• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLM Nashville meetings cancelled by public library for being "No whites allowed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeySeuss

Is there like a national chapter that issues guidelines on how individual chapters are ran?

I ask because there is a lot of misinformation about the BLM movement that paints with a wide brush that the whole thing is just a reason to be racist and anti-cop and anti-white.

How does the movement work against the public perception of that? Some of the people that think BLM calls for killing of cops when it's just someone that isn't even affiliated with the group to begin with.

Let's not start with safe spaces, that'll stir up a whole new set of trolls.

The library is 100% in the right, you can't take it over and say "no white people."

However

The people who generally shout the loudest in these instances are also those who think BLM is a joke.

You guys? Though I suppose the way I wrote it did not convey what I meant. I mean they are excluding white people, and instead of opening it up they choose to say it was because of white supremacy. In my opinion, I believe that excluding white people will not help them make the changes they want.
Here's my take on the "including white people" thing: we've been included in civil rights this whole time, and what have we shown for it?

Jonm1010

Banned
The sheer number of people in this thread balking at the idea of safe spaces for people of color is worrying.

yeah, exactly. white people are generally unable to hold productive conversations on race.
People are balking at the particular situation, don't conflate. And probably not wise to broadrush an entire race of people.

Why would I want to go somewhere I'm not wanted just for the color of my skin?
I mean, if you think BLM is this concerned with identity politics to a judgmental level, then okay. I'm pretty sure they just want white people to do anything while they keep their focus centered on black and queer leadership, as it says on their website. Pro-black =/= anti-white. You'll find plenty of awesome white people in every BLM group.

Infinite

The BLM movement needs more structure. Local chapters like this are ultimately ruining its cause because stupid fucking idiots in the general public can't distinguish the difference.
I disagree. I think a good thing about BLM is that it isn't structured like a unified organization. When things like this happen people who think critically will either say "I don't agree with the actions of the chapter" or "it doesn't bother me" and move on without letting that tarnish what the movement as a whole means. I think what needs to happen is articles such as this are going to have to start using better titles for their articles and maybe do more investigation into these local chapters.

How is this not ban worthy racism?
It's fact. Get involved in racial activism and politics on a local, national, or even global level. Look at your local BLM's Facebook group or Twitter. The exact same bullshit arguments, deflections, and defensiveness you see from white people on the Internet all over forums and comment sections are happening out there in real life. Hillary Clinton does it right to BLM's face.

Jonm1010

Banned
Here's my take on the "including white people" thing: we've been included in civil rights this whole time, and what have we shown for it?
A movement needs allies to be successful.

To me turning away or excluding well meaning and willing people to your cause is probably making things harder then it needs to be.

I can understand in certain situations a blacks only discussion but to want to exclude non people of color generally seems rather unwise.

I mean, if you think BLM is this concerned with identity politics to a judgmental level, then okay. I'm pretty sure they just want white people to do anything while they keep their focus centered on black and queer leadership, as it says on their website. Pro-black =/= anti-white. You'll find plenty of awesome white people in every BLM group.

Well, not this Nashville chapter apparently.

You can argue with some proof that the general public has no interest in balancing the scales, but you can't preclude people right off the bat.

Also, I think some of you should go back and take a look at your posts in threads about race before you get too jumpy about Liu and Coffee Dog

stufte

This is in direct conflict with your original post in this thread.

Sky Saw

Banned
It's fact. Get involved in racial activism and politics on a local, national, or even global level. Look at your local BLM's Facebook group or Twitter. The exact same bullshit arguments, deflections, and defensiveness you see from white people on the Internet all over forums and comment sections are happening out there in real life. Hillary Clinton does it right to BLM's face.

Stop generalising people based on their race.

If you want to have a private assembly you have to pay for the space to be private. The fact they didn't want white people there isn't racism however.

Quixzlizx

“Due to white supremacy in our local government, this week’s BLM General Body Meeting location has changed,” a notice posted Friday on the Nashville chapter of Black Lives Matter’s Facebook page reads. The notice says the group’s meetings are “open to black and non-black people of color only."

Now that's a temper tantrum.

Hydrus

This sounds pretty racist...

Guevara

Yikes.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
All else aside, the public library was just following the laws it is required to follow. It lacked any freedom to make a decision here, so there's not even really "sides" to be drawn.

Althane

But that's not limited to civil rights or anything. The same level of political discourse occurs for everything; you will have a few educated people who are able to have the conversation at a higher level, able to discuss things and come up with new ideas.

Everyone else is just going to rehash the same conversation over and over again. Look at gun control, abortion, euthanasia... nothing new under the sun.

It's not a white people or black people thing. It's a human thing.

It is FANTASTIC that we're making this about "reverse racism" and certain people's hurt feelings.

Hey, guys?

I don't agree with their general stance, but for those of you who are doing this, maybe this type of behavior is why that BLM chapter is sticking so hard and fast to the "no white people" rule.

Maybe take a second and think about that?

This is in direct conflict with your original post in this thread.
Black people not trusting white people on sight isn't some new thing. Neither is black people knowing trustworthy white people, with everyone involved stepping up to help each other.

It is FANTASTIC that we're making this about "reverse racism" and certain people's hurt feelings.

Hey, guys?

I don't agree with their general stance, but for those of you who are doing this, maybe this type of behavior is why that BLM chapter is sticking so hard and fast to the "no white people" rule.

Yep, this.

Walpurgis

Banned
Im with the library on this one. Also, we shouldn't exclude white people who are down with the movement as well.
I agree. More allies is always good and I would feel horrible saying no to someone who wants to help me.

Have you been to black activist meetings? White people that show up are generally the same kinds you see on the Internet: either they don't actually care and just want to troll/rebel somehow, or they care but get super divisive and defensive over their ideas, because no one's ever told them "no" in their life. It's all the exact same distractions and arguments and bullshit you'll see happen here on GAF when Black Lives Matter is discussed.
This is also a problem. I remember a thread on NeoGAF a few months ago about some Facebook conflict between white people and black people at a college. At first it appeared to me that the white guy was a BLM ally since he set up his own meeting or something. I later discovered that he was some kind of saboteur and was purposely stirring trouble up by scheduling his meeting at the same time as BLM's (with only white people attending) and other stuff. I can definitely understand why this BLM chapter would do this but I don't agree with it. I think it is better to deal with those types of people on a case-by-case basis than to just assume that all white people that attend BLM meetings are like that.

Dennis

Banned

Hey, guys?

No whites allowed is straight up racist. No ifs, no buts.

It is pretty much a deal breaker. The library had no choice here. And it is not even about hurt feelings. It is clear cut racism.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Im a huge supporter of diversity and blm but you cant make restrictions based on race, especially on publicly funded places.

Race is not something absolute that can be objectively determined. What if you are pale but have African ancestry? What if you are dark but not African? One drop rule?

The whole concept of safe spaces is bullshit tbh. You can have events and institutions targeting communities, but you cant exclude people arbitrarily.

If someone is trolling or not supportive kick em out. You can't exclude people based on appearance alone.

This is not racism or reverse racism. I just think it's not a smart strategy. I dont agree with safe spaces.

royalan

A movement needs allies to be successful.

False.

A movement needs to empower its people to be successful. BLM as a movement is about getting black people to remember that we are a strength and a force in this country, and to remind us that we have the right to demand the same rights and treatment as everyone else, regardless of whether or not you like us.

Allies are cool, but they aren't the point.

Imm0rt4l

Hey, guys?

This thread is seriously meta AS FUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom