• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
it was a quick and easy port of a game not old enough for nostalgia but not new enough to be wanted on new consoles with little work outside of higher res and framerate being sold at the same price as something like the upcoming Gears remake which is a completely redone game for a game old enough to have some nostalgia and also includes every other game in the series through backwards compatibility.

That doesn't change the Remaster quality, it just means that one package is far better, in value, than the other.

Having considered that, though, I'd agree that the Gears set up is better, but that is an exception to the rule. God of War III is also an exception, since most remastered releases don't feel as empty.

It's only 1 game for $40 with no extra content or modes .
When compare to other remasters the value is just not there at least at that price.

That doesn't change the Remaster quality, it just means that one package is far better, in value, than the other.

Having considered that, though, I'd agree that the Gears set up is better, but that is an exception to the rule. God of War III is also an exception, since most remastered releases don't feel as empty.

GOW is worst remaster when it comes to value at it's price point .
Even more so when you look at the other remaster that Sony put out or coming out like UC.

Fat4all

Banned
Neogaf makes it out that MS lost the console by a huge margin. Though I will not be surprised if sony does indeed do a price cut come this holiday season... that number will be a lot more than 800k.

As hodayathink said, this is just the NPD.

Worldwide is a much bigger split.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Imru’ al-Qays;175368420 said:
Kids love AAA shooters.

9c0996f14c364ac5cad2a45eaa733d1c.gif

nib95

Banned
Neogaf makes it out that MS lost the console by a huge margin. Though I will not be surprised if sony does indeed do a price cut come this holiday season... that number will be a lot more than 800k.

NeoGAF spans more than the US. When people talk sales differences (mostly outside of NPD threads), they usually mean global. Obviously in the US (and I believe the UK) things are much closer, that has always been a widely accepted notion, including on GAF. Worldwide sales however tell a completely different story.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
GOW is worst remaster when it comes to value at it's price point .
Even more so when you look at the other remaster that Sony put out or coming out like UC.

I never said it was great value. However, I did say it was an exception to the rule regarding most remastered releases.

As hodayathink said, this is just the NPD.

Worldwide is a much bigger split.

I was referring to something else, but according for financial statements from MS and Sony, Sony is ahead by around 11-14 million units shipped worldwide. (25 million vs. 11-14 million).

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Anyone here besides me think that it's possible XB1 has to compete with a 1 million gap in October?

They'll probably manage to reduce it by more than half again like last year. The Cycle will continue

Or, perhaps, 950K, which will not be made up this holiday. I can see it decreased by up to 500K, but then it will reverse as 2016 gets hot. This is, also, based on the assumption that Sony won't cut the PS4's price this year. If it's cut, there probably won't be any ground made up.

Honestly it depends on what both companies do.

That's what I'm trying to say. Assuming no surprises come till October (PS4 Price-drop, XB1 giveaway combo pack, etc.)

Will MS have to compete with a 1 million gap in October? (Given Destiny Bundle and MGSV favor for PS4 in September)

Anyone here besides me think that it's possible XB1 has to compete with a 1 million gap in October?

They'll probably manage to reduce it by more than half again like last year. The Cycle will continue

I dont see the PS4 lead in North America getting to 1 million by October. The PS4 would have to win August and September by like 100,000 sales each month and the last few months have been pretty close.

However, Preseason ends at the start of November. And after what the Xbox One pulled off last year, I dont see them cutting whatever lead it is, in half again. Sony will be much more aggressive this year especially since they haven't cut the price yet. They will probably pull off a $50 price cut this fall, and even if they dont, they should have Star Wars Themed PS4 bundles and those will look fantastic under the Xmas Tree for kids. Then you have the chance of a COD Themed Bundle for the hardcore. That covers the family and the hardcore. Xbox One will probably trot out a Tomb Raider bundle with both Tomb Raider games to compete.

Regardless, it will be good times. We all will win this holiday.

I dont see the PS4 lead in North America getting to 1 million by October. The PS4 would have to win August and September by like 100,000 sales each month and the last few months have been pretty close.

However, Preseason ends at the start of November. And after what the Xbox One pulled off last year, I dont see them cutting whatever lead it is, in half again. Sony will be much more aggressive this year especially since they haven't cut the price yet. They will probably pull off a $50 price cut this fall, and even if they dont, they should have Star Wars Themed PS4 bundles and those will look fantastic under the Xmas Tree for kids. Then you have the chance of a COD Themed Bundle for the hardcore. That covers the family and the hardcore. Xbox One will probably trot out a Tomb Raider bundle with both Tomb Raider games to compete.

Regardless, it will be good times. We all will win this holiday.

It's very likely that XB1 will cut $50 again, whatever PS4 cut it or not.

Wallach

will gears bomba just as hard or will it do good cuz all gears included through bc

I think they had like ~800k players in the beta. Don't know if there were any other ways to get access besides pre-orders, but it should be enough to tell they're going to do much better numbers.

Megatron

Yes, but a PS4 cut will have a bigger impact than the next X1 cut, especially if Sony cuts the price to $299.

Why on earth would they do that when they are winning handily every month still? As long as it's selling why would you just give away free money? And $299? That's insane? You drop prices when sales lag, not when you are doing great. That's why the 360 stopped dropping in price in the US and the ps3 actually got cheaper than the 360 despite a blueray player and better hardware.

Would MS really cut $50 again?, even if it's a promotion wouldn't that hurt Xbox division's funds again.

I see them cutting that much on Black Friday weekend more than likely, but not for the whole holiday season. I also think that if Sony doesn't do a full-scale price drop this year, they'll still have a temporary one for Black Friday as well.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Why on earth would they do that when they are winning handily every month still? As long as it's selling why would you just give away free money? And $299? That's insane? You drop prices when sales lag, not when you are doing great. That's why the 360 stopped dropping in price in the US and the ps3 actually got cheaper than the 360 despite a blueray player and better hardware.

I don't recall saying that the price cut was definite. Him and I were simply making guesses.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
i dont think sony can afford to do that unfortunately, that would eat their profit margin and the ps4 is whats helping them stay profitable

I don't know what they can/can't afford and nobody else, not in their know, does either. Besides, as I said above, I was talking hypothetically.

i dont think sony can afford to do that unfortunately, that would eat their profit margin and the ps4 is whats helping them stay profitable

If they can sell the PS4 for 299 this holiday and not take a loss on the hardware then it would be a wise decision, the smaller profit margin on the hardware would be more than made up for by software sales, PS Plus subscriptions and maybe some PS Now subscriptions.
You also drop prices to keep momentum strong, like they did with the PS1 and PS2.

Phil Spencer:
There are ways to sell consoles by losing more money on hardware and building an unnatural business construct that I'd never want to do - at the end, when people make a commitment to Xbox and the consoles they buy, the games they buy, they want to know that Microsoft and Xbox is in it for the long run. To sacrifice the long term for any short term gain doesn't make any sense.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-our-decisions-phil-spencer-on-xboxs-big-year

That makes it sound to me like there won't be another Xbone price cut this fall. Unless I'm misreading it.

vin-buc

Would MS really cut $50 again?, even if it's a promotion wouldn't that hurt Xbox division's funds again.

I was just typing a similar post. I think MS as well as Sony will be bullish with pricing this holiday but will bundle heavily. I don't think MS perma cuts the price to $299 this year unless it's a BF one day Sale. I also don't believe PS4 goes below $350 - which will be perma. MS will have a good 2015-2016 (as Sony) and they should compete on those merits. Tbh - last year's fire sale was a mistake for a couple of reasons:

1. Devaluing the system
2. Still trailing behind the ps4
3. Loss of profits (this is a guess but still)

I think MS is doing everything they can and are executing well enough to hold their own. So what if they're 2nd - if they win Nov/Dec and a month here/there but are still down cumulatively then what's the point - they're still not No. 1. I think it's the smarter thing to do.

2016 will be year 3 of this gen and we can expect console revisions and price cuts - together.

Fat4all

Banned
Phil Spencer:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-our-decisions-phil-spencer-on-xboxs-big-year

That makes it sound to me like there won't be another Xbone price cut this fall. Unless I'm misreading it.

What a difference a year makes.

I was just typing a similar post. I think MS as well as Sony will be bullish with pricing this holiday but will bundle heavily. I don't think MS perma cuts the price to $299 this year unless it's a BF one day Sale.

The problem with if they choose to go promotional at $299 is that a similar situation will happen that happened last year. They'll end their promo, raise the price, then immediately regret it. If they promo at $299, expect it to stay at $299.

donny2112

If MS can get the XB1 under $200 (including whatever bundled items are worth it to me to make it more than that in total price; FWIW, don't need a new TV, so while that $500 bundle this week was tempting, I couldn't justify it.), and RotTR only runs on DX12 (i.e. not my PC), and RARE makes a new Perfect Dark better than PD0 (if still not as good as PD1), ..., eh, it's going to take a lot for me to buy into a new-gen console this time around. :lol

I was just typing a similar post. I think MS as well as Sony will be bullish with pricing this holiday but will bundle heavily. I don't think MS perma cuts the price to $299 this year unless it's a BF one day Sale. I also don't believe PS4 goes below $350 - which will be perma. MS will have a good 2015-2016 (as Sony) and they should compete on those merits. Tbh - last year's fire sale was a mistake for a couple of reasons:

1. Devaluing the system
2. Still trailing behind the ps4
3. Loss of profits (this is a guess but still)

I think MS is doing everything they can and are executing well enough to hold their own. So what if they're 2nd - if they win Nov/Dec and a month here/there but are still down cumulatively then what's the point - they're still not No. 1. I think it's the smarter thing to do.

2016 will be year 3 of this gen and we can expect console revisions and price cuts - together.

If we do get a permanent price drop to 349 on the PS4 this year I wonder how much the inevitable PS4 slim that will probably launch next year will cost, I'm thinkin 279, unless of course they can pull off 249 at a profit.

ramuh

Hmm. I wonder if PS4 will drop price to maintain momentum. Even a 50 dollar reduction would do wonders.

vin-buc

If we do get a permanent price drop to 349 on the PS4 this year I wonder how much the inevitable PS4 slim that will probably launch next year will cost, I'm thinkin 279, unless of course they can pull off 249 at a profit.

For the revision/pricecuts I was referring more to the xbox. I dont think Sony will cut the ps4 price twice within 12 months (give or take). I definitely can't see them going under 300 though (next holiday). Obviously, total speculation.

It may put them in a tricky position for the Morpheus launch though.

If they can sell the PS4 for 299 this holiday and not take a loss on the hardware then it would be a wise decision, the smaller profit margin on the hardware would be more than made up for by software sales, PS Plus subscriptions and maybe some PS Now subscriptions.

You also drop prices to keep momentum strong, like they did with the PS1 and PS2.
hm.. possibly but there is more to consoles than just beating others and sales, its also about making money and i dont the sales will improve by a fourth everything month for it to make up for it.

donny2112

USConsole_PS4gap_annual_201507.png

USConsole_PS4gap_201507-1.png

The second graph means that PS4 has been selling ~10% better than the XB1 each month, since the LTD % gap is sticking around 10%.

vin-buc

The problem with if they choose to go promotional at $299 is that a similar situation will happen that happened last year. They'll end their promo, raise the price, then immediately regret it. If they promo at $299, expect it to stay at $299.

The difference is that they let their promotion run for a while last holiday (a couple of months, I think?) while a BF one day only fire sale doesn't pin them to that number and it looks like a tremendous value.

hm.. possibly but there is more to consoles than just beating others and sales, its also about making money and i dont the sales will improve by a fourth everything month for it to make up for it.

The majority of money made is made from software sales and subscriptions, selling your console for a large profit actually means you will make less money, especially when it's one with as much interest as the PS4. The money Sony makes on the PS4 doesn't matter as long as they are selling software and subscriptions, so if they can sell the console for 299 at a profit of say 2 dollars, that would be perfectly acceptable because they would be shifting more consoles which would mean more software sales and subscriptions.

What a difference a year makes.

Wow, 40% less in two years. Seems like that'd be one of the top dives in console history (though I'm sure I'm probably wrong about that). Especially considering it's for a console doing quite well.

C4Lukins

I see them cutting that much on Black Friday weekend more than likely, but not for the whole holiday season. I also think that if Sony doesn't do a full-scale price drop this year, they'll still have a temporary one for Black Friday as well.

I could see MS not dropping the price, but offering Rare 30th, Master Chief Collection, and Gears of War Remastered, plus the 4 BC Gears games. They could advertise it as Xbox One with 40 plus free games. Hell add Halo 5 in there, for shits and giggles. Hell they could add their free to play stuff on disk and get it up to 50 with zero cost as far as software royalties. If they match the PS4 price I can see them winning the holliday with that package.

I could see it happen slowly over 10-15 years, but definitely not in the foreseeable future. In Orlando everybody's nuts about Soccer. Orlando City Soccer is all people talk about with sports.

That's most likely because the Gators have been terrible for a while now, like painfully bad. The Hurricanes have been bad for a decade. On the pro front, the Jaguars haven't been anything other than consistently bad since Coughlin left, and the Dolphins are the Dolphins. The only good football related thing in Florida since spanking OU in 2008 has been the Seminoles, nd most of the state flat out hates them.

When your local teams have been hot garbage, of course people will look to other sports. Just look at Boston, they own the crap out of the Patriots now.

The majority of money made is made from software sales and subscriptions, selling your console for a large profit actually means you will make less money, especially when it's one with as much interest as the PS4. The money Sony makes on the PS4 doesn't matter as long as they are selling software and subscriptions, so if they can sell the console for 299 at a profit of say 2 dollars, that would be perfectly acceptable because they would be shifting more consoles which would mean more software sales and subscriptions.
i think right now they are fine, but if microsoft does do 1 more price drop, which im not sure if they will, i do not want sony to sit on their hands and just assume its fine.

But i would agree with you that a 299 price point would hurt the xbox 1 sales bad, they got some leverage with their price point right now, but if the ps4 is cheaper than the 1 or the same price? they might have some problems

CLEEK

Phil Spencer:

Phil's quote doesn't make a lick of sense. The tradition "razors and blades" model of selling the console at a loss to begin with to get revenue from software is all about sacrificing the short term for long term gains. Not the other way around.

Plus it conveiently ingnores the huge uptick in sales they got from their firesale price drops last holiday.

Lucreto

I think August will go to the PS4. The Batman bundle is still selling well. I don't see Gear Ultimate doing much to push Xbox One if people like me are involved. I won't buy it as I have the old titles on 360 and most through GwG so I can wait until they are backwards compatible.
September will got PS4 as well with Destiny and more importantly Metal Gear Solid V.

October will be a toss up. Halo at the very end of the month might stop it from topping the hardware charts. Uncharted Collection might get a bundle as well. It depends on what they plan to show and what rebalances they have made.

November is a toss up but leaning Xbox. Halo will have a bigger impact for November and a Tomb Raider bundle or a Fallout bundle but Sony could do well with a COD bundle, a Assassin's Creed Syndicate bundle and/or Battlefront bundle. If a price cut happens as well there will be competition that month.

Top Bottom