• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR launching in fall (Gamestop CEO seemingly lets slip)

Man

Seems like Sony want to take advantage of an autumn-push and E3 hype to get PSVR quickly into homes. Would give developers a few more months and could go hand-in-hand with expected price-drop (and possible console re-design?).

Gamestop CEO said:
“We will bring the Sony [PSVR] product this fall”

http://vrfocus.com/archives/29644/gamestop-ceo-on-psvr-we-will-bring-the-sony-product-this-fall/

Update:
A Sony representative responded to a GamesIndustry.biz request for comment, saying, "GameStop was purely speculating. We have not announced our launch plans."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-02-16-playstation-vr-launching-this-fall-gamestop-ceo
Seems like your default 'got to say something' PR.

CbVbea7UAAArEXW.jpg

If true this would make perfect timing.

If PSVR is priced appropriately with some good software, this could be the hot holiday ticket item.

Makes sense to me. Get it in there along with all of the high-profile exclusives coming later in the year. If No Man's Sky doesn't get delayed, then it might not get PSVR support after all. VR support isn't really something you can easily patch into a console game.

muggen76

Seems like a good time to release. Show off at E3 with a price that makes the crowd go crazy, start selling shortly after!

Don't: stage an embarrassing E3 demo.

Do: 299.

I think they learned their lesson...

299$ (just the helmet) at E3 would be glorious, hope it happens, don't really believe in it though, but weirdly with that delay incoming it makes it more probable to me ;)

I'm not sold on PSVR so I'm not excited for a large chunk if not most of their E3 conference being devoted to it, but I'm open to being sold on it. Hopefully Sony will have some compelling new games to announce for it at the show.

I guess Colony Wars wasn't ready for launch, so they had to delay all of it.

DKHF

I'm not sold on PSVR so I'm not excited for a large chunk if not most of their E3 conference being devoted to it, but I'm open to being sold on it. Hopefully Sony will have some compelling new games to announce for it at the show.

Makes sense to me. Get it in there along with all of the high-profile exclusives coming later in the year. If No Man's Sky doesn't get delayed, then it might not get PSVR support after all. VR support isn't really something you can easily patch into a console game.

They should

A: Delay No Man's Sky and make it a launch PSVR title
or
B: They should offer an upgrade to the PSVR version for like 10 bucks.

This would sort of make sense. If it was launching this spring, I would have anticipated some sort of marketing push by now. Although I'm anxious to get my hands on one, so this wait is going to be killer.

Mediking

Dead or Alive VR at launch for $350 would be get me to buy it on day one.

And I guess this means their E3 will have a chunk of VR coverage.

Hoje0308

Banned
Completely unsurprised. It's now February and we've heard nothing about this launch that's supposed to take place in the first half of the year. Releasing in fall alongside a $300 PS4 would put it in a better position anyway.

Man

Hmm that's honestly disappointing. If the NX comes out this fall ill be getting it over the PSVR. I was planning on getting PSVR this summer and being able to save up for the NX. Oh well.
Save up for both? I can promise you that there is nothing even remotely as next-gen as Virtual Reality launching in the gaming scene this year. It's the biggest jump forward since online gaming and 3D polygonal graphics.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Fall in USA means September to December right?

LOL, it faces a bigger delay than HTC Vive/Oculus Rift if true.

Sulik2

Seems a bit late, makes sense if the headset is done and they are waiting on the games though. There is now way this thing is less then $399. That still puts them $200 below the cheapest competition, but the tech in these headsets is just expensive.

Save up for both? I can promise you that there is nothing even remotely as next-gen as Virtual Reality launching in the gaming scene this year. It's the biggest jump forward since online gaming and 3D.

Does not have to be 'next generation' to be the biggest jump forward. Look how quickly the return of 3D has died.

Personally I think VR is a niche product that will not be affordable and will be under developed for the first 2-3 years.

mindsale

Count me as vaguely interested.

I haven't been following VR super closely, but don't you need an absolute ton of horsepower for it? Is a 3 year-old console capable?

I wonder if this will improve PS4 sales or if the sales for PSVR will be primarily from existing owners.

Edit: Also they need to hurry up and get units in stores to build up hype like Oculus has done for years.

Neoxon

Not surprising, but this could potentially be bad news for the NX Platform. Or maybe not, but I hope that they won't come out too close to one another.

weekev

Banned
Shocking news? I would have thought September/October release was a lock. Did anyone think otherwise? I mean that's just when you release hardware these days, then you can pull together kick ass the Black Friday bundles.

Tigress

Hmm that's honestly disappointing. If the NX comes out this fall ill be getting it over the PSVR. I was planning on getting PSVR this summer and being able to save up for the NX. Oh well.

Why not put aside the money you would have spent for psvr soon as you have it and then save up for nx and get both. If you could afford to get the psvr earlier and them the nx later, you can afford both.

Danneee

In one year I've gone from hyped-as-hell-buying-day-one to eh, might buy it when it's cheap. VR has taken way too long to actually arrive.

Sony would have every reason in the world to launch second half instead of first half.

More games, potentially better price (or at least less loss on the bill of materials) and of course no pressure from Microsoft. Let Oculus and Vive do all the trial & error. The big publishers are not there anyway (except Ubisoft in a extent) so there's no rush at all.

geordiemp

Not surprising, but this could potentially be bad news for the NX Platform. Or maybe not, but I hope that they won't come out too close to one another.

It will make no difference to either regardless.

PSVR will sell to the existing 40 million + Ps4 owners by then who are interested. Adoption will depend heavily on Sony having demo stations for general public to try while shopping.

Sony need Game's / gamestops to help them. I doubt they consider Nintendo or the mobile markets a threat to the type of customer they are going for.

Nintendo NX will sell to the existing Nintendo users of either 3DS with heavy Japan focus or the western WiiU crowd depending on what it is, or both if its the 'shared approach' possibly.

I cannot see the Nx taking Sony or MS type consumers at all, the types of games are very different..To kids who play Destiny or GTA 5, they have no interest in WiiU type games and consider 2D platforming a free PSN game (I joke, but there is a big difference in tastes), and those who like WiiU type games mock the Western type shooters. It really is chalk and cheese.

I cannot see the 2 consumer groups overlapping much, at all except maybe Japan, where who knows.

DieH@rd

Banned
Since there was no release date announcement by now, I presumed there would be some delays.

If they are not launching it in April-May, they need to wait for Sept-Oct. :-/ Kinda long wait, but hopefully it will pay off.

Top Bottom