• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Badge Arcade (Collectible Badge Center) coming to Europe on November 13

Nintendo discovered Valve hats.

Stuff like this and Amiibos and Nintendo will be just like Valve and make tons of money not making games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Good.
I don't get this part: is there a way to pick up badges for free? Or am I "forced" to spend real money for them?

Good.
I don't get this part: is there a way to pick up badges for free? Or am I "forced" to spend real money for them?

From the press release in the OP:

NoE said:
Every day, visitors to the arcade get five free plays on a practice machine: it only offers dummy badges, but with skill and a little bit of luck, players can win free plays for the machines packed with real badges.

Which means, if you're lucky & skilled, you may earn a try at the game for free.

Good.
Sometimes they'll give you free tries, and there's a trick that you "shake" the stage and get some badges without spending your tries.

Good.

The game gives you free plays once a day (iirc), but as you can imagine they won't be enough to get you all the badges you might want while the current rotation is out.

So it's geared towards the "whales"/highest engaged players, does make you wonder what proportion of players won't want to complete sets and get all of them though...

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is what they nicked HANS for? :( Don't get me wrong, it's cool, but if you make me choose between this and homebrew...

Robin64

Mostly in for the default 3DS app replacement icons, like these ones.

tumblr_nin39irE2p1qzp9weo2_500.jpg

georly

Mostly in for the default 3DS app replacement icons, like these ones.

tumblr_nin39irE2p1qzp9weo2_500.jpg

Can you 'replace' the existing original ones or do you just have to hide the originals somewhere? I couldn't figure out how to do it on my JP 3DS, so I hid them in a folder.

Robin64

Can you 'replace' the existing original ones or do you just have to hide the originals somewhere? I couldn't figure out how to do it on my JP 3DS, so I hid them in a folder.

Yeah, you have to hide the originals. Not entirely elegant, but it'll do.

Garou

Before anyone misses this: You don't have to pay a single cent for anything. There is a "Training-machine" which you can use once daily and for every 10 badges you collect there you can use the real machine once. Plus some training-badges come with 1 or 3 bonus-tries.

The good thing about paying is that sometimes they have exclusive 3DS-themes that you get as a present for free if you pay twice during the week.

JKTrix

there's a trick that you "shake" the stage and get some badges without spending your tries.
I did not know this. Will have to try when I get home...

Really do hope this comes to the North America region too, it really is one of my favourite things about my Japanese system.
Would this allow me to make system themed VC folders? As in are there NES, GB, GBA, ect badges?
Yes, several.
the get free badges by shaking was fixed though.
Well that's that, then.

JoeM86

Whoooooooooa, this is big news.

It's released on my birthday too.

Are Nintendo trying to tell me something? >___<

Welcome to the dark side my friend.

There were some weird sprite-based Fire Emblem Fates ones a couple of weeks back in the Japanese version.

The PR mentions Splatoon badges, but I didn't see a single one in the trailer.

There's lots of Splatoon badges released in Japan. They'll come. I think one of the PR screenshots shows one of the sets
Zh8GwJS.jpg

*-More info on why that is a problem here:
http://bitparade.co.uk/article.php?id=3682

I'm sure a normal priced version of Rusty could work where you just don't unlock the games until you do the equivalent of haggle him down.

That's sorta lame. Haggling to get the price down was a game itself, I suppose they could change it to game unlocks after paying the price, but I think that would take part of the fun away. The whole digital salesperson thing Nintendo does is just so cute and unique and definitely adds to the enjoyment of the experience.

Most of the minigames are pretty great too though. Sorta like WarioWare/Rhythm Heaven with a baseball motif.

Edit: For anyone with a JPN 3DS, am I able to change the folder icons on the home screen with this? I've always wanted to change the folders with my VC games to look like the console that they were originally on. (Like a little Gameboy instead of a folder.)

JoeM86

Edit: For anyone with a JPN 3DS, am I able to change the folder icons on the home screen with this? I've always wanted to change the folders with my VC games to look like the console that they were originally on. (Like a little Gameboy instead of a folder.)

Yep, there's an option where you can assign a badge to a folder. It doesn't replace the folder itself, but the badge is put on top of a folder instead of the letter/number

Totakeke

For your actual home screen? It'd just be app icons basically. Dunno how great that would be.

If nintendo has some sort of 'hub' app that links all of its nintendo account games, then it'd be cool for that. What's more likely is miitomo being the hub that you use to express yourself, so you'd decorate your miitomo's room and buy your miitomo costumes. Hopefully it's not gacha based, I'd die (and actually just probably not participate outside of free gachas).

But isn't that what this is for the 3DS? I'd like to decorate my mobile home screen with well made nintendo stickers and themes.

I guess this is what that preordering at bestbuy promo was a couple of months back. If you preordered 2 select Nintendo games you received 5 badges upon release. When the release was scheduled, was never stated.

Edit: nevermind. It was buttons.

georly

But isn't that what this is for the 3DS? I'd like to decorate my mobile home screen with well made nintendo stickers and themes.

Right, but the 3DS is a nintendo device with a Nintendo OS that can only access nintendo apps.

For phones, I doubt any phone OS would let you do this - or you'd see this stuff already for other IP/junk. Plus, you can already customize phones for free anyway, or even moreso if you root it.

Totakeke

Right, but the 3DS is a nintendo device with a Nintendo OS that can only access nintendo apps.

For phones, I doubt any phone OS would let you do this - or you'd see this stuff already for other IP/junk. Plus, you can already customize phones for free anyway, or even moreso if you root it.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with Android without rooting. You can customize your phone yourself yeah, but it's never going to be as polished.

I've been wanting this in the US since it was released, and we still haven't got a confirmation of anything. It's a great idea for customizations, and I hope it continues in with the NX platforms.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait a second

CTdhestWwAA7O5z.jpg
It's weird, but they confirmed it's a free download in EU as well. My guess is they moved it out of the way in order to show the badges.

How did I miss this, I constantly was checking the original thread on news about this getting localized. Hoping Thursday's Direct mentions this & maybe comes out the same day. Can't wait to get the custom icons for stuff like Mii Plaza & get the NES stuff to go with my Famicom theme.

JoeM86

does this have MonHun badges in Japan?

I don't believe it has had them. It has just been first party titles.

From memory:

Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario & Donkey Kong
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer
Splatoon
WarioWare Inc.
Fire Emblem Fates
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby's Adventure
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
Metroid
Yoshi's Woolly World
Pikmin 3
Rhythm Heaven
Tomodachi Life
Daigasso! Band Brothers P
BoxBoy
Pushmo
NES Remix
Pokémon
Nikki (Swapnote)

There have also been special ones based on some of the games like Christmas Super Mario Bros., random 8-bit collections of insects, instruments etc., sprite collections of Consoles, game cartridges etc. Each of them has multiple panels. There have been almost 30 Pokémon ones for example, about a dozen Splatoon and so forth and each panel has at least 4 badges in.

Let me know if I missed any

woopWOOP

Man, we've got some catching up to do. Also I'm wondering if we'll ever get the Nikki stuff or other niche characters/franchises.

But hey, I'll take it. Better late than never.

Top Bottom