• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex App Now Free For Xbox One and Playstation

dracula_x

I haven't found a way to get the app to work while my Mac is sleeping. I don't want to prevent my Mac from sleeping and I don't want to continually shake the mouse or something like that. Any ideas?

try this app – https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/caffeine/id411246225?mt=12 (alternative url – http://lightheadsw.com/caffeine/)

or something like this (in terminal):
caffeinate -t 3600 &

3600 <- time in seconds = 1 hour in this case

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/03/disable-sleep-mac-caffeinate-command/

Carn82

for some reason i find the samsung smart tv app better than the ps4 app

I tend to agree (I do use both). Samsung TVs have great support for all kinds of media containers and codecs, so a lot of files will 'direct play' on it (PS4 will need remuxing/transcoding more often). The Samsung Plex-app itself is also pretty good; it's not made by the Plex team but the guy who makes it has been working on it for quite a few years now.

leeh

The XBO being able to play MKV files natively with the Plex app is a godsend.

No transcodingggggg
Absolutely is. Me and my mate have a huge Plex setup, used to get around 60% CPU usage with 5 people mostly transcoding. With native MKV, server barely sweats with 6.

Carn82

Absolutely is. Me and my mate have a huge Plex setup, used to get around 60% CPU usage with 5 people mostly transcoding. With native MKV, server barely sweats with 6.

MKV usually isnt that big of an issue, that's just the container; if the mediaformat itself can be played it will just remux the stream, which doesnt take that much of a hit on CPUs (but yeah, I guess it might add up when you're serving multiple streams so 40 to 60% sounds like a reasonable load).

5 people pulling transcoded streams would probably max out your CPU; unless it's a powerful i7 or something.

leeh

MKV usually isnt that big of an issue, that's just the container; if the mediaformat itself can be played it will just remux the stream, which doesnt take that much of a hit on CPUs (but yeah, I guess it might add up when you're serving multiple streams so 40 to 60% sounds like a reasonable load).

5 people pulling transcoded streams would probably max out your CPU; unless it's a powerfull i7 or something.
Our box is a bit of a beast. Dual Xeon's with 32GB of ECC RAM, just for Plex.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Best way to stream media to my home theater. Just wish THE PS4 had a decent media remote (or was just compatible with the PS3 remote; no excuse here Sony)

Carn82

Strange that you would use any console for streaming with that kind of setup. It's like buying a Mustang GT V8 and putting regular gas in it.

If you have a powerful system that runs Plex Media Server installed you can enjoy your collection on any platform with a Plex client. PMS will transcode your media in the format it deems necessary to run on the client's platform in question. If you have a less powerful system, transcoding can become a challenge and you`ll run into buffering / stuttering issues when you watch your media. Investing in a powerful system is a valid option if you do not want to prepare/convert/optimise your collection for 'optimal streaming' (usually direct play), or want to be able to support multiple transcoding streams at once.

If you have a powerful system that runs Plex Media Server installed you can enjoy your collection on any platform with a Plex client. PMS will transcode your media in the format it deems necessary to run on the client's platform in question. If you have a less powerful system, transcoding can become a challenge and you`ll run into buffering / stuttering issues when you watch your media. Investing in a powerful system is a valid option if you do not want to prepare/convert/optimise your collection for 'optimal streaming' (usually direct play), or want to be able to support multiple transcoding streams at once.

I know what it does, but not having to transcode and play the format natively, especially HD audio formats like DTS-MA HD would be better. Plex can't even do that at this point and even if it could the Xbox One doesn't bitstream HD audio. You can do that with something more dedicated to the task for not that much money. My $70 Sony Blu-ray player plays back more formats than any console and has all the same apps you could need.

Nesses

I know what it does, but not having to transcode and play the format natively, especially HD audio formats like DTS-MA HD would be better. Plex can't even do that at this point and even if it could the Xbox One doesn't bitstream HD audio. You can do that with something more dedicated to the task for not that much money. My $70 Sony Blu-ray player plays back more formats than any console and has all the same apps you could need.

The problem lies that Microsoft hasn't opened up DTS for 3rd party apps, so anytime you play a file from plex with DTS it will transcode the audio.
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/203824396-What-media-formats-are-supported-

My plex server is dual 2.7GHZ Xeons 5520 with 48GB of RAM with 2x 400GB SSDs used for Plex media server and 14TB for storage.

Carn82

Of course it would be better if [insert your favorite device] can play every mediaformat known to man, nobody is debating that, but I fail to see the relevance of that argument.

Yes, if you want to acquire devices that play a broad range of formats and/or format your collection, you`ll need a less powerful server. If you dont want to think about that, you can invest into a powerful server to run PMS on and let things sort itself out.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Have you seen this one? I have it and it's pretty good and uses Bluetooth.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/10/08/universal-media-remote-for-ps4-releases-late-october/

was hoping that logitech would have been able to reverse engineer this by now and implement proper support for harmony.

then again. my friend has this remote and he says that some apps still don't work with it? sucks that there isn't any app requirements. seems like i never had problems on ps3/xbox 360 last gen with remotes working.

Xena

What program do you use for converting your itunes movies into something that would play via Plex? I wanted to share my movies in the living room so that my family didn't have to borrow my laptop and plug it in via hdmi to watch my videos.

I was reading this topic and thought this app would be great since they have an xbox one there and now could use Plex app on it. But then I read it won't work with my itunes library unless I convert it to something DRM-free...

I googled and first option that came was an aimersoft drm media converter that costs $35... is that good?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Sorry for the bump but on the Xbox one version I'm suddenly getting prompted to enter the 4 digit code every time I launch the app. Anyone else having this problem?

arhra

Sorry for the bump but on the Xbox one version I'm suddenly getting prompted to enter the 4 digit code every time I launch the app. Anyone else having this problem?

Working fine here. I did just reinstall the app the other day after forgetting to move it along with all my games when I upgraded to a bigger external drive (usually keep apps on the internal, but apparently forgot to move Plex), but the settings were all saved and I didn't have to re-pair to my server so that probably doesn't have anything to do with it.

Achamian

So I have a chromecast and regularly use it via plex on my phone (android) to cast films with subtitles as I find the ps3 and ps4 plex apps don't show the subs. Anyway, this evening I go to cast a movie and there's an option to cast to ps4 plex (I'm guessing my daughter had left her ps4 on). So it appears you can cast from android to ps4 in this way! Mind blown!

RedAssedApe

Banned
anyone able to get plex channels to work? specifically abc and nbc? i get some error "This channel is not supported on Mystery 4"

cw, fox, and cbs currently work great. best part is no ads which you get even with paid hulu.

Can anyone help me out with my issue on PS4 Plex?

I'm streaming 720p videos and it's CONSTANTLY buffering on a wired connection. I switched to my TV's PLEX app/media thing and I'm watching the same god damn episodes with no buffering nor issues.

The fuck is going on with the PS4 app that a wired connection is getting beaten by a wireless one?!

mitchman

Gold Member
Can anyone help me out with my issue on PS4 Plex?

I'm streaming 720p videos and it's CONSTANTLY buffering on a wired connection. I switched to my TV's PLEX app/media thing and I'm watching the same god damn episodes with no buffering nor issues.

The fuck is going on with the PS4 app that a wired connection is getting beaten by a wireless one?!

It likely means the PS4 does not support the codec needed for the video and that the server is transcoding it. The server is likely not able to keep up with the streaming, hence the pauses. What box do you run the server on? TVs generally support more codecs so transcoding is not as common.

It likely means the PS4 does not support the codec needed for the video and that the server is transcoding it. The server is likely not able to keep up with the streaming, hence the pauses. What box do you run the server on? TVs generally support more codecs so transcoding is not as common.

ah, thanks for the heads up. Yeah I just decided to watch it in my TV, has been running without issues.

I usually just hooked up my Macbook Pro to my TV via HDMI, but my HDMI cable failed yesterday and I was looking for an alternative and found Plex.

Setup for Plex was a piece of cake.
I have an external HDD on my Macbook, the Macbook functions as the server and streams to my Ps4.

But I'm hyving issues with high bit rates.
Everything works fines up until 720p and 4mbps, but when I go up to 8mbps I sometimes get stuttering. When I go up to 10 or above 10mbps I get frequent stutters.
I don't think its my connection, my Macbook is a few feet away from my router and my Ps4 is conected via lan cable.
I played aroung with the settings a bit and I think I got about half a minute of smooth streaming at 11.3mbps(mkv file) at one point, but then it went back to constant stuttering.

Is there something I can do? Or do I have to watch everything at 4mbps?

onQ123

I usually just hooked up my Macbook Pro to my TV via HDMI, but my HDMI cable failed yesterday and I was looking for an alternative and found Plex.

I have an external HDD on my Macbook, the Macbook functions as the server and streams to my Ps4.

Everything works fines up until 720p and 4mbps, but when I go up to 8mbps I sometimes get stuttering. When I go up to 10 or above 10mbps I get frequent stutters.
I don't think its my connection, my Macbook is a few feet away from my router and my Ps4 is conected via lan cable.
I played aroung with the settings a bit and I think I got about half a minute of smooth streaming at 11.3mbps(mkv file) at one point, but then it went back to constant stuttering.

Do you have it set to direct play & Original quality? I don't have any problems playing movies from my laptop to the PS4 or Smart TVs anywhere in my house.

Do you have it set to direct play & Original quality? I don't have any problems playing movies from my laptop to the PS4 or Smart TVs anywhere in my house.

Well, I had it at original quality, but that gives me stuttering when the bitrate of the file it too high(8+mbps), so I changed it to 4mbps by default.
I have direct play enable, yes.

onQ123

Well, I had it at original quality, but that gives me stuttering when the bitrate of the file it too high(8+mbps), so I changed it to 4mbps by default.
I have direct play enable, yes.

what are your settings on the server side? I'm not having many problems maybe I can look through my settings & see if it's something I changed

but if things still don't work out you can try Universal media server

Things I remember changing is

Network 'Enable IPv6 support'

Transcoder quality 'Make my PC hurt'

Background transcoding x264 preset 'Ultra Fast'

Lkr

what router and macbook models? those could be bottlenecking it

what are your settings on the server side? I'm not having many problems maybe I can look through my settings & see if it's something I changed

but if things still don't work out you can try Universal media server

Which settings exactly are you looking for?

I have the transcoder quality at "Make my CPU hurt", the background transcoding x264 preset at "Ultra fast".
I enabled "Prioritize streaming transcodes".

what router and macbook models? those could be bottlenecking it

I have an early 2011 Macbook. 2.3Ghz i5, 4Gb of Ram, Intel HD 3000. Is the work different from just playing these files normally on the Macbook? Because its doing that just fine.
My router is a Netgear Rangemax WNR834Bv2
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WNR834BV2/WNR834B_DS_31May07.pdf

onQ123

I have the transcoder quality at "Make my CPU hurt", the background transcoding x264 preset at "Ultra fast".

I have an early 2011 Macbook. 2.3Ghz i5, 4Gb of Ram, Intel HD 3000. Is the work different from just playing these files normally on the Macbook? Because its doing that just fine.

Did you enable ipv6? not sure if that will help but that's what I have as a setting

I'm able to stream from my laptop in one room to my PS4 in the same room & a 4K smart TV way down the hall in another room with no problem.

maybe it's the router location.

androvsky

The Plex app on PS4 can't handle very many formats natively, fewer even than the Media Player on the same system. If the server has to transcode it's more than twice the work, as the server has to decode the video, then encode it again for the PS4 (and the encoding generally uses more CPU power than the decoding). Try turning down the transcoder quality a lot, start at the worst quality and if that improves the buffering, work your way back up. That seems like an adequate CPU, but the quality setting might be too much. As another debugging step, try connecting the Macbook to the router via a LAN cable.

onQ123

The Plex app on PS4 can't handle very many formats natively, fewer even than the Media Player on the same system. If the server has to transcode it's more than twice the work, as the server has to decode the video, then encode it again for the PS4 (and the encoding generally uses more CPU power than the decoding). Try turning down the transcoder quality a lot, start at the worst quality and if that improves the buffering, work your way back up. That seems like an adequate CPU, but the quality setting might be too much. As another debugging step, try connecting the Macbook to the router via a LAN cable.

Ultra fast is the low quality transcoder setting

I enabled ipv6, i set transcoder quality to "prefer higher speed encoding", background transcoding still at "Very fast". In the Ps4 I selected Maximum h.264 Level 3.0(lowest setting), even though I don't know what that means :D It goes up to 5.1, 4.0 is recommended, there is also "none" as an option.

It definitely improved things, but I still don't get a consistantly smooth playback at 8-10mbps.
At 10.3(original for the particular file I'm testing this with) I get like half a second of lag every 2 seconds.
If I go down to 10mbps I get half a second of lag every 15-30 seconds. Then it runs smooth for a few minutes, just to start the regular lags again.
At 8mbps the lags very rare but still there.

Will try to see if hooking the macbook up with a lan cable helps tomorrow, but thats not a real long term option for me.

onQ123

I enabled ipv6, i set transcoder quality to "prefer higher speed encoding", background transcoding still at "Very fast". In the Ps4 I selected Maximum h.264 Level 3.0(lowest setting), even though I don't know what that means :D It goes up to 5.1, 4.0 is recommended, there is also "none" as an option.

It definitely improved things, but I still don't get a consistantly smooth playback at 8-10mbps.
At 10.3(original for the particular file I'm testing this with) I get like half a second of lag every 2 seconds.
If I go down to 10mbps I get half a second of lag every 15-30 seconds. Then it runs smooth for a few minutes, just to start the regular lags again.
At 8mbps the lags very rare but still there.

Will try to see if hooking the macbook up with a lan cable helps tomorrow, but thats not a real long term option for me.

Try UMS from the link I posted & when you choose the video on your PS4 try the transcode folder & pick {tsMuxer} if that don't work it might be your router or something.

Try UMS from the link I posted & when you choose the video on your PS4 try the transcode folder & pick {tsMuxer} if that don't work it might be your router or something.

Holy shit, I just started it, didn't play with any settings and it works fine, even for a file with 15mbps.
But I don't have any options, I can't even fast forward :D

onQ123

Holy shit, I just started it, didn't play with any settings and it works fine, even for a file with 15mbps.
But I don't have any options, I can't even fast forward :D

Yeah when you use tsMuxer I don't think you can fast forward but you can check with other encoders or see if the none encoded video work.

glad it fixed your problem.

My mind is still blown by how well it work on the 4K Smart TV way in another room from my laptop.

Yeah when you use tsMuxer I don't think you can fast forward but you can check with other encoders or see if the none encoded video work.

glad it fixed your problem.

My mind is still blown by how well it work on the 4K Smart TV way in another room from my laptop.

So its a problem with Plex and there is nothing I can do? I would really like to use Plex since its very nice looking and easy to use.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to have two plex servers and sync played episodes etc? My usual plex server is on my gaming PC but sometimes I'd like to shut it down and use a laptop instead so I don't get framerate issues when transcoding

Alternatively I wonder what's the lowest end/cheapest computer I could buy/build just to run a 24/7 server

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Another question. Backing up my plex server folder as I'm reinstalling windows. Why is it 5GB and nearly 90k files!?

JaggedSac

Another question. Backing up my plex server folder as I'm reinstalling windows. Why is it 5GB and nearly 90k files!?

Must be the db. Posters and such. Did you have image indexing turned on? Where it shows thumbnails when you fast forward?

Top Bottom