• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM Nashville meetings cancelled by public library for being "No whites allowed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharp

Nashville Public Library officials have told Nashville’s chapter of Black Lives Matter that meetings that welcome only people of color can’t take place inside the city’s libraries.

“The library didn’t cancel anyone’s meeting,” said library spokeswoman Emily Waltenbaugh, referring to a Black Lives Matter meeting for Saturday morning that the organization has now rescheduled for a church instead.

“We’re a library,” she said. “We’re taxpayer funded. We have to be open to anyone anytime.”

According to Joshua Crutchfield, an organizer of the Nashville chapter of Black Lives Matter, the group has a rule: Only black people as well as non-black people of color are allowed to attend the gatherings. That means white people are excluded from attending.

“Due to white supremacy in our local government, this week’s BLM General Body Meeting location has changed,” a notice posted Friday on the Nashville chapter of Black Lives Matter’s Facebook page reads. The notice says the group’s meetings are “open to black and non-black people of color only."

http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...y-rule-runs-afoul-nashville-library/80606970/

Shocking that the law restricting publicly funded organizations from excluding based on race don't allow an organization to use the facilities and exclude based on race.

Blm can and should do anything they want in terms of who is welcome at their meetings. Can't exclude based on race in public facilities.

inky

BLM Nashville meetings cancelled by public library

“The library didn’t cancel anyone’s meeting,” said library spokeswoman Emily Waltenbaugh

Uhh...

We’re a library,” she said. “We’re taxpayer funded. We have to be open to anyone anytime.”

“Due to white supremacy in our local government, this week’s BLM General Body Meeting location has changed,”

Uhh...

Mr. X

Smh why is that chapter saying no whites allowed?

Why is a church allowing them to hold a no whites meeting?

ThisGuy

I wonder why they don't want white support at the meetings? Don't want that perspective to have an influence is my immediate guess.

kmfdmpig

That Facebook entry is some delusion nonsense. Having a problem with excluding whites = white supremacy? The library is in the right and that chapter of BLM seems like it's run by nuts.

You'd kinda think you'd want white people in on what's happening to help build a strong foundation of people of all colors and walks of life to fight racism and injustice.

But... Nah.

SMH

I agree with the library, tbh.

Kyou

This seems like an extremely poor decision by this local chapter that could potentially have far reaching consequences

Im with the library on this one. Also, we shouldn't exclude white people who are down with the movement as well.
This is such a common sense stance that I am not sure how things reach the point where BLM organizers conclude it's a good idea to exclude any group seeking to aid them.

You'd kinda think you'd want white people in on what's happening to help build a strong foundation of people of all colors and walks of life to fight racism and injustice.

But... Nah.

SMH
Have you been to black activist meetings? White people that show up are generally the same kinds you see on the Internet: either they don't actually care and just want to troll/rebel somehow, or they care but get super divisive and defensive over their ideas, because no one's ever told them "no" in their life. It's all the exact same distractions and arguments and bullshit you'll see happen here on GAF when Black Lives Matter is discussed.

I can see where this group is coming from, but the optics here are terrible.

They really went and said, " white supremacy"
You guys are going to have to get comfortable with this phrase at some point. It is not an inaccurate statement concerning our media and government in America. We've all known it our whole lives, with us being primarily represented by racist old white dudes making decisions that benefit only racist old white dudes, but as soon as someone accurately throws out "white supremacy" in those words, people have some sort of defensive reaction to it. Donald Trump as the popular leader of the modern Republican party should be saying something to you.

(It was definitely misused in a hilarious way this time, though.)

Jharp

Ugh, I fucked up the thread title. I totally noticed that when re-reading the article too but forgot to change it.

Sushi Nao

The library is following the law.

It does not bother me that they don't want whites at their meetings.

This is not reverse racism.

inky

They're saying they're not the ones who cancelled it. BLM could have opened up the meeting to everyone and still use the facilities.

I know what they are saying. I'm pointing out the obvious contradiction between the title and the second sentence in the quote.

Infinite

Smh why is that chapter saying no whites allowed?

Why is a church allowing them to hold a no whites meeting?
I like that you said "that chapter" to distinguish them from the black lives matter movement and other specific black lives matter organizations. Unfortunately that's something this thread and article it's based on didn't do.

Volimar

The library is following the law.

It does not bother me that they don't want whites at their meetings.

This is not reverse racism.

No, just the regular kind.

I like that you said "that chapter" to distinguish them from the black lives matter movement and other specific black lives matter organizations. Unfortunately that's something this thread and article it's based on didn't do.

#notallchapters?

BLM seems to be running into the same problem that the Occupy movement and any decentralized movement in the modern age seems to run into: Poor local leadership that doesn't quite understand the best ways to spread the message.

stufte

Have you been to black activist meetings? White people that show up are generally the same kinds you see on the Internet: either they don't actually care and just want to troll/rebel somehow, or they care but get super divisive and defensive over their ideas, because no one's ever told them "no" in their life. It's all the exact same distractions and arguments and bullshit you'll see happen here on GAF when Black Lives Matter is discussed.

I don't believe you.

Sky Saw

Banned
Holy shit.

You guys are going to have to get comfortable with this phrase at some point. It is not an inaccurate statement concerning our media and government in America. We've all known it our whole lives, with us being primarily represented by racist old white dudes making decisions that benefit only racist old white dudes, but as soon as someone accurately throws out "white supremacy" in those words, people have some sort of defensive reaction to it. Donald Trump as the popular leader of the modern Republican party should be saying something to you.
Enforcement of civil rights laws regarding public accommodation is not white supremacy.

And way to stereotype all white people interested in civil rights. Jesus dude.

royalan

BLM is a movement by black people for black people. Anybody thinking that inclusion is a goal hasn't been paying attention.

That being said, it's silly to hold so tightly to the "no white people" rule, and it's also silly to try to hold these meetings in public spaces if that's what they're going to do.

The sheer number of people in this thread balking at the idea of safe spaces for people of color is worrying.

yeah, exactly. white people are generally unable to hold productive conversations on race.

Imm0rt4l

I'm siding with the library here. But I totally understand why the chapter may feel the need to not be inclusive. These things attract people with no real interest other than starting shit. Like the 4chan people that decided to shoot at BLM activists in Minneapolis.

They really went and said, " white supremacy"
White supremacy isn't as simple as wearing hoods.

You guys are going to have to get comfortable with this phrase at some point. It is not an inaccurate statement concerning our media and government in America. We've all known it our whole lives, with us being primarily represented by racist old white dudes making decisions that benefit only racist old white dudes, but as soon as someone accurately throws out "white supremacy" in those words, people have some sort of defensive reaction to it.

You guys? Though I suppose the way I wrote it did not convey what I meant. I mean they are excluding white people, and instead of opening it up they choose to say it was because of white supremacy. In my opinion, I believe that excluding white people will not help them make the changes they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom