• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, it seems GAF was partially responsible for Linkle west popularity

TunaLover

Coming from an IGN interview with Eiji Aonuma

Hyrule Warriors developer Koei Tecmo originally pitched Linkle as a member of Link’s family

Eiji Aonuma: "Koei Tecmo first proposed the Linkle character as Link's little sister for the Wii U version of Hyrule Warriors. However, we felt this conflicted with the concept of Aryll from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, the only character we had ever had appear as Link's sister, so we decided not to include that version. In Hyrule Warriors Legends, though, the proposal was to include Linkle not as Link's sister, but as a girl with heroic aspirations. This was a totally new and unique background for the franchise, and we thought she would add to the game's diversity, so we decided to include her in this game.”

Zelda fans played a big role in Nintendo reconsidering Linkle

Aonuma: "We had a great response from fans, especially outside of Japan, who saw Linkle in the Hyrule Warriors premium-box booklet and wanted her to be included in the game. Seeing that reaction, Hayashi-san and I talked it over and decided that we would definitely like to include her in the next title. I'm really glad we got the chance to do that with Hyrule Warriors Legends"

Also "include her in the next game"? is he talking about Legends, or Zelda 2016?
Original thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=873395

let's turn all the game protagonists into girls
giphy.gif

I won't be happy until every main character is also a cat hybrid. Ni No Kuni 2 is a start

AlucardGV

Banned
more like le leddit
but yeah, give her a some space, she looks cool. a whole game is kinda difficult, they're too much expensive to make. can be a dlc or a 3ds one

TunaLover

Where is he implying gaf?
And he's talking about Legends.
He's implying that booklet art was well received by fans outside Japan, I know that GAF wasn't the main source (?), I tried to find it and it point me to some random tumblr. Still, GAF was one of the first in show up this art and disscus about it, that's why I put "partially" in the title.

maxcriden

I interpreted that as Legends given the context of the statement.

He also said this:
We asked Aonuma what larger implications Linkle could have for the iconic adventure series. “I'm sure we will keep her in mind when thinking about future titles,” he told IGN in an email interview.

“I had a chance to give feedback on Linkle during development, but the satisfying action of using a crossbow, which we developed for the spinoff title Link's Crossbow Training, was implemented this time completely by Koei Tecmo,” Aonuma said.

“It may feel a little different from other titles in the franchise, but she doesn’t feel out of place at all in the world of the Zelda games.”

So, we haven't seen the last of Linkle, it seems.

Talk about hyperbole. Where is the reference to gaf? All I saw was western fans. Western as in millions of fans.

Reminds of people who take partial responsibility for the success of their team because the bought a jersey.

He's implying that booklet art was well received by fans outside Japan, I know that GAF wasn't the main source (?), I tried to find it and it point me to some random tumblr. Still, GAF was one of the first in show up this art and disscus about it, that's why I put "partially" in the title.
Stretching at its finest. Assuming what said is true wouldn't it be infinitely more accurate to say that tumblr was responsible for it?

Lunar15

Zelda Team pays attention to GAF?

Next zelda to be the most big/little/dark/light/colorful/grim/only dungeons/no dungeons/dark souls/xenoblade/cinematic/non-cinematic game ever created.

Deft Beck

This got me.

Linkle is ok, though I still think she borrows too heavily from all the other near identical "elf with bow" designs.

I think she's a cute riff on Link. Let's see what she does in her Hyrule Warriors appearance before drawing more conclusions

Also, if GAF is responsible for Linkle's debut, GAF is also responsible for the FF7 remake, by the same logic.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I think she's a cute riff on Link. Let's see what she does in her Hyrule Warriors appearance before drawing more conclusions

Also, if GAF is responsible for Linkle's debut, GAF is also responsible for the FF7 remake, by the same logic.

Of course we are. We're willing into existence every dream project we have. Haha

But yeah, GAF is not the only site for Western gaming.

Coreda

30+ posts and not a single one links the original interview.

Linking his quote to the GAF thread when no original url was present is a bit disingenuous, given the mild 10 page response it had. In some very small way, sure, but partially responsible is a stretch.

Eolz

He also said this:

So, we haven't seen the last of Linkle, it seems.

It sounds more like a regular answer to just stop talking about this topic. Pretty sure that he's probably thinking about spinoff titles while saying that.

Gaf is certainly not the only website.

Neogaf is ranked 2,102 as the most visited website in the world.

In comparison

Gamespot - 734
IGN - 331
Reddit - 31
Twitter - 9
YouTube - 3

While neogaf is a big website, there is more popular websites that is either directly related to games, or heavily influenced by them. And since developers and publishers have more contact with Twitter than any other place, my guess would be Twitter would get the most results in responses read by the majority of devs. Many devs are cautioned not to read up on forums.

Source: http://www.alexa.com/

I was having a conversation with a friend last year. My friend, you see, was of the belief that Linkle was bad.

And I said "No, she's good actually."

It's my belief that, due to my comment, I am the one responsible for bringing Linkle to life. Mods pls correct thread title accordingly.

Top Bottom