• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noob PC question: two vid cards?

MBison

i got a PC from a friend and it has an Intel HD graphics driver in it and an nvidia 750 ti

When I run a game like mortal kombat 9 off steam and use the advanced configure it only lists the Intel card as available

But when I right click on desktop the nvidia control panel is there

How can I make games default to the nvidia card or even make it show up as an option.

Windows 8.1. Sorry not tech savvy. Really appreciate any help.

You might also be able to disable it in "Device Manager". Make sure that the cables connecting to your monitor(s) are connected to the video cards and the not the motherboard though.

Corpekata

Banned
Go to Device Manager, check under display adapter, make sure the Nvidia card is there.

Install the latest Nvidia drivers if you haven't yet.

Most games should default to the Nvidia card, if they're not, you'll need to disable the onbard, can be done in Bios or Device Manager (make sure you just disable it, don't uninstall it).

I'm plugging the hdmi out straight into a TV.

Be sure that the HDMI is plugged on the video card output, it sounds it is plugged on the onboard video output.

Usually video cards tend to be perpendicular against the order of other sockets (since the card is plugged that way on the motherboard)

:)

MBison

Okay first off it's one of those Asus console pcs.

This one:

ASUS GR8-R047R Desktop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PY0TD5O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It only had one hdmi port. It was something called a display port port but it's not hdmi.

I tried disabling the Intel in the device manager and then mortal kombat says it's now using basic render. And when I then right click on the nvidia control panel it says I don't have a display hooked up to my nvidia.

When I enable Intel back then nvidia control panel loads up again.

I updated to the latest nvidia drivers

Mortal kombat seems to run fine at max settings but honestly I can't tell you what video card it's using and only the Intel shows up when I used advanced config.

I just want to make sure it's using the nvidia lol.

Sorry again for being such a noob.

shockdude

This one:

It only had one hdmi port. It was something called a display port port but it's not hdmi.

I tried disabling the Intel in the device manager and then mortal kombat says it's now using basic render. And when I then right click on the nvidia control panel it says I don't have a display hooked up to my nvidia.

Mortal kombat seems to run fine at max settings but honestly I can't tell you what video card it's using and only the Intel shows up when I used advanced config.

Oh boy, that's a strange desktop you have there.

Can you take a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel? With that, it's pretty easy to determine whether your computer is designed like a traditional desktop or designed more like a laptop. Based on what you've said, I have a hunch it's the latter.

Corpekata

Banned
If you want a quick way to see what GPU it is using by default, download MSI afterburner and run it, it'll show you the GPU name and driver at the top.

MBison

Oh boy, that's a strange desktop you have there.

Can you take a screenshot of your Nvidia Control Panel? With that, it's pretty easy to determine whether your computer is designed like a traditional desktop or designed more like a laptop. Based on what you've said, I have a hunch it's the latter.

The control panel just is the manage 3d settings

That's all. Adjust image settings with preview. Set physx config.

I can take a pic if needed

Ferrio

Banned
Maybe the nvidia card can only be connected to via Display Port?

edit: Also why would you design a console type PC and use a mobo with built in video if it has a video card anyways?

Clydefrog

This one:

Looking at the reviews in that Amazon link, it seems at least two people had the same problem you now have!

One guy said it's easily resolved when entering the nvidia graphics set up. ??

poodaddy

Look it's using the GPU in MK if you're running it maxed and it's getting 60 fps at 1080p. Integrated graphics wouldn't be pulling that off, assuming you've got aa maxed as well. Do you have Future Mark or any benchmark software? If so run the bench and screenshot it then post the screenshot. Also if you have SF4 you could run that benchmark and post your result screen here.

MBison

Looking at the reviews in that Amazon link, it seems at least two people had the same problem you now have!

One guy said it's easily resolved when entering the nvidia graphics set up. ??

I saw the review. Any idea where that would be? I have the GeForce experience thing just not sure where that is.

shockdude

The control panel just is the manage 3d settings

That's all. Adjust image settings with preview. Set physx config.

I can take a pic if needed
Your desktop is designed like a laptop. Fun times ahead, lol.

Gaming laptops are designed so that they use Intel Graphics by default (to save power), and they only enable the Nvidia GPU when games need them. This feature is known as "Nvidia Optimus," and it tends to be pretty finicky.
Since you're using a desktop, I assume you don't really care about power saving. Open the Nvidia Control Panel, click "Manage 3D settings," click the Global Settings tab, set the Preferred Graphics Processor to "High Performance NVIDIA Processor," then click Apply.

Some games don't correctly detect the Nvidia GPU in their options menus, but it shouldn't matter. Enjoy your computer!

Have you tried redisabling the Intel now that you installed the Nvidia drivers?
Don't disable the Intel Graphics. Gaming laptops are weird like that, and a desktop designed like a laptop is even weirder lol.

MBison

Look it's using the GPU in MK if you're running it maxed and it's getting 60 fps at 1080p. Integrated graphics wouldn't be pulling that off, assuming you've got aa maxed as well. Do you have Future Mark or any benchmark software? If so run the bench and screenshot it then post the screenshot. Also if you have SF4 you could run that benchmark and post your result screen here.

Ok thanks I will.

Thanks for the help everyone

poodaddy

Oh and to enter the Nvidia Control Panel just right click on the desktop screen and click Nvidia Control panel. That's where you can customize all of this. It's pretty simple and straight forward to be honest. Once you get used to it it'll be second nature.

poodaddy

Lol

Ok using msi mortal kombat is getting 60 fps constant on max so I assume it's using the nvidia lol

Yup. Just remember that integrated graphics tend to struggle with 1080p on almost all modern games, so if it's running well it's probably utilizing the discrete GPU. On another note, I figure I should mention that the PC version of Ultra Street Fighter 4 is excellent. Seeing as you're a fellow SF fan I thought you might like to pick that up if you haven't already :)

MBison

Yup. Just remember that integrated graphics tend to struggle with 1080p on almost all modern games, so if it's running well it's probably utilizing the discrete GPU. On another note, I figure I should mention that the PC version of Ultra Street Fighter 4 is excellent. Seeing as you're a fellow SF fan I thought you might like to pick that up if you haven't already :)

Yeah, I'm still worried about some games choosing the integrated graphics.

What's the rationale behind asus putting both on a "gaming console"?

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, I'm still worried about some games choosing the integrated graphics.

What's the rationale behind asus putting both on a "gaming console"?

As someone said earlier it's a laptop feature to conserve power. Whoever made this thing was just using laptop parts.

poodaddy

It's a standard feature period. It's hard to find a MOBO / CPU combo without an onboard GPU these days.

Yup this is the case. I use an X79 motherboard and CPU; every notable motherboard and CPU since that generation has included integrated graphics of some type. I think it's honestly a good thing as not everyone wants or needs a discrete GPU nowadays, especially if someone's getting a PC purely for Minecraft or Facebook games or some other such nonsense. Having onboard video also can make troubleshooting certain issues a bit easier sometimes as it's near impossible to effectively troubleshoot GPU driver compatibility issues while being forced to use the GPU in question to maintain a picture. I'm looking to upgrade my motherboard and CPU soon for that very reason, though I'm dreading the new PC set up -_- . I think I dread easy but time consuming tasks far more than difficult but quick tasks.

Top Bottom