• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex App Now Free For Xbox One and Playstation

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just got this e-mail:

Xbox One and PlayStation users, have we got a great gift for you! Plex apps for your favorite game consoles—all of them—have graduated from their preview periods and are now free for everyone! Joining Xbox 360, as well as our other big screen apps, these newly free ones give users all the basic functionality at no cost. For those of you with a Plex Pass, our premium features, like Parental Controls, Vevo music videos, and Trailers & Extras, look awesome on the big screen.

Lock if old.

catspit

Amazing. About time! I was having issues with using plex through the browser all last week so maybe this is the reason why.

FUCK YES

I've been using plex because it's amazing but because I'm broke I haven't been able to upgrade yet and I've had to stream to my PC or 360 only.

androvsky

Works great now. Got a little 8mb update.

Which platform, Xbox? Because if the Playstation one has an actual patch it should mean a new codec from Sony, which should fix some annoying bugs that have been in place since launch.

Does Plex transcode every video file or only ones not supported by the PS4?
Only ones not supported, and it'll remux different container formats. The problem is "supported by PS4" is app dependent, and the Plex app is stuck with a single h.264 codec that has some issues.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I'm confused hasn't it always been free? Is plex pass free now?

the app has always been free but you needed a plex pass to use even the basic features. now the basic functions are all free but you still need a plex pass to access some of the mentioned premium features (which most people probably won't use).

Shenmue

Banned
the app has always been free but you needed a plex pass to use even the basic features. now the basic functions are all free but you still need a plex pass to access some of the mentioned premium features (which most people probably won't use).

Ahhhhhhhh. Thanks for the clarification. Downloading!

Audioboxer

Ended up buying a nvidia shield to run Kodi on rather than continue with my PS3/PS4 for media.

Good to hear these went free still.

Spenny

Awesome! Was totally bummed when I downloaded he app just to be told I needed to purchase PLEX Premuim to even use it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
boo doesn't work with my harmony remote like most apps :(

the ui is much nicer than plex web and media player. seems to have less issues playing most of my library too.

still one downside is that you can't keep the audio playing in the background when outside the app like the media player/spotify.

onQ123

boo doesn't work with my harmony remote like most apps :(

the ui is much nicer than plex web and media player. seems to have less issues playing most of my library too.

still one downside is that you can't keep the audio playing in the background when outside the app like the media player/spotify.

Since you will not be seeing anything when it's in the background you could just use the media player to stream from your Plex server.

torontoml

Haha, today was the first time I have tried using a media server and the videos I wanted to watch were not showing up through the windows media server.

After looking online for a couple minutes I found Plex, and that worked through the media player on the PS4. Had some stuttering issues so I looked on the PS Store found that app and downloaded it.

One hell of a coincidence that it ended up being available to free users today without me knowing anything about it prior to today.

onQ123

Haha, today was the first time I have tried using a media server and the videos I wanted to watch were not showing up through the windows media server.

After looking online for a couple minutes I found Plex, and that worked through the media player on the PS4. Had some stuttering issues so I looked on the PS Store found that app and downloaded it.

One hell of a coincidence that it ended up being available to free users today without me knowing anything about it prior to today.

Have you tried universal media server? http://www.universalmediaserver.com/

YES! The Web player on PS4 was a nightmare some times. Great news. Really love Plex

Last time I entered on a "plex for free on PS4, awesome!" thread still couldn't do shit without the pass, that's why I asked.
Yeah, I believe it costs money on Cell Phones to even get the App. I luckily got using Amazon Coins that I had left over. I went in to that one thinking it was the same thing as this one.

Head.spawn

Stupid simple to set up.

5TNDATu.gif

Top Bottom