• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3 Versions of Mortal Kombat X Have Been Canceled

Jawmuncher

Forgot all about these. But with this much of a delay already it was a smart choice.
The return probably wouldn't have been very great unless they included DLC.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
It was bound to happen.
Pretty much. I guess once the GOTY edition comes out and is below $20 on Steam, it'll play MKX. My hype for this game is dead and buried.

For the record, I had preordered this for PS3, making me victim number 3 ITT lol.

Pachinko

It was always a fail safe anyway, the games sold gangbusters on current gen systems to there's no reason to release a sub HD port with all the bells and whistles turned down (or even off) just to sell a few extra copies.

It's also likely that , it's been too long to bother releasing it at this point. If you're WB , do you finish it (with the chance of it tarnishing the image of the current gen versions) and sell maybe a million copies world wide or just write off the cost of the port and make up the few million spent on it by selling another million current gen copies (which can be sold for more money too).

To be honest , I'm more surprised a last gen edition was ever in the cards at all but , as I said above - it's a fail safe , in case the ps4/xb1 edition didn't do well they could have tossed out the last gen version to make back some more money.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The fact that this was kancelled doesn't surprise me. Kustomers like the new systems and they've been out for a while now.The kurrent gen is almost two years old. It kan't be cheap to have people koding on the old systems and trying to fit this massive game onto ~10 year old konsoles.

Mikey Jr.

Warner (and any publisher who engages in bullshit like this) should still be called to task for this though. I moved to the current gen at launch in 2013, but some people will be using cross gen announcements like MK to base their decisions, while in the meantime, Warner gets to dip their toes into the current gen market and see whether or not they "need" to make a last gen version to be financially viable - and if not, simply cancel a previously announced game.

Really hard to believe you coudn't get a reasonable version of MKX running on PS360 - the game is just not that impressive visually.

Wb owes last gen console owners absolutely nothing.

BiggNife

Fighting games seem like easy ports. What does this game do that won't allow it to run on last gen consoles?

Visually it's a massive step up from MK9, and it runs at a stable 60fps. The fatalities are insanely detailed/gruesome because they actually modeled realistic organs. I am willing to bet they were able to downgrade the graphics a bit but couldn't maintain a constant 60fps, which is a must for fighting games since timing for combos is extremely important. Other HVS ports have had massive framerate problems, like ZOE HD and Saints Row 4 Re-Elected.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
shocking news!

No but seriously they should never have announced it to begin with, and i hope Tomb Raider follows suit.

All the people who cry about "i can't afford a new console!", fine. Go PC. It doesn't really matter what you upgrade to, but asking for decade old systems to stay relevant is an exercise in futility. Even Japan is starting to drop PS3 from the radar in terms of game development. And i can bet every SE game that gets released in Japan as a PS3/PS4 game is gonna be PS4 only localization wise.

Velcro Fly

It's probably for the best

Still being deprived of seeing them try to release it for $60 after the PS4/X1 versions had been out for 8 months does make me a little sad

BiggNife

Why would anyone hire high voltage to do ANYTHING?!

Probably because they're willing to work for cheap contracts if I'm willing to guess.

Same reason why companies like GriN and Spark Unlimited got contracts at major publishers despite having mediocre reputations. But that strategy ended up biting both of those companies in the ass, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up screwing over HVS too especially considering how tarnished their reputation has been lately.

FACE

Banned
Visually it's a massive step up from MK9, and it runs at a stable 60fps. The fatalities are insanely detailed/gruesome because they actually modeled realistic organs. I am willing to bet they were able to downgrade the graphics a bit but couldn't maintain a constant 60fps, which is a must for fighting games since timing for combos is extremely important. Other HVS ports have had massive framerate problems, like ZOE HD and Saints Row 4 Re-Elected.

Or MKX PC at launch(not sure if fixed).

Garlador

shocking news!

No but seriously they should never have announced it to begin with, and i hope Tomb Raider follows suit.

I'm honestly shocked Microsoft is still trying to make Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 happen. Even all the pre-order content EXCLUDES the 360 version and is only for the Xbox One.

I would not be surprised to see it dropped at the 11th hour.

As for Mortal Kombat... Bring on Unreal Engine 4.0.

AmyS

Not surprised MKX canceled for last-gen consoles.

360 launched ten years ago in 2005 and given that its hardware was designed between 2002 and the end of 2004, it is ancient. The same thing can be said about PS3. Even though it launched in 2006, it is equally as old as 360 in terms of tech.

Wave goodbye to last gen.

PS4 and Xbox One are entering their prime.

Whompa02

Wasn't there a thread about how much high voltage sucks?

Guess this is just another feather in the cap for these game dev philistines.

Inuhanyou

I'm honestly shocked Microsoft is still trying to make Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 happen. Even all the pre-order content EXCLUDES the 360 version and is only for the Xbox One.

I would not be surprised to see it dropped at the 11th hour.

As for Mortal Kombat... Bring on Unreal Engine 4.0.

Yep. Its even worse than this situation because atleast Warner had a low tier studio on it so they could cancel it without much repercussion. Nixxes is super high profile and talented, your essentially just wasting their time on this crap, when they could be porting the PC and PS4 versions in the meantime, optimizing everything to a fine polish.

I can tell ya now TR is probably gonna sell next to nothing on XB360 because MS doesn't even bother to push that version over XB1 and doesn't even really mention it. Why even have it for 360 to begin with

Garlador

Yep. Its even worse than this situation because atleast Warner had a low tier studio on it so they could cancel it without much repercussion. Nixxes is super high profile and talented, your essentially just wasting their time on this crap, when they could be porting the PC and PS4 versions in the meantime, optimizing everything to a fine polish.

I can tell ya now TR is probably gonna sell next to nothing on XB360 because MS doesn't even bother to push that version over XB1 and doesn't even really mention it. Why even have it for 360 to begin with

I imagine it was for the same reason there was going to be PS3 and 360 versions of MKX.

Remember, when these were starting development, the new systems weren't out yet, or had only just begun selling. The install base of the 360 and PS3 combined was gargantuan while the new systems were unknowns. A business would look at the millions of last-gen owners and view them as a safe investment while PS4 and Xbox One were unknowns and much riskier bets.

At the time of their announcement, last-gen versions were the safest bet.

But the landscape changed and the adoption rate of current-gen hardware was much faster than anticipated, and the abandonment of last-gen versions much faster than it was from PS2 to PS3 and Xbox to Xbox 360.

So, when they announced these over a year ago, they simply didn't know the last-gen was going to be so obsolete, but they had already committed themselves to doing them. The landscape is different now than it was when they promised those versions would come out.

250px-High_Voltage_Software_logo.svg.png

Inuhanyou

I imagine it was for the same reason there was going to be PS3 and 360 versions of MKX.

Remember, when these were starting development, the new systems weren't out yet, or had only just begun selling. The install base of the 360 and PS3 combined was gargantuan while the new systems were unknowns. A business would look at the millions of last-gen owners and view them as a safe investment while PS4 and Xbox One were unknowns and much riskier bets.

At the time of their announcement, last-gen versions were the safest bet.

But the landscape changed and the adoption rate of current-gen hardware was much faster than anticipated, and the abandonment of last-gen versions much faster than it was from PS2 to PS3 and Xbox to Xbox 360.

So, when they announced these over a year ago, they simply didn't know the last-gen was going to be so obsolete, but they had already committed themselves to doing them. The landscape is different now than it was when they promised those versions would come out.

Your 100% correct on all of this, sure. But that still doesn't stop it from being a shitty situation :l

ZhugeEX

Banned
Software sales of generation 7 games have dropped like a rock since last year.

It's an absolute turnaround compared to gen 5 and gen 6 when new consoles launched but games continued to sell well.

A lot of this is because users have already moved to next gen or have got bored of their gen 7 console because the gen has gone on too long.

Hardware sales have dropped as well because the price is not cheap enough and there really isn't much point investing in the older consoles now.

The last PS2 game released in 2013 I think, PES14? 13 years after the PS2. But I don't expect new PS3 releases to be around much longer tbh,

Son Of D

Not surprised. After the second delay I highly expected a cancellation. And seeing that it was High Voltage it sounds like it's for the best.

Compbros

see, they could've done MKX on UE4 now.

now we'll have to wait till MKXI.

WB was contracted with Epic so that in house developers (namely Rocksteady and Netherrealm) had to use Unreal Engine 3 until 2014.

The development software will be available for any team developing a Warner-published game across PC, console and mobile platforms and, through 2014, will be the exclusive game engine used on projects being developed by Rocksteady Studios who are currently working on Batman: Arkham City and developed the critically acclaimed hit Batman: Arkham Asylum for WBIE/DC Entertainment, and NetherRealm Studios, the team behind award-winning Mortal Kombat franchise for WBIE.

https://www.unrealengine.com/news/w...rtainment-licenses-epic-games-unreal-engine-3

After High Voltage got the boot for PC MKX (another porting company which the name escape me is supposed to be on this project now according to steamdb) this doesn't surprise me. But I'm glad WB decided to cancel it rather than ship another High Voltage turd. I had my lesson learned from MKX, never buying a NRS game that isn't made in-house again.

High Voltage needs to do something to turn their company around. This is the second time I've heard of their ports not living up to standard, and having something like their version of MKX cancelled won't look good for them in future negotiations.

robotrock

Banned
After High Voltage got the boot for PC MKX (another porting company which the name escape me is supposed to be on this project now according to steamdb) this doesn't surprise me. But I'm glad WB decided to cancel it rather than ship another High Voltage turd. I had my lesson learned from MKX, never buying a NRS game that isn't made in-house again.

QLOC!!!

Top Bottom