• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales for July 2015

Welfare

Xbox One 189k

MoM drop was 36%

YoY rise is 44%

Weekly average

June: 297k / 5 weeks = 59,400

July: 189k / 4 weeks = 47,250

PS4 218k

MoM drop was 40%

YoY rise is 17%

Weekly average

June: 365k / 5 weeks = 73,000

July: 218k / 4 weeks = 54,500

Wii U 46k

MoM drop was 34%

YoY drop is 43%

Weekly average

June: 70k / 5 weeks = 14,000

July: 46k / 4 weeks = 11,500

PS4 V XB1 gap = >800k

Imru’ al-Qays;175361649 said:
Now that's interesting. Can't believe it has anything to do with the patches. Wonder what this is all about.

Maybe it's because the game didn't have much competition when it came out, so its sales were extremely frontloaded.

It was <700K month one and <290K(which was Splatoon's #s which it was above) Month 2 I think.

So lowest it could be is 1.05 million. Probably closer to 1.2M. Quite good for an RPG still at nearly full price.

Ōkami

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+
| Month |    Japan   |     US     |
| April |     43.086 |     43.000 |
| May   |     42.889 |     42.000 |
| June  |     78.145 |     70.000 |
| July  |     45.003 |     47.000 |
WiiU still <500k for the whole year in the US.

I'm not sure if Mpl is around; if there are any official updates / figures /PR, I can add them to the OP though if someone points them out.

Oh Niro-kun is around now, nvm.

&#332;kami;175363527 said:
Code:

It's amazing that they're so profitable.

C4Lukins

cuz that would've worked so well

$_35.JPG

This remaster actually sold well despite its many problems, and was a much more complex package in general. I bet you Gears sells upward of 300k in its first month despite being a remaster of an older game because MS is putting effort into it plus getting the entire 360 series for free with BC. The God of War thing was a poorly executed money grab, but maybe once the digital version gets down to a reasonable price it will make some money.

While we wait, I'll throw in a X1 chart with some data for us to discuss...

OMW5GW8.jpg

X1 January-July 2014: ~1,230k
X1 January-July 2015 ~1,457k

YOY rise: ~18.5%

Xbox One has been up every month this year in sales over the last except for March.

Nice graph, can you make one similar about the PS4 performance compared to last year?

Mory Dunz

&#332;kami;175363527 said:
Code:

Is this the first time Wii U HW in Japan and NA has been comparable...in like forever?

Even when the Wii U was doing 30-40k a month before, in Japan it would be like 7k a week, so 21k a month.

Misery loves company.

Not that I don't believe you, but what's your source? And how much is "a lot"? I find this topic fascinating.

What I do know is that Madden sales in the U.S., while still staggering, have more or less plateaued in the last few years while FIFA has done nothing but grow. With younger kids more and more into soccer I predict FIFA eventually outselling FIFA in the U.S. but we'll see.

I'm going to say it will be a cold day in hell before FIFA ever outsells Madden in the US. Soccer has risen a bit in popularity with children, but Football is more exciting than Soccer and in America it's popularity has only gone up in recent years, despite the concussion complainers, the botched domestic violence cases, and deflategate.

The NFL had 19/20 of the top 20 most watched sporting events last year, with the Olympics opening ceremonies being the non-football entry. Then there was the World Cup final and College Football lol.

I expect that next year's Madden sales will probably be up.

I'm going to say it will be a cold day in hell before FIFA ever outsells Madden in the US. Soccer has risen a bit in popularity with children, but Football is more exciting than Soccer and in America it's popularity has only gone up in recent years, despite the concussion complainers, the botched domestic violence cases, and deflategate.

The NFL had 19/20 of the top 20 most watched sporting events last year, with the Olympics opening ceremonies being the non-football entry. Then there was the World Cup final and College Football lol.

I expect that next year's Madden sales will probably be up.

I could see it happen slowly over 10-15 years, but definitely not in the foreseeable future. In Orlando everybody's nuts about Soccer. Orlando City Soccer is all people talk about with sports.

Is this the first time Wii U HW in Japan and NA has been comparable...in like forever?

Even when the Wii U was doing 30-40k a month before, in Japan it would be like 7k a week, so 21k a month.

Misery loves company.

1. NA=/=US
2. since I have this in a spreadsheet, other months where they're close: March, April, August, October 2013, and maybe January 2014

I mean it's going to be PS4 because not only marketing but the user base is just way bigger. Destiny AFAIK outsold the X1 version as the bundled sales were supposedly nuts.

But Destiny sells higher on Xbox month over month and PS has that marketing deal. I don't know, could go either way. This holiday in general is going to be very interesting. We are also talking stricktly NPD's too. Globally, PS4 will take it. But NA is gonna be close.

Toki767

But Destiny sells higher on Xbox month over month and PS has that marketing deal. I don't know, could go either way. This holiday in general is going to be very interesting. We are also talking stricktly NPD's too. Globally, PS4 will take it. But NA is gonna be close.

Bundles don't count so we really don't know what the ratio is for a game like Destiny.

If it is higher on Xbox One, I'm doubting that it's by a significant margin.

blakep267

Bundles don't count so we really don't know what the ratio is for a game like Destiny.
I think what he's trying to say is those initial destiny bundles have been gone since what, last October. So that impact is probably gone by this point. You could argue that destiny with bundles was more than Xbox back in September but probably not anymore

TomShoe

Banned
Not sure why people are so surprised about GOWIII:R not selling well, it's a single remastered game that everyone with a PS3 already owned selling for $40. It was probably very cheap to produce as well. I expect the game to be huge bundle bait in either the states or developing countries in the near future.

50K * $40 = ~$2M

And in turn drive Sony's profits off the deep end. Sony cannot afford to sell at a loss, especially with a title like COD packed in. Perhaps next year when a refresh/cheaper to produce version. Right now the PS4 is selling exceptionally well and they have no need to sell it cheaper that the current price.

They've more than likely already made the cheaper to produce model (the 1200 model). It's just that because there's no pressure to drop the price right now, they'd rather keep the extra profit per unit sold.

I think what he's trying to say is those initial destiny bundles have been gone since what, last October. So that impact is probably gone by this point. You could argue that destiny with bundles was more than Xbox back in September but probably not anymore

^This. I think it's safe to say that Destiny has sold more on Xbox in NA anyway. Factor in global sales and PS4 outsells Xbox.

Mory Dunz

1. NA=/=US
2. since I have this in a spreadsheet, other months where they're close: March, April, August, October 2013, and maybe January 2014

huh?
.....I said NA. Isn't that what NPD tracks? Well, not the whole NA, but USA and Canada. Or does it only track the USA?

edit:
was Oct '13 when it did less than the Wii? Like 29k vs 31k. Lol, I remember something like that around that time.

Not sure why people are so surprised about GOWIII:R not selling well, it's a single remastered game that everyone with a PS3 already owned selling for $40. It was probably very cheap to produce as well. I expect the game to be huge bundle bait in either the states or developing countries in the near future.

50K * $40 = ~$2M

2 mil minus retailer's cut, marketing, dev costs, etc, it's probably closer to $1 mil or less.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

50K * $40 = ~$2M

I don't get the concern, either (especially when it was pegged as a wasted purchase from its outset). It'll be a bundled game, sooner or later, and is probably pure profit anyway. No harm, no foul. It should simply be a message to Sony that such a game needs to be bundled with more for it to make sense.

Then again, I'm also one of few that doesn't understand the notion that the X1 will beat the PS4 in the US by any massive amount this holiday (IF it even beats it at all). Guess I'll remain mostly alone in that one.

Ōkami

huh?
.....I said NA. Isn't that what NPD tracks? Well, not the whole NA, but USA and Canada. Or does it only track the USA?

edit:
was Oct '13 when it did less than the Wii? Like 29k vs 31k. Lol, I remember something like that around that time.
NPD tracks the US, Canada and I believe Australia and New Zealand too.

The numbers we get however, are US only.

C4Lukins

But Destiny sells higher on Xbox month over month and PS has that marketing deal. I don't know, could go either way. This holiday in general is going to be very interesting.

I think the PS4 Destiny bundle plays a big role. I assume it came with a physical copy of the game, and if so there are millions more copies of Destiny out there on the PS4, and probably a lot more Gamestop PS4 bundled used copies rotting on shelves. Probably the same with Assassin's Creed on XOne. There is just a ton of code sales or physical sales from the secondary market. So it is probably easier to get cheap in a way that is not counted on PS4.

As for Elder Scrolls. Starting with Morrowind and going through Skyrim. Bethesda RPG's are more associated with MS, and if you bought these games on a Sony system, chances are you had a bad experience technically. Same with Fallout. If you are a console Bethesda fan, chances are probably higher that you would go with an Xone version. If you are a PS4 person and PS3 was your console of choice last gen, then I doubt that consumer is excited about a new Bethesda game.

I don't get the concern, either (especially when it was pegged as a wasted purchase from its outset). It'll be a bundled game, sooner or later, and is probably pure profit anyway. No harm, no foul. It should simply be a message to Sony that such a game needs to be bundled with more for it to make sense.

Then again, I'm also one of few that doesn't understand the notion that the X1 will beat the PS4 in the US by any massive amount this holiday (IF it even beats it at all). Guess I'll remain mostly alone in that one.

it'll beat the ps4 just like last year because ms stacks the shit out of those months and does a shitton of bundles.

Boke1879

I think the PS4 Destiny bundle plays a big role. I assume it came with a physical copy of the game, and if so there are millions more copies of Destiny out there on the PS4, and probably a lot more Gamestop PS4 bundled used copies rotting on shelves. Probably the same with Assassin's Creed on XOne. There is just a ton of code sales or physical sales from the secondary market. So it is probably easier to get cheap in a way that is not counted on PS4.

As for Elder Scrolls. Starting with Morrowind and going through Skyrim. Bethesda RPG's are more associated with MS, and if you bought these games on a Sony system, chances are you had a bad experience technically. Same with Fallout. If you are a console Bethesda fan, chances are probably higher that you would go with an Xone version. If you are a PS4 person and PS3 was your console of choice last gen, then I doubt that consumer is excited about a new Bethesda game.

I expect Fallout 4 on PS4 and Xbox one to have comparable sales. Don't be too shocked if PS4 version sells more if we're going by how 3rd parties tend to sell on PS4

C4Lukins

I expect Fallout 4 on PS4 and Xbox one to have comparable sales. Don't be too shocked if PS4 version sells more if we're going by how 3rd parties tend to sell on PS4

Yeah I think a transition is happening, but there were just a lot more Elder Scrolls fans on XOne. Looking at Amazon, the PS4 version of Fallout seems to be doing consistently better, so I bet that will be close.

Boke1879

it'll beat the ps4 just like last year because ms stacks the shit out of those months and does a shitton of bundles.

Last year MS had the please of having an AC and COD bundle as well at a $50 price reduction. This year while they do have Halo and can do bundles. Sony has the benefit of having marketing agreements for COD, AC, Battlefront.

Sony has the option to do some insane bundling as well.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

Remains to be seen. With the kind of bundles the holidays will see, nothing is set in stone. Certainly not like it was at this time, last year.

For one, there will be no X1 CoD bundles/deals/marketing. That, alone, will play a major role in how things go.

Last year MS had the please of having an AC and COD bundle as well at a $50 price reduction. This year while they do have Halo and can do bundles. Sony has the benefit of having marketing agreements for COD, AC, Battlefront.

Sony has the option to do some insane bundling as well.

Xbox AC did well only because it was two games for the price of the base console. The $50 price reduction is now a permanent part of the price, and outside of Halo MS has Forza, Tomb Raider, Fallout, and Rainbow 6 (though the last one is unlikely to set any charts on fire).

gimmmick

Xbox One 189k

MoM drop was 36%

YoY rise is 44%

Weekly average

June: 297k / 5 weeks = 59,400

July: 189k / 4 weeks = 47,250

PS4 218k

MoM drop was 40%

YoY rise is 17%

Weekly average

June: 365k / 5 weeks = 73,000

July: 218k / 4 weeks = 54,500

Wii U 46k

MoM drop was 34%

YoY drop is 43%

Weekly average

June: 70k / 5 weeks = 14,000

July: 46k / 4 weeks = 11,500

PS4 V XB1 gap = >800k

Neogaf makes it out that MS lost the console by a huge margin. Though I will not be surprised if sony does indeed do a price cut come this holiday season... that number will be a lot more than 800k.

Neogaf makes it out that MS lost the console by a huge margin. Though I will not be surprised if sony does indeed do a price cut come this holiday season... that number will be a lot more than 800k.

This is only for NPD. It is 2 to 1 world wide. Also, this was the place Microsoft held 65/35 for most of last generation. They are very much behind where everyone thought they would be in 2013.

it was a quick and easy port of a game not old enough for nostalgia but not new enough to be wanted on new consoles with little work outside of higher res and framerate being sold at the same price as something like the upcoming Gears remake which is a completely redone game for a game old enough to have some nostalgia and also includes every other game in the series through backwards compatibility.

in other words, if the ps4 had bc, there would be very little reason to buy it at $20, much less $40.

2 mil minus retailer's cut, marketing, dev costs, etc, it's probably closer to $1 mil or less.

That's just in the US though. If this was made by a small (i.e. 15 people or smaller) team within SSM in less than a year, then they probably sold enough worldwide to make up for the development costs. Everything from now forward is probably gravy.

Top Bottom