• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade (Collectible Badge Center) coming to Europe on November 13

JoeM86

Just been announced. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2KEDGzJurY

Over a year after it came in Japan, the Collectible Badge Center game has come to Europe. This game is a crane game that lets you win badges from many Nintendo franchises (Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Pokémon etc.) that can be used to decorate your 3DS home screen. It adds new ones each week and changes with older ones every couple of days to make sure you get them if you miss them.

In Japan, there are currently over 3,000 badges that have been added over the last year with more coming every week so plenty of backlog to go through.

Press Release
Owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems can already customise their system’s HOME Menu with a range of colourful themes, and they’ll soon be able to take that personalisation to a whole new level with Nintendo Badge Arcade, coming to Nintendo eShop as a free download* from 13th November.

In this lively arcade run by a chatty rabbit, players can take a shot at crane games and similar classic amusements, collecting badges based on Nintendo games and series like Mario Kart, Splatoon and Animal Crossing. Badges can be used to decorate the HOME Menu, with some even usable instead of the standard system icons that access, among others, Nintendo eShop and StreetPass Mii Plaza – perfect for total HOME Menu makeovers.

Every day, visitors to the arcade get five free plays on a practice machine: it only offers dummy badges, but with skill and a little bit of luck, players can win free plays for the machines packed with real badges. Plays can also be bought at a price of £0.90 / €1.00 for five plays**.

Players can show off their unique HOME Menu designs via Miiverse, and check out other creators’ designs for inspiration. There’ll be plenty to discover in the weeks and months following launch too, as the badges and machines on offer will change regularly, opening up even more customisation possibilities.

So whether you’re creating a Mario Kart-style starting grid or adding a splat of colour with the Splatoon badges, there’ll be plenty of new ways to liven up your Nintendo 3DS family system’s HOME Menu when Nintendo Badge Arcade launches in Nintendo eShop on 13th November.

Yukinari

NoA as usual is the last one to the party with this stuff. I thought it would never leave Japan but i guess they realize how much easy money it would make.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, Nintendo's luck-based money-drain? Who asked for that? And: Will the 3DS now be rated PEGI 18+? From the sound it is gambling, isn't it?

Phoenixus

Feckin FINALLY. I'm gonna lose so much money to this. :p

This trailer would've been perfect for a Direct... :(

Praying for Wonderful 101 stickers.

JoeM86

I was playing this on and off on the Japanese one until recently, when Pokémon start coming.

I've spent ~£30 on it so far.

georly

Ohgodohgodohgod finally.

Plz come to US. RIP wallet.

I'll pretty much get zelda stuff, exclusively. I can't wait.

Maybe this is the unannounced title releasing in 2015? :p (I know it isn't because he was speaking to a japanese audience, no?)

It's 5 am on the west coast, so I don't expect an announcement for another 2.5-3+ hours in the US, if we get one today.

What is this??? Wait, you can tune your home menu with this shit? :)
You get 5 chances of the crane at about 1 dollar local currency. You can get 3+ most of the time. Badges can be used to decorate your home screen. First round was Mario and Animal Crossing.
Oh and Zelda stuff was MM, LBW, WW, and Tri-Force Heroes.

D.Lo

So can you spend money and not get anything in return? Is that possible?

If so, I'm a big non-fan.

If you always 'win' at least something then I guess it's just adding some randomness to customisation?

How much can you choose what badges you get? Can you choose the game/franchise at least? Are there rare ones?
No rare, badge selection rotates per week, you can choose what area you want to use crane. You are not locked into an area, so 2 can be one area, 3 in the other. Area will reset if you quit the game.

If you always 'win' at least something then I guess it's just adding some randomness to customisation?
I never not won a badge playing. Some areas do have dickish designs though...

This is good news! I have spent far too much money trying to complete sets of badges on my Japanese 3DS, but the conversion from AUD to Yen makes it that much more expensive.

JoeM86

You don't always win something, but you do have to be pretty inept to not get anything in most of the panels.

georly

This is something I actually want to come to mobile. Probably hard to do for iOS though.

For your actual home screen? It'd just be app icons basically. Dunno how great that would be.

If nintendo has some sort of 'hub' app that links all of its nintendo account games, then it'd be cool for that. What's more likely is miitomo being the hub that you use to express yourself, so you'd decorate your miitomo's room and buy your miitomo costumes. Hopefully it's not gacha based, I'd die (and actually just probably not participate outside of free gachas).

Expect the sales bunny to be an emotionless robot here and to have to buy players from a trolley ala streetpass mii plaza regional changes.

Now bring us Rusty too ;)
Rusty still has the problem of emotionally blackmailing players into spending money* and I wouldn't want NOE to remove the story element completely as I hear that was as good as the minigames were.

Wait, Europe doesn't have Rusty yet?
*-More info on why that is a problem here:
http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3682

I'm sure a normal priced version of Rusty could work where you just don't unlock the games until you do the equivalent of haggle him down.

Top Bottom