• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concrete Revolutio S1 &S2 |OT| More interesting than anything Marvel is putting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
cblwexz.jpg

Title: Concrete Revolutio - The Last Song

What is it?
The stage is set in “another Japan” as a banquet of diverse superhumans unfolds…

In an imaginary "age of gods" about 20 years after the war, Japan has grown and developed by leaps and bounds. What if all the superhumans ever written about in fictional stories existed at the same time? Superhumans who came into existence through different circumstances, and who are special in different ways -- Titans from outer space, lifeforms from a mystical world, phantoms and goblins from ancient times, cyborgs created by scientists, relics that rose out of the ruins of ancient civilizations, and the list goes on. One segment of these superhumans makes no secret of their existence and has gained popularity in society. Others cloak their identities and fight in secrecy. There are enemies of superhumans as well, organizations that operate in the shadows.

The Japanese government has taken many measures to secure peace and order. One is the establishment of an organization under the Ministry of Health and Welfare -- the Overpopulation Research Laboratory, a.k.a. the Superhuman Bureau. Their mission is to identify and approach suerhumans, then oversee and safeguard them. One member of the Superhuman Bureau, Jiro Hitoyoshi, is the protagonist of this series.

Why Should I Care?

This is a big new project from the director and writer of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003. This is being produced by BONES and has high quality production values. Some of the references being cited by the writer are Watchmen and George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards. This is supposed to be a Japanese take on Watchmen in that it's a present day which was impacted by the introduction of the supernatural in the past. The show will feature Showa insert songs and is diversified on the music side. Not to mention it's from duckroll's favorite studio and his favorite writer. It also has mecha and magical girls.

If you're looking for an ambitious superhero drama, then you're in the right place.

Staff-

YQapLLt.jpg

Director: The Director from Shirobako
Seiji Mizushima
(Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, Gundam 00, Jiggly Jiggly Heaven)
Writer: Shou Aikawa (Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, Martian Successor Nadesico)
Music: Monaca
Chief Mechanical Animation Director: Ken Ootsuka (Eureka 7, Gundam Build Fighters, Gundam 00)
Chief Animation Director/Character Designs: Yoshiyuki Ito (Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, Soul Eater, Samurai Champloo, Space Dandy)
Art Director: Hiroki Matsumoto (Corpse Princess, Strike Witches)
Production Studio: BONES (Fullmetal Alchemist, Space Dandy, Wolf's Rain, Soul Eater, Eureka Seven)
Opening Theme: "Warireru Dōkoku" (割レル慟哭; Smashing Lamentation) by ZAQ
Closing Theme: "ALL-WAYS" by Yohske Yamamoto feat. Nami Tamaki

SvGWTew.jpg

iOQe3eQ.jpg

PV 1 | PV 2 (Both subtitled)

Airing: Sundays at 9:00 A.M. EST starting April 3, 2016
Streaming: Daisuki/Funimation
Japanese Website: http://www.concreterevolutio.com/
English Website: http://concreterevolutio.com/en/index.html

https://a.pomf.cat/tgwvfv.webm

----------------
K81zGM4.jpg

Crocodile

Well the chief animators all look like a talented bunch but its a shame this isn't actually Japanese Watchmen like I thought it would be. A Japanese take on that concept (with the corresponding level of "maturity" and gravitas) would be fascinating even if it didn't end up being good. Here's hoping this show doesn't shit the bed. It seems like the type of show that could have strong international appeal if its good.

Ok I take back what I said about this being written by the 00 director and E7AO writer.

This is going to be amazing from that robot unicorn car alone.

I generally don't bother watching anime these days until I can grab the full season (or big chunks of it) dubbed, but I'll definitely make time for another Mizushima/Aikawa joint. Loved their work on FMA 2003, and this looks fun.

Pein

Banned
Hope this turns out really good, FMA 2003 is on of my favorite anime ever and them dudes really knew how to make the original parts good.

near

Gold Member
Really? How could you not appreciate glorious high quality shows like Eureka Seven AO, Soul Eater Not, and Captain Earth? I simply cannot understand!

The last Bones project I really enjoyed was Star Driver, I didn't bother with Soul Eater Not because I couldn't get into the first Soul Eater. Captain Earth was okay, but not memorable, and Eureka Seven AO I just couldn't finish. Not sure what it is exactly but I've gone from being Bones' biggest fan to not really caring about any of there projects, this one however does look very appealing.

Did you watch Noragami?

I watched only the first episode and gave up. lol ¬_¬

Ushay

What's the air date on this? Crunchyroll? Plus I hope that isn't the entire cast/characters.

Robo Horse looks awesome though.

Crocodile

Really? How could you not appreciate glorious high quality shows like Eureka Seven AO, Soul Eater Not, and Captain Earth? I simply cannot understand!

C'mon man, no need to lay the troll on so thick. I mean Space Dandy and Noragami (though others like it more than I did) were released in the last 12-18 months. I've also enjoyed Blood Blockade Battlefront even though I know not everybody loves that show. Some BONES Super Fan you are *pouts*

duckroll

C'mon man, no need to lay the troll on so thick. I mean Space Dandy and Noragami (though others like it more than I did) were released in the last 12-18 months. I've also enjoyed Blood Blockade Battlefront even though I know not everybody loves that show. Some BONES Super Fan you are *pouts*

I was just being bitter. :(

I'm looking forward to Noragami S2 very much!

What's the air date on this? Crunchyroll? Plus I hope that isn't the entire cast/characters.

Robo Horse looks awesome though.

Apparently It will air next Sunday on Daisuki (free service, check for yourself if their video player works fine for you).

I think you get HD if you sign up for a free account.

KPJZKC

I have to say I'm struggling to see the link with the Watchmen...unless they missed the point of it entirely.

Will give it a watch and see how it turns out.

Ushay

Sounds an awful lot like Boku no Hero Academia.. no? Although that hasn't been animated yet, inevitably it will based on its popularity.

Good (?) news for Jarmel: http://concreterevolutio.com/special/index.html

They've just revealed that Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) and Masaki Tsuji are both also on the writing staff for the show. So it's not just Aikawa! :p

Oh that's actually nice to hear, I hope some of the Gurren Lagann hype will carry over to this!

Is there anything worthwhile that the second guy made? I didn't recognize anything he did when I looked at MAL.

Bones most underrated work is Ghost Slayers Ayashi. I needed the original 52 episodes but audiences weren't ready to face a dark period in their history with a supernatural twist.

I really hate those color schemes. 90% switched over to those weird blue/purple colors since Steins Gate and that ruined Anime for me

Jarmel

Banned
Wonder why the OP created the thread when he hates Aikawa so much. Lol.

I was trying to dodge work last night. :(

Good (?) news for Jarmel: http://concreterevolutio.com/special/index.html

They've just revealed that Kazuki Nakashima (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill) and Masaki Tsuji are both also on the writing staff for the show. So it's not just Aikawa! :p

Well this is right up Nakashima's ballpark so that's good news although I imagine him and Tsuji are going to be mainly episode directors.

As for Tsuji, I'm not familiar enough witht him to postulate on his quality.

So I've been wanting to ask this for a while but what's so bad about Shou Aikawa? I'd say I'm pretty new to anime in general so I've seen none of his works, aside from FMA which I liked, I do think Brotherhood is better though.

But what is it that he does wrong? Is his writing just plain bad or boring? Is he actually a bad writer in the first place?

duckroll

Aikawa is a pretty creative writer with a personal interest in history and alternative scifi. But he has a habit of overpromising and underdelivering in terms of plot foreshadowing and thematic points. Personally I liken him to someone like Damon Lindelof, but in the anime space. He has a lot of promising ideas and concepts which he can pitch really well, and he is well connected with established directors and producers who have worked with him on successful works in the past, but while his works can get a lot of attention and fans, just as often they result in disappointment and a feeling that there could be something much better there.

And how would his writing style affect this project? Just looking at it I don't think that this show is going for "plot foreshadowing and thematic points".
I mean, just reading the summary it kinda looks like this show is mainly going to be some fun/hype villian of the week thing that heavily relies on the mishmash of superpowers, not some complex story with deep characters.

I probably have the wrong expectations of this show though, I guess we'll see on Sunday.

Jarmel

Banned
And how would his writing style affect this project? Just looking at it I don't think that this show is going for "plot foreshadowing and thematic points".
I mean, just reading the summary it kinda looks like this show is mainly going to be some fun/hype villian of the week thing that heavily relies on the mishmash of superpowers, not some complex story with deep characters.

I probably have the wrong expectations of this show though, I guess we'll see on Sunday.

Aikawa and Mizushima love to do political bents on their works. Gundam 00 for example tried to tackle terrorism in a post 9/11 word. FMA '03 was about the manipulation of war for economic and social gain. E7 AO had a bunch of nonsense garbage about media manipulation.

The show absolutely will have government conspiracies and will generally get darker as it progresses. The trailers even hint at that in that the protagonists have to possibly kill certain superhumans.

As for how Aikawa will possibly fuck this up, who knows?

duckroll

I think expecting something totally episodic and just "fun" from Aikawa would a mistake because themes are very important to him, and he does like to come up with stories where everything is somewhat connected while the plot teases the viewers into guessing what will happen next.

For this particular series, he's drawing on two things - his love for the impact Japanese flavored heroes have historically made in pop culture, and his desire to take that and apply it to a formula the west has successfully done several times - in the vein of Watchman, Wild Cards, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Marvels, etc. The running theme here is "superheroes in reality". Taking a modern day real world setting, with all the politics and social issues relevant to reality, and apply "what if superheroes started showing up" to it. How would the world react, and would these heroes make the world a better or worse place?

Given the premise, there will certainly be episodic stories, because it would be a waste not to tell those, but there will certainly be an overall story arc linking everything together, and there will probably be lots of political and social commentary, which is another thing Aikawa likes to infuse in his works.

Dio

Banned
It's kind of disingenuous to say that this is from the staff of FMA. You're technically right, in that the staff of the original FMA anime is involved, but FMA was an adaptation of a story, aka the FMA manga (Hiromu Arakawa) which is where the story came from.

This means you have people like this guy:

FMA is tied with Claymore as my all time fave anime,

Cautiously optimistic

who just sees "Oh, I liked FMA, hope this is good!"

Jarmel

Banned
It's kind of disingenuous to say that this is from the staff of FMA. You're technically right, in that the staff of the original FMA anime is involved, but FMA was an adaptation of a story, aka the FMA manga (Hiromu Arakawa) which is where the story came from.

This means you have people like this guy:

who just sees "Oh, I liked FMA, hope this is good!"

If you were referring to Brotherhood I might understand. However 2003 was very much its own beast and much of it was Aikada/Mizushima's creation. It's not misleading at all.

cntr

Banned
Most of the 2003 anime was original, and separate from the manga. Arakawa didn't input anything into the plot beyond approving it, and the manga goes in a diffferent incompatible direction.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm digging the first PV. Will definitely check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom