• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Xbox 360 Gameplay (woah, Nixxes)

Only 10 hours completion time? That seems a lot shorter than I expected. I thought the inclusion of much bigger tombs would have expanded the length by a fair bit.

I'm assuming your ten hour completion rate didn't involve you completing it 100%?
Maybe 12-15 hours? Didnt count, and no only 70%.

Teemo

Banned
10 hrs seems kinda short. I was hoping for 20 hrs. Did you just focus on the main quest/campaign and not explore and do the side tombs or anything?

You said it was easy on hard, is there another difficulty that's harder than hard mode?

Very good to hear, Nixxies does really solid work. The PC version of the 2013 reboot was an excellent port and if I'm not mistaken they also handled the PS4 Definitive Edition version too. I was really surprised they even bothered to make a 360 version to begin with.

Conduit

Banned
Beat the game in 10 hours.

Overall, it's great but I still prefer the last one.

Pros:
- Solid graphics, same great gameplay
- So. Many. Collectibles. Holy shit.
- A lot of good puzzles, challenge tombs

Cons:
- Not a ton of variety in environments
- Frame-rate drops in combat
- Game is way too easy even on hard

Didnt count, and no only 70%.

Hm... i expected longer campaign with optional tombs, puzzles and collectibles. Seems to short.

When comparing them side by side the 360 version looks like hot garbage, but by itself it's a genuinely impressive looking experience. Great stuff.

Ten hours is the right length for an action-movie-style game like this, IMO. Any less and it would be too short for $60, but too much more and the adventure would start to feel overly drawn out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Nixxes is amazing. There is also a 300mb day one patch (according to a player on TR forums) that improves the visuals even further compared to the leaked videos. Sorry about the black crush in the screens but these give an idea.

HwJRnUW.jpg
(missing sun effect)
swoVmNs.jpg

BvqZWpj.jpg
(missing plants)
h2X9TYX.jpg

JBhQ0eh.jpg
(missing plant shadows)
vK4c29n.jpg

OlLfsac.jpg
(missing wet efect and shadows)
Gj9bpNk.jpg

;_; So beautiful.

This before and after the day 1 patch really shows how much effort they put into crafting a great experience.

Day 1 for 360 and then day one for PS4. Nixxes just compels me to support their work and effort

NeatoKuni

This is SUPER impressive. Watching these videos makes the sting of waiting for PS4 hurt that much more. I might just pick it up and borrow a friends 360 since almost all of them have upgraded already.

So no one as considered yet that maybe the game design lends itself to easy cross generation scaling or that the ROTR is actually not that technically impressive to begin with??

Sorry didn't read the thread but these sound like rather plausible explanations to me.

Just surprised people aren't expecting more from a nextgen title. The Xb1 is 10x more powerful than a 360.....

I feel it is all just considerably less impressive than say Quantum Break.

Arklite

So no one as considered yet that maybe the game design lends itself to easy cross generation scaling or that the ROTR is actually not that technically impressive to begin with??

Sorry didn't read the thread but these sound like rather plausible explanations to me.

Just surprised people aren't expecting more from a nextgen title. The Xb1 is 10x more powerful than a 360.....

We know it's running off the previous engine in an upgraded form with improved effects, but the end result still makes for impressive current gen visuals. I suppose the more surprising aspect is that the 360 got a high quality port vs a terrible second thought port.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Diminishing returns. In general, you could scale down any number of current gen systems and have them run on PSP with enough cutting

Gbraga

I'm not buying this "made specially for XB1"

If both games are identical in terms of level design, scope and gameplay it means they did considered that the game needs to run on a 360.

Not necessarily. Bigger isn't always better, it's absolutely possible and likely that they were just happy with the scope and didn't feel like making it bigger just because.

GTA V runs on PS360, does that mean any game that's smaller, even if it didn't even come out on PS360, was made with last gen in mind?

Better hardware allows for more possibilities, that's for sure, but it doesn't mean everyone will take them all the time.

Well, it kinda does, since everything is open world now, but it shouldn't.

Nixxes is amazing. There is also a 300mb day one patch (according to a player on TR forums) that improves the visuals even further compared to the leaked videos. Sorry about the black crush in the screens but these give an idea.

HwJRnUW.jpg
(missing sun effect)
swoVmNs.jpg

BvqZWpj.jpg
(missing plants)
h2X9TYX.jpg

JBhQ0eh.jpg
(missing plant shadows)
vK4c29n.jpg

OlLfsac.jpg
(missing wet efect and shadows)
Gj9bpNk.jpg

This is the most important post in this thread. Almost all of the gameplay on YouTube appears to be from the unpatched version, which is likely pirates playing offline - including all of the "Graphics Comparison" videos I've seen floating around. I did find one uploader who appears to be playing a legitimate patched copy, and although the original looks great, the patched version looks somehow even better.

Edit: It's here: https://youtu.be/1zsmt6Hyew0

Effect

This is why bad ports should not be accepted or excuses why something looks bad should just be accepted. Developers know the specs of the hardware they're making the game or port on. It hasn't in the last several years. Craft the experience around that platforms strengths and weaknesses. Do not ignore that you have engines that work on those systems. Uses them and expand them. They didn't suddenly disappear because a new system come on the scene. If you want to make a good game you can and you will if you allow the team to. If you respect your customer base and want to give them a quality product. True there comes a point where you can't do certain things on a system. Then you move on. If you aren't willing to cut things off then you better damn well produce something good. Customer should expect something good if the attempt is going to be made.

If this holds up for the rest of the game then well done Nixxes, Microsoft, Crystal Dynamics, and everyone else involved.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is the most important post in this thread. Almost all of the gameplay on YouTube appears to be from the unpatched version, which is likely pirates playing offline - including all of the "Graphics Comparison" videos I've seen floating around. I did find one uploader who appears to be playing a legitimate patched copy, and although the original looks great, the patched version looks somehow even better.

Edit: It's here: https://youtu.be/1zsmt6Hyew0

Damn, that looks good, someone needs to a side by side with this patched version and the bone, the unpatched comparisons i've seen are all missing the wet suit and light shaft effects, this brings it that much closer to the bone version.

edit: IGN has a comparison video up as well:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/11/1...ider-graphics-comparison-xbox-one-vs-xbox-360

RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER GRAPHICS COMPARISON XBOX ONE VS XBOX 360
→ 09 NOV 2015 How does the Xbox 360 version stack up against the Xbox One? Surprisingly well.

Top Bottom