• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3 Versions of Mortal Kombat X Have Been Canceled

BiggNife

Searched, found nothing, lock if old.

http://shoryuken.com/2015/08/28/mortal-kombat-x-for-playstation-3-xbox-360-has-been-canceled/

After months of development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has come to the regrettable conclusion that we cannot release Mortal Kombat X for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Please know our teams worked diligently to meet the quality standards set by the current-gen versions of the game,” the publisher’s announcement states. “We were not able to get [these] versions to the quality expected of a Mortal Kombat game and are very sorry for not being able to deliver the products as originally planned.

Considering the constant delays (and the fact it was High Voltage, who also screwed up the PC version), I assumed something was up. I guess they decided the market for the game on past consoles was just too small.

Kriken

Gee, with only a few more weeks left in Summer and nothing from Warner Brothers, who'd've thunk it?

Edit: I thought it was slated for sometime this Summer, must've missed the December thing

A friend of mine is going to be pretty disappointed. He's been waiting for the Xbox 360 version for ages...

I myself got the Xbox One version on release day, but this sucks for people like my friend who don't plan to get the newer consoles any time soon.

Numb

No surprise they would after this long.
Just think of all the patches they would have to have added.

Warner (and any publisher who engages in bullshit like this) should still be called to task for this though. I moved to the current gen at launch in 2013, but some people will be using cross gen announcements like MK to base their decisions, while in the meantime, Warner gets to dip their toes into the current gen market and see whether or not they "need" to make a last gen version to be financially viable - and if not, simply cancel a previously announced game.

Really hard to believe you coudn't get a reasonable version of MKX running on PS360 - the game is just not that impressive visually.

Get ready for the pitchforks Warner Bros.

HGDpVoC.gif

Kalor

I had forgotten they were doing 360/PS3 versions. I have to wonder how much it would of sold if it did come out as I doubt it would of done great.

Korigama

Hm, hadn't been following this, so I wasn't aware of the delays. Given High Voltage's track record, this was probably for the best.

BiggNife

I had forgotten they were doing 360/PS3 versions. I have to wonder how much it would of sold if it did come out as I doubt it would of done great.
IIRC, the 360/PS3 versions of Battlfield Hardline came out day and date with current gen and the communities were like a sixth the size of the PS4/Xbone communities. I think publishers underestimated how quickly a lot of gamers would jump to current gen.

Warner (and any publisher who engages in bullshit like this) should still be called to task for this though. I moved to the current gen at launch in 2013, but some people will be using cross gen announcements like MK to base their decisions, while in the meantime, Warner gets to dip their toes into the current gen market and see whether or not they "need" to make a last gen version to be financially viable - and if not, simply cancel a previously announced game.

Really hard to believe you coudn't get a reasonable version of MKX running on PS360 - the game is just not that impressive visually.
Considering the same guys that were porting it to last gen had a hard time making it run on PC of all platforms, I don't find it hard to believe at all

Woah...

WB is really making a certain name for themselves as a publisher.

Naw, I see this more as a good thing. WB decided not to release something that would've been subpar at best. Complete non-working at worst. So chalk up one positive on WB's huge list of negatives

VariantX

Naw, I see this more as a good thing. WB decided not to release something that would've been subpar at best. Complete non-working at worst. So chalk up one positive on WB's huge list of negatives

Could have been perfectly fine if high voltage weren't the ones porting it though. The visuals could have still been on par with those in MK9 and that would have been acceptable for those platforms

vg260

As bad as they've been, I can't fault them at all here at this point. This seems like the best call for a product that would not have been up to par because they focused their efforts on current gen versions first without compromise. Also, it's a very nice looking game running (mostly) at 60 fps. It's a big step up from MK9 visually.

Garlador

If they were still under Midway, they would have released it, bugs and all, and then ignored it.

I actually am impressed they made the decision to cancel those versions.

Top Bottom