• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 2016 roadmap - FreeSync over HDMI, support for DP1.3 & HDMI 2.0a, HDR rendering

Man

Sony's TV lineup was doing good this year I read.

And HDMI variable framerate needs to be out before next-gen consoles. Especially with move to 4K.

Sony's TV lineup was doing good this year I read.

And HDMI variable framerate needs to be out before next-gen consoles. Especially with move to 4K.

For tvs this is more important than 4k imo. Solid frame rate adoption is awesome. 4k is pretty pointless, unless you are talking monitor/projector. If you are sitting further than 8ft away on a 60" tv makes 4k tvs moot compared to 1080p. But this is worth getting a newer tv if they can pull it off.

FoxSpirit

For tvs this is more important than 4k imo. Solid frame rate adoption is awesome. 4k is pretty pointless, unless you are talking monitor/projector. If you are sitting further than 8ft away on a 60" tv makes 4k tvs moot compared to 1080p. But this is worth getting a newer tv if they can pull it off.
Too lazy to do the math but are you sure?
itumeukr.png

Chart by the ITU.

pottuvoi

Banned
It will be interesting to see how people will take HDR when they notice it to need better antialiasing to look good..
Certainly a good feature to have, 8bits is not good.

Tarin02543

This is great news. Hopefully Freesync will mature into a industry wide adopted standard for tv's.

Also LG is planning to release OLED monitors in 2017.

What a time to be alive

Irobot82

I don't know if anyone noticed, but AMD explained why HDMI 2.0 was missing from their 300 series cards. Anandtech wrote in their article.

Unfortunately for RTG, they’re playing a bit of catch-up here, as the HDMI 2.0 standard is already more than 2 years old and has been supported by NVIDIA since the Maxwell 2 architecture in 2014. Though they didn’t go into detail, I was told that AMD/RTG’s plans for HDMI 2.0 support were impacted by the cancelation of the company’s 20nm planar GPUs, and as a result HDMI 2.0 support was pushed back to the company’s 2016 GPUs. The one bit of good news here for RTG is that HDMI 2.0 is still a bit of a mess – not all HDMI 2.0 TVs actually support 4Kp60 with full chroma sampling (4:4:4) – but that is quickly changing.

So it looks like AMD was planning to have some 20nm cards to run against Nvidia's latest but when 20nm failed, it borked up AMD's plans.

Top Bottom