• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plex App Now Free For Xbox One and Playstation

Tenck

I just bought Plex yesterday and have VPS server setup today. This is great news considering my sister has an Xbox One and she can use Plex now.

anothertech

Love plex. Hands down best way to view the digital library.

Will say though, Xbone version is much more refined at the moment.

Nesses

Wish both would direct play the audio instead of transcoding. Neither support dts through plex. ACC works fine.

Glad it's free though

pezley

Banned
60hz/24hz will not be fixed on Xbox One according to the plex forums. The only app on Xbox capable is the internal blu ray player. This is the worst part of the Xbox One version. Besides that it's absolutely brilliant. Better than the janky PS4 version.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
WTH is Plex about?

Media player. You run a server on a computer in your house which scans your video/music folders and adds metadata like movie posters and theme music, and presents it in a nice way. One of my favourite bits is 'on deck' which surfaces the next tv show in a series you've been watching.

I'm guessing it will not stream mkv via wi-fi very well correct? even if the router is in the same room as the console?

Should be fine. All depends on the bitrate of your video games the capacity of your wifi. My Xbox and server are wired, but it streams wirelessly to my iPad just fine.

derFeef

So you can now use custom channels (like giantbomb) and whatnot for free?
That was behind a paywall a year ago or so.

TriAceJP

Is this basically what PS3 media server is/was?

Plex is a pretty neat service that lets you stream remotely as well, and usually has a nice interface.

There are iOS/Android/Console/SmartTv/Etc apps that let you log into an account remotely and stream.

So yeah, it's kind of like PS3 Media Server but with a UI and remote connectivity.

Carn82

You need a computer to use Plex, right? I couldn't just use my phone as a server to my console?

You need a system that runs the Plex Media Server; that can be a desktop computer, laptop; or a NAS. If you run it on a NAS you might run into transcoding issues, NASses usually have low-power CPU's and might have a hard time transcoding media into the necessary video formats.

Tainted

I havent had too many issues lately with my UMS / PS4 media player combo.
Installed and checked it out, seems ok...but it picks up alot of my media incorrectly, durations wrong etc

I tried a few things in that interface to fix them, but no go.

Daante

I dont understand.

I download the plex app and start it, and then a screen comes upp with a code, and they want me to go to plex.tv/link in a Web browser (?).

I need to register an account at plex to use this app?

Spasm

I dont understand.

I download the plex app and start it, and then a screen comes upp with a code, and they want me to go to plex.tv/link in a Web browser (?).

I need to register an account at plex to use this app?
Yes. That's how you link your client app to your server.

Cronen

original

inner-G

Banned
Plex is a pretty neat service that lets you stream remotely as well, and usually has a nice interface.

There are iOS/Android/Console/SmartTv/Etc apps that let you log into an account remotely and stream.

So yeah, it's kind of like PS3 Media Server but with a UI and remote connectivity.
That sounds pretty rad

I currently use the share settings in Windows Media Player and it just shares out everything in my library, whether WMP is open or not. (My PC just has to be on.) I then access that with the Media Player app on Xbox One. The Plex interface seems nicer, but I'm guessing I would need to have the Plex server software running all the time to achieve the same result.

Chao

As I expected, the only thing I wanted out of this app doesn't work.

Trying to play a video from my iPhone 5s to PS4 through plex. Video stays freezed at the first frame and never starts playing.

Even paid the 4,99 unlock thing, not happy with Plex once again.

Tainted

As I expected, the only thing I wanted out of this app doesn't work.

Trying to play a video from my iPhone 5s to PS4 through plex. Video stays freezed at the first frame and never starts playing.

Even paid the 4,99 unlock thing, not happy with Plex once again.

Possibly this is more of an issue with the raw processing power of the iPhone rather than a Plex issue? Not enough grunt in the media server to decode the video/sound

Are you trying to do this with a SD or HD video ? And how many audio channels ?

FHIZ

So I was pretty happy about this, until I started trying to use it and remembered Plex's compression. Is there anyway to get around compression artifacts in the video? Most of the time it's fine but when there's heavy motion going on it just looks like a real low quality video export, it just bothers me. All my settings are set to original on server and app end, but it doesn't seem to fix anything. Weirdly enough, if I open my plex server through the VLC iOS app I don't get any of the super noticeable compression.

a.wd

This is really good, being able to segment and view the library in different ways is a game changer!

Also resume play sogood.gif

So I was pretty happy about this, until I started trying to use it and remembered Plex's compression. Is there anyway to get around compression artifacts in the video? Most of the time it's fine but when there's heavy motion going on it just looks like a real low quality video export, it just bothers me. All my settings are set to original on server and app end, but it doesn't seem to fix anything. Weirdly enough, if I open my plex server through the VLC iOS app I don't get any of the super noticeable compression.
I think it's relative to the file you're viewing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Either I'm missing something or the layout and navigation are horrible. I had Rarflix on my Now TV box and it looked far better after I tweaked it. It just takes too many clicks to get anywhere.

androvsky

Depends on the file, and the platform. Some platforms, Playstation probably being the one of the worst ones, can't handle many formats, so the server converts the file in real time so the quality isn't very good. And if you're turning on soft subtitles the server pretty much has to convert, especially if they're bitmap subs from a blu-ray or DVD rip. It's very frustrating.

For direct play without conversion, the Playstation client needs an h.264 stream that's level 4.0 or lower with no soft subtitles, though if the bitrate isn't too high sometimes it'll play a 4.1 stream if you check the right boxes in the client settings. I don't know what the Xbox's requirements are, except I'm pretty sure it's not as strict.

FHIZ

Depends on the file, and the platform. Some platforms, Playstation probably being the one of the worst ones, can't handle many formats, so the server converts the file in real time so the quality isn't very good. And if you're turning on soft subtitles the server pretty much has to convert, especially if they're bitmap subs from a blu-ray or DVD rip. It's very frustrating.

For direct play without conversion, the Playstation client needs an h.264 stream that's level 4.0 or lower with no soft subtitles, though if the bitrate isn't too high sometimes it'll play a 4.1 stream if you check the right boxes in the client settings. I don't know what the Xbox's requirements are, except I'm pretty sure it's not as strict.

Ah, okay. That would make sense as I'm mostly attempting to use MKV files a lot that have subs. I guess I could get over it, but I work in video, so I'm just sort of hardwired to hate artifacts.

Ambitious

Why does it still require me to create a Plex account? My PS4 is in the same network as my server, I don't need a bloody account.

SummitAve

Banned
Why does it still require me to create a Plex account? My PS4 is in the same network as my server, I don't need a bloody account.

Huh? As somebody who hates confirming new accounts via email and always on team guest checkout, this seems like one of the more reasonable and quick account set ups. You realize you're still using third party software even though it's on the same network, right? Why would you expect there to be no account system?

It's been working great for me thus far!

Ambitious

Huh? As somebody who hates confirming new accounts via email and always on team guest checkout, this seems like one of the more reasonable and quick account set ups. You realize you're still using third party software even though it's on the same network, right? Why would you expect there to be no account system?

It's been working great for me thus far!

I don't expect there to be no account system. I just don't see why the app flat out doesn't work without one. If you want to watch your stuff remotely, share your library with friends or just sync your watch state, it's great that you can do so. But I don't need any of these features. The Mac app and the iOS apps work just fine without having to log in, and I think the Samsung Smart TV app does too.

onQ123

Watching Fox shows on demand with the Plex app work as smooth as watching DTV/Cable/Satellite but other channels don't seem to work over Plex.

I haven't found a way to get the app to work while my Mac is sleeping. I don't want to prevent my Mac from sleeping and I don't want to continually shake the mouse or something like that. Any ideas?

FHIZ

I haven't found a way to get the app to work while my Mac is sleeping. I don't want to prevent my Mac from sleeping and I don't want to continually shake the mouse or something like that. Any ideas?

It's going to need your harddrive awake to read the content. The best you can probably do is set your screen to turn off, but not the drive.

Top Bottom