• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360/PS3 Versions of Mortal Kombat X Have Been Canceled

hao chi

Good riddance i don't want the online population split across another 2 extra platforms.

It would at worst have the most minuscule affect on the current gen populations. Who's going to spend their time playing the last gen version if they have a current gen console, and could just buy the game for current gen instead?

RowdyReverb

I'm not surprised. I wonder if other cross gen titles will follow suit. It seems like a lot of the most active consumers have migrated to current gen. EA and Ubisoft have already mostly abandoned last gen.
I think MGS V and RotTR will be their last hurrah aside from the major annualized multiplayer franchises.

Card Boy

Banned
It would at worst have the most minuscule affect on the current gen populations. Who's going to spend their time playing the last gen version if they have a current gen console, and could just buy the game for current gen instead?

As an Aussie i need all the players i can get playing the version i have. I don't have the luxury of living in a country with 320 million people surrounded by other countries with similar latency.

Visually it's a massive step up from MK9, and it runs at a stable 60fps. The fatalities are insanely detailed/gruesome because they actually modeled realistic organs. I am willing to bet they were able to downgrade the graphics a bit but couldn't maintain a constant 60fps, which is a must for fighting games since timing for combos is extremely important. Other HVS ports have had massive framerate problems, like ZOE HD and Saints Row 4 Re-Elected.

I still can't believe they were put in charge of a port of ZoE.

The fact another developer had to come in and clean up the mess should have pretty much killed HVS right there.... but on and on they go.

hao chi

As an Aussie i need all the players i can get playing the version i have. I don't have the luxury of living in a country with 320 million people surrounded by other countries with similar latency.

Be that as it may, the last gen versions wouldn't have taken players away from the current gen population.

SlickVic

I never found anything confirming QLOC took over. However, the folks on the Steam forums and the MKX Subreddit seem to largely be in agreement that the game runs pretty well now offline on PC (honestly difficult to gauge online at this point since so many probably gave up trying) so it's very possible they got a competent studio to come in and fix as much of the damage as they could. Cancelling HVS's port work on last gen versions could be WB's was of thinking "enough of our fan base has already moved on to newer hardware that we don't really need another bad PR hit from another shoddy port" and perhaps their way of permanently cutting ties with HVS.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NRS only worked on the PS4 and XB1 versions, so I'm not sure how that applies at all.

He means that the game may have been better if it weren't designed with the PS360 in mind. From the moment the game entered development, there was an understanding that whatever was going into it had be possible on the PS360, too.

Ridley327

He means that the game may have been better if it weren't designed with the PS360 in mind. From the moment the game entered development, there was an understanding that whatever was going into it had be possible on the PS360, too.

Wouldn't these ports have actually come out if that was the case, though? I mean, it is High Voltage, but I can't imagine them having trouble with a fighting game port unless NRS never considered last gen when they were doing their design, which seems to be what happened here.

@MUWANdo

Banned

NRS's position on this game was always "we are designing for next-gen, let the other team work out how to port it to PS360".

Ridley327

NRS's position on this game was always "we are designing for next-gen, let the other team work out how to port it to PS360".

I thought I remembered them saying this. It's exactly what happened with Shadow of Mordor, although that had the misfortune of actually releasing on last gen hardware in all its horror.

JaseC

It makes for nice PR, but WB wasn't going to greenlight one game only to have to essentially make another for the PS360. "Downporting" was always the intention.

SirNinja

I had no idea last-gen versions were even in development. I'm glad they decided not to release a poor-quality product just in the hopes of getting a little extra cash.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It makes for nice PR, but WB wasn't going to greenlight one game only to have to essentially make another for the PS360. "Downporting" was always the intention.

Well, they did so for MK9/Injustice on Vita, but I guess they had Sony greasing the wheels in those instances. Even so, those versions show what NRS (and Armature) could achieve with lower specs, so I suspect the issue here was specific to HVS.

JaseC

I had no idea last-gen versions were even in development. I'm glad they decided not to release a poor-quality product just in the hopes of getting a little extra cash.

I have to admit, I had a bit of a "Wait, what?" moment when I read the title, too.

Well, they did so for MK9/Injustice on Vita, but I guess they had Sony greasing the wheels in those instances. Even so, those versions show what NRS (and Armature) could achieve with lower specs, so I suspect the issue here was specific to HVS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ports were cancelled due to a combination of data suggesting last-gen ports wouldn't sell enough for the investment to be considered worthwhile and WB cutting ties with HVS thanks to its history of failing to deliver.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

People always say "next gen is a game you cant do on previous gen". Well so far, that's been proven out by every game if your not willing to take a hit of fidelity.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if the ports were cancelled due to a combination of data suggesting last-gen ports wouldn't sell enough for the investment to be considered worthwhile and WB cutting ties with HVS thanks to its history of failing to deliver.

I think it would have done reasonably well if they'd managed to release it closer to launch, but once you've lost momentum it's hard to get it back. MK is huge in places like Brazil where a last-gen port would have been appreciated, I think.

jholmes

I'm not saying they should have announced the ports to begin with, but surely a company announcing ports and then just cancelling them isn't a good thing. I'm a bit surprised to see so many people stand up for this move.

Gurish

Visually it's a massive step up from MK9, and it runs at a stable 60fps. The fatalities are insanely detailed/gruesome because they actually modeled realistic organs. I am willing to bet they were able to downgrade the graphics a bit but couldn't maintain a constant 60fps, which is a must for fighting games since timing for combos is extremely important. Other HVS ports have had massive framerate problems, like ZOE HD and Saints Row 4 Re-Elected.

A massive step up? Am I remembering MK9 wrongly?

Wouldn't these ports have actually come out if that was the case, though? I mean, it is High Voltage, but I can't imagine them having trouble with a fighting game port unless NRS never considered last gen when they were doing their design, which seems to be what happened here.
Can you give me examples of what is impossible to do on last gen with MK10?
Seems like a prettier MK9.

robotrock

Banned
But all things considered, that was a bit of a dick move on WB's part.

It sucks that they couldn't make it work right, but at least they aren't going to go out and launch two more broken versions of Mortal Kombat X!

(PC is fixed now but that was a rough launch)

shaowebb

Fuck High Voltage Studio ports. I got the PC version and its pretty well one of the biggest reasons why I don't play MKX now and I was pretty vested in that community. People need to stop outsourcing the ports...especially to those guys.

Plasma

Banned
The current versions could have potentially been better. Let last gen die already

I'm pretty sure that isn't true Netherrealm were always developing it for next gen consoles in mind and the idea was the port it down to 360/PS3 afterwards.

BiggNife

A massive step up? Am I remembering MK9 wrongly?

Can you give me examples of what is impossible to do on last gen with MK10?
Seems like a prettier MK9.

It's a pretty large improvement from a visual standpoint. (click the images to enlarge them for detail)

_id1429176449_343178_7.jpg

I don't think anything in MKX would be impossible to do on PS360, but it would definitely be difficult. The amount of detail in the fatalities is leagues above any of MK9's.

ImaginaryDecisiveEmperorshrimp.gif

And the biggest thing for a fighting game port (as I mentioned before) is that it needs to maintain a stable 60fps. I do think it's possible to downgrade MKX to the point where it could at least be playable on PS360, but I doubt HVS could maintain a stable framerate and I'm willing to guess that's the main reason it was canned.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true Netherrealm were always developing it for next gen consoles in mind and the idea was the port it down to 360/PS3 afterwards.

Yes. Boon very plainly said in interviews that they weren't thinking about PS360 at all when developing MKX and that they would leave that to the porting team.

FyreWulff

They couldn't get two characters rendered on a single screen on platforms with plenty of fighters that run 60fps?

Yeah, I don't think this was a rendering issue.

Top Bottom