let Poco Bueno overwrite NMC).

this guy has got it, none of these are gameplay changes barring the UI (which is just a UI change so it fits more for PC screens)

they're all mods that wildly increase the stability of the game by miles, especially NVAC
stutter remover i think can be iffy sometimes (depending on base performance) but NVAC is fucking magical

this guy has got it, none of these are gameplay changes barring the UI (which is just a UI change so it fits more for PC screens)

they're all mods that wildly increase the stability of the game by miles, especially NVAC
stutter remover i think can be iffy sometimes (depending on base performance) but NVAC is fucking magical

NVAC is particularly good because I was getting crashes on startup when testing out a vanilla game. Installing it completely fixed it.

I never really had major problems with the PC version..........having said that, I played it on PS3 first so going from that to PC maybe made me less susceptible to the PC problems.

The YUP patch does stuff like reinstate certain quest options and dialogues that were inadvertently made unusable due to minor bugs (e.g. Emily Ortal should have a perception check when you speak to her to deduce that she slept with Benny, but the vanilla game mistakenly checks her perception instead of yours, meaning you can't access that dialogue without the patch) , and fixes outright broken quests (e.g. the Ranger Andy bug within Raul's companion quest). I'd say it's pretty much essential.

draetenth

I recommend only using Yukichigai Unofficial Patch - YUP to start with. Play the game for a bit and then decide if you want more. It's possible like others mentioned, you might want something like MTUI or DarnUI to have a better user interface. NMC's Texture Pack and Vurt's Flora Overhaul are pretty safe.

If you install YUP using NMM, do you need to mess around with loading order and all that or just have it installed?

From the mod description (it's always good to read these for all mods):

Same as any other mod: download the ESM, then add it to your load order. Place YUP at the top of your load order, directly underneath all of the base game and DLC packages, so that other mods which alter similar parts of the game don't get messed up. Yes, even above other mods which say "put at the top of your load order". YUP might undo changes those mods make otherwise, and that would be bad!

For a first playthrough I'd download the stability mods like New Vegas Anti-crash and New Vegas Stutter Remover.

I'm hesitant to suggest anything more in-depth for the sake of preserving the vanilla experience. If I could suggest a single texture mod it would be Character Overhaul to deal with the butt-ugly character models. Trust me, you're not missing out on anything. I could suggest more texture mods but none that don't dramatically alter the vanilla feel of the game.

If you're trying to keep a simple mod list, the JE Sawyer mod is a pretty easy and safe bet, as it comes from one of the design leads on the game. Keep in mind that it's relatively elementary in comparison to others but it has meaningful adjustments underneath New Vegas' hood as well as a few more obvious ones.

Faabulous

Fuck the vanilla experience. The vanilla experience is balls.
Don't burn yourself out trying to play without mods OP, get the ones that you think would make your experience better together with the essencial fixes.

I recommend the JSawyer mod and maybe Core module from project Nevada (don't bother with the others IMO). And of course all the other Visual and fixes people sugested in the thread.

CloudWolf

Seriously, why are people even suggesting the JSawyer mod for a first playthrough? Even Josh Sawyer himself doesn't recommend using his mod if you are a first-time player. It makes the early game way harder. It is a good mod to use for a second or third playthrough, though.

CloudWolf

Oh yeah, another absolutely essential mod I just thought of is the Delay DLC mod. It stops you from being bombarded with DLC quests at the start of the game, playing them at a too early level and playing them in the wrong order (Lonesome Road should always be played last, since the rest of the DLC builds up to it).

draetenth

Seriously, why are people even suggesting the JSawyer mod for a first playthrough? Even Josh Sawyer himself doesn't recommend using his mod if you are a first-time player. It makes the early game way harder. It is a good mod to use for a second or third playthrough, though.

^ I have to agree.

Is it easy to install these? i have the game but dont wanna play until i install these mods.

For the most part, yes. You would simply go to the files section of the mod and click the "download with manager" button if you use a mod manager like Nexus Mod Manager. Not all mods can be downloaded using a mod manager though, but pretty much all mods have a detailed description page explaining how to download the mod (and they are usually good about telling you if you must download it manually).

spannicus

^ I have to agree.

For the most part, yes. You would simply go to the files section of the mod and click the "download with manager" button if you use a mod manager like Nexus Mod Manager. Not all mods can be downloaded using a mod manager though, but pretty much all mods have a detailed description page explaining how to download the mod (and they are usually good about telling you if you must download it manually).

Thanks will get to it!

Top Bottom