• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concrete Revolutio S1 &S2 |OT| More interesting than anything Marvel is putting out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't have any luck finding an index of jp airfield configurations when I tried to figure out that GaGon bit but if you think it's Guadalcanal, you might have better luck than I given how specific your search would be . Great list!

Oh, I never really compared the airport layout in ConRevo with a real one.

Some googling based on my Guadalcanal assumption uncovered this.

http://historylink101.com/wwII_b-w/marines/GuadalcanalHendersonField/PICT2973.html

PICT2973.jpg

lb87tFoh.jpg

The airport in ConRevo

100% confident in that point right now, thanks for the idea!

duckroll

Here's another contribution to the list:

Shinka 29, November - Jiro's rampage as a kid that destroyed the city
Showa 29 (1954), November - Godzilla is released in cinemas around Japan

Here's another contribution to the list:

Shinka 29, November - Jiro's rampage as a kid that destroyed the city
Showa 29 (1954), November - Godzilla is released in cinemas around Japan

Yeah, in the same trend Kikko's first episode and the debut of the Sally the Witch manga allign with each other, July 1966.

Narag

Pop culture references finally let me figure out why the official timeline has Earth-chan appearing April 26 Shinka. That's Showa 26/1951.

Atom (known as Astro Boy or just Astro in the dub) originally appeared as a supporting character in the comic Atom Taishi (Ambassador Atom, sometimes referred to as Captain Atom), which appeared in Shonen, a monthly magazine for boys, in April 1951

Narag

Ultra Q (ウルトラQ Urutora Kyū?) is a tokusatsu science fiction/kaiju series made in the tradition of Toho's many tokusatsu sci-fi/horror films.

Produced in black and white by Tokyo Broadcasting System/Tsuburaya Productions, this is actually the first of the long-running Ultra Series, and was broadcast on Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) from January 2 to July 3, 1966 (the final episode was preempted until December 14, 1967), with a total of 28 episodes. This series was followed two weeks later by the more popular Ultraman (Urutoraman, 1966), the second Ultra Series.

Grosse Augen first appeared in Jan Shinka 41/Showa 41/1966 and was supplanted in July of that year.

Ultraman (ウルトラマン Urutoraman?) is a Japanese Tokusatsu television series that first aired in 1966. Ultraman is a follow-up to the television series Ultra Q, though not technically a sequel or spin-off. The show was produced by the Tsuburaya Productions, and was broadcast on Tokyo Broadcasting System (TBS) from July 17, 1966

That's July Showa 41/Shinka 41 which is where the kaiju fighting "S" Planetarian takes over where Grosse Augen left off.

Future scenes in the first episode take place in April Shinka 46/Showa 46/1971. The Return of Ultraman debuted on April 2, 1971.

Narag

Rainbow Knight is apparently a Moonlight Mask expy.

Where as Super Giant is Japan's first celluloid superhero (i.e.: he had debuted in movies), it was Moonlight Mask who set the standard as Japan's first live-action TV superhero, and was a huge success with children. Television was already new in Japan, so many children that didn't have a TV set were gathered around to watch it at a friend or neighbor's house. Children also bought toy capes, sunglasses, masks and pistols and played Moonlight Mask in schoolyards and backyards

This is Jiro to a T.

Decked out in white tights, white & red cape, white scarf, yellow gloves & boots, dark glasses, face cloth and Indian-style turban (pinned with a "moon" ornament), Moonlight Mask is armed with a whip, two six-shooters, shuriken and moon-shaped boomerangs. He also rides a motorcycle.

One of the movies is called Moonlight Mask - The Claw of Satan which fits the Eye of Lucifer villain naming scheme. According to wikipedia, one of the tv arcs featured tv's first daikaiju named Mammoth Kong. Assuming the movie titled Moonlight Mask - The Monster Kong is about something similar, that came out in 1959 which is the same year Rainbow Knight killed Giganto Gon.

Liability issues and cancellation
Ironically, as is the case with every[citation needed] super-hero idolized by children (especially Superman and Super Giant)[citation needed], children themselves become victims of the many liability issues surrounding them (i.e. imitating the hero's dangerous & impossible feats), and Moonlight Mask was no exception. Because of the jumping death of a boy imitating Moonlight Mask's dangerous stunts, the show was unfortunately cancelled on July 5, 1959, after the end of the final story arc,

Liberal interpretation could tie Rainbow Knight's end to Moonlight Mask's due to the mutural endangerment of children. That's fairly specious though as Rainbow Knight dies in 1963

Or does he?!

Fortunately, this would not be the end of Moonlight Mask. He made his return to Japanese TV 13 years later.

I will lose my shit if this happens.

duckroll

Yes there's no question Rainbow Knight is Moonlight Mask, just like how Megashinn is Kikaider (Shinka 47 activation via merge, Showa 47 Kikaider premier). Earth-chan being Astroboy is something that's SO obvious I want to hit myself for not seeing it though.

Narag

Yes there's no question Rainbow Knight is Moonlight Mask, just like how Megashinn is Kikaider (Shinka 47 activation via merge, Showa 47 Kikaider premier). Earth-chan being Astroboy is something that's SO obvious I want to hit myself for not seeing it though.

This is where you have a leg up on me as I've practically no knowledge of the live action stuff nor its cultural impact. Digging stuff up is proving to be educational.

duckroll

This is where you have a leg up on me as I've practically no knowledge of the live action stuff nor its cultural impact. Digging stuff up is proving to be educational.

Hey, Kikaider is anime too! Directed by Okamura! You have no excuse!

duckroll

I wonder if the show will manage to get to Shinka 50 by the end of season 2. It'll be nice to see how they reimagine the birth of super sentai in this alternate reality.

Concrete Revolutio and Real World events Part Two

Be aware of spoilers

Master Ultima tries to dock a team of beasts at Japan's port / The docking of American nuclear ships in Japanese harbors
Summer, the 42nd of the Shinka Era / ~1960 and forward
Episode #07 Let's Go Past the Sky and the Stars

Because Jiro only mentions the season in which this incident took place I'm not really confident in giving a concrete parralel to real life. I'm pretty sure that it's referencing the docking of these nuclear subs though.

For those interested in this subject I found these two sources that go into much more detail than I can. Hopefully they'll give you some more insight of the zeitgeist of the general Japanese populace at that time.

[Source 1]
http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/2443/7/07chapter5.pdf

This source further explains protests against the docking of the USS Enterprise in January 1968. Obviously the dates don't match up although the same source does mention this

Japan was informed about a visit in September 1967 but it was not until December 31 that the
actual date for the port call was set. The Enterprise entered the port January 18 and departed on
January 23

This is closer to what we see in Concrete Revolutio, it also mentions the Haneda Airport incident which we'll cover in the next point!

[Source 2]
http://www.nautilus.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Japan-Under-the-US-Nuclear-Umbrella.pdf

I haven't been able to read this one thoroughly myself but a bit of scanning allowed me to find some interesting points in this article.

Allegations that the United States brought nuclear weapons into Japan despite the Japanese ban against nuclear weapons in its territory were frequent during the Cold War. Such allegations were always denied by Japanese governments.
~~~~~~~~~~
Contingency plans existed in 1967 for deployment of the Genie air-to-air missile to
Japan. Although the Genie missile is dual-capable, the documents clearly identify the
missiles that would be deployed under these contingencies as nuclear missiles. This
represents the first association of nuclear-armed Genie missiles with Japanese
deployment. The details of the contingencies under which the missiles would be deployed
remain classified.
~~~~~~~~~
Nuclear Submarine Visit Number of Protestors
USS Snook (SSN-592), May 1966: 51,800
USS Seadragon (SSN-584), September 1966: 16,884
USS Sculpin (SSN-590), March 1967: 9,245
USS Barb (SSN-596), June 1967: 8,334

The last one would actually line up with what we see in the show.

Note: I don't think it would be right for me to pin the event in ConRevo on one of these in particular. The show has a neat attention to detail but for some reason it's kinda vague with this event by just stating a season instead of an month. I'm also basing a lot on Jiro's words but true intentions might have been lost in translation. I still figured I'd share this pont though just because it covers the zeitgeist and is an interesting subject. Take it with a grain of salt though until I stumble upon a decisive source.

-----------------------------------------------

Protesters try to prevent the Japanese Prime Minister from participating in the Earth Defense Corps / Activists try to forcibly prevent Prime Minister Eisaku Satō's departure from Haneda Airport for Saigon
October, the 42nd of the Shinka Era / 8 October 1967
Episode #07 Let's Go Past the Sky and the Stars

y0ILAcQ.jpg

Do note that picture 2 and 3 may be considered NSFW
More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

[Source 1]
http://www.jag.ucla.edu/marotti_ahr.114.1.pdf

IN THE FALL OF 1967, A CHANGE OF TACTICS by a subgroup of student activists transformed the purpose and effectiveness of protests. Late the previous year, a coalition within Zengakuren, the All-Japan Federation of Student Self-Government Associations, united three groups in opposition to the quiescence of the majority Zengakuren group, Minsei, an affiliate of the equally quiescent Japan Communist Party

(JCP).14 On October 8, 1967, activists in this Three-Faction Alliance, Sanpa Zengakuren, attempted to forcibly prevent Prime Minister Sato Eisaku’s departure from
Haneda Airport for Saigon, part of his second tour of Southeast Asia.15 Helmeted Sanpa members armed with lengths of timber and rocks fought riot police [kidotai], who were outfitted with their standard meter-long truncheons, duralumin shields, visored helmets, tear gas guns, water cannons, and armored vehicles. On the three bridges that provided access to the airport, both sides also made aggressive use of the security forces’ bus-sized vehicles.16 During the fighting on Bentenbashi Bridge,
where most of the members of the Nucleus Faction, Chukaku-ha, were initially concentrated, a Kyoto University student named Yamazaki Hiroaki was killed by one of these vehicles, said to have been driven by a fellow student.17 In the end, the prime minister departed for Saigon as planned; official figures indicated some 600 police and 100 student injuries, and some 50 arrests

A very educational article that refers to a lot of other sources, big thanks to Narag for sharing it with us!

[Source 2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eisaku_Satō

For those who want to know more about the Prime Minister at that time.

-----------------------------------------------

A further look at episode #09

Outside of the capture of Monoru Hatakeyama this episode is really weird in the way it handles some events. Mainly because all of them don't line up. Even with that being the case, I still think it's worth mentioning that there are a bunch of historic events that heavily correspond with what we see in episode nine. But like I said, the dates don't match.

Important events

1. An Ether plant explodes in Kawasaki: October, the 42nd of the Shinka Era

This heavily lines up with the explosion of the Showa Denko factory in Kawasaki.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/昭和電工川崎工場爆発事故 (you can machine translate this)

So our big problem here is that the real explosion happened in June, 1964. In Concrete Revolutio the explosion takes place three years later. However, if I interpreted the Wikipedia page correctly, the real accident happened on 15:10 which lies pretty closely to the time we got in ConRevo

2. Minoru Hatekayama returns to Japan: September, the 44th of the Shinka Era

According to this Wikipedia article, Sakamaki got repatriated to Japan at the end of the war. After the war he worked in Brazil, returning to Japan in 1983. Shinka 44 is actually 1969, interesting enough the Wikipedia mentions that date. But it's only about him working in Brazil so I'm not 100% sure if it actually means something.

3. The Bio Destroyer attempts to eradicate the Immortal Family by dumping chemicals in the river: September, the 44th of the Shinka Era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Showa_Denko

1968. Dumped mercury in the Agano River, which caused widespread mercury poisoning

Much closer to 1969 but still not close enough, I'm not sure if the Agano River actually flows through the location we see in the show. While the date matches, having a robot come from America to dillute the river is a bit different from a Japanese company doing it and opens the way to a lot of other viewpoints in which you can place the event.

Although the fact that it's once again Showa Denko is very interesting nonetheless.

Note: I think it's worth to research both the inspirations of the Immortal Family (Sazae-san) and the Bio-Destroyer (Optimus Prime???) to see whether the ConRevo dates line up with those shows

-------------------

Well, that's all for today guys, I had a lot of fun digging these up. I hope that me posting my discoveries regularly spawns some discussion here, at the end of the day I'm probably not fully able to thoroughly analyse all the events so there will be some things here and there. At the very least I'm going to cover ten more points.

I'll have time to do more of these during the weekend. I hope I didn't raise more questions than that I answered with some of the more "vague" events today.

See you next time!

Tizoc

This is my first time learning or this show o_O
Overall tho how has it been? Any weak eoisodes or story arcs?

This is my first time learning or this show o_O
Overall tho how has it been? Any weak eoisodes or story arcs?

Due to the fact that it features a lot of historical details and gives some nice perspectives on what is Good, Bad and Justice it's an interesting show to research.

However, a lot of people who watched this show while it was airing bailed out due to it being a bit too confusing and ambitious. Mainly because the show has a very fractured timeline with a lot of flashbacks and flash forwards.

As to whether it's worth watching, it depends I guess. At any rate this definitely isn't for everyone and even though I've grown to like it over the past months I still wouldn't recommend it. At least not right now, this is because a second season will air in the Spring which has to deliver on a lot of the story-points brought up by the first season so it could end up in a dissapointment.

Just wait after that airs and try to gauge the general perception of the show as a whole. You can also watch the first episode and see what you think of it. While it isn't an exactly strong episode it's pretty representative of the content of the first season.

Edit: If you're looking for some recommendations, the Anime of the Year 2015 thread might be worth your while
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178856

I wonder if the show will manage to get to Shinka 50 by the end of season 2. It'll be nice to see how they reimagine the birth of super sentai in this alternate reality.

I really hope it goes up to 1986 so we can have the Watchmen appearing.

duckroll

Speculation time about possible S2 stuff linked to history/pop culture:

November 1971 (Showa 46) - Okinawa Reversion Agreement

January 1972 (Showa 47) - Moonlight Mask anime begins, return of Moonlight Mask after 13 years

February 1972 (Showa 47) - 1972 Winter Olympics held in Sapporo

June 1972 (Showa 47) - Devilman manga begins (anime begins in July)

April 1973 (Showa 48) - Doraemon anime begins

August 1973 (Showa 48) - Kim Dae-jung kidnapped in Tokyo

October 1973 (Showa 48) - Cutie Honey manga and anime begins

October 1973 (Showa 48) - Casshern anime begins

November 1973 (Showa 48) - Japan dragged into the 1973 Oil Crisis

October 1974 (Showa 49) - Space Battleship Yamato anime begins

April 1975 (Showa 50) - Gorenger begins, first super sentai series ever

July 1975 (Showa 50) - Tekkaman anime begins

July 1975 (Showa 50) - Expo '75 World's Fair held on Okinawa

January 1977 (Showa 52) - Space Pirate Captain Harlock manga begins

Narag

Good list.

Concerned that Jiro disguising himself as Rainbow Knight in episode 8 will have alraedy fulfilled the Moonlight Mask returns bit. '72 Olympics is what Raito was intending to use Megasshin against iirc too so that might not come back up. Sentai and the Okinawa stuff feels too important to not get covered given everything else that has already.

Looks like we might head to space too. No doubt the show will end with Jiro replacing Master Ultima and becoming the new protector of earth as NotHarlock on the NotYamato/NotArcadia.

duckroll

Speaking of space...

June 1972 (Showa 47) - Tsukuba Space Center established
September 1975 (Showa 50) - Engineering Test Satellite "Kiku-1" launched

Okay, I'm sold. I'm also not surprised at the stuff uncovered in here. FMA 2003 was insanely intelligent and detailed in its subtext, and even referenced Stanley Kubrick, who is notorious for the level of subtext, and hidden meanings and details in his work.

We'll need to try and guess which event(s) / character will be covered in Urobochi's episode.

Now which fictional character suffered the most?

Speculation time about possible S2 stuff linked to history/pop culture:

February 1972 (Showa 47) - 1972 Winter Olympics held in Sapporo

I think Narag said that this happens in episode three with the Robot Detective. I haven't looked it up for myself though.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 8

Not going to write too much about this one but it does bring up two rather important things that play a part in the remainder of this first season and will likely figure into the second cour.

Helmets? Helmets.
In the 47 Shinka scenes we have Jiro discovering a mountain of helmets, some of which are damaged with the one he picks up leaking blood. This seems to imply they were probably seized by force. Why though? I like to think we see why towards the end of the series when Claude appears. He’s an immensely powerful character but his power is amplified through his helmet. There's a skull motif throughout that ties these helmets to Claude’s. Could these have been used to amplify the powers of superhumans?

Daitetsu appears wearing a helmet of his own which on its own isn’t all that impressive but when one compares his power four years prior, either it had grown immensely as he aged or it was amplified somehow.

Let’s use Earth-chan to represent scale. Normally wouldn’t do this sort of thing given how much free reign an animator might have during a cut but this show has been excellent about little details so I think it works. Image on the right is taken from episode 13. Despite the name, Gigander 7 isn’t all that big and I’m inclined to think that’s due to Daitetsu’s power level. On the right is 47 Shinka in episode 8 where a helmeted Daitetsu summons a robot that’s massively larger than Gigander 7. I feel like something’s amiss here in light of the Claude stuff later since if power levels grew with age, you’d think they could have just waited for his to grow as opposed to needing the helmet although that might be a function of limited time.

I’m also of the opinion that the helmet tech is related to Rainbow Knight given how prominent a role the masks played in this episode. When Magotake talks about Rainbow Knight’s powers and researching them, the cut where his helmet is the specific focus is used. As seen on the right, when the Fumers recover both the Eye of Lucifer and Rainbow Knight masks, they effectively confiscate them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this tied into a Sentai appearance down the line either as the show should be due one.

Jiro’s relationship with Rainbow Knight

This is mostly my speculation and could be a real reach but I’m starting to feel stronger about it as time goes on. Jiro has a strong affection and respect for Rainbow Knight and we finally get to see why in this ep. Despite Rainbow Knight apparently being a criminal in the eyes of the public, Jiro retains a firm belief in him in part due to meeting him during the GIganto Gon incident. When he saves Jiro then, he says he’s just an ally of justice and that acts as the counterpoint to the liberation Jiro felt watching Giganto Gon rampage in episode 5. It’s a very, very formative moment for him and it’s clear Jiro still believes in him. HIs own experience with him is similar to Daitetsu’s own warm recollections despite the perception he kidnapped kids for a ransom.

There’s something about Jiro’s characterization that’s always seemed off. We get that he’s this guy that has a firm belief system and that it was instilled in him by the hero he looked up to as a child, Rainbow Knight. There’s always been this question of motivation though as to why he pursues this path so relentlessly. What if it was fueled by an unforgivable sin in his eyes?

The above caps are from episode 12. It’s Claude relating events to Jiro that I think you have to take with a grain of salt. He was one of the kidnapped children himself but there’s no way he’d have firsthand knowledge of what happened. I fully believe Jiro was traumatized by the incident but that the incident didn’t play out like that at all. At this point, we know the conspiracy around Rainbow Knight was factual but Claude’s version of events doesn’t gel with Jiro’s own memory or Raito relating the event to Kikko.

The idea that the Rainbow Knight’s power suddenly went out of control after being surrounded by the police is really dubious. He’d been operating for years without apparent issue to this point . In fact, there’s only one person who’s been unable to control their powers with such destructive results at this point in the show.

Jiro’s a stoic character that only ever seems to be emotive when either remembering Rainbow Knight or suffering via the usage of his power. He’s also amazingly durable too given he wasn’t outright killed by the beast in episode 4 or during his arrival in Japan in episode 13. The only time he really suffers is after his power’s been unlocked and he’s seen to be out of action for a while.

Let’s see what we have here. Raito said someone's power lost control and resulted in an explosion which was the reason Rainbow Knight died. We see Jiro bleeding and under duress as he clutches his left arm which is where his power manifests. Magotake finds him before the police show up as none are actually present from what we see in Jiro’s memory but arrive shortly thereafter. Emi could have very well told Magotake where to find him. We know Jiro’s powers are hampered by physical locks bolstered by Emi’s magic but those locks weren’t always there as we saw in the beginning of episode 4. We also know there’s likely a reason they were put in place at some later date and that he has a reluctance to use this power, almost ashamed of it when he does though.

We also know Urobuchi is writing an episode in the second cour, has toku experience, and his fandom gave him the nickname of “Urobutcher” since he’s known for dealing in tragedy.

I guess what I’m saying is….

What if Jiro accidentally killed Rainbow Knight?

Timeline (as of this episode)

October 14 Shinka

Magotake Hitoyoshi discovers GaGon in the old ruins of an island in the Indian Ocean.

August 17 Shinka

American forces begin including superhumans in their war campaign in response to Japan’s use of GaGon.

November 29 Shinka

Jiro loses control of his power and rampages through Tokyo.

January 34 Shinka

Rainbow Knight kills Giganto Gon. Hiroyuki recovers a baby kaiju from its remains. Rainbow Knight rescues Jiro during GIganto Gon’s rampage.

July Shinka 40

Judas and the Diamond Eaters are stopped by Earth-chan during a robbery.

January Shinka 41

Beasts begin to appear around Japan. Grosse Augen appears to combat them.

June 41 Shinka

The comic band Mountain Horse develops powers after being exposed to the superhuman power of The Beatles performing at Budokan on June 30th.

July 41 Shinka

The members of Mountain Horse explore their new powers but opt to keep it secret as to not affect their careers.

In Ginza, Jiro enlists Kikko’s aid to stop a transaction between one of Japan’s top astronomers and an industrial spy who is revealed to be an alien known as “S” Planetarian. Hyoushi, Daishi, and Emi observe from a planetarium in Shibuya. Grosse Augen soon appears to combat the “S” Planetarian but is apprehended by Jiro with the help of Kikko and Emi. Jiro violates his mandate by not eliminating Grosse Augen but allowing its host to use the body of the “S” Planetarian.thereby saving the host’s life. The device being sold to the astronomer is shown to be easily affected by radio waves rendering its data unreliable. Daishi suspects the Gemini accident in the US was also the work of an “S” Planetarian in an effort to conceal the location of their home base in the Scorpio constellation.

August 41 Shinka

Earth-chan appears to defeat one of the first beasts made by Beastly Radio Wave Japan.

Fuurouta encounters the Black Fog after freeing Campe from a pet shop. He’s soon apprehended by the Superhuman Bureau who decide to keep a close watch on him. Realizing he can safely enter the Black Fog, he takes the virus the Superhuman Bureau had contemplated using and eradicates the Tartaros Bugmen aside from Campe who he inadvertently saves.

November 41 Shinka

Raito Shiba and the Superhuman Bureau independently investigate Beastly Radio Wave Japan.

February 42 Shinka

A bombing at the Haneda Airport catches Raito Shiba’s attention and he chooses to investigate as he feels it falls under the jurisdiction of the police force. The cause of the explosion is revealed to be the Type B Android Mieko Kohrogi. Raito learns of the existence of the Type A android and their function to combine to form the Ultimate Weapon which he assumes to be a bomb. He sets out to destroy her but offers her a place with him at the last minute, a life where she doesn’t have to become a weapon. She rejects him and apparently self-destructs in a nearby canal.

April 42 Shinka

Master Ultima returns from Mars. The Superhuman Bureau discovers the connection between the rising beast population and Beastly Radio Wave Japan. Jiro destroys their factory after being attacked by a beast.

July 42 Shinka

Imperial Ads sets out to popularize beasts in Japan at the behest of one of its senior advisors. The space beasts Master Ultima brought back from Mars have been repurposed as weapons of the U.S. military and stationed across the globe. Shoji Matsumoto recovers one of the dead American space beasts after it was allegedly disposed of near Kikaijima Island.

August 42 Shinka

MegaGon is created by injecting the space beast’s corpse with a blood derivative of Jiro’s.and its subsequent absorption of the young GaGon. The Superhuman Bureau attempts to destroy MegaGon via subterfuge at 1:30 am August 8th. They fail but Jiro appears to defeat a rampaging MegaGon.

September 42 Shinka

Earth-chan repels Master Ultima’s attempt to bring the U.S. military’s beasts into Japan.

October 42 Shinka

Fuurouta is assigned by the Superhuman Bureau to become Mountain Horse’s assistant in order to keep tabs on their boss.

Judas, a formerly evil superhuman, registers with the Superhuman Bureau despite Earth-chan’s attempt to stop him, believing he’d become evil once again. Protestors fight against Japan joining the global initiative Defense Force of Earth. Japan joins the DFE regardless.

November 42 Shinka

Angel Stars debut as officially sanctioned superhumans. Mountain Horse prevents chocolate laced with a drug that inhibits superhuman powers from being distributed but lose one of their members in doing so.

January 43 Shinka
The old nemesis of Rainbow Knight, Eye of Lucifer, appears to collect artifacts related to the Rainbow Knight. It’s revealed to be Yumihiko Otanashi aka Datetsu Maki after Jiro (disguised as Rainbow Knight) confronts him.

October 44 Shinka

Jiro attempts to recruit Mountain Horse who decline. He encounters Fuurouta but rather than fight, the two leave on amicable terms.

April 46 Shinka

Kikko and Fuuroouta encounter Jiro on a train. He escapes and Kikko pursues only to encounter Grosse Augen’s original host and learn how Jiro saved him five years prior.

February 47 Shinka

Type A android Kaoru Honda returns to Japan after 28 years but in military custody. Raito Shiba liberates him and takes him to the now inert form of Type B android Mieko Kohrogi. where he intends to have them form into what he believes to be a bomb that he would detonate at the Winter Sports Grand Prix in protest of the current government which he feels is corrupt. Jiro appears to reactivate the type B android, revealing the ultimate weapon to be a combination of the Type A and Type B androids now known as Megasshin. Raito and Jiro engage in combat directly after.

April 47 Shinka

Megasshin, Judas, and Jiro retrieve Earth-chan’s inert form from the Ikuta Laboratory.

October 47 Shinka
Jiro & Earth-chan confront Hyouma and the now grown Daitetsu Maki amidst a mountain of discarded helmets.

August 48 Shinka

Fuurouta faces the now grown Campe who seeks revenge on him for killing the Tartaros Bugmen. Jiro intervenes to save Fuurouta.

So about the title: when most people see "Concrete", they're going to think of the English word, either as the building material or the opposite of abstract. But given that "Revolutio" is a Latin word, "Concrete" is likely also supposed to be Latin, in which case it is a form of "concretus", meaning hardened. I wonder if this is meant to refer to Jiro being hardened by the events he goes through during the series, and more generally his world becoming harder, harsher, crueler. That's what leads him to desire a revolution, which is what I assume the second season will be focusing on.

The Black Fog Incident / Political distrust in Japan (Black Fog scandal)
August, the 41st of the Shinka Era / Later half of 1966
&
August, the 48th of the Shinka Era / 22 June, 1973
Episode #02 Inside the Black Fog

WNUHJp6.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/黒い霧事件_(政界) (You can machine translate this)

This one is pretty obvious if I do say so myself. There are a bunch of connections to be made although I won't go to deep into those as I'm not confident in the machine translation of the Wikipedia page. At the end of the day both the Minister of Transport and the Minister of Agriculture and Forestry got some heat during this time of distrust which fits nicely with what we see in the show. What's more is that some names of locations in Japan are mentioned during the episode. One of them being Kasumigaseki, which according to it's Wikipedia article houses a lot of government offices.

In 1973 the Tokyo Court convicted some suspects that were involved during this incident. This kinda lines up with the scene of Campe seeking revenge on Fuurouta. While Shinka 84 and 1973 are a match it's worth mentioning that the months don't match. Those being August in ConRevo while June in the real world. All of this could be a coincidence for all I know but I figured I'd share this as well.

Note: It would be nice if someone who speaks Japanese could translate the little articles in the Wikipedia page to readable English. Google Translate dropped the ball this time. Speaking about dropping the ball. The news report in this scene stops being subtitled after Kikko starts talking. I feel like I'm missing some context because of that as almost every sentence contains viable information.

------------------------------------

Jiro hallucinates about war while at the Nippon Budokan / the Vietnam War
June, the 41st of the Shinka Era, Nippon Budokan / November 1955 - April 1975
Episode #06 They are Always Lauging

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War

Almost forgot to include this but I figured I should add it just for the sake of completion. They don't give it much attention but it was a nice scene nonetheless.

----------------------------------

Angel Stars debuts / Rise of the "Group Sounds" Genre
November, the 42nd of the Shinka Era/ 1967
Episode #06 They are Always Laughing

So these girls pop up a few times in the show. I kinda dug around and found that their introduction lies pretty closely the rise of the "Group Sounds" genre in Japan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_Sounds

Even more interesting is the Japanese article:

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/グループ・サウンズ

As it mentions the Beatles concert and the Drifters, we've discussed both a while back. Since the introduction of Angel Stars takes place in the same episode I'm pretty sure the writers were aiming at this genre. I'm not sure if the Angel Stars reference an actual band but I found this curious bit in the Japanese Wikipedia article.

女性版GS

1960年代にはピンキー・チックス、ザ・ハイビスカス、スター・サファイヤーズ、東京エンゼル・シスターズ、ザ・スパンキー、松田智加子とTokyo Pink Pearls、ザ・フォクシー・レディズなど、いくつかのプロの女性GS(事務所に所属)が存在した。、そのうちレコードを出したのはピンキー・チックスのみである。

Which Translates to:

Female version GS

In the 1960s, Pinky Chicks, The hibiscus, Star Safa Years, Tokyo Angel Sisters, The Spunky, Chikako Matsuda and Tokyo Pink Pearls, such as The Foxy Lady, some of the professional female GS (office affiliation) were present in. , Is only Pinky Chicks had them put out the record.

Close enough I'd say, googling their name only brings up these two pictures (1, 2) and a Japanese blog which is kinda doing the same as me with Concrete Revolutio. Which leads me to believe I'm on a good track. Here is a link to the blog for those curious (that guy is probably doing a better job than me lol)

-----------------------------------

Students occupy a school in protest of the DFE / Various student strikes
January, the 43rd of the Shinka era, Kanda / January 1968 and onwards
Episode #08 No One Knows Rainbow Knight

Hard to pin this on one strike in particular but the date matches with the so called Toudai / Tokyo University strike.

This source has some nice information about that strike and a few others
http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/2443/8/08chapter6.pdf

Tokyo University (Tōdai), became home to the nation’s biggest student upheaval
in early 1968. Tōdai is the most prestigious university in Japan and the alma
mater to many of the top politicians, bureaucrats and business people. The
massive protests, which flared up within the ranks of the most privileged at the
University’s Hongo campus in early 1968, were sparked by disputes between
medical interns and the university authorities over student rights and conditions.
~~~~~~~~
Meantime after holding
meetings on January 27 1968, students entered into indefinite strikes and vowed to boycott examinations and disrupt the graduation ceremonies scheduled for late March.

Although it involved medicine students and their cause wasn't about something resembling protests against the DFE we see in ConRevo. I'd still say for sure that strikes like this one are referenced by the scene we see in episode 8.

When Kikko visits the doctor who is later revealed to be Claude in episode #12 "Hakko Superhuman Crashing Incident" we also get to see a protest that happens in December, the 42nd of the Shinka Era. Screenshots: 1, 2

Infernal Queen Assasinations / Assasinations of various political figures
All of these happened before April, the 43rd of the Shinka Era / 1968

UylxQb6.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4

If I had to guess. The figures depicted in the show are.

1) Che Guevara - [Excecuted: October 9, 1967]
2) Martin Luther King, Jr. - [Assasinated: April 4, 1968]
3) Robert F. Kennedy - [Assasinated - June 6, 1968]

It's kinda wonky with RFK being assasinated in June which is two months after the "deadline" the show gives us, but the nice curl in his hair makes it a definite match.

Che Guevara is the one I'm the least certain about since my knowledge about Guerillas (the show explicitly uses this term) is a bit limited, but Che Guevara is so famous that I'd doubt they'd be referencing someone else.

The Ogasawara (Bonin) Islands are returned to Japan by the U.S.
Around June, the 43rd of the Shinka Era / June 26, 1968
Episode #11 Justice/Freedom/Peace

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonin_Islands

Following World War II, the islands were controlled by the United States Navy, which expelled all residents except those descended from the original settlers and/or related to them by marriage,[27] while allowing the return of pre-war inhabitants of White American or European, Micronesian or Polynesian ancestry.[28] The islands were returned to Japanese control in 1968, after which other Japanese citizens were allowed to return.

http://www.ogasawarakaiun.co.jp/english/guide/

The U.S. armed forces take jurisdiction of the Ogasawaras, and former non-Japanese inhabitants (of American and European descent) are allowed to return. After intensive negotiations, an agreement to return the islands to Japan is sealed in April 1968 (Shōwa 43), and the Japanese regain jurisdiction on June 26.

These islands are mentioned again in Episode #12 "Hakko Superhuman Crashing Incident". Screenshots: 1, 2, 3.

Claude destroys the USS Antaras during a Angel Stars concert at Yokosuka port / Various incidents relating to U.S. Submarines
June, the 43rd of the Shinka Era
Episode #11 Justice/Freedom/Peace

47adxvc.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,11

We're kinda retreading old grounds with these protest against U.S. ships docking at Japanese ports but since Duckroll provided some nice links a while back that could be the base of this incident I figured I'd still share it.

Both the tales of the USS Scorpion and the USS Swordfish are worth considering for this event in particular.

There's also this source:

http://www.takaishiigallery.com/en/archives/14892/

Which gives some more insight, it also nicely loops back to the student protests we saw a few items ago.

Golubaya Laika gets shot down by the U.S. / Yuri Gagarin fatally crashes
August, the 43rd of the Shinka Era / 27 March, 1968
Episode #12 Hakko Superhuman Crashing Incident

wf8CBji.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Gagarin

Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin; 9 March 1934 – 27 March 1968) was a Russian Soviet pilot and cosmonaut. He was the first human to journey into outer space, when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on 12 April 1961.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Gagarin became an international celebrity, and was awarded many medals and titles, including Hero of the Soviet Union, the nation's highest honour. Vostok 1 marked his only spaceflight, but he served as backup crew to the Soyuz 1 mission (which ended in a fatal crash). Gagarin later became deputy training director of the Cosmonaut Training Centre outside Moscow, which was later named after him. Gagarin died in 1968 when the MiG-15 training jet he was piloting crashed. The Yuri Gagarin Medal is awarded in his honor.
~~~~~~~~~~
The cause of the crash that killed Gagarin is not entirely certain, and has been subject to speculation about conspiracy theories over the ensuing decades.

Jiro visits Mountain Horse's comedy show / The Drifters star the variety show "It's 8 O'Clock! Everybody Gather 'Round
[IOctober, the 44th of the Shinka Era / 4 October, 1969 - 28, September 1985[/i]

We already made the Mountain Horse/Drifters connection a while back

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Drifters_(Japanese_band)

They are most famous for the regular variety show Hachijidayo, Zen'inshugo! (8時だョ!全員集合 "It's 8 O'Clock! Everybody Gather 'Round"?), which aired on the TBS from 1969 to 1985 with a total of 803 episodes. It held the highest ratings of any program in its time, and still holds one of the highest program ratings in Japanese television history. Its low-brow humour and slapstick comedy made it popular with children much to the dismay of parents.

The show itself was a comedy variety show that featured sketches and musical guests. Often the show opened with a long sketch that lasted for about 20–25 minutes and then musical guests were featured. The show would round out the hour with a few more sketches, often with the musical guests participating in these.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/8時だョ!全員集合 (You can machine translate this)

------------------------

The Osaka Earth Expo / Expo '70
Shinka 45 / between March 15 and September 13, 1970

This gets a very brief mention in the show but it's actually a real thing. A location we'll see in season 2 perhaps?

Young people are protesting all around the globe / Various Riots in 1968
The 43rd of the Shinka Era / 1968
Episode #13 Shinjuku Riot

YpEiTZp.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protests_of_1968

Riots in Shinjuku
21 October, the 43rd of the Shinka Era / 21 October, 1968
Episode #13 Shinjuku Riot

1bpmmgQ.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Station
On October 21, 1968, 290,000 marchers participated in International Anti-War Day taking over Shinjuku station and forcing trains to stop.

Another Source

A soldier returns to Japan after being captured in Guam / Shoichi Yokoi returns to Japan
February, the 47th of the Shinka Era / 2 February, 1972
Episode #03 An Iron Couple

urCDoDm.jpg

More: 1, 2, 3, 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoichi_Yokoi

According to the Japanese page he returned in 2 February

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/横井庄一

and returned to Japan in the full 57-year-old on February 2, the same year

This screenshot leads me to believe that the man we see in the show isn't supposed to be Shoichi, but an extra person.

The Winter Sport Granprix / The 1972 Winter Olympics are held in Sapporo
Mentioned in February, the 47th of the Shinka Era / Held from February 3 to February 13, 1972
Episode #03 An Iron Couple

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Winter_Olympics

I guess that's the lot of them. There are still some events that seem suspicious like the Diamond Heist in the Judas episode but I haven't been able to find some good evidence for those. I'm also sure that there are some things that I just haven't spotted yet.

I'll probably compile all the parts I made into one big post in the near future, allows me to improve it a bit I guess, English is not my native language so there are probably some spelling errors.

If you have any questions just ask!

Narag

I'm so glad you sorted out the Black Fog stuff as that's been bugging me for weeks. Same for the Yuri Gagarin thing'

I'm so glad you sorted out the Black Fog stuff as that's been bugging me for weeks. Same for the Yuri Gagarin thing'

Yeah, it felt pretty good when I saw the words Black Fog once I google translated this site

http://shouwashi.com/1966.html

It's a cakewalk after you dig up the Japanese words for an event, but finding them is really tough sometimes.

What's bugging me is the scene with Jiro's dad finding Gagon on that island which happen very early in the timeline.
I figured it was just a King Kong reference but the dates don't match. Maybe it's something else (lovecraft/cthulu?).

Also, I looked through your posts and saw that this happens in episode 1. Guess I'm still not done lol.

duckroll

One thing to note is that the Black Mist Incident in reality is not a literal obvious scandal event like it was in the show. It's simply a series of exposed scandals involving the ruling party in that year which the media played up and used a single unifying "brand" to effectively sell the idea to the public that "everything" was corrupt. So each time something new surfaced, they just reported it as part of a "string" of corruption scandals even if they were not related (other than it involving someone from the ruling party). It's an interesting look at the power of the media, something which Concrete Revolutio also plays up with the Imperial Ads angle. Surprisingly, they weren't involved in this storyline, or it would have fit even better. Lol.

Regarding the GaGon stuff, here's some reference from the show which we could use to try nailing stuff down:

From ep2:

Where and when was this? Japan signed the Anti-Comintern Pact with Germany in 1936 (Showa 11) and they invaded China in 1937 (Showa 12). But WW2 didn't officially start in Europe until 1939 (Showa 14) and the Axis Tripartite Pact wasn't signed until 1940 (Showa 15). When he says before the war, it would probably be before Shinka 14, but could it also be before Shinka 11? The timeline would be valuable because....

From ep4:

We see him in the same adventurer outfit here in Shinka 14, somewhere in the Indian Ocean. The background art is very specific, so it is probably a reference to something. What's interesting here is that the scene tells us a few things:

- He's working for the Imperial Government, which suggests his adventures are all meant to investigate political or military leverage for Japan

- He knows this "Maria" person who clearly isn't a human. Who is she? What role does she play in his travels and in the larger scheme of things? This isn't the sort of show which would show and name a character in a flashback without it having some significance.

- The naming of GaGon suggests there are natives on this island and that it is not uninhabited. Definitely a reference to King Kong and Skull Island. Except Skull Island is in the Pacific Ocean, not the Indian Ocean. Hmmm.

One thing that's worth contrasting is Maria and Emi. It seems that in both situations here, he finds himself accompanied by a female consort who is not human. This is further emphasized in the same episode because the flashbacks start with him and Maria encountering GaGon, and the flashbacks end before the OP starts with him and Emi recovering Jiro after his outburst. Is Maria and Emi possibly related? I think there is more than meets the eye here.

Narag

Yeah, the duality of Magotake, his shape-shifting assistant, and his discovery of something immensely powerful has been bugging me for a while too. Might have to do with how Jiro's been manipulated in order to avoid the same mistakes made with GaGon.

Narag

I should really finish these. Part of the delay was work related, part was computer issues, and part was just procrastination. I feel that familiar deadline pressure though with the show coming back soon so here goes.

Concrete Revolutio 9

Truthfully though, I think the biggest issue I ran into was finding the core of this episode as it had eluded me since I first watched it. I was able to appreciate the mystery surrounding the Hatakeyama family and how the unexplainable yet existed in a world that was eager to order itself. Once it was pointed out to me, I could appreciate the episode existing as a nod to the enduring quality of Sazae-san complete with a writer of that property working on this episode. Still, I felt as if I was missing something and I’d given it quite a bit of thought before I realized what it was. This ep is about the reunion of a son with his family after an extended absence. I’m not referring to that of Minoru Hatakeyama though but rather Jiro’s.

I think this episode is deceptive upon first viewing as the viewer is missing context around Jiro’s departure. We’re well aware that a divide forms between him and the Superhuman Bureau somewhere along the line as made clear in the first episode. This, much like episode 6, exists in this sort of nebulous in-between space that begins with the end of episode 13 and ends once Jiro adopts the new costume and takes a more proactive approach to things.

We’re aware of the relationships Jiro maintains between Emi & Magotake. The team at large is Jiro’s extended family though as we see above in the screenshot of the desk in Jiro’s bedroom from episode 3. The picture’s in the same room as JIro’s shrine to the Rainbow Knight. In fact, we see these two things one after another from Raito’s POV. This is Jiro’s inner sanctum where the things most important to him surround him. This is also reflected in his interactions in the future segments of each episode. Let’s take a look at which members of the Superhuman Bureau appear there and ignore the supporting cast beyond them.

Code:
Episode 1: Kikko, Fuurouta
Episode 2: Fuurouta
Episode 3: None
Episode 4: None.
Episode 5: None
Episode 6: Fuurouta, Hyouma, Kikko
Episode 7: None
Episode 8: Hyouma

Upon first viewing at this point in the show, we’re unaware of Magotake’s role in events as he’s more or less presented as the token scientist character and not actually a member of the Superhuman Bureau even though he consults with them. Akita’s noticeably absent as well but dialogue in this episode as well as the foreshadowing in the ED inform the viewer why. Kikko spends her time in the future segments in pursuit of Jiro, Hyouma is antagonistic to him, and Fuurouta maintains this sort of bittersweet yet amicable relationship with him. The conspicuous absence here is that of Emi and this is the only future segment she appears in during the first cour.

FhDIM3Jl.png
ss5gukCl.png

L: Episode 2 (Shinka 41), R: Episode 9 (Shinka 44)
The swirling emotions of the Superhuman Bureau are readily apparent in the above and imply Jiro’s absence is temporary to them. He’s not yet entirely at odds with them but we can see the seating order is maintained even after he departed from the Bureau in Shinka 43 with his seat left open for him upon his return.

We’re aware just how futile this sentiment is as well given the stance he made explicitly clear in episode 1 too. The show loves to play with contrast and it does so here as on one side we have Minoru eager to return to his accepting family after thirty years of separation and on the other we have Jiro resisting the family he left behind throughout.

Jiro’s involvement with the Hatakeyama family in Shinka 44 begins with him observing them from afar as seen above. At first glance (and upon first viewing), one could interpret him keeping his distance due to his role of observer but later events begin to muddy this when re-examined. Magotake’s phonecall with Claude that Jiro listens in on in episode 12 marks the beginning of the divide between him and his adoptive father. Jiro’s own moral code had already left him at odds with the Superhuman Bureau’s goals as seen in him sparing the life of Grosse Augen’s host in episode 1. While it feels like a specious claim at face value, the distance Jiro maintains from Magotake is representative of the divide that’s grown between the two. On its own, I don’t think I’d make that claim here but it’s visually supported later which I’ll touch upon when it comes up again.

Rather than confront Magotake, he approaches Hyouma to air out his grievances.

Hyouma’s been consistently antagonistic in all the future segments since Jiro’s departure from the Bureau at that. Even here he’s shown to be competitive in an attempt to outdo Jiro. His exact issueswith Jiro aren’t discussed in the first cour but the attitude demonstrated here is the same as when Jiro confronts him in the beginning of episode 8 and outright tells Jiro not to bother because he’s faster than him. Perhaps Hyouma is resentful for the hole Jiro left behind in the Bureau. HIs affiliations in episode 8 aren’t clear given the grey tones the show paints with but it’s not entirely out of the question to consider that the helmeted Daitetsu might have been fulfilling Claude’s role as a replacement Jiro.

Again in a show of consistency, Jiro’s presence results in surprise from Fuurouta and Kikko and leads to internal conflict that we’ve seen present in their roles in the previous episodes’ future segments. Kikko considers which is more important to her: Jiro or her role in the Bureau while Fuurouta has no answers which we see come to a head in episode 2 when he faces Campe.

However between Kikko realizing Jiro's around and questioning which is more important to her, Hyouma gets another shot iin. I’m not entirely sure if we knew Jiro quit the Bureau before now, just that he was at odds with it for one reason or another. I think it could reasonably be inferred that he left/quit but I’d imagine there’s enough leeway that one could interpret earlier interactions as a possible betrayal one way or the other. We do know his trust was violated based on the events involving Claude in the upcoming episodes though. I’d check myself I had extra time but that’s sadly lacking at the moment.

We can see the rift between Hyouma and Jiro widening here too as their ideologies clash. Hyouma’s pro-government stance rankles Jiro and his desire to protect superhumans, implying the danger to them comes from the government now. This is true in this case albeit it’s the American government that’s now the danger.

As the Bureau engages the rampaging robot, it’s shades of episode 5’s MegaGon encounter where the Bureau attempts to intervene yet falters in doing so. They’re a fractured organization at the moment and without their full power. There’s no Jiro to save the day this time around for similar reasons. By turning his back on the Bureau, he gave up Equus which was a cipher for his power. HIs lack of resources is accentuated by his increasingly shabby appearance whereas he was once presented as rather dapper, his familiar suit now shows signs of wear that were never present before. It’s a transitional look though as that sort of shabbiness is incorporated into his last costume as the hem of his coat, the cuffs of his pants and the red scarf he wears all have a frayed/worn quality about them.

This might sound like a reach but Jiro’s suit maintains this same look when Fuurouta confronts him at the Mountain Horse venue in episode 6 which chronologically takes place a month after the events of this episode.

The conflict of both families finally converges once the Hatakeyama family decides to sacrifice themselves o stop the American robot. If there was a moral in this episode, it’d be present here as Jiro and the Bureau attempted to protect them and failed. Despite teaming up with one another, the divide in their family was its undoing. Had Jiro had the resources and support of the Bureau and the Bureau had Jiro’s strength, I’d imagine we’d have resolution similar to the MegaGon encounter. Instead both sides are left impotent as the divide between them grows. The sacrifice of the Hatakeyama family should have served as an object llesson for everyone associated with Jiro. They’re a family made whole once again and united in purpose. Only then they could make the impossible happen. They gave their lives to stop the robot even with the risk of their immortality being compromised yet surpassed their enemy as a unified front. Sadly, neither Jiro nor the Bureau learned from this.

Past this, we should return to the Jiro/Emi relationship. At the beginning of the post, we see Jiro’s desk. We know they’re in a relationship together and it’s safe to say Jiro cares for her. He’s a really stoic character and not very expressive throughout the show but as asserted above, his bedroom is something of a sanctum of his and her appearance in both photos hints at her importance to him at that time.

During the encounter, she learns from Fuurouta that Jiro’s present and makes it a point to attend the battle herself to resolve it. When she does appear, we get one of the weirdest Jiro faces in the show as a bit of expressiveness leaks in. He’s practically cracking a smile there. This too should have been something of an important event for those two as they were reunited after so long however….
After the Hatakeyama family apparently die together, Emi offers Jiro a chance to return to the Bureau. In one of the coldest acts in the show, he doesn’t say a word and walks away from them once again. I’d been wondering if perhaps this is why Emi had been absent from the other future scenes in the show thus far. She’s rejected by Jiro yet again. Maybe she had no further use for the Bureau without Jiro’s presence. There’s two cuts in the PV for the second cour that feature Jiro & Emi together with considerable agitation in the body language in both. It’s hard to say for certain but I can’t imagine they’re on amicable terms after all of this.

Finally we have Jiro’s parting from the Bureau once again but after the Hatakeyama family had revived and escaped. Jiro engages in a shouting match with Magotake about their respective ideals but I like this shot because it ties back into representing emotional distance that I’d mentioned earlier. There’s one scene earlier where Jiro’s standing side by side with Magotake and Hyouma but I think I can give that a pass as they had fallen into their pre-departure roles if only briefly. I’m not going to pretend this is any sort of deep analysis of a shot but I think there’s some intent here based on the previous visual elements of the episode. At face value, we have a literal barrier separating the Bureau from Jiro and if one wanted to be extra pretentious, an argument could be made that Jiro could return to them if he literally turned back from the path he was on but there’s something else that’s neat here.

Say Jiro’s a fixed point and you drew a line from him to each of the other characters present. The two closest to him would be Kikko and Fuurouta which ties into the strength of their feelings towards him. Emi’s present in the middle which seems somewhat fitting and then we have Hyouma who’s grown outright resentful of Jiro. Once again though, the greatest distance lies between Jiro and his father.

October 14 Shinka

Magotake Hitoyoshi discovers GaGon in the old ruins of an island in the Indian Ocean.

December 16 Shinka

Minoru Hatakeyama Is taken as a prisoner of war by U.S. forces in Hawaii.

August 17 Shinka

American forces begin including superhumans in their war campaign in response to Japan’s use of GaGon.

November 29 Shinka

January 34 Shinka

Rainbow Knight kills Giganto Gon. Hiroyuki recovers a baby kaiju from its remains. Rainbow Knight rescues Jiro during GIganto Gon’s rampage.

May 38 Shinka
The “Daitetsu Incident” occurs during which the Rainbow Knight kidnaps superhuman children. Rainbow Knight is killed.

July 40 Shinka

Januar 41 Shinka

June 41 Shinka

The comic band Mountain Horse develops powers after being exposed to the superhuman power of The Beatles performing at Budokan on June 30th.

July 41 Shinka

The members of Mountain Horse explore their new powers but opt to keep it secret as to not affect their careers.

In Ginza, Jiro enlists Kikko’s aid to stop a transaction between one of Japan’s top astronomers and an industrial spy who is revealed to be an alien known as “S” Planetarian. Hyoushi, Daishi, and Emi observe from a planetarium in Shibuya. Grosse Augen soon appears to combat the “S” Planetarian but is apprehended by Jiro with the help of Kikko and Emi. Jiro violates his mandate by not eliminating Grosse Augen but allowing its host to use the body of the “S” Planetarian.thereby saving the host’s life. The device being sold to the astronomer is shown to be easily affected by radio waves rendering its data unreliable. Daishi suspects the Gemini accident in the US was also the work of an “S” Planetarian in an effort to conceal the location of their home base in the Scorpio constellation.

August 41 Shinka

Earth-chan appears to defeat one of the first beasts made by Beastly Radio Wave Japan.

Fuurouta encounters the Black Fog after freeing Campe from a pet shop. He’s soon apprehended by the Superhuman Bureau who decide to keep a close watch on him. Realizing he can safely enter the Black Fog, he takes the virus the Superhuman Bureau had contemplated using and eradicates the Tartaros Bugmen aside from Campe who he inadvertently saves.

November 41 Shinka

Raito Shiba and the Superhuman Bureau independently investigate Beastly Radio Wave Japan.

February 42 Shinka

A bombing at the Haneda Airport catches Raito Shiba’s attention and he chooses to investigate as he feels it falls under the jurisdiction of the police force. The cause of the explosion is revealed to be the Type B Android Mieko Kohrogi. Raito learns of the existence of the Type A android and their function to combine to form the Ultimate Weapon which he assumes to be a bomb. He sets out to destroy her but offers her a place with him at the last minute, a life where she doesn’t have to become a weapon. She rejects him and apparently self-destructs in a nearby canal.

April 42 Shinka

Master Ultima returns from Mars. The Superhuman Bureau discovers the connection between the rising beast population and Beastly Radio Wave Japan. Jiro destroys their factory after being attacked by a beast.

July 42 Shinka

Imperial Ads sets out to popularize beasts in Japan at the behest of one of its senior advisors. The space beasts Master Ultima brought back from Mars have been repurposed as weapons of the U.S. military and stationed across the globe. Shoji Matsumoto recovers one of the dead American space beasts after it was allegedly disposed of near Kikaijima Island.

August 42 Shinka

MegaGon is created by injecting the space beast’s corpse with a blood derivative of Jiro’s.and its subsequent absorption of the young GaGon. The Superhuman Bureau attempts to destroy MegaGon via subterfuge at 1:30 am August 8th. They fail but Jiro appears to defeat a rampaging MegaGon.

September 42 Shinka

Earth-chan repels Master Ultima’s attempt to bring the U.S. military’s beasts into Japan.

October 42 Shinka

Fuurouta is assigned by the Superhuman Bureau to become Mountain Horse’s assistant in order to keep tabs on their boss.

An ether factory exploded and revealed the presence of the Hatekyama family to the Superhuman Bureau by virtue of their survival.

Judas, a formerly evil superhuman, registers with the Superhuman Bureau despite Earth-chan’s attempt to stop him, believing he’d become evil once again. Protestors fight against Japan joining the global initiative Defense Force of Earth. Japan joins the DFE regardless.

November 42 Shinka

Angel Stars debut as officially sanctioned superhumans. Mountain Horse prevents chocolate laced with a drug that inhibits superhuman powers from being distributed but lose one of their members in doing so.

January 43 Shinka
The old nemesis of Rainbow Knight, Eye of Lucifer, appears to collect artifacts related to the Rainbow Knight. It’s revealed to be Yumihiko Otanashi aka Datetsu Maki after Jiro (disguised as Rainbow Knight) confronts him.

September 44 Shinka

Minoru Hatakeyama is released by the U.S. in order to track him and kill his family once and for all. Jiro briefly reunites with the Superhuman Bureau but fails in his intervention.

October 44 Shinka

Jiro attempts to recruit Mountain Horse who decline. He encounters Fuurouta but rather than fight, the two leave on amicable terms.

April 46 Shinka

Kikko and Fuuroouta encounter Jiro on a train. He escapes and Kikko pursues only to encounter Grosse Augen’s original host and learn how Jiro saved him five years prior.

February 47 Shinka

Type A android Kaoru Honda returns to Japan after 28 years but in military custody. Raito Shiba liberates him and takes him to the now inert form of Type B android Mieko Kohrogi. where he intends to have them form into what he believes to be a bomb that he would detonate at the Winter Sports Grand Prix in protest of the current government which he feels is corrupt. Jiro appears to reactivate the type B android, revealing the ultimate weapon to be a combination of the Type A and Type B androids now known as Megasshin. Raito and Jiro engage in combat directly after.

April 47 Shinka

Megasshin, Judas, and Jiro retrieve Earth-chan’s inert form from the Ikuta Laboratory.

October 47 Shinka
Jiro & Earth-chan confront Hyouma and the now grown Daitetsu Maki amidst a mountain of discarded helmets.

August 48 Shinka
Fuurouta faces the now grown Campe who seeks revenge on him for killing the Tartaros Bugmen. Jiro intervenes to save Fuurouta.

Narag

Been watching the PV lately to get hyped and realized it was never linked in here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYavqpAb0RI

Duckroll said he thought it wasn't even a full series pv but mostly just episode 14. I found my self agreeing upon checking it out again since most of the scenes in it are either centered around the Arcus robot that Raito uses or Emi & Jiro.

The Emi/Jiro/Kikko stuff looks more interesting though. The fox spirits are what Emi's used to track people throughout the show (Raito in episode 3, Rainbow Knight in episode 8). If I had to guess, Kikko went to Emi for help in finding Jiro, Emi confronted him privately first without it ending well, and Jiro rejected Kikko yet again. I could be way offbase but speculation's half the fun.

I dig this shot of Jiro living the fugitive's life, cooking a lonely meal amidst the mess of his few belongings. Presumably even the fake Rainbow Knight helmet he made is just tossed around with the rest of the mess.

Judas' hand stands out as fairly important though. He's more or less a minor character but given time in the PV with a cut that centers around his damaged hand. In the first season, both in past and future, that hand's never visible. Either he's wearing gloves or it's in his pocket. Once could assume he lost it somehow and it's a prosthetic or..... what if he's a robot too?

We know Earth-chan's a robot that can detect when people have a need for help from the bottom of their heart. Did you catch how Judas reacted exactly that way when Emi was watching Jiro go berserk in episode 13? He was nowhere near the situation, was able to detect the issue, and bring everyone together to assist in a very short amount of time. Remember, Earth-chan was built to cause havoc but she averted his design somehow to become a hero. Judas not only relished in his attack on police but was emboldened by it. He also fell back into that life after promising not to after Earh-chan put him in his place too as if he couldn't get away from it. He's also very, very resonant with Earth-chan in that he was able to interrupt Kikko's confrontation with her about why she was made.
The big push in her episode was the loneliness she felt and looking for the place that belonged just to her. Even in her dream, she had a family to return to. This wasn't exactly the first time this came up in the show either. The third episode covered the same ground with Raito's inability to find a place to belong and the androids being compelled to seek one another out. Megasshin helping Jiro break into the Ikuta Labs seemed fitting since his halves was created there too as a robotic weapons of war. Judas' presence felt redemptive as if he was trying to shake off the history of his namesake but wouldn't his presence be all the more poignant as a homecoming if he was created there too? What if his comment about restoring her was literal and he gave up his hand to repair hers?

Again all in fun and just speculation but even Astro Boy had a sibling.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 10

This one’s somewhat hard for me to parse as it falls squarely in line with the opening episodes of the series in that it's a character episode with marginal involvement by Jiro. It explains Hyouma’s mysterious time powers, how he’s travelled throughout history, how he’s aware of certain events (the train explosion in episode 5), and his role in the creation of the Superhuman Bureau.

It feels largely like a worldbuilding exercise more than anything in that we get a larger picture of things beyond Japan which has been the general focus throughout. We learn IQ had been operating in the US for some time, the communication tech they use, and we see what are apparently the four main world powers of the U.S., the U.S.S.R., China, and Japan (with Yoshiaki Satomi as the representative) using IQ to push their own agenda.

We’re also shown what the current path of events ultimately leads to by virtue of the 25th century clips. There are no more superhumans and the means to become one has been removed from humanity’s lineage. It’s the dystopian future the Shinka era superhumans dread and whose seeds are seen to be planted as normal humanity transitions from marveling at superhumans to seeing them as a nuisance to be reported at best, a security threat that needed addressed at worst.

The episode also spends an inordinate amount of time being concerned about the grandfather paradox. Hyouma’s departure from the Time Patrol and ensuing decisions led him to be confronted by younger versions of himself. He couldn’t kill him as then he’d simply cease to exist and this resulted him in pursuing a different approach by helping create the Superhuman Bureau.

He perceives a solution of the grandfather paradox but considers himself to not be so important to the timeline that he’d be exempt from its effects. Kikko sees an out though and acts upon it and pursues it in an attempt to save a man that’s relegated himself to oblivion by doing what needed to be done.

We’ also learn that Hyouma himself isn’t exactly human. This gets back to Jiro’s claims early in the show that he’s the only regular human there. At this point, the Superhuman Bureau consists of a human, a ghost, a yokai princess, a magical witch girl from another dimension, a gaseous alien that can apparently possess anything, and a jaguar given human features and mind then sent back in time a few hundred years to fix the timeline.

He’s the most emotive in this episode as his past catches up to him and he realizes that he’s going to have to settle the IQ issue himself. It’s a somber take on a character that’s been smart, confident, and cooperative so far during the Shinka 41-43 era where the Bureau is still intact. It’s a consistent take on a character in a show that’s actually been really good about consistency.

So why is he such a fucking jerk in the future sequences? He’s actually asked directly if he has a problem with Jiro in this ep but he replies he just has a problem with kids. I think that’s supposed to be read as him having issues with childish reactions to problems and that’s the issue he takes up with kids. It’s a reflection on his own youthful mistakes that he’s had to live with.

Let’s look at Hyouma’s reaction to his past self. It’s full of regret at his own childish actions, tinged with the embarrassment of who he once was. Emi called out his need to be perceived as an adult in his design of Equus. Legs & arms are more or less superfluous in her opinion yet he included them. He claims they’d help Jiro better in its usage but it’s a regression of his own design aesthetic. Compare that to the IQ equipment that’s sleek and streamlined. The IQ ship doesn't look like some sort of toy like Equus does yet that’s his past self taking the “adult” approach to things. There’s no waste in the design yet it’s overcompensations for the childish ideology he carried then.

This is from the beginning of episode 8 where Jiro faces Hyouma and his attitude toward the notion is near belligerent. This is in line with the attitude he had in the previous episode. I still have a hard time reconciling why he would have regressed to something that’s ostensibly more in line with his IQ characterization. Everything about that intro feels like arrogance has replaced the confidence he once carried. I can’t see Jiro’s departure and subsequent interventions to have jilted him to such a point. It’s enough to make me wonder if it’s the same character and, you know, there’s a chance it isn’t.

Again I stray into the realm of speculation but Kikko solved the Grandfather paradox for Hyouma by letting Magotake examine the Time Patrol watch. The agency that creates him is a result of that research but without his watch being examined, it would have never been created. Hyouma claims he’s now a being that must persist yet I’m of the opinion this muddies the waters further. Must this exact version of Hyouma exist or does there simply need to be a version of him present to fill the void created if he was killed? At the end of the episode, the Hyouma that went back to the 25th century asked outright if he would be classified as a superhuman which elicited a smirk from his handler. Could this have been the reason he escaped the Time Patrol? The notion of escaping them seems like such an indictment of their practices at that.

Of all my speculation, I’m the least confident in this notion but I really want to know why we have Hyouma acting this way. Did Jiro’s departure from the Bureau set off the chain of events that led to the 25th century? In episode 9, Hyouma entreats him to return. A month later, he’s looking to apprehend Jiro. Both approaches have the same result of restoring Jiro to the Bureau’s hands. Either way, no matter who this Jaguar really is, there feels like a method to his madness that we’re unable to fully understand as of yet.

We also have that familiar ending shot rearing its ugly head again. We know it’s full of intentional imagery as it foreshadowed Akita’s “death” and served as a visual representation of Jiro’s departure from the Bureau. I’d imagine there’s meaning to Hyouma’s appearance whether it’s him adopting a different view than the rest or simply turning his back on the other members of the Bureau.

October 14 Shinka

December 16 Shinka

August 17 Shinka

November 29 Shinka

January 34 Shinka

May 38 Shinka
The “Daitetsu Incident” occurs during which the Rainbow Knight kidnaps superhuman children. Rainbow Knight is killed.

July 40 Shinka

Januar 41 Shinka

June 41 Shinka

July 41 Shinka

August 41 Shinka

November 41 Shinka

February 42 Shinka

April 42 Shinka

July 42 Shinka

August 42 Shinka

September 42 Shinka

October 42 Shinka

An ether factory exploded and revealed the presence of the Hatekyama family to the Superhuman Bureau by virtue of their survival.

November 42 Shinka

January 43 Shinka

April 43 Shinka

Infernal Queen, a group of criminals that assassinate anyone they deem evil, appear in Japan. The Superhuman Bureau repels with Hyouma killing their leader, a past version of himself.

September 44 Shinka

Minoru Hatakeyama is released by the U.S. in order to track him and kill his family once and for all. Jiro briefly reunites with the Superhuman Bureau but fails in his intervention.

October 44 Shinka

April 46 Shinka

February 47 Shinka

April 47 Shinka

October 47 Shinka

August 48 Shinka

25th Century
Time Patrol officer Super Jaguar is dispatched to stop the Advocates of Free History.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 11-13

I’d considered making three separate posts about these episodes but over the course of reviewing them for an angle to approach this, I began to feel that they were inextricable and should be discussed together. It’s not just that it was end of the cour and deserved special attention either. These three episodes adhere to the three act story structure and aren’t functionally independent like the previous ten episodes. There’s very little in the way of the usual formula either as aside from two brief flashbacks, story progression is linear and largely without the usual trademark era-hopping the show has used throughout thus far. There’s various elements that feel “off” over the course of this too that are head scratching at face value yet flow better when approached as part of the whole.

I’ll attempt to describe what bits through me off and how I was able to finally reconcile them as I go along. Again, this shouldn’t be construed as any sort of super serious analysis as it’s ultimately just been a fun little side project meant to help me better organize my ideas about shows when written down.

Act I

I was confused by the opening of this episode initially because of how spread out all the principals were and how some things felt superfluous (like the maid & Magotake) and this continued to be a source of my confusion for quite a while. I erroneously felt later elements of the episode were undermined by all of this, particularly Claude’s identity, as I had assumed we were meant to put more value into Kikko’s POV than what was actually expected. In reality, it was exposition intended to place each of the characters at the time of the first half’s big event.

It’s known that the Angel Stars are supported by Imperial Ads but they’re the lesser of two evils. It makes sense to dispatch Kikko (who is effectively a junior member of the Bureau) on some menial task. She’s at the military base to keep an eye on them. The U.S. military is present too so it’s pretty well secure.

However Touzaki and Satomi have been the main players with the Imperial Ads push. Touzaki offers to sign Jiro to Imperial Ads, offering a blank check, but this meeting that draws the attention of most of the Bureau is meant to be a delaying tactic, to keep the Bureau apart from Claude’s big appearance and to remove perpetual thorn in the side Jiro from interrupting it.

It also serves to illustrate Jiro's perceived incorruptibility. Touzaki & Satomi are aware that Jiro wouldn’t sign with them yet needle him anyway despite Jiro pointing out how they were involved with the attempted beast boom and superhuman-repressing chocolate. He’s told that superhumans are defenders of justice but they feel the term is used too liberally and should apply to just humans. She actually rattles off a list of races that have a representative in the Bureau or are closely associated with it which implies a certain level of knowledge, even going so far to elicit a reaction from Emi that Satomi doesn’t miss. Jiro declines the offer, making not yet again that he doesn’t actually have any powers and that’s he a normal human, a regular refrain throughout the show.

Claude appears with the Antares which causes some incident. Before the U.S. military can respond to him though, the Angel Stars intervene. After all, a superhuman problem requires superhuman response. It’s made clear that at least Jacky is on the deal though when she presents Claude a dramatic platform from which to operate and here he begins his oft repeated justice/peace/freedom mantra.

After destroying the Antares, Kikko and Raito, both sanctioned superhumans, confront him. The conflict between Raito and Claude is important as Raito’s made it clear that a number of students in the crowd are known superhumans. Impressionable kids watching a member of the establishment try to silence someone bringing an important truth forward? This is the foundational step for Claude’s demagogue role. Raito directly asks if Claude means to fight alone leading Claude into a speech that inflames the hearts of the students watching who quickly side with him. Kikko’s presence in witch form does the Bureau no favors as she appears to side with Raito in the matter.
Claude makes an appeal to Kikko to stay out of it because of his genuine respect for her. His strong show of unrestrained power evokes images of Jiro’s . Between this and Claude’s speech, it marks the beginning of his strong influence on her. From here we see the aftermath of the incident, how news of it leaks out to be broadcast nationwide, and how Jacky of the Angel Stars was the one to smuggle it out. End the inciting incident of Act I.

We next see Jiro driving Kikko to her doctor as she’s begun to feel ill for one reason or another. Kikko sees a lot of Jiro in Claude but doesn’t verbalize it, instead opting to let Jiro go on about Claude and whether or not he can defeat him. Kikko wonders if the Bureau should have protected the superhumans involved in the creation of the Antares per their goal of protecting superhumans.only to have Jiro claim he would have acted had he but known but that he still couldn’t forgive Claude’s methods since due to the body count. He correctly surmises Imperial Ads involvement in the matter doesn’t tell Kikko why. Instead he makes a huge mistake.

We know Jiro has this hypocritical stripe to him due to his feeling towards kaiju earlier on. His feelings could basically be summarized that the only good kaiju is a dead one which is really extreme for a guy trying to protect so many. It’s fueled by his own self-loathing and the bias he felt towards Giganto Gon during its rampage.

Jiro does what he was angry with Touzaki about and says Claude can’t be a superhuman and that he must be a demon. Remember the conversation between Ullr & Emi in episode 7? Ullr corrects Emi before she can use the same word Jiro uses. This is perceived as something of a perjorative by Ullr and Kikko’s no different. She reminds Jiro what she really is and he realizes he screwed up. In one statement, he not only used what was ostensibly a racist term but claimed demons couldn’t be superhumans. By that logic, he didn’t see Kikko as one either. She’s very understandably upset and asks to be let out. Jiro can only watch as she walks away. Disillusionment is a big theme during the Claude storyline and this marks the beginning of Kikko’s disillusionment with Jiro.

From here, we witness the meeting between former Minister of Defence Mitsuya and the three political figures the Fumers possess. Mitsuya offers to support the revised Superhuman laws that would bring different disciplines together under the same umbrella. The law’s been proposed by the Ministry of Health & Welfare which is the agency that governs the Superhuman Bureau. Mitsuya’s support would ensure it passes but he requires a trade from Akita: a resolution to the Claude issue before he can influence more impressionable youth.

This entire incident left me confused even on multiple viewings because it’s really, really bizarre. Kikko receives a phonecall from Claude to be at a particular place. Rather than letting other members of the Bureau know, she acts independently under the pretense that maybe it was something that he only wanted her to see and not the rest.

She arrives to see Claude having murdered a room full of hospital staff. Here’s where my confusion set in. Claude invited her but he was also surprised she was the one to show up. He’s so surprised that he loses his way with words and doesn’t actually know how to respond to her appearance. Kikko reacts to the stress of the situation by freaking out and going for the special medicine she uses. This too catches Claude off guard who tells her not to take it. Kikko adopts the dark persona she alluded to way back in episode 5 when trying to relate to Jiro’s own issues. This wasn’t an intended result by anyone present and Claude is off guard yet again when the dark Kikko attacks him. She demands an answer for his actions and he finds his tongue again. Claude’s dialogue about justice and destroying evil appeals to Kikko because that’s the kind of person she wants Jiro to be.

For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out why Claude had that picture he showed Kikko at the end of the episode but giving the episodes a closer look, I finally realized what was going on. Both Claude & Kikko were set up in this situation. He didn’t have that picture as part of some large gambit to corrupt Kikko, he made the best of a bad situation and the contents of the picture just reaffirmed Kikko’s guess as to Claude’s identity which worked in his favor. He had that picture for a different reason. He had that picture because he was expecting Jiro.

End Act I.

Act II

The episode opens with Kikko getting medicine from Jin Nagakawa a few months prior to Claude’s first appearance. Jin’s aware of her role on Earth and has apparently contacted her mother. Even Ullr tells Kikko that he’s someone she can trust.

From here we jump to the aftermath of Claude’s attack on the clinic. The Bureau and the police have both been called in and we see in the above screenshot that the frigidity of Kikko & Jiro’s relationship hasn’t really thawed much since the night she asked to be let out of his car. The Strange Power Risk Management office is asked to investigate by the police. Thiis highlights how fractured government usage of superhumans is in practice with yet another agency on a different level of government employing them for this or that and how that snowballs despite the wishes of governmental agencies. The scene concludes with discussion of Claude’s motives, how his actions were unforgivable, and a distressed Kikko indulging in her special medicine once again.

The show is rapidfire in how it it can reveal something important but if you blink, you’ll miss it. The revised Superhuman laws are described as something that would expand superhuman rights but how Mitsuya had planned for superhumans as a potential threat is just casually dropped into conversation. Kikko’s incensed that the Bureau is compromising with Mitsuya for the sake of a “yes” vote when she perceives Claude as a much more transparent & considerate guardian of superhumans. When she takes off in anger, Jiro pursues her and asks her if she had played some role on his behalf. Kikko gives Jiro the picture and demands he show his true feelings. At this point, she suspects Jiro is Claude and has difficulty reconciling why he’d take action with a mask on but allow his hands to be tied with it off, especially when what she presumes to be his goals directly oppose one another. However, Jiro doesn’t recognize the face of the person in the picture Kikko gave him.

This was another part I had trouble reconciling on first viewing too as I didn’t understand why Satomi would reveal Claude’s identity to Magotake. Of course, I missed that both he and Magotake were once considered superhuman as well as thus far they really hadn’t demonstrated anything of the sort. It also tightens up the world of the show as one gets the feeling that there aren’t a bunch of strangers at odds with another but that there’s a shared past they all stem from even if they took different directions after. Of course, Satomi politely mentions his affiliation with Imperial Ads in front of Jiro who then asserts Imperial Ads and Claude are colluding with one another.

Satomi’s the secret mover & shaker of this arc as he facilitates most everything. The next scene is a conversation between him and Jin where Jin wants to appeal to Jiro to make him understand his actions. This is deflected by Satomi who says Kikko will side with Jin and that Jiro will soon understand regardless. Jin’s this rather genuine person at times and despite the implication that Satomi had tipped off the U.S. military that Golubaya Laika was going to be around shortly, Jin hopes for his safe arrival in Japan. This isn’t the case though as the JSDF and Master Ultima (!) intercept him.

Another important scene I initially misconstrued to be misdirection to try and make the viewer believe Jiro & Claude might be the same guy still as they’re never in the same place at the same time. Really it’s meant to highlight how much she wants Jiro to be the idealized version of Claude she has in her head. She sees Jiro as Claude to be an extension of his admiration of the Rainbow Knight and the manga she’s reading is this visual metaphor for her feelings about it all. It should be noted she’s nearly through her stash of medicine at this point however. Here we hit the midpoint and it’s telling that, unconsciously or not, Kikko is shown to be looking for Jin right after wondering if Jiro was Claude.

The midpoint of the Claude storyline arrives as Golubaya Laika crashes at Hakko High School. Kikko had met Psy-Kicker there earlier as she looked for Jin and this led to a conversation about Claude's ideals. The school was already a hotbed for student unrest as we saw in the Dec Shinka 42 segment that opened the twelfth episode and after Laika crashed, the students barricaded themselves inside which set up another disenfranchised youth vs establishment scenario which was perfect situation for Claude to appear. Laika’s death and Claude’s words about Kikko’s power and her desire to use it are the final push Kikko needs to fully buy into the fantasy that Claude is actually Jiro. The thing about her dark persona is she has no inhibition about using her magic as she sees fit which opposes the early presentation concerning its uses. It also moves Ullr from the mentor role to a servant.

Claude and Jiro fight, we see Kikko has taken Claude’s side, and Master Ultima reappears to interrupt them in an attempt to kill Claude. He points out that Claude had to be stopped otherwise war would commence. Whether this is a consequence of a Japanese superhuman attacking U.S. interests or the paradoxical notion a war being waged by superhumans who don’t want their power to be used for war due to Claude’s influence, I’m not sure.

The second act culminates with Jiro finally coming face to face with Claude.that doubles as an attack on Jiro. Here Jiro finally learns the truth of Rainbow Knight’s death and the conclusion of this act. Disillusionment manifests itself once again when Jiro learns of his father’s role in the death of his hero and how it led directly to the creation of the Bureau. This is part of Jin’s attempt to bring Jiro over to his side, to make him understand like he wanted to in Sapporo. He tells Jiro he would have met the same fate he did had he not been Magotake’s adopted son and how the Bureau operated contrary to Jiro’s own ideals. He might have succeeded too had Akita not intervened.

End Act II.

Narag

Act III

The opening scenes are important as they’re important in directing everyone towards Shinjuku. The Strange Power Risk Management Office opens the door with the news conference based on their Ogasawraa findings and the body count there. The next two scenes are intertwined in how they push the issue too. Opening with Touzaki & Satomi pressuring Mitsuya about the dangers of the student uprisings leads directly to Jin in his role of a teacher subtly promoting protest in his lecture about other students around the world pushing back. Mitsuya’s unperturbed by the notion of a protest as they were put down in every other country. Satomi knows how to lean on him though by mentioning the one thing the other countries didn’t have: Claude. Mitsuya, in turn, perceives this to be strongarming by Imperial Ads to convince him to vote no on the revised superhuman laws. Satomi’s actually a pretty smart character and when confronted by Mitsuya in this fashion, he fires right back by noting how defining superhumans as something other than human would mean human law wouldn’t be applicable and they’d be subject to the whims of whatever types of segregation would be put in place. Mitsuya feigns ignorance but is visibly rattled at having been seen through so easily so what does he do? He immediately leans on the Bureau to address the Claude issue immediately, demanding both he and Kikko die that night. This leads back to the very first scene after the OP where Hyouma tells Jiro that nothing matters now except avenging Akita and that everything else will come after. This also ties back into the first episode where it’s easily forgotten but plainly mentioned that aside from protecting superhumans, Jiro’s other role in Bureau is to put down dangerous ones.

Now here’s where my premise of Claude being manipulated like JIro was is really tested. Emi lures Ullr out so he can be interrogated by herself and Jiro. Ullr says Kikko fell into her current role for three reasons. The medicine from Jin Nagakawa is sensible. It’s something special she needs, something that’ she’s grown to lean on, and impaired judgment and an increasingly impressionable nature could be some side effect. Her disillusionment with Jiro also checks out between him dropping a racist comment to her, his vindictiveness towards Claude and his methods, and just how much she actually wants him to be Claude since Claude says and does exactly what she’s wanted Jiro to do.

The sticking point for me has been the second assertion that Claude used some sort of powerful hypnosis on her. I’ve never really bought this as it requires so much contrivance to make work within the confines of the story. The idea that he’s been constantly aware of where she is, conditioning her slowly, taking advantage of her relationship with Jiro, and drugging her in his civilian guise is really too much. The idea of hypnosis carries this connotation of intent that I don’t entirely agree with. Both Funi and Daisuki translate it this way but I’ve found myself wondering if that’s not entirely correct. I’m not fluent in JP so I won’t pretend to be here and perhaps the terms used to describe this are idiomatic but I’m really, really left wondering if that’s not to convey hypnosis so much as to indicate the strong feelings Kikko developed by buying into Claude’s demagoguery, that his strong passive influence brought her to his side and made her believe he was Jiro rather than some active act of hypnosis.

From here, we see Emi offering Jiro some help but it comes with a price. She knows he intends to take personal responsibility for both Claude and Kikko so offers to assist him with Kikko on the condition that he never see her again as she feels Jiro tries to be a different person when Kikko is around. This isn’t the first time Emi’s extracted some sort of payment from Jiro either. In episode 8, in exchange for locating Rainbow Knight, she says he has to grant her wish if she does so. I think it’s reasonable to assume that she demanded some sort of fidelity from him, to be forever hers. The maid in the beginning of the 11th episode makes a crack along the lines of maybe Jiro’s only with Emi because he can’t say no to the matter which got a reaction from Magotake who was quick to close the matter. It’d help reconcile the matter of why Jiro dodges Kikko despite the obvious chemistry even after the events of the Claude arc. By avoiding Kikko, he’d be keeping both promises to Emi intact.

And so after two and a half episodes, we finally reach Shinjuku station and gain perspective of events not only from the protesting students but various superhuman onlookers. The long touch of Imperial Ads is felt once again as the Angel Stars side with the students. The students shouldn’t even be there though as the American fuel transport they were protesting had long since been canceled. We learn why though as Master Ultima appears to ask this very question. Who answers it? In another move that makes the world a little smaller, Magotake Hitoyoshi informs Master Ultima, who he is standing beside as if an equal, that the Bureau leaked false information to draw the protest there.

Psy-Kicker verbalizes why as he too has bought into Claude’s words and is certain Claude will appear in their time of need. Raito is forced into the role of the adult establishment again as he heads off a group of protestors led by Psy-Kicker. One of the secret best character moments for Raito stems from this encounter as Fuurouta forcibly removes him from it. Raito claims Fuurouta shouldn’t have due to his membership in the Bureau but Fuurouta reminds him of his other role: friend of every kid. Raito states he was supposed to be the same way which despite his role in the police force, there’s a degree of regret to his chosen path.

Hyouma appears with his army of Aramega robots to head off the protests himself. What’s peculiar is the cooperation shown between the Bureau and the government superhuman security forces as the two sides haven’t had the best of relations throughout the show. Enter Claude who finally appears in one of the Aramegas with the intent of defeating the government forces to demonstrate the strength of superhumans once and for all.

And so the final conflict comes to a head. Claude has finally been drawn out and Jiro appears to settle things once and for all. This is interesting due to how the encounter starts. Jiro comments how the Aramega is as strong as Equus which leads into Magotake pointing out the truth behind Claude’s helmet. Here we realize Claude’s amplified power is more or less equal to that of Jiro’s locked power. Again, Claude uses his real talent of demagoguery in an attempt to subvert Jiro and his idealism. Jiro, of course, resists.

Jiro begins to overwhelm Claude and we learn who Satomi thought it necessary for Kikko to protect Claude. She’s the equalizer in the encounter given her uninhibited use of magic and how her siding with Claude actually deprives Jiro of an important resource. This is the third time she’s assisted Claude against Jiro with the first providing him one of Equus’ weapons at the high school and the second restraining Jiro while Claude “killed” Akita. Lost in the shuffle of all of this is Emi. Kikko wasn’t the only magical princess in Jiro’s corner throughout the show and she’s quick to subdue Kikko so Jiro can fight Claude on equal terms again. She makes a cold blooded comment that reminds us she isn’t quite human when she tells Kikko she would have just as soon killed her rather than save her but she promised not to. Presumably this was Jiro’s part of the bargain when accepting her help in saving Kikko.

Claude manages to overpower Jiro this time and he renews his verbal attack on Jiro’s idealism. Jiro wants to believe heroes still exist, the kind people can looking up to still, yet Claude cuts him down and calls his notion an unachievable fantasy. Claude lets the truth slip in this exchange though as he tells Jiro he was meant to be a second Jiro, a replacement Jiro, and how he’d arrive at that role by defeating Jiro. In doing so, he denies the idealism Jiro stands for and briefly becomes the antithesis of Jiro.

Jiro Hitoyoshi, the man who claimed to be a normal personal devoid of any power at the beginning of this storyline, has his hand forced in the matter and he unlocks his own power in order to counter Claude, the man who cut a submarine in half, the man who inflamed the hearts of a nation’s youth, and the man that was meant to become what Jiro refused to be. Claude gets a taste of what true superhuman power is before he dies to a helmet malfunction.

From here the climax closes out with Judas finding redemption by bringing other superhumans to rescue the berserking Jiro. These are all the people Jiro touched throughout the show, the superhumans he saved and protected (including this episode’s student protesters who at least on paper would have been his opposition), and one could argue that the man who desired to be an ally of justice was actually that all along. The episode ends with the new state of the world being established as the revised superhuman laws fail to pass and we learn the truth about Jiro’s origin.

End Act III.

I didn’t intend to step through most of the events of these episodes at first but I thought it important as the more I reviewed them, the more I began to believe that Claude didn’t exactly have everything together, he wasn’t some sort of well prepared genius running long term gambits, and that he was as impressionable as his followers. Going through the events of his storyline let me jump back easily into where the real action was taking place because I’m pretty sure Claude wasn’t actually the real bad guy in all of this. TV Tropes has a term, The Dragon, for the enforcer character that the protagonist typically has to go through to fight his real enemy and Claude fits that so well. Who was the one pulling strings throughout and manufacturing a conflict?

Imperial Ads

I’m notorious for not picking up on subtext or subtle clues my first time through a work and this was no mistake. Touzaki & Satomi had an inordinate amount of screentime these episodes though and I had the worst time understanding why. I’m sure it was immediately obvious to some but let’s go through their appearances once again.

Their first appearance is meant as a delaying tactic for the stronger elements of the Bureau. Claude’s to make his debut and they insure it’ll be uninterrupted by making Jiro an offer they very well knew he’d refuse. Touzaki makes comments that only serve to reinforce Jiro’s bias against Imperial Ads and after he departs, she asks Satomi if Claude can be trusted. Satomi’s answer is beyond strange until one revisits it to realize Claude will put the tenets of the Bureau to the test and to see if they really can protect superhumans or if someone else is necessary to take up that particular sword.

The reach of Imperial Ads manifests again via Jacky of the Angel Stars who not only sets the stage for Claude but smuggles out the footage of his debut for later broadcast. Akita’s aware Imperial Ads is behind it and it’s enough to make one wonder if the presence of the Angel Stars in the footage allowed it to be broadcast in spite of the secrecy laws given they’re officially sanctioned superhumans. The news broadcast begins with a shot of the Angel Stars then transitions to elements described as “accidentally” showing the secret of the Antares.

Satomi next appears at the Hitoyoshi household. We learn he’s an old comrade of Magotake, was once considered superhuman himself, and that he’s there to feed Magotake information about Claude’s identity. Why? So he’d take the phonecall at the end of the episode. Satomi makes sure to remind Jiro that he’s part of Imperial Ads which quickly biases Jiro against him. Jiro’s quick to accuse Imperial Ads of acting in collusion with Claude. Rather than confirm or deny, Satomi says:
I think he’s rubbing Jiro’s nose in it and effectively telling Jiro what they’re doing. Satomi’s planting the idea of Jin being Claude quickly bears fruit as Magotake accidentally reinforces the notion after Jiro asks about Jin.

The scene directly following this one is Satomi talking to Jin. Here we learn Jin expected Jiro at Sapporo and not Kikko. Then why did he call her? Well, it’s another case of a small yet important detail blowing past if one isn’t attentive. When Satomi picks up the helmet, we learn something very interesting about it, namely how even if someone else was wearing it, the emitted voice was the same. It feels clear here that Satomi was more instrumental in pushing Kikko to Claude’s side than Claude himself. Satomi’s acting as an advisor to Jin as well. He informs Jin the Americans have been tipped off about Laika and Jin expresses genuine concern for him, hoping he arrives in Japan safely.

Touzaki’s next appearance is outside of the house where Claude is holed up. She’s apparently observing events and when Jiro appears, she’s quick to call it in. Jiro enters the house and takes over Claude’s phone call where he learns the truth about the Rainbow Knight. It’s uncertain who she contacted but Akita appears shortly thereafter in an attempt to intervene so it’s not entirely out of the question that she tipped the Bureau off herself. I don’t think it’s a case of Magotake telling Akita either as Jiro was reliant on Emi’s spirit fox to find Claude. Akita arriving in such a short amount of time implies he was told where to go and he arrives just in time as Claude was eroding Jiro’s faith in the Bureau. Claude makes the fatal mistake of attacking Akita here, ruining any chance of making Jiro understand his side.

Look who’s at the press conference about the Ogasawara findings and asking the toughest question out of the gate. Look at who’s indicted by the investigators. Look who’s quick to call out censorship of the media by an oppressive government as a human rights violation. Look who successfully managed the desired effect of undermining confidence in the government.

Their next shared appearance is a scene where they pressure Mitsuya about the student protests and how Claude will tip the balance in favor of the students. One would almost think Satomi was aware of the deal Mitsuya had with the Bureau for his support of the revised superhuman laws given how he calls out Mitsuya’s actual goals with them, leading Mitsuya to pressure the Bureau in turn. How does the Bureau react? They leak false information to gather the student protestors to a particular location to draw Claude out. Another stage has been set for Claude and the eyes of the nation will be on him.

They’re present at the Shinjuku riots as well. It’s to be Claude’s big breakout moment as his standing up to the government that’s not only repressed information about superhumans via the secrecy laws but also used them as weapons for war in the past. We know by now that Satomi has influence over Claude and having Claude as a national hero would serve his interests. What remains to be seen in the second cour if he was just as valuable as a civil rights martyr.

The above image is telling. It’s the final appearance of Touzaki and Satomi who are present at the voting of the revised secrecy laws. Notice how everyone present is distressed aside from Satomi who has this amazing look of smug self-satisfaction. Again, I’m sure others were far quicker on the uptake than I was but let’s examine the current state of the world at this point in time.

• The revised secrecy laws that would have actually constrained superhuman rights fails to pass.
  • Public confidence in the current government has been shaken due to the inhumane experiments conducted with the U.S.
  • The Superhuman Bureau is in tatters after losing two of its members.
  • Imperial Ad’s perpetual thorn-in-the-side Jiro Hitoyoshi no longer has the resources of the Bureau nor faith in his father.

I’m not saying this is the only way to interpret thing but it’s what I settled on after some long looks at the material. Without me realizing it, I think the bad guys won.

Narag

And the last thing I wanted to do with this little project was construct an illustrated timeline so here’s that.

Timeline

October Shnka 14

December Shinka 16

August Shinka 17

August Shinka 20
Magotake HItoyoshi retrieves infant Jiro from an impact crater in Hiroshima.

November Shinka 29

January Shinka 34

May Shinka 38

July Shinka 40

Januar Shinka 41

June Shinka 41

July Shinka 41

August 41 Shinka

November Shinka 41

February Shinka 42

April Shinka 42

July Shinka 42

August Shinka 42

September Shinka 42

October Shinka 42

November Shinka 42

December Shinka 42
Kikko seeks special medicine from Dr. Jin Nagakawa.

January Shinka 43

April Shinka 43
Infernal Queen, a group of criminals that assassinate anyone they deem evil, appear in Japan. The Superhuman Bureau repels with Hyouma killing their leader, a past version of himself.

June Shinka 43
Claude destroys the U.S.S. Antares in his debut in order to expose U.S. superhuman experimentation.

August Shinka 43
Claude slaughters members of a hospital that were continuing unethical superhuman research.

October Shinka 43
Golubaya Jiro is shot down by Master Ultima after heading to Ogasawara without authorization. Jiro defeats Claude during the Shinjuku riots. The revised superhuman laws fail to pass.

September Shinka 44

October Shinka 44

April Shinka 46

February Shinka 47

April Shinka 47

October Shinka 47

August Shinka 48

25th Century
Time Patrol officer Super Jaguar is dispatched to stop the Advocates of Free History.

Narag

Concrete Revolutio 14

It’s no secret that ConRevo is a show where you get out of it what you’re willing to put in and that for the show to win back the trust of the existing fans, it needed to follow up on all the promises made in the first cour by keeping them. Time and time again, we’d be given glimpses of the future with little context. Surely answers would come eventually but then we were left to infer chains of events and what drove the characters who often felt like a departure from the incarnation in the present. Throughout the first cour we saw Jiro’s slow turn against the Bureau and his future self actively at odds with it. Come episode 14, it was time to start putting our theories to the test and thankfully episode 14 complied beautifully.

Right off the bat, the show tackles what was probably the biggest tease of the first cour by giving us the aftermath of the episode 3 encounter between Jiro and Raito. It’s totally unexpected but in a good way.

Remember how Satomi said Imperial Ads was in the business of selling impressions? We get a taste of the recurring media manipulation that the show’s made a theme in a strange fourth wall breaking example. Everything about the episode 3 encounter seemed clear cut. Raito had turned into a criminal and was going to use Megasshin as a tool for a terrorist attack, Jiro appears just exuding a heroism that defaults to him as he’s the one fighting the bad guy, and even Megasshin judged Raito’s goals as untenable given they’re evil. Jiro and Raito throw down in what appears to be a massive final encounter and we’re teased so hard as we see them begin the fight and then episode ends. It’s all pretty clear cut.

Well it would be if that’s all we ever knew about it. Instead episode 14 provides us with additional context. The fight? No big deal in the end. Raito? Still a guy trying to find his place in the world and what justice is. Jiro? He’s shown as this affable dork that looks kindly upon Raito which is such a far cry from the frigidity he showed him in nearly every one of his previous encounters in the first cour. We learn why Jiro warms up to him in the Shinka 46 part of the episode but the February Shinka 47 is cast in a different light after seeing the episode’s March Shinka 47 bookends. Raito didn’t intend to just commit some attack with Megasshin, he had intended to use it to help protect his own revolutionary allies which he described as more or less doubtful and immature. He’s channeling Jiro and when he asks him at the end of episode if his motivations were wrong, Jiro says no. It was Raito’s method that was flawed as we realize just exactly what Jiro was doing in February Shinka 47. There was some concern his character had hardened and gained an edge to it that might be somewhat off putting but these fears never really manifested into reality. Instead Jiro was there to do the most Jiro thing possible. He was there to protect superhumans: Megasshin from Raito and Raito from himself.

The Shinka 46 stuff delivers too. It gives consequence to Kikko’s last meeting with Jiro in the first episode and the show finally begins to expound on Emi’s relationship with Jiro. That was something that was always present in the first cour but nearly always in the background. Emi’s possessiveness became more apparent as the first cour went on and is plainly stated in this ep. Her noticeable lack of appearances post-Jiro’s departure (save for episode 9) hints at this matter coming to a head this cour and receiving far more focus than it has previously allotted.

The meat of the Shinka 46 events on display are about Raito. It’s complementary to episode 3 which was his first focus episode and builds on the doubt that manifested in him as the first cour went on. He was a man struggling with the contradiction of his role in life yet trapped in a machine that couldn’t properly process said contradictions. The above screens are great as it’s first person, his memories, and it opens with his fight against Psy-Kicker (that I didn’t post). That leads to the role of him putting down a student riot by force. The prostate students evoke the memory of the dead superhumans trapped in the Antares which brings the sequence full circle since that was why Psy-Kicker had protested and fought him to begin with. He’s forced to consider if he’s actually doing the right thing and that’s the thread his character arc takes in this ep. Also of note is that the aftermath of the Psy-Kicker fight has Raito effectively telling Fuurouta he’s not who he was meant to be anymore.

Raito drops a bit of info about the current state of the world but gets to the core of his problem here. The police are meant to assist the military in quelling superhumans but the role of the police is to arrest criminals. Raito’s effectively been drafted into a hit squad that runs contrary to the identity he’s crafted for himself. It also really stands out that the other members present go with the flow but the robot detective is the one having second thoughts about it all. It’s just another day at the office for everyone else.

Washizu comes and serves his role well enough. He’s a robot detective himself, very similar to Raito in his core beliefs. For the sake of the narrative, he exists to let Raito externalize his issues. He’s able to see what someone like him actually is. The black and white worldview no longer comes so easily to Raito as the word of law might run contrary to what a good superhuman does but can a good superhuman truly be a criminal?

Jiro’s the one to finally tip the scale. He calls out Raito’s hypocrisy and he finally has his little meltdown as he’s forced to reconcile who and what he is now. He kills Washizu and takes the part of him he feels he needs to be able to properly process his worldview What’s easily missed here is he’s the one to fill Jiro’s role in this situation. Sure, he kills another superhuman but it’s not due to the course of law or because he’s ordered to, it’s to protect another superhuman which in turn moves Jiro.

But enough about Jiro and Raito, let’s get hyped for Daitetsu!

The last ED had a lot of foreshadowing and I expect this one to be no different. It seems like Daitetsu’s going to end up taking the Claude path of being manipulated by Satomi. The show loves its duality and having the new Claude being on the side of the government is fitting. It doesn't hurt Daitetsu was involved in the Rainbow Knight incident and has metal manipulation powers of his own.. I still assert that Claude was more or less the enforcer archetype for Satomi’s goals and it feels as if Daitetsu could be manipulated in the same fashion.

There’s other signs pointing to this such as the helmet that’s part of Daitetsu’s design now. We saw what his powers were capable of just a few years back and they weren’t all that impressive. His lone scene in the episode features the experimental helmet and how Satomi’s focus is entirely on him during the training. We’re also aware Jiro doesn’t meet Daitetsu again until October Shinka 47 and it’s under less than ideal circumstances. Daitetsu easily restrains Earth-chan during this encounter when he wasn’t able to during the Shinjuku riots which serves as a practical example of how powerful he’s grown. Really though, the most telling thing is the OP/ED imagery that shows Mechagodzilla facing down someone that was born of a nuclear weapon and rampaged Tokyo in 1954.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom