• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 2016 roadmap - FreeSync over HDMI, support for DP1.3 & HDMI 2.0a, HDR rendering

inm8num2

AMD pushes FreeSync forward with support for HDMI, mobile, DisplayPort, HDR (PC World)

On Tuesday, the company's new Radeon Technologies Group announced it’ll have its variable refresh rate technology, dubbed FreeSync, working over HDMI ports next year.

A variable refresh spec for HDMI is coming, but AMD's pushing ahead through the option of an extension to HDMI. The extension can be used in both HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 monitors.

For GPU support, AMD said any GPU that supports FreeSync over DisplayPort will be able to run it over monitors that support FreeSync using HDMI.

AMD also announced its first foray into mobile FreeSync with Lenovo’s new Y700 gaming laptop. The 15.6-inch Lenovo Y700 will feature a Radeon R9 M380 GPU and a quad-core AMD FX-F8800P “Carrizo” APU for $899.

The new Radeon Technologies Group also announced it will support DisplayPort in its upcoming GPUs next year. DisplayPort 1.3 HBR3 will increase the bandwidth to 32.4GBps, which is about 80 percent more than even HDMI 2.0 and almost twice the bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.2.

FENiog9.png

AMD’s other aim-high announcement is its plan to enable high dynamic range gaming and movies eventually. Many games are actually already rendered in HDR today, the company said. But because GPUs aren’t made to output it and monitors don’t support it, it’s mapped to standard dynamic ranges.

2B8yoVV.png

High dynamic range itself is the ability visualize a brightness level far outside what is “normal.” For example, you wouldn’t typically be able to see an object lit by the sun and see into the deep shadows simultaneously. With HDR, you could.

The typical color chart below shows the colors used today. The black triangle is sRGB used in PCs and Blu-ray. The blue triangle is a spec called Rec. 2020 and is considered the “Holy Grail” of color space.

JgvZONj.png

The target is to enable HDR gaming and imaging using the current Radeon R9 300-series GPUs next year. Radeon GPUs introduced next year will enable HDR movie playback using HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3, AMD says.

The following articles, especially AnandTech, go into more depth and discussion on the above.

AMD GPUs In 2016: HDR, FreeSync Over HDMI And New Standards (Tom's Hardware)

AMD Discusses 2016 Radeon Visual Technologies Roadmap (AnandTech)

Mindman

Happy to be a Radeon owner. Loving my R9 380X, and I appreciate how AMD innovates with things like FreeSync over HDMI. I'd finally have a reason to replace my TV if one ever supported this feature

Arttemis

Based AMD!!! Developments like this are 100% why I choose AMD over Nvidia and their proprietary, cost bloated features.

Excitingly, the PS4 and Xbone are designed with HDMI 1.4! What are the chances of TVs releasing with this open standard, and PS4 releasing compatible software!?

I wonder if standard TVs would take advantage of it by then anyway... or if you would have to buy a monitor

TV makers seem pretty desperate for unique selling points. But then again, they seem only really interested in gimmicks that aren't useful to anybody.

TV makers seem pretty desperate for unique selling points. But then again, they seem only really interested in gimmicks that aren't useful to anybody.

From my experience they're interested in both. It's just not clear to the average consumer which is actually beneficial.

Shin-Ra

Can't wait for deep colour support for everything. OS, app's and games.

It is?! Hopefully in time for next-gen.
Hopefully in time for revised current-gen, if the current GPU-HDMI link isn't flexible enough. It's interesting what PSVR's doing with HFR and multi display output via the single HDMI port.

PGamer

fucking juniors
It's a bit depressing to see that DisplayPort 1.3 is already being maxed out by the time it launches. Feels a bit like what happened to SATA. I guess it'll be a while before I can get a 240 Hz 5K HDR monitor.

Akronis

Based AMD!!! Developments like this are 100% why I choose AMD over Nvidia and their proprietary, cost bloated features.

Excitingly, the PS4 and Xbone are designed with HDMI 1.4! What are the chances of TVs releasing with this open standard, and PS4 releasing compatible software!?

How about we actually have a thread praising AMD instead of turning it into this garbage? For once? Maybe? Please?

LordK

Say you had a TV that supported freesync over HDMI... would the receiver (if you're hooking up your pc to a receiver) also have to support freesync over HDMI?

SpotAnime

The target is to enable HDR gaming and imaging using the current Radeon R9 300-series GPUs next year.

So glad I got my R9 390 this year.

Radeon GPUs introduced next year will enable HDR movie playback using HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.3, AMD says.

Nice news for HDMI 2.0 users who have been asking for compatibility.

Between the new Crimson drivers (they patched the fan issue, no need to hold a grudge over it) and this news, it's a great time to be Team Red.

Arulan

DisplayPort 1.3 at last!

I can't say I'm interested in AMD, but I hope Pascal supports it, and we see some DP1.3 monitors at CES.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The color accuracy whore in me is going nuts with this info. Still on team green for the foreseeable future.

Does this mean that displayport can start handling lightboost?

tuxfool

Banned
The color accuracy whore in me is going nuts with this info. Still on team green for the foreseeable future.

Does this mean that displayport can start handling lightboost?

No. Lightboost can't light up specific areas of the screen. Lightboost is only used as a Strobe effect for the whole screen.

Arttemis

How about we actually have a thread praising AMD instead of turning it into this garbage? For once? Maybe? Please?

Well, excuse me for my "garbage" of calling Nvidia's features proprietary and costly. My post was praising AMD for their open initiatives. This is the route we need for industry wide innovation.

Bolivar687

Banned
But not in HDR. Can only do 60Hz in HDR which kinda sucks.

Very true... but I'd be willing to give it up for the frames. The 60fps cap has kept me off of 4k, since I know my set up will have the power to push a lot of the games I play past that.

Akronis

Well, excuse me for my "garbage" of calling Nvidia's features proprietary and costly. My post was praising AMD for their open initiatives. This is the route we need for industry wide innovation.

I agree with you 100% that we need open initiatives. More tact would've been preferred as everyone jumps in and starts throwing shit at both sides and the entire thread gets derailed. Just wanted to avoid that.

Bolivar687

Banned
I agree with you 100% that we need open initiatives. More tact would've been preferred as everyone jumps in and starts throwing shit at both sides and the entire thread gets derailed. Just wanted to avoid that.

I don't think it was lacking in tact at all. More importantly, we shouldn't refrain from calling Nvidia's closed policies what they are, just because someone might get offended. They are toxic and counter-productive, to the extent that they're willing to tank performance on their own hardware, so long as AMD's products tank worse. If the FUD brigade really wants to challenge that, we should engage and educate them, as that behavior only reinforces these internecine intitiatives.

Sorry, I know self moderation also derails the thread but I really think it needed to be said.

Meh not impressed all these announcements are just things Nvidia is doing already. This just seems like catch up.

Nvidia was working with Dolby on HDR earlier this year. http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2015/video/S5639.html

HDMI2.0 is already in the Maxwell cards and I am confident DP1.3 will be on Pascal.

They also got HDR running on Unreal Engine 4 with Epic Games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUGWUWRRNU

Well....

SHIT, DP-.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Meh not impressed all these announcements are just things Nvidia is doing already. This just seems like catch up.

Nvidia was working with Dolby on HDR earlier this year. http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2015/video/S5639.html

HDMI2.0 is already in the Maxwell cards and I am confident DP1.3 will be on Pascal.

They also got HDR running on Unreal Engine 4 with Epic Games https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDUGWUWRRNU

So the competition catching up is bad. Some of us don't want to deal with nvidia all the time or like too.

...how exactly is it catchup when BOTH of them are working on it?

And AMD didn't announce HDMI2.0 support, they're just reiterating that FreeSync over HDMI is in the current roadmap.

Bolivar687

Banned
What kind of GPU hardware are you rocking? Because that setup requires absurd power

I'm talking about games like Dota, Counter-Strike, and Path of Exile, where even modest contemporary rigs perform very well at 4k and I'm pretty sure from using VSR that I'd be well past 60fps, if maybe not the full 120k. Older titles as well.

Crossfire 290s, 4790k.

Exentryk

Need 4K TVs to support DP 1.3. Or HDMI 3.0 needs to hurry up and release so I can play games at 4K 60 fps HDR.
Sucks that TVs don't have Freesync/Gsync.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll wait till I see it AMD like to show slides, and or make promise and fail or fall short of delivering.

I hope this generations consoles get the update too and some TVs

Freesync wouldn't work with consoles especially with a lot of games running at 25-30fps. It doesn't perform great like Gsync does at low framerates. Anything below 40 is bad for Freesync. That's where Gsyncs proprietary hardware, algorithms, and memory buffer helps. There is no refresh rate to high or to low for it, the picture always looks great.

hesido

A variable refresh spec for HDMI is coming.

Awesome! This has been my wish for a long time, posted on several threads and different forums. Luckily the spec should materialize in time for a PS5, this is superb news.

Locuza

Freesync wouldn't work with consoles especially with a lot of games running at 25-30fps. It doesn't perform great like Gsync does at low framerates. Anything below 40 is bad for Freesync. That's where Gsyncs proprietary hardware, algorithms, and memory buffer helps. There is no refresh rate to high or to low for it, the picture always looks great.
The Hardware should be FreeSync capable, but the software-stack would need some adjustments.
But true, with the majority of games aiming for the 30 FPS Target, there's not a lot of potential to help here.

By the way, with the latest crimson driver AMD implemented Frame-Doubling/Tripling.
So you can go below the refreshrate.
The G-Sync Module doesn't offer anything beyond a potential software-solution.
The tuning for each individual Monitor is doing the magic, which of course could be also done with the Adaptive Sync Specification and AMD and Nvidia do, for FreeSync and GS-Sync on Laptops with eDP.

hesido

I'll wait till I see it AMD like to show slides, and or make promise and fail or fall short of delivering.

Future games designed with this spec in mind would greatly benefit.

Also the HDMI spec implementation may mitigate some of those problems if the implementation is relaxed in some way, for example a true native 120 or 240hz capable panel high end TV could always duplicate / triplicate frames at refresh rates below 60-90hz, at TV makers will.

By the way, with the latest crimson driver AMD implemented Frame-Doubling/Tripling.
I guess this is common sense :) Haven't read it while posting the HDMI spec comment.

nick nacc

Banned
I guess i don't understand.

I have a r9 290

Do I not have to get a freesync monitor anymore? Will a driver update make it so through hdmi I get a freesync experience?

I wonder what the transition to HDR will mean in terms of asset and performance requirements. HDR is certainly a welcome improvement, and I hate that so many games these days have horrible banding issues with things like skyboxes. Not sure how much of that is due to limited color depth though.

FreeSync over HDMI is nice for sure, but for it to really matter we'd need supporting TV's. For consoles the problem is you still have to design your game around vsync as long as dynamic refresh isn't a universal feature. And even then, the implementation would have to take into account that console games tend to run sub 30 FPS.

HDR is certainly a welcome improvement, and I hate that so many games these days have horrible banding issues with things like skyboxes. Not sure how much of that is due to limited color depth though.
Since CRT times, monitors distribute the bits with a ~2.4 base exponential function, with a roll-off close to black.

While this distribution was a good starting point, we need to do better if we want to include HDR.
2.4 Gamma wastes bits in the highlights and creates banding in darker areas.
With a perceptual coding as standardized in SMPTE ST:2084, 12 bits would be enough to eliminate all banding issues.

M3d10n

I wonder what the transition to HDR will mean in terms of asset and performance requirements. HDR is certainly a welcome improvement, and I hate that so many games these days have horrible banding issues with things like skyboxes. Not sure how much of that is due to limited color depth though.

FreeSync over HDMI is nice for sure, but for it to really matter we'd need supporting TV's. For consoles the problem is you still have to design your game around vsync as long as dynamic refresh isn't a universal feature. And even then, the implementation would have to take into account that console games tend to run sub 30 FPS.

Pretty much all graphically intensive games render in HDR internally, even last gen and Wii U games.

Dazza

Future games designed with this spec in mind would greatly benefit.

Also the HDMI spec implementation may mitigate some of those problems if the implementation is relaxed in some way, for example a true native 120 or 240hz capable panel high end TV could always duplicate / triplicate frames at refresh rates below 60-90hz, at TV makers will[/b

That's a great way they could work around the sub 30fps problem. Now we just need a TV manufacturer to step up.

Top Bottom