• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox 360 Gameplay (woah, Nixxes)

Considering the game was made specially made for X1, Nixxes did a hell of a good job porting this to a 10-year-old console. I'm impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef0mU6VLUzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeiYJUGcNGE

EDIT: The cutscenes seem to be pre-rendered from the X1 build (see 13:00 from the first video).

And then you see the shift to last gen again in 15:35.

You can notice the little details (lighting especially) that make current gen expectedly more impressive looking.

Lock if old

Bookman

Wtf... this is really Amazing.it will become interesting when well get comparison videos.
One wonders how much of the gaming experience is lost if you should choose to buy this on 360? it feels like the 360 version will be one sale pretty soon?

The cutscenes seem to be pre-rendered from the X1 build (see 13:00 from the first video).

And then you see the shift to last gen again in 15:35.

You can notice the little details (lighting especially) that make current gen expectedly more impressive looking.

Gurish

I'm not buying this "made specially for XB1"

If both games are identical in terms of level design, scope and gameplay it means they did considered that the game needs to run on a 360.

If both games are identical in terms of level design, scope and gameplay it means they did considered that the game needs to run on a 360.

Pretty much. Treyarch was at least honest with their game scope.

zsynqx

I watched some other videos from his walkthrough and different parts of the game don't hold up quite as well. At times, it is one of the best looking last gen games ever but does appear to have a couple of rough spots.

That is unreal. The differences are definitely there but it's not the jump you would expect considering how amazing the port they did is.

nubbe

Looks great

Indeed, a game designed for a platform with 5GB RAM and one with 512MB RAM would not be so compatible

roytheone

I hope Nixxus are working on the PC port, Deus Ex: HR and TR2013 where amazing.

I am pretty sure they are. They do almost all of the pc ports of square-enix games that aren't being done in house. Can't think of a reason it will be different this time.

JayB1920

They did a great job with the 360 version and many areas look quite similar. The Xbox One looks vastly superior in some areas though with he lighting.

Hjna1Kr.png

xam6wff.png

fhovfRf.jpg

eLX0pwQ.jpg

5edMYIF.jpg

e677TdU.png

RowdyReverb

They did a great job with the 360 version and many areas look quite similar. The Xbox One looks vastly superior in some areas though with he lighting.
The 360 version is obviously a generation behind in visuals, but it's still impressive for that system. Though, the 360's shortcomings would probably be more apparent with a direct feed on a big TV

FyreWulff

You should read up on the story about Titanfall 360. When Bluepoint was given their first build to work on from the One base, they didn't even have enough RAM to load all of a level's geometry, let alone anything else.

You can totally make a downport without the original game considering the old hardware. Nixxes either had to fake effects and dropped the most memory-intensive effects while playing to the 360's strengths. There's a couple of videos where you can see they made massive cosmetic cuts compared to the One to get it to run, but they did it in a way that looked okay.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Very impressive! Now I'm wondering if I should just get the 360 version rather than wait for PS4...

I'm probably going to double dip. Get the 360 version to support Nixxes and then (hopefully) their PS4 port day one next year.

I just want to support them to get their status up. Ever since their work on the previous game, i've wanted them noticed in the same light as Bluepoint and Hexadrive. It wasn't just the case of a fluke, literally all the Tomb Raider 2013's they worked on were better by far than the versions they did not work on.

And this looks to be a bluepoint like Titanfall 360 situation, but even better.

Yoday

You should read up on the story about Titanfall 360. When Bluepoint was given their first build to work on from the One base, they didn't even have enough RAM to load all of a level's geometry, let alone anything else.

You can totally make a downport without the original game considering the old hardware. Nixxes either had to fake effects and dropped the most memory-intensive effects while playing to the 360's strengths. There's a couple of videos where you can see they made massive cosmetic cuts compared to the One to get it to run, but they did it in a way that looked okay.
Indeed. This port looks fantastic, and the character model is better than just about anything else on the 360, but there are clear areas where massive sacrifices were made in order to get the game ported over. Specifically there are some incredibly low resolution textures in many places that look closer to what you would expect on the original Xbox, and things like foliage look pretty bad with a complete lack of any kind of shadows. Geometry also looks to reach some pretty low poly counts. The final product is pretty damn impressive and IMO it just goes to show how well Nixxes hid their corner cutting with great lighting and overall scope.

Hjna1Kr.png

xam6wff.png

fhovfRf.jpg

eLX0pwQ.jpg

5edMYIF.jpg

e677TdU.png
I can't wait till cross gen games are done with. As great as this game looks, I can't help but wonder how much higher the poly count and overall art design could be without the base 360 limitations needed to be kept in mind.

Was going to say exactly this. Just because some very talented devs got this running on the 360, and looking great, does not in any way mean it was built with last gen in mind. People need to start accepting that.

ps3ud0

Why a Nixxes ported RoTR on PC/PS4 actually will be a good thing, especially looking at how they did a better job on the PS4 version of the last game

ps3ud0 8)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ They did a better job on the PS3 version than the lead platform 360 version too IMO.

Was going to say exactly this. Just because some very talented devs got this running on the 360, and looking great, does not in any way mean it was built with last gen in mind. People need to start accepting that.

I think the people who say otherwise are the kind who just want to slander Nixxes or the main game cause its XB1 exclusive for now.

Nixxes are just that talented, to take a game built for XB1 and make it run at this level on 360.

Any downporting studio can make cuts, but doing that in a smart way that keeps the game in a great position takes talent

X360 really must be one of the best build console hardwares ever. 10 years later and you still get such a great looking games (difference to PS3 being that X360 has always been way cheaper to manufacture).

It looks like actually took their time to use different assets and effects, while carefully reducing the complexity of the environments, to get something that while obviously last-gen, looks pretty good.

Compare that with a lot of downports we've seen, where the base game has been taken and simply had things stripped out of it until it ran (often poorly) on the last-gen consoles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Woah now, that 360 footage looks pretty amazing.

Nixxess, take a bow. You've taken the time to make a good last gen port, something 90% of cross-gen games this last 2 years neglected.

edit: going by first video, graphically and effect wise it looks like a decent leap from TR 2013 on 360.

Yup. Until I see a quote from CD admitting that the Xbox One version was deliberately held back to make the downport feasible, I'm just going to have to assume that Nixxes knows witchcraft.

Thinking about it, if they're always given the PC/PS ports to do, that's one odd benefit to Crystal Dynamics bizarre fixation on Xbox, that way the majority of the player base get the best possible version of the game their systems are capable of.

Yup. Until I see a quote from CD admitting that the Xbox One version was deliberately held back to make the downport feasible, I'm just going to have to assume that Nixxes knows witchcraft.
It could just be a case of the game design being workable on the older consoles. They didn't want to stray too much from TR2013 so they still have the hubs and stuff, and combat encounters seem quite similar. I don't think they were consciously thinking about the 360 version, just coincidentally designed a game that would work on both.

Top Bottom