• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox 360 Gameplay (woah, Nixxes)

I can't wait till cross gen games are done with. As great as this game looks, I can't help but wonder how much higher the poly count and overall art design could be without the base 360 limitations needed to be kept in mind.

Really

It still looks like the best looking game on xbox one to date

Kezen

Banned
I know the question is asked many times but Nixxes will seemingly not be fully in charge of the PC/PS4 versions.
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=152129
Granted the wording is somewhat vague, CD could supervise Nixxes' work and it would be strange for them not to port a project they must be very familiar with. Nixxes know a great deal about the engine, the codebase, they are the ones who should do the PC port.

It still looks like the best looking game on xbox one to date
I'm more impressed by Ryse honestly, but the resolution certainly helped (900p vs 1080p for ROTTR).

Harlequin

I can't wait till cross gen games are done with. As great as this game looks, I can't help but wonder how much higher the poly count and overall art design could be without the base 360 limitations needed to be kept in mind.

You can see that many assets have had their polycount reduced in the 360 version when compared to the same assets in the Xbone version so I don't think they really held back (at least not on the polycounts).

I know the question is asked many times but Nixxes will seemingly not be fully in charge of the PC/PS4 versions.
Granted the wording is somewhat vague, CD could supervise Nixxes' work.

I'm almost certain that that's what it means. Just like Crystal supervised the 360 port or supervised the work on the PS3 and PC ports of the 2013 game (both of which were also done by Nixxes). It doesn't mean that Crystal is actually going to do any of the grunt work, just that they'll look it over and give their okay, basically.

Kezen

Banned
Yup. This TR looks like it was made with Lastgen in mind.

It had to, otherwise there would be no 360 skus.
The game still looks good on Xbox One, but I wish they would have left the old hardware behind.

Hopefully the PC version is fully modern (64 bits, quad core CPU and DX11 as the base) and they don't waste time making it scale as low as the 360.

jesu

Might play it for the achievements some day.
I'm still waiting for a cheap version of Forza Horizon 2 360.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Granted the wording is somewhat vague, CD could supervise Nixxes' work and it would be strange for them not to port a project they must be very familiar with. Nixxes know a great deal about the engine, the codebase, they are the ones who should do the PC port.
for ROTTR).

I hope they do end up doing the PS4 and PC ports. They will have many months to port the code base over to PS4 and PC after they are done with the 360 version...i really don't want Crystal dynamics or anyone else on those ports, Nixxes should do them

Kezen

Banned
I hope they do end up doing the PS4 and PC ports. They will have many months to port the code base over to PS4 and PC after they are done with the 360 version...i really don't want Crystal dynamics or anyone else on those ports, Nixxes should do them
"Many months" ? That's not sufficient for a high quality PC version, and expectations are high after the brillance that was TR2013. I can't imagine them working on it only after being done with the 360 sku, or it will be a straight port without a bell or a whistle.
If they were porting the game they would have announced it when the PC version became more and than a safe bet. Like it was made official that Nixxes were handling the 360 version in February or so.

It's possible somebody else is doing it, another Square Enix studio (the Sleeping Dogs guys ?).

nOoblet16

Why are people surprised that Xbox 360 is able to "pull this off" ?
This looks no better or worse than TR 2013 on Xbox 360, now the fact that other port jobs recently have not been (Black Ops 3) doesn't changes that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yup. Until I see a quote from CD admitting that the Xbox One version was deliberately held back to make the downport feasible, I'm just going to have to assume that Nixxes knows witchcraft.

It's not witch craft, it's just developers who give a damn and are probably given a decent budget to get the job done, Nixxess ported TR 2013 to PS3 and PC, CD was only directly developing the 360 version. PS3 version turned out to be better in that case.

HardRojo

Doesn't look bad at all, but man I kept forgetting this was getting a last gen release. It's incredible what marketing does.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"Many months" ? That's not sufficient for a high quality PC version, and expectations are high after the brillance that was TR2013. I can't imagine them working on it only after being done with the 360 sku, or it will be a straight port without a bell or a whistle.
If they were porting the game they would have announced it when the PC version became more and than a safe bet. Like it was made official that Nixxes were handling the 360 version in February or so.

It's possible somebody else is doing it, another Square Enix studio (the Sleeping Dogs guys ?).

Eh, i'm just hoping against hope. I don't have confidence in Crystal dynamics to make a good PS4 or PC port, they've never done them. And who knows who else SE would throw out there to make a PC or PS4 port after getting their money from MS for the priority version

This looks no better or worse than TR 2013 on Xbox 360, now the fact that other port jobs recently have not been (Black Ops 3) doesn't changes that.

It definitely looks better than TR13. Laras model alone looks notibly better

Dredd97

hasn't it already been said the CD will be doing the PS4 / PC versions as this was always a multi plat title?

Setsuna

Eh, i'm just hoping against hope. I don't have confidence in Crystal dynamics to make a good PS4 or PC port, they've never done them. And who knows who else SE would throw out there to make a PC or PS4 port after getting their money from MS for the priority version

Didnt they already do that for Tomb Raider

Shredderi

Whoa. Nicely fucking done Nixxes! Nixxes getting shit done. They propably could have done more with the current-gen version if they would have dropped the old hardware but that was no doubt square-enix's decision, not Crystal Dynamics'. People still not on the current-gen hardware won't be disappointed with their tomb raider it seems. Hope these guys do the pc porting as well.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Xbox One is basically a PC, though. This isn't the same as moving from PPC based 360 to the Cell or something.

Kezen

Banned

Well we can only wait, and see.

Xbox One is basically a PC, though. This isn't the same as moving from PPC based 360 to the Cell or something.
I wonder how much of that is true. APU is different from CPU + discrete GPU so different practices must apply.

zatara

I just think people are surprised that a publisher cared enough about old gen that they got a competent dev to make the game instead of just putting out a piece of shit like what happened with BLOPS3.

I mean, it's clear that RotTR's level design lends itself well to the 360's hardware - whether because CD held it back due to cross-gen or because they simply wanted to stuck with TR2013's - but that doesn't detract from the excellent work made by Nixxes.

Ricker

I was just thinking about getting the 360 version last week,instead of buying a One and that version...I dont feel like waiting a year and I would rather buy a WiiU for now,because of Xenoblade instead...the X1 will probably have to wait a little longer for me...also it seems the Tomb Raider bundle is not available in Canada.

adamsapple

I hope DF does a cross-gen comparison for this, seems interesting and a direct head to head will be great.

Is RoTR on XB1 60FPS ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I hope DF does a cross-gen comparison for this, seems interesting and a direct head to head will be great.

Is RoTR on XB1 60FPS ?
I'm absolutely planning to do a cross-gen comparison. My XO analysis is basically complete but we don't yet have a copy of the 360 game. We'll probably have to buy it, I guess.

The XO game targets 30 fps, I should note, not 60.

adamsapple

I'm absolutely planning to do a cross-gen comparison. My XO analysis is basically complete but we don't yet have a copy of the 360 game. We'll probably have to buy it, I guess.

The XO game targets 30 fps, I should note, not 60.

'targets' .. makes it sound like it's not as solid as it could be.

Waiting on the analysis, but for this I think i'll play it on my aging 360. Need to retire it in a few months, will do along with PS3 once Persona 5 comes out.

diamount

Banned

That's not how it works. The Xbone version was downgraded so it would run suitably on the 360 version, not the other way round.

Green Yoshi

Was going to say exactly this. Just because some very talented devs got this running on the 360, and looking great, does not in any way mean it was built with last gen in mind. People need to start accepting that.
It uses the same graphics engine as the Tomb Raider reboot. And this engine was developed with 360&PS3 in mind.

You should read up on the story about Titanfall 360. When Bluepoint was given their first build to work on from the One base, they didn't even have enough RAM to load all of a level's geometry, let alone anything else.

You can totally make a downport without the original game considering the old hardware. Nixxes either had to fake effects and dropped the most memory-intensive effects while playing to the 360's strengths. There's a couple of videos where you can see they made massive cosmetic cuts compared to the One to get it to run, but they did it in a way that looked okay.

Most of the issues were related to texture and alpha effects, you also fail to account at one point that Titanfall was a 360 title and their along with their DX9 libraries were kept in lock when it was converted to the X1, that is, until MS requested BP to make a 360 port. In short, they weren't starting from ground zero. On top of that, the performance was comparable only in the most favorable of conditions but a 30fps performance was just by the least optimal hence the lock option.

I'm actually going to have a really hard time believing they will pull off the scale of U4 or the Witcher 3 to port it on last-gen consoles even with all the sacrifices considered.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Considering the game was made specially made for X1
lol yeah right
It's obviously running on the TRDE engine which can obviously be scaled back for last gen.
There's nothing specially about it, this is not a current gen only engine.
But Nixxes are good with their ports.

Harlequin

lol yeah right
It's obviously running on the TRDE engine which can obviously be scaled back for last gen.
There's nothing specially about it, this is not a current gen only engine.
But Nixxes are good with their ports.

All of Crystal's TR games have been using variations of the same engine since Tomb Raider: Legend. I don't see what that has to do with anything. (I'm not saying that they really didn't pay any mind to the 360 version during development of the Xbone version but the fact that it's using a variation of the same engine honestly doesn't have anything to do with that.)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
All of Crystal's TR games have been using variations of the same engine since Tomb Raider: Legend. I don't see what that has to do with anything. (I'm not saying that they really didn't pay any mind to the 360 version during development of the Xbone version but the fact that it's using a variation of the same engine honestly doesn't have anything to do with that.)
I'm basically saying that the engine is their lastgen engine and isn't made specially for current gen and is just using the version they used for TRDE, so it's not surprising it looks good on lastgen.
But Nixxes is a very good development team.

They will make those versions. Crystal Dynamics haven't made a game on a non-Xbox platform since the PS2 era. Every version of TR (including Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris) on the PS3/4 and PC were developed by Nixxes.

Harlequin

I'm basically saying that the engine is their lastgen engine and isn't made specially for current gen and is just using the version they used for TRDE, so it's not surprising it looks good on lastgen.
But Nixxes is a very good development team.

Yeah, no. I may not be an expert on the subject but that's not how engines work.

damn that is impressive, maybe I can convince my buddy to just get this instead of going out to get an xbone just TR (he was thinking about just getting it to play TR then sell/trade in the system lol)

I'm not buying this "made specially for XB1"

If both games are identical in terms of level design, scope and gameplay it means they did considered that the game needs to run on a 360.

Can you help me name a few current gen only games that would be impossible on old gen? I'm genuinely interested.

Kezen

Banned
Can you help me name a few current gen only games that would be impossible on old gen? I'm genuinely interested.

I don't see how Ryse could be down ported to Xbox 360 even with vastly reduced asset quality. Crytek apparently had to optimize it very well to fit within 5gb.

Top Bottom